Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, bowhunter said:

We spent the FA period loading up on "average starters."  I think it's kinda important to remind folks that football is a TEAM sport. Filling one hole with a "stud" while leaving a gaping hole at others is foolhardy. JJ Watt is a stud. Michael Bennett and Brandon Graham  aren't in his class, however it was they who got to hold up the Lombardi.  It would be irresponsible to draft the crush while strong offers are on the table.  And I'm kinda tired of irresponsible moves.

 

Yes but every top team has great, not good,  not very good, no they have some great players.  Great players determine games, when you get the chance to draft one at a position with as much impact as edge rusher you just have to take advantage of that rare opportunity. 

 

As for the free agents signed only a few can be called "average starters".  The rest are back of the roster players and camp fodder. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

Yes but every top team has great, not good,  not very good, no they have some great players.  Great players determine games, when you get the chance to draft one at a position with as much impact as edge rusher you just have to take advantage of that rare opportunity. 

 

As for the free agents signed only a few can be called "average starters".  The rest are back of the roster players and camp fodder. 

Bennett and Graham were the impactful edge rushers of the 2017 SB champs.  It takes a team. Would you also agree that there are several lower tier teams that also have great players?

I'd love to have Chase be a member of our team. I'm not anti-Chase by any means. I'm just saying that picking him regardless of offers made isn't a wise utilization of assets. I trust Kyle Smith. If he says that player X and player Y can bring as much impact, I'm listening. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Bennett and Graham were the impactful edge rushers of the 2017 SB champs.  It takes a team. Would you also agree that there are several lower tier teams that also have great players?

I'd love to have Chase be a member of our team. I'm not anti-Chase by any means. I'm just saying that picking him regardless of offers made isn't a wise utilization of assets. I trust Kyle Smith. If he says that player X and player Y can bring as much impact, I'm listening. 

 

Oh I agree, it always takes a team. But make no mistake, that Seattle team had a number of great players.  So did every team that plays in Super Bowls from what I've seen.  Again it will take more than Chase, obviously, but when you get a chance to get one of these guys you have to take it.  They seem pretty set, there is very little evidence that Kyle sees other players that are comparable. 

 

But you are right, if Haskins fails it won't mean anything.  How many games did Miles Garrett, Von MIller and Khalil Mack win last year with poor QB play?  But let's not forget the impact a player like Miller had on that last Denver Super Bowl win had, it was immense.

 

 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Bennett and Graham were the impactful edge rushers of the 2017 SB champs.  It takes a team. Would you also agree that there are several lower tier teams that also have great players?

I'd love to have Chase be a member of our team. I'm not anti-Chase by any means. I'm just saying that picking him regardless of offers made isn't a wise utilization of assets. I trust Kyle Smith. If he says that player X and player Y can bring as much impact, I'm listening. 

Yeah, but you can't argue that KC doesn't have its share of great players.  They may not be at end, but they're there. Sometimes, the great player is a running back, QB, or linebacker. Other times, you see them at DB or WR, but it's very rare for a championship team not to have at least 3 great players on their roster.

 

We've been collecting good ones. Kerrigan, Allen, Payne, Ionadis, Collins are all in the good to very good range. There are other players on D with the potential to be good. On the offensive side: McLaurin, Simms, Guice, and Love have the potential to be very good with McLaurin having the chance to be great. Haskins right now is too much of a mystery to guess either way.

 

I'd argue it's important to get a great on our side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, but you can't argue that KC doesn't have its share of great players.  They may not be at end, but they're there. Sometimes, the great player is a running back, QB, or linebacker. Other times, you see them at DB or WR, but it's very rare for a championship team not to have at least 3 great players on their roster.

 

We've been collecting good ones. Kerrigan, Allen, Payne, Ionadis, Collins are all in the good to very good range. There are other players on D with the potential to be good. On the offensive side: McLaurin, Simms, Guice, and Love have the potential to be very good with McLaurin having the chance to be great. Haskins right now is too much of a mystery to guess either way.

 

I'd argue it's important to get a great on our side.

 

Prezactly.

 

Not to say you can't get a great player by trading back a few spots, but Chase clearly has the best chance to be great and when you have the 2nd pick in the draft you don't screw around you take the guy who has the best chance to be great. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 12:00 PM, KDawg said:

 

I was running down a bunch of scenarios. Did you miss that? :ols:

 

Though... if Burrow refuses (I don't think that's the case) then why not take Young and see what happens and try your hand at Lawrence next year?

 

Can anyone say that's not a possibility? The Bengals aren't very well constructed. 

 

 

 

Won't matter. Dude played well against good receivers all season. Whether it's a 4.38, 4.48 or 4.5, dude has some film to back things up. He also has some very high end skills. I had him ranked fairly highly to begin with. 

