Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

I was initially thinking we didn't have a WILL on the roster, but it looks like Holcomb is suited to play that role.  We may be looking to upgrade, but good to know we have someone who can be in the rotation.  Hopefully RR and JDR can coach him up, Cole definitely has the right attitude and work ethic.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cole-holcomb?id=3219484f-4c00-6318-dfc2-c03b54847fbe

Speedy run-and-chase linebacker with the eyes and instincts to diagnose and respond quickly, but lacking critical take-on skill at the point of attack. He has sideline-to-sideline range but he needs to play less reactively and with a more urgent play demeanor in attacking downhill. Holcomb's outstanding pro day numbers should push his draft value up the board as a three-down backup WILL linebacker and core special teamer.

1 hour ago, Murphs56 said:

Interesting to see how Von Miller was utilized in Bullock's article under Del Rio. Can we see Allen and Sweat on the ends, Payne and Ioannidis as the tackles and Young lining up as the Sam?

Don't they line up Von Miller all over the place though? I could see the SAM thing with him because he's relatively small for a traditional 4-3 DE. 

Either way, I've watched Allen play 4-3 DE in some film cutups of him when he was at Bama; Saban uses all sorts of formations so it wasn't surprising to see it every so often. It wasn't pretty. He kinda sucked as a 4-3 DE. I mentioned this either in this thread or another one earlier. He doesn't have the flexibility to bend the edge against Tackles, he doesn't have the length to get into a Tackle's pads before they can get into his, and he's not fast enough to beat them that way. It was a marked departure. He went from incredible to incredibly pedestrian. 

IMO Allen is a straight up 3 tech DT, and he's a beast there. That's where you're going to get the production from him. Stick him somewhere else (or use him as a 2 gapper) and he'll be able to do it, but it would be a waste of his talents and he'd only be mediocre at it probably. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Don't they line up Von Miller all over the place though? I could see the SAM thing with him because he's relatively small for a traditional 4-3 DE. 

Either way, I've watched Allen play 4-3 DE in some film cutups of him when he was at Bama; Saban uses all sorts of formations so it wasn't surprising to see it every so often. It wasn't pretty. He kinda sucked as a 4-3 DE. I mentioned this either in this thread or another one earlier. He doesn't have the flexibility to bend the edge against Tackles, he doesn't have the length to get into a Tackle's pads before they can get into his, and he's not fast enough to beat them that way. It was a marked departure. He went from incredible to incredibly pedestrian. 

IMO Allen is a straight up 3 tech DT, and he's a beast there. That's where you're going to get the production from him. Stick him somewhere else (or use him as a 2 gapper) and he'll be able to do it, but it would be a waste of his talents and he'd only be mediocre at it probably. 

well, what about Ionnaddis at 4-3 end

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

I disagree on a couple of points:  1) Tampa 2 is not required for the 4-3 front, 2) there's a never-ending discussion of the proper weight for DEs in a 4-3 front.  But it depends more on what you want the player to do in the scheme, e.g., pure pass rusher versus mainly run stopper versus all-of-the-above.  Sweat weighs 262 so he's more than heavy enough to play DE - and I don't recall teams targeting him in running plays anyway.  Allen, on the other hand, is around 310lbs and that is way too heavy IMO to play LDE.  I view Allen as a DT but if the new Skins don't have a good role for him they should trade him for a needed player or draft capital.  I can see Kerrigan playing LDE as well but the issue will be his contract considering the other players available to play the position.  Skins could try to renegotiate his contract or trade him for a player or draft capital.

This is fair. And I wrote that before we knew Del Rio was going to be our DC. He plays very little Tampa 2. So I dont expect to see it. As far as Allen goes he is 265 pounds. My only negative about him moving to 4-3 end is his bend. But he has the speed and is the perfect size for the strong side.

2 hours ago, Murphs56 said:

Interesting to see how Von Miller was utilized in Bullock's article under Del Rio. Can we see Allen and Sweat on the ends, Payne and Ioannidis as the tackles and Young lining up as the Sam?

I would assume young would be one of the ends, not an olb.  But I'm not sure if there would be some looks where young is used like that.  In del Rios 4-3, I know the olb line up based on strong side of the offense, does anyone know if the d ends do the same?  Is there a strong side and weak side d end, or is there a left end and a right end?

6 minutes ago, carex said:

well, what about Ionnaddis at 4-3 end

He's probably even less flexible and slower than Allen. IMO none of our interior guys are suited in any way, shape, or form to be 4-3 DEs. I think it would be an exercise in futility and would be wasting their talents. 

