Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: STATEMENT BY WASHINGTON #REDSKINS OWNER DAN SNYDER-BRUCE ALLEN FIRED

TK

Bruce Allen was miserable at his job in DC and Tampa. He has a horrible league reputation and my opinion is the guy is a scum bag (see various media hit jobs, etc.). A few hits on draft picks don't change that and the idea that he was just running harvest fest and picking uniforms while Shanny and Scott were here is comical. Bottom line the guy's track is lousy and I'll pretty confident no other team is going to touch him.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They need to address injury prevention--the Nationals did something similar after 2015, blew out their staff. Depends on what Hess role in the injuries was. It's hard for me to assess him personally, rather than the department as a whole. Does that make sense?

Totally get it, it’s just hard to think you need to make sweeping changes to that staff while ignoring the guy in charge of that staff. It’s bottom up stuff. 

Anyway, let’s wait and see. 

But I couldn’t be happier this is, at the very least, being addressed in some way. 

I’ve been on the “something is definitely wrong with the Athletic Training Staff” thing for a long time and pretty much by my lonesome, lol. Most don’t even know the difference between that staff, the Medical staff, and the Strength and Conditioning Staff.  I made this a couple weeks ago about what I needed to see after Bruce’s removal: 

I then need to see that person able to make whatever changes he wants in the scouting department, Athletic Training Staff, and then of course being the guy who carries out the hiring process of a new coach. We need to get a constant stream of info coming out about just how much is changing in terms of the structure and hierarchy, how various roles are being empowered as opposed to before, along with the admission that they were wrong at a fundamental, organizational, structural level that belied basic established principles. 

https://es.redskins.com/topic/418348-the-bruce-allengm-thread/?do=findComment&comment=11662608

So while it’s not happening exactly how I wanted, it’s something. And I’m happy about that. :) 

45 minutes ago, Art said:

We are getting Rivera because of the players Bruce has put on the team in his three years in full control since Scot's run left us with precisely one good draft pick before he went nuts.   The article is actually right.   The core has enough promise that Bruce is to be thanked for finding players in one offseason to turn us from a really bad place to land to a preferred place.   This time a year ago we would NEVER have been close to getting a guy with the reputation of Rivera.   Haskins, Guice, McLaurin on rookie deals make this an attractive option because even if they suck, no one will blame the next coach, as that all goes to Allen.   :)

Sure, by the same token a lot of proven talent has withered under his watch as well.

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

But I couldn’t be happier this is, at the very least, being addressed in some way. 

Fact! The article I read about the Nats changes after the disastrous 2015 season included a trainer who specialized in soft-tissue injuries fom the EPL and changed their whole approach.

Hopefully Snyder has that kind of vision. Doubt it. But hopefully.

23 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Wait, what!? Why would he be safe if his own employees were an issue? 

Ugh, just when I was starting to get really excited.

It’s really hard to believe he had no hand in the issues there, but maybe it was more about being undermined in his role and the structure than his job. I don’t know. 😕 

He added this as well:

So, full hope is still alive!!! :) 

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Per walterfootball.com

redskinsb_logo.gif Redskins fire team president Bruce Allen: D Grade 
This is a move the media has greatly applauded this morning. It seems as though the consensus in the press is that firing Bruce Allen was a tremendous decision by the Redskins. The media, as usual, is wrong. 

Allen built a promising, young group that could contend for the playoffs soon, and also had plenty of cap space to spend this offseason. Yet, the circle-jerking media, which has not accepted responsibility for being dead wrong about the Cousins stance, is thrilled about this decision. They have an irrational hatred for Allen, perhaps because of his politics, so despite what they say, this is not a move that will benefit the Redskins over the long haul.

This reads like a sanitized Deadspin article.

If the Dan does blow up the medical staff then that would have to open Trent's eyes and at least make him re-think things. It would likely be happening because of Trent's conversation with him. 

I said it before,  I think this Trent thing has a ways to go before playing out fully.

50 minutes ago, Art said:

Uh.   This doesn't matter one iota.   Either Allen is to blame for the state of the franchise or he's to be credited.   We don't get to give Allen the bad but give Kyle Smith the good.   Allen's stamp on the organization since taking over everything from Scot was a priority on big school players with winning backgrounds.   If that works out, it was Allen who put that in place.    I am happy to have Kyle and Schaffer here as both are great for us.   But we know, right now, the state of the team to highly respected, in-demand football guys.   Rivera is here, not in New York with his GM buddy a great running back and an equally young QB.   Here.   That's because of the correction Bruce was able to bring in three years in full control after Scot.   And even if his bet fails, as it is LIKELY to since most picks are failures ultimately, he deserves praise for having us positioned to be a primo spot for football people to land.   That isn't to say Bruce was perfect.   But he put us where anyone who matters would want to come.   Rivera is by no means the greatest coach who ever lived.   But he'd be offered four jobs later today if he wanted them.   It means something he doesn't.

Well, he ain’t coming here because of the 2018 draft.  That’s for sure.  Daron Payne has been solid/good, Darius Guice is always hurt, Geron Christian was a whiff, Troy Apke sucks, Tim Settle/Shaun Dion-Hamilton meh, Greg Stroman blah & Trey Quinn sucks.  None of his free agent signings have worked out. 

