Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

19. Jonathan Allen, Washington Redskins

Next on this list is a young stud interior rusher that the Redskins stole in the 2017 NFL Draft. Allen’s career got off to a rocky start after being placed on IR his rookie year from a Lisfranc injury, but he’s rebounded to play in 31 games the last two seasons and has logged 14 sacks, 43 pressures, 31 QB hits, and 18 tackles for loss. Allen is on the cusp of breaking out into one of the game’s youngest superstars.

14. Matt Ioannidis, Washington Redskins

Ioannidis might be a surprise addition on this list to many, but he’s been one of the most underrated players in the NFL over the last two seasons. Ioannidis is one of the best pass-rushers on this list, despite not possessing the elite physical traits of other players. He was double-teamed on 65% on his snaps last year but still managed to capture 8.5 sacks, 11 TFLs, 35 pressures, and 16 QB hits.

Honorable mentions

Linval Joseph
Ndamukong Suh
Gerald McCoy
Sheldon Rankins
Michael Brockers
Michael Pierce
Brandon Williams
Da’Ron Payne

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

19. Jonathan Allen, Washington Redskins

Next on this list is a young stud interior rusher that the Redskins stole in the 2017 NFL Draft. Allen’s career got off to a rocky start after being placed on IR his rookie year from a Lisfranc injury, but he’s rebounded to play in 31 games the last two seasons and has logged 14 sacks, 43 pressures, 31 QB hits, and 18 tackles for loss. Allen is on the cusp of breaking out into one of the game’s youngest superstars.

14. Matt Ioannidis, Washington Redskins

Ioannidis might be a surprise addition on this list to many, but he’s been one of the most underrated players in the NFL over the last two seasons. Ioannidis is one of the best pass-rushers on this list, despite not possessing the elite physical traits of other players. He was double-teamed on 65% on his snaps last year but still managed to capture 8.5 sacks, 11 TFLs, 35 pressures, and 16 QB hits.

Honorable mentions

Linval Joseph
Ndamukong Suh
Gerald McCoy
Sheldon Rankins
Michael Brockers
Michael Pierce
Brandon Williams
Da’Ron Payne

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this line can be so good, and we can be so bad.  Nuance is a thing, i get that... but man,  this D-line is a unit that has some serious ability. 

Edited by OVCChairman
1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this line can be so good, and we can be so bad.  Nuance is a thing, i get that... but man,  this D-line is a unit that has some serious ability. 

C59341E5-6675-44B6-8AFD-A7D81B094128.thumb.jpeg.42fcbaff5f9ab6f71e5c5a9a957e24f8.jpeg

(and Here I was sad I wouldn’t get to use that image again.)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I also think our LBs are really bad. So many times the DL did their job and flooded runners right to the LBs only for them to completely whiff. We need a major overhaul at LB unless Cole Holcomb and Ryan Anderson really take that next step up.

• Like 2

If our on-paper talent ever translates to on-field success, especially on defense, not doubt that 2017 is where the foundation started (for me) with Jonathan Allen. Just set a tone of an identity.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 1
On 5/6/2020 at 7:48 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I like seeing this from Del Rio, pure class.  No scapegoating-hate, just plow ahead and focus on winning

I agree.  That said, Manusky was a HUGE problem.  To the extent the 'Skins tried to replace him but couldn't find anybody willing to take the job.  If he was a halfway decent coach, or even remotely respected, his next gig would be slightly more impressive than the defensive quality control coach for the university of Kentucky Wildcats.  

Jack might not com out and say it, but I bet both he and Ron looked at the roster, looked at the coaching, and said, "we can do better than that, even if we don't upgrade the players immediately."  Ron keeps saying he likes the young players on the roster.

Jack had nothing to gain by throwing Manusky under the bus publicly.  However, privately, I'm sure there is a lot of "what in the world were they doing???" going on during film study.  

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I also think our LBs are really bad. So many times the DL did their job and flooded runners right to the LBs only for them to completely whiff. We need a major overhaul at LB unless Cole Holcomb and Ryan Anderson really take that next step up.

Yeah, I somewhat agree, but the other thing I saw a lot was LBs just flat late to the spot.  Like the DL was funneling the play to one spot, but the fill LB was really slow getting there.

That could be due to bad players.  It also could be due to just horrendous preparation.  Game day coaching and scheme is one thing, however I just don't think this team ever prepared correctly under the previous coaching staff.  Part of that is on the players, no question.  However, preparing the team to play is a HUGE component of the coaches job.  And the number of times it looked like miscommunication and players slow to react was just astounding.  You just don't see that on well prepared and coached teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Who decided Ioannidis doesn't have " elite physical traits"? I'd like to see someone without "elite physical traits" toss an NFL guard from gap to gap with one arm or bull rush 300 + pounds 7 yards into the backfield. 