As of right now our 4-3 DEs would be Sweat and Kerrigan. I'm guessing/hoping that after the draft it will be Young/Sweat. Which is their natural position and what they played in college.

Rivera and Del Rio should like the leader of the Skins D.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/national/story/2019-12-03/old-school-jonathan-allen-provides-hope-for-redskins-future%3f_amp=true

ASHBURN, Va. — 

Jonathan Allen turns on NFL Films and inspiration hits him with the force of one of his sacks.

Defensive linemen of the past making plays and harassing quarterbacks flash across the TV. Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, “Mean” Joe Greene, Bruce Smith and Richard Dent all sport heavy helmets with the bar down the middle of the facemask, and Allen wants to look like them.

“I thought it was the coolest thing,” Allen said. “I was like, ‘I’m going to try it out,’ tried it out and loved it. That’s my facemask for the rest of my career.”

The vintage facemask perfectly fits Allen, a throwback player who looks and acts as if he’s from a bygone era. At 24, he’s already the Washington Redskins’ most vocal leader, and his old-school style mixed with his bull-rushing abilities provide hope for the franchise’s future that he’ll be a difference-maker like the titans of yesteryear he’s trying to emulate.

“Jon is one of those extra-mile guys,” fellow defensive tackle Tim Settle said. “He goes the distance. He wants everybody to know that he’s giving it his all and he’s going lead us how he’s supposed to lead us. He wants us to give it our all like he gives his all, and he wants us to play at our best ability.”

Allen is a vintage player on and off the field: He has 44 tackles and five sacks in his third pro season but believes sacks don’t tell the whole story. He also doesn’t think he’s doing anything special by strapping on a heavier helmet and speaking up in the locker room at such a tender age.

“My goal isn’t to be throwback,” Allen said. “My goal’s just to have my own personality and my own identity, and that’s really just a guy who plays hard and plays the game the right way, the way it should be and just plays to win.”

Allen won a national title at Alabama, but at the NFL level, he’s only been part of 13 victories in 32 games since the Redskins took him in the first round in 2017.

Washington is 3-9 this year in spite of Allen’s play. Many of his older teammates won’t be back next season, but Allen will, which makes him such an important voice as a pillar of the organization’s future.

“We respect him a lot,” veteran linebacker Ryan Kerrigan said. “He commands respect by the way that he works, by the way that he prepares in meetings and whatnot. He’s an easy guy to look to for leadership.”

Allen talks about leading by example, but it’s much more than that. He’s not afraid to speak up and is figuring out which players respond to different types of motivational tactics.

There’s not really one way that you can get a whole team to respond,” Allen said. “It’s always a learning process. You never get to the point where you fully know 100%, so I’m always learning and growing.”

That growth is on display each week by Allen putting together his own personal highlight reel that could one day land on NFL Films. Settle chuckles at the facemask while admiring Allen adopting it and setting the tone every day.

“It just brings it back to his personality,” Settle said. “Jon is not a follower. He has his own style. He has his own thing, and he don’t care what you say about it because he’s going to make plays. How he looks, he doesn’t care. He’s going to bring it, he’s going to be relentless in his effort and he’s going to give it his all.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/01/jack-del-rio-defensive-coordinator-redskins-ron-rivera/

In confirming his hire Wednesday morning, Del Rio said he will run a 4-3 defense — a dramatic change from the 3-4 scheme Washington had been using. The new scheme should emphasize one of Washington’s biggest strengths — a group of gifted defensive linemen that includes recent first-round picks Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne, as well as rising star Matt Ioannidis and Tim Settle, who played well last season. Pass rusher Montez Sweat, a first-round pick last spring, also could benefit from the new defense, as might Ryan Kerrigan, whose statistics declined last season

For now, it appears the defense is Rivera’s biggest target for improvement.

Many coaches and talent evaluators around the NFL have wondered over the past two seasons why previous defensive coordinator Greg Manusky kept running a 3-4, believing the players on the Redskins’ defense better fit a 4-3. The Redskins were 27th in the NFL in yards allowed this past season and 15th the season before.

“They’re playing the wrong defense. That unit is way too good,” said one NFL assistant coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was talking about another team.

Allen, a player who stands to benefit most from the new scheme, said he was excited about the new defense but cautioned that it will take some time to learn the system.