2017 draft? Jonathan Allen has been solid/good when healthy, Ryan Anderson has shown flashes but just been OK, Fabian Moreau has been solid when healthy at best, Samaje Perine bum, Montae Nicholson sucks, Jeremy Sprinkle sucks, Chase Roullier solid late round pick, Robert Davis wash out.

2019 draft looks a lot more promising but it’ll take another year or so to truly see how it holds up.  Allen’s track record has been too bad for too long to stick after this disastrous 3-13 season.  Even if he had his hand in picking some gems in this past draft.  Guice/Love could be dynamic backfield duo but they have terribly injury history.

13 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

He added this as well:

So, full hope is still alive!!! :) 

Oh man, thanks for that. Like I said, I need you guys to stop playing with my emotions like that. :ols: 

Very, very good news. :) 

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Well, he ain’t coming here because of the 2018 draft.  That’s for sure.  Daron Payne has been solid/good, Darius Guice is always hurt, Geron Christian was a whiff, Troy Apke sucks, Tim Settle/Shaun Dion-Hamilton meh, Greg Stroman blah & Trey Quinn sucks.  None of his free agent signings have worked out. 

2017 draft? Jonathan Allen has been solid/good when healthy, Ryan Anderson has shown flashes but just been OK, Fabian Moreau has been solid when healthy at best, Samaje Perine bum, Montae Nicholson sucks, Jeremy Sprinkle sucks, Chase Roullier solid late round pick, Robert Davis wash out.

2019 draft looks a lot more promising but it’ll take another year or so to truly see how it holds up.  Allen’s track record has been too bad for too long to stick after this disastrous 3-13 season.  Even if he had his hand in picking some gems in this past draft.  Guice/Love could be dynamic backfield duo but they have terribly injury history.

I put Allen ahead of Vinny for these reasons. I think we are in a better state now than after Vinny's departure if I look at things objectively.

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Even if he had his hand in picking some gems in this past draft. 

I wouldn't give Allen much credit for finding Terry McLaurin... I believe it was Haskins that pushed the need to draft him. Credit for only listening to Haskins.

1 minute ago, xxprodigyxx said:

I put Allen ahead of Vinny for these reasons. I think we are in a better state now than after Vinny's departure if I look at things objectively.

Dude that 2008 draft 2nd round where we had 3 picks & Vinny dumped them down the drain drafting Devin Thomas, Fred Davis & Malcolm Kelly is mind numbing LOL

36 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Totally get it, it’s just hard to think you need to make sweeping changes to that staff while ignoring the guy in charge of that staff. It’s bottom up stuff. 

Anyway, let’s wait and see. 

I’ve been on the “something is definitely wrong with the Athletic Training Staff” thing for a long time and pretty much by my lonesome, lol. Most don’t even know the difference between that staff, the Medical staff, and the Strength and Conditioning Staff.  I made this a couple weeks ago about what I needed to see after Bruce’s removal: 

https://es.redskins.com/topic/418348-the-bruce-allengm-thread/?do=findComment&comment=11662608

So while it’s not happening exactly how I wanted, it’s something. And I’m happy about that. :) 

Welp...we have our answer

1 hour ago, Art said:

Uh.   This doesn't matter one iota.   Either Allen is to blame for the state of the franchise or he's to be credited.   We don't get to give Allen the bad but give Kyle Smith the good.   Allen's stamp on the organization since taking over everything from Scot was a priority on big school players with winning backgrounds.   If that works out, it was Allen who put that in place.    I am happy to have Kyle and Schaffer here as both are great for us.   But we know, right now, the state of the team to highly respected, in-demand football guys.   Rivera is here, not in New York with his GM buddy a great running back and an equally young QB.   Here.   That's because of the correction Bruce was able to bring in three years in full control after Scot.   And even if his bet fails, as it is LIKELY to since most picks are failures ultimately, he deserves praise for having us positioned to be a primo spot for football people to land.   That isn't to say Bruce was perfect.   But he put us where anyone who matters would want to come.   Rivera is by no means the greatest coach who ever lived.   But he'd be offered four jobs later today if he wanted them.   It means something he doesn't.

Art, wasn't sure what post of yours to quote, but this to me is a great nuanced view.  I've been as jaded a Skins fan as anyone, even since the first decade of Snyder's ownership before Bruce came, and agree that the record over the past decade dictates a change. And some of Bruce's public comments and attitudes have been downright douchey. But I'm not going to participate in the Twitter and message board lynch mob that seems to permeate all aspects of our lives. 

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Art, wasn't sure what post of yours to quote, but this to me is a great nuanced view.  I've been as jaded a Skins fan as anyone, even since the first decade of Snyder's ownership before Bruce came, and agree that the record over the past decade dictates a change. And some of Bruce's public comments and attitudes have been downright douchey. But I'm not going to participate in the Twitter and message board lynch mob that seems to permeate all aspects of our lives. 

It is generally my thought quoting and agreeing with pretty much anything I write makes you smarter.   So good on ya :).

Today is a good day because we are setting a new direction and have a reasonable hope the future could be better soon.   And for that, I'm simply glad as it was getting pretty dim to be a Skins fan.

Archived