7 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Making them play in a predominantly 2 gap scheme was a crime against football. 

Edited by Berggy9598
22 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree.  That said, Manusky was a HUGE problem.  To the extent the 'Skins tried to replace him but couldn't find anybody willing to take the job.  If he was a halfway decent coach, or even remotely respected, his next gig would be slightly more impressive than the defensive quality control coach for the university of Kentucky Wildcats.  

Holy crap... I thought you were joking. I just googled him. Dude really went from NFL coordinator to shoe shine guy for a crappy SEC college football team. That says it all.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
14 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Holy crap... I thought you were joking. I just googled him. Dude really went from NFL coordinator to shoe shine guy for a crappy SEC college football team. That says it all.

Why would I lie to you? :P

Seriously, I’m not sure why he would take that job. Unless he desperately needs the money.  

But not to land a position coach in either the NFL or college is WILD.  

Btw, shoe shine guys are madly skilled.  Probably more skilled than Manusky.

15 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Apologies, this is obviously coming in way late but has there confirmation by Rivera or Del Rio that the 4-3 will be the base?  Or is this still speculation?

It was confirmed in Ron’s first presser.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 2
50 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So WHY did Gruden bet his job on this guy???? THEN didn't change him mid season when CLEARLY he was in over his head?? WTF?? You had Ryan sitting there and he didn't take the life line. THAT IS DEMONSTRATIVELY STUPID.

How that crew was chosen to lead the skins is beyond me

3 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So WHY did Gruden bet his job on this guy???? THEN didn't change him mid season when CLEARLY he was in over his head?? WTF?? You had Ryan sitting there and he didn't take the life line. THAT IS DEMONSTRATIVELY STUPID.

It's like being the captain of the Titanic and deliberately looking for icebergs to crash into

"Gotta be one out here somewhere. man. Gonna find me a big sucker. Big like Perine. I love Perine"

• Haha 1
On 5/6/2020 at 2:05 PM, Anselmheifer said:

im also excited to see Foster. If he returns to health, it would be so huge for us. We’d be an all pro corner away from a defense that could drag a crappy offense to the playoffs every year. 

I doubt Foster plays again.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Why would I lie to you? :P

Seriously, I’m not sure why he would take that job. Unless he desperately needs the money.  

But not to land a position coach in either the NFL or college is WILD.  

Btw, she shine guys are madly skilled.  Probably more skilled than Manusky.

It was confirmed in Ron’s first presser.

I was excited about the Manusky hire too. Former skins guy that was looking for his shot, etc.

We looked so lost and unprepared last year it was just embarrassing to watch. Like genuine feel bad for the players bad.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

How does that even happen? Going from NFL DC to a college defensive quality control assistant? That's like going from being the CTO of one company to being 1st level tech support at another. Either he figured he had plenty of money and went the Lester Burnham route and found the easiest job with the least responsibility possible, or he's just that goddamn bad at coaching football.

Edited by mistertim

Have to believe money was a primary factor in many of the coaches and front office executives keeping their jobs after the 2018 season. Absolutely no reason to keep it all together after that season other than money/contracts, IMO. 

13 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Dan was an idiot and hired His buddy Bruce.

Bruce was an idiot and hired His buddy Jay.

Jay was an idiot and retained his buddy Haz, hired His buddy Barry, then promoted his buddy Manusky and  when he probably wanted to ax Greg, couldn’t find anybody to take the job.

Ryan would have been no better. Most of the folks on the defensive staff were bad.

So, basically it comes down to one idiot hiring a buddy idiot.  its just a pitty none of these guys had better buddies.

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

Have to believe money was a primary factor in many of the coaches and front office executives keeping their jobs after the 2018 season. Absolutely no reason to keep it all together after that season other than money/contracts, IMO. 

No, we were close.  Bruce kept saying it.  He sold it to Dan and Dan bought it.  They honest to God thought thought with Case or Colt they could press for the playoffs.  They were the only ones.

Actually, I kinda think one reason Bruce got whacked is because Dan was reading all the negative predictions about the team going into the year, and Bruce convinced him it was just negative media stuff.  Then it all came true.  

A6ABA243-4325-4D3C-9935-C2D8D185662A.gif.3954144561756b77cdbeac45be4ac5de.gif

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Sweat - Allen - Ionaidis - Payne - Young

LB 1, LB2

CB1, CB2, SS, FS

5-2-4, because you don't keep any of your 5 best defensive players off the field for some linebacker.

That’s basically the 3-4...