“We haven’t played in it in the last three years,” Allen said Wednesday. “Going back to college, me and Payne [Allen’s teammate at Alabama] haven’t played in it since high school, pretty much. So it’s definitely going to take a little bit of an adjustment period, but I’m very optimistic and I have a good feeling about what switching to a 4-3 can do for us.

“Anytime you go from a 3-4 to a 4-3, it allows the defensive line to have more opportunities to make plays in the backfield. So that’s kind of the biggest thing,” Allen added.

“For Ron, this is another professional you don’t have to worry about,” Davis said. “Jack Del Rio walks through that door, and kids may not know as much about him, but they will immediately sense that they should. It won’t take long for it to get around. …

“This is another legit guy. I don’t want to go all ‘Goodfellas,' but he’s a made man,” he continued. “For a team that’s trying to get on its feet, to have that kind of professionalism walk through the door and present itself every day, it’s a big deal.”

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

This is fair. And I wrote that before we knew Del Rio was going to be our DC. He plays very little Tampa 2. So I dont expect to see it. As far as Allen goes he is 265 pounds. My only negative about him moving to 4-3 end is his bend. But he has the speed and is the perfect size for the strong side.

He was 265 as a senior in College but Allen was 286 at the combine and has added some weight since then. He will probably in the 290-295 range.

He is not going to play more than a few snaps at 7 tech. He will play 3 and 5 tech.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:09 AM, Warhead36 said:

Play the best players and let the coaches figure it out. Why the hell else do we pay them?

I agree with this. We can’t worry about a log jam if Chase Young is viewed as highly as what many are projecting.  When you  draft for need that high in the draft you can get into real trouble. 

We could end up rotating our Defensive Tackles more. That isn’t a horrible strategy. 

On 12/30/2019 at 4:25 PM, KDawg said:

I don’t know. I think if you’re judging on potential I think CB is much more sound than ILB. 

You need seven DBs vs three LBs.  That's the main issue.  The third corner will see the field more than the third linebacker.  You can also use a box safety and overhang player like Landon Collins as a de facto nickel linebacker since we have him in the fold.

Dunbar is great when he can stay on the field, and certainly better than any of our linebackers.  And Collins is a legit good player.  But aside from them, we don't have much.  Moreland and Apke might be something, but they're still projects.  I'm quickly losing my patience with Fabian Moreau and Montae Nicholson, and could stand to see both replaced.  That leaves us needing probably three new rotation caliber DBs for next year, plus we need another two or three guys for injury depth.  We have solutions at linebacker in house and probably only need like one more outside guy, and it probably won't take a lot of money to find someone.  DB will be expensive.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:43 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So much just depends on scheme, and what the DC wants to do.

I don't think 4-3 and 3-4 alignment matter as much as what the DL is supposed to do after the snap.  If they're all 2 gapping (the Manusky special), then we won't see much of any difference.

I think it will be a big difference for the guys who are moving back to DL from linebacker.  They're not going to be zone dropping nearly as much any more.  4-3 emphasizes our team strength as our defensive linemen are about a thousand times better than our linebackers.  And that will be skewed even more if we draft Chase Young, as he and Montez Sweat would be the two highest upside players on the roster, regardless of how they're coached to play the run.  It makes sense to build our scheme around them.

There are other cool early down wrinkles we can more easily incorporate into a four man front like shifting our edge players inside to one and three technique alignments.  Chase Young over center is a **** your pants scenario for even a good center.  Oregon did it with Kayvon Thibedeaux last night on the interception that Jack Coan threw.  Thibedeaux just blew by Biadasz, who is probably the best center at the CFB level, and created the pressure that resulted in the pick.  These kinds of looks are potent weapons that are more easily available to 4 man fronts.

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You need seven DBs vs three LBs.  That's the main issue.  The third corner will see the field more than the third linebacker.  You can also use a box safety and overhang player like Landon Collins as a de facto nickel linebacker since we have him in the fold.

Dunbar is great when he can stay on the field, and certainly better than any of our linebackers.  And Collins is a legit good player.  But aside from them, we don't have much.  Moreland and Apke might be something, but they're still projects.  I'm quickly losing my patience with Fabian Moreau and Montae Nicholson, and could stand to see both replaced.  That leaves us needing probably three new rotation caliber DBs for next year, plus we need another two or three guys for injury depth.  We have solutions at linebacker in house and probably only need like one more outside guy, and it probably won't take a lot of money to find someone.  DB will be expensive.

I think that's the rub. I'm higher on Moreland and Moreau than you are.

I don't think they're answers, persay, which is why I believe CB is a need. But we have guys who can see the field at CB at the moment. Upgrades are necessary. I'd rather have Moreau as a depth guy and Moreland as a dime back. But I don't see a single true OLB candidate on the roster.

But other than semantics of where we place priorities, I think we are in full agreement that DB and OLB are tremendous needs.

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I havn't seen anyone bring this up, but both of our Top 2 coaches, Rivera and JDR, are also former NFL Linebackers.

And pretty darn good ones.

That should definitely provide some relief about the LB position.

I've brought that up a bunch of times. Not only that, but they're from the 85 Bears tree of LBers.

There is also talk about Dan Morgan as a possible GM candidate.

Now matter what happens, I'm pretty sure our defense is going to get extremely good, very quickly.  :ols: 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think that's the rub. I'm higher on Moreland and Moreau than you are.

I don't think they're answers, persay, which is why I believe CB is a need. But we have guys who can see the field at CB at the moment. Upgrades are necessary. I'd rather have Moreau as a depth guy and Moreland as a dime back. But I don't see a single true OLB candidate on the roster.

But other than semantics of where we place priorities, I think we are in full agreement that DB and OLB are tremendous needs. 

I'd feel much more comfortable playing SDH and Holcomb a ton of snaps than I would Moreau.  I think we can also reliably pluck a rotation LB with a late pick like a sixth or seventh rounder or get one with a cheap vet FA deal.

I'm happy to wait on Moreland, but Moreau was really bad this year, worse than Moreland in coverage and run support.  He's not getting better and he's entering his fourth year, so unless he makes a big leap, this will be his last season here.  i think his weakness in the slot is a major limitation as you really need guys who can fluidly move inside and outside, so I no longer think Moreau's upside is high.  He's an unreliable veteran player at this point.  We need a corner from outside who can come in and play 900+ snaps well, and that is going to be expensive.  That's a fire that needs to be put out that we don't have a credible option for in house, and there is virtually no chance that our secondary performs well next season without addressing that need.  A lot also depends on Apke.  If he can make a big jump and give us 900+ strong snaps, that would fix a lot of issues.  But I'm not totally willing to make that bet and it would be nice to have a third option at safety that is better than Montae Nicholson.  And we also need a third corner who can give us ~500 legitimately good snaps and that's probably not Moreland yet.  Those are the sort of minimum additions it will take to go from a bad secondary to a legitimately good one.  It's going to take mid to high picks and money.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

i think his weakness in the slot is a major limitation as you really need guys who can fluidly move inside and outside, so I no longer think Moreau's upside is high.  He's an unreliable veteran player at this point.  We need a corner from outside who can come in and play 900+ snaps well, and that is going to be expensive.  That's a fire that needs to be put out that we don't have a credible option for in house, and there is virtually no chance that our secondary performs well next season without addressing that need.  A lot also depends on Apke.  If he can make a big jump and give us 900+ strong snaps, that would fix a lot of issues.  But I'm not totally willing to make that bet and it would be nice to have a third option at safety that is better than Montae Nicholson.  And we also need a third corner who can give us ~500 legitimately good snaps and that's probably not Moreland yet.  Those are the sort of minimum additions it will take to go from a bad secondary to a legitimately good one.  It's going to take mid to high picks and money.

I don't disagree with any of this. Especially the Moreau versatility issue. His ability to not play in the slot is a significant issue. Dunbar's health is an issue as well. So CB is a definitive need.

As far as the OLB stuff goes, man, I really didn't like our LB play this season. SDH/Holcomb were out of position and slow to react entirely too often. It also seems they both struggle to shed blocks. And either one at OLB scares me in ways I can't describe. SDH less so from a coverage perspective.

I'm a little higher on them in nickel situations, but still, I didn't like how they played this season in the nickel. And Foster is a non-entity. 

Regardless of where you rate them, I think FS, CB and OLB are the absolute most glaring needs on this roster. I don't particularly care how they're addressed. FA, draft, our HC/DC coaching them up to be better. Whatever. They just need to be improved if this team is going to be worth a damn this season.

All three are much more glaring than tight end. Though, that's  an issue as well.

I see Collins being used in the same way as Thomas Davis. Kind of a hybrid LB/SS.

The front will likely consist of two packages: a run package and a pass package.

Run package: Young and Ion at DE. Allen and Payne at DT. Possibly see Settle in as well at times.

Pass package: Young and Sweat at DE. Ion and Allen at DT. Or we could have some crazy 5 man DL front on super obvious pass downs and put Payne in and have each lineman go mano y mano against an OL.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I see Collins being used in the same way as Thomas Davis. Kind of a hybrid LB/SS.

The front will likely consist of two packages: a run package and a pass package.

Run package: Young and Ion at DE. Allen and Payne at DT. Possibly see Settle in as well at times.

Pass package: Young and Sweat at DE. Ion and Allen at DT. Or we could have some crazy 5 man DL front on super obvious pass downs and put Payne in and have each lineman go mano y mano against an OL.

Too obvious of a personnel switch, in my opinion. Offenses can absolutely destroy you if you do that. Especially a team with tight ends like Philly. Coming out in x2 personnel and having the team juggle our personnel is a critical mistake.

Young* and Sweat are okay against the run. Kerrigan and Orchard as well. 

I don't think we should get too cute. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

As far as the OLB stuff goes, man, I really didn't like our LB play this season. SDH/Holcomb were out of position and slow to react entirely too often. It also seems they both struggle to shed blocks. And either one at OLB scares me in ways I can't describe. SDH less so from a coverage perspective. 

I'm a little higher on them in nickel situations, but still, I didn't like how they played this season in the nickel. And Foster is a non-entity. 

The LBer play as a group was flat out bad, but SDH's play as an individual was decent.  Legitimately great in coverage no less, he got an 89.7 coverage grade from PFF this year which is just shy of elite. Problem is we only got 400 defensive snaps from him.  We played worse players ahead of him in Bostic and Holcomb.  I think he's a clear candidate to start and play a ton more snaps next season.  He's your WILL for next year, and he can probably play on the strong side too.

Holcomb was flat out terrible in coverage with a 43.4 grade.  But his run defense was passable at 71.3.  His overall grade of 56.0 is not good at all.  Especially since he played just under 2/3rds of our defensive snaps.  But like with Moreland, I'm willing to be patient with him.  I think you start him at MIKE next season (unless we get an upgrade) and just keep his coverage duties as simple as possible.  Middle zones and curls and flats.

Anderson will rotate between OLB and DE as needed, probably good for at least another 500+ defensive snaps.  And we can fill in depth with a mid to late round pick.  A guy like Chris Orr is a beast and he's a projected 4th round pick.  TJ Brunson is a projected 6th or 7th rounder.  Bituli from Tennessee is projected in that range.  There will be names late in the process that we can count on for depth and special teams snaps.

I think Reuben Foster is no less of a factor or flyer than Moreau.  Both going into a critical fourth year.  Both have an injury history.  The big difference between them is Foster has actually played at a high level before.  If his rehab has gone well and he's ready for Training Camp in 2020, he could win the WILL job outright and be a really good one.  We don't have anyone with that kind of upside at DB, and we'll probably need more of them.  That's where we need the most outside help IMO, and hopefully we'll be able to spend in free agency to fix the issues.  At the end of the day, you have to draft BPA at your picks, so it might be that linebacker is the best option early on, day two and such.  But IMO the best outcome for us is for DB to be BPA for us early and often.

Re: Keim's tweet about Kerrigan, he feels like a luxury if we draft Chase Young.  It'd be nice to have a third edge rusher whose better than Ryan Anderson, so we could keep the snap counts of all of them from climbing too high.

But given that he'll be an expiring contract, that kind of depth is for a team with real superbowl aspirations.  I don't see a 49ers-esque defensive turnaround coming for next season, they have way more really good defensive backs than us and more offensive line talent.  So getting a draft pick for Kerrigan instead of watching him walk for nothing after a season that will probably top out at 7 or 8 wins would be nice.

Allen, Payne, Ion, Kerrigan, Sweat, Settle, Brantley, Hester, Chase Young........that's 9 guys I've counted on the D-Line.

Holcomb, Reuben Foster, Anderson, Dion-Hamilton, Bostic, Harvey-Clemons, Odom, Orchard....8 linebackers.

- It seems to me that we have a bigger need in the linebacker area and a surplus on the defensive line assuming we take Young at #2? 

- How Kerrigan stays I don't know. He's older and we save a ton of money by moving on from him. There seems to be too much depth at DL, especially if we draft Young....all that said, if any Redskin deserves to be here if/when this defense turns around it Kerrigan. 

- I think the Skins need to look hard at free agent safeties or figure out a way to get a real compliment to Collins. The depth at d-line has to have Del Rio salivating, especially given how young they all are outside of Kerrigan. Bruce certainly did not leave the cupboard bare. 

Archived