 

Aren't these pro days recorded? I'm betting teams are timing him themselves on the tape. 

I think there is very little chance that someone trades with cincy and takes young.  the reason is that there are probably teams who would be willing to trade for 1 overall for young and for burrow but there is little chance that the teams trading for young are going to give up as much as the ones trading for burrow.   It is true that they might like the draft position better of detroit as a trade partner for chase but its hard to imagine that would outweigh the sheer volume of draft capital they might be able to get for a team trading up for burrow.

 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

Yes but every top team has great, not good,  not very good, no they have some great players.  Great players determine games, when you get the chance to draft one at a position with as much impact as edge rusher you just have to take advantage of that rare opportunity. 

 

As for the free agents signed only a few can be called "average starters".  The rest are back of the roster players and camp fodder. 

Yep and that Eagles team he refers to also has/had Fletcher Cox, probably the 2nd best DT in the league.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason to draft Young instead of trading down.  He's great at forcing fumbles, and he'll be playing against the most fumble-prone QB division in the league for the next decade-plus.

 

Jones:

-18 fumbles in 2019 (led the league) (only played 13 games)

 

Wentz:

-17 fumbles in 2019 (2nd most)

-9 fumbles in 2018 (10th most) (11 games)

-9 fumbles in 2017 (9th most) (13 games)

-14 fumbles in 2016 (led the league)

 

Dak:

-12 fumbles in 2018 (3rd most) 

-9 fumbles in 2016 (5th most)

 

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Another reason to draft Young instead of trading down.  He's great at forcing fumbles, and he'll be playing against the most fumble-prone QB division in the league for the next decade-plus.

 

Jones:

-18 fumbles in 2019 (led the league) (only played 13 games)

 

Wentz:

-17 fumbles in 2019 (2nd most)

-9 fumbles in 2018 (10th most) (11 games)

-9 fumbles in 2017 (9th most) (13 games)

-14 fumbles in 2016 (led the league)

 

Dak:

-12 fumbles in 2018 (3rd most) 

-9 fumbles in 2016 (5th most)

 

 

Wow, great find! Just take the Man!

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hope most of you either saw or will see chase on espn's get up this morning

 

the thing i'm excited about the most is what appears to be such a total package---it's not just the physical skills that put him in that "freak" level that we've associated with previous elite pass-rushers, or the instincts and drive to play the game with an intensity that matches their physical ability (which is awesome in itself) but this guy is a pass rusher who is a film study nut and enjoys being a student of the game and is very confident not out of arrogance but out of realism and objective analysis---well, mostly anyway, there is a pride/drive/competitiveness that's at a very high level too (yay!!)

 

and then to put some cherries on the top, he's quite intelligent and is regarded as having excellent character and work ethic, which is what comes through to me to date, and  he appears to be locker room gold

 

what a total package---no wonder so many of the more sage prognosticators have been so certain that we won't trade out despite the numerous important holes we have to fill and the haul we might get in a talent-rich draft

 

 

while i'd just like to be a winning franchise however they do it, i would especially love to see a redskins defense that becomes a season-winning strength for a few years

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

while i'd just like to be a winning franchise however they do it, i would especially love to see a redskins defense that becomes a season-winning strength for a few years

I've been a proponent of a throttling defense vs dynamic offense on this board. Referenced the Ravens as a blueprint many times. Dynamic Offense requires lots of timing and read defense capability. A GREAT Defense can game plan/disguise just like the Rams got burnt by Pats. The Great defense also gives you short fields for your O to play on. This defense *should do all that* and SHOULD HAVE been close to that last year but for Manusky's BS.

 

I hope this D and the O based on running/outs with the backs we have will put us close to contender this year. If Haskins is even average..we should not be a push over in the NFCE

 

So Gruden..you may have been a Fup..but I will always thank you for Chase Young. Him and Callahan loosing that Giants game (God, I can't believe the G-men did that)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 4:05 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

Oh I agree, it always takes a team. But make no mistake, that Seattle team had a number of great players.  So did every team that plays in Super Bowls from what I've seen.  Again it will take more than Chase, obviously, but when you get a chance to get one of these guys you have to take it.  They seem pretty set, there is very little evidence that Kyle sees other players that are comparable. 

 

But you are right, if Haskins fails it won't mean anything.  How many games did Miles Garrett, Von MIller and Khalil Mack win last year with poor QB play?  But let's not forget the impact a player like Miller had on that last Denver Super Bowl win had, it was immense.

 

 

The Jacksonville Jags, in 2017, had the Pats beat in the AFC championship game with a great defense and very few offensive weapons and regional QB play at best. My hope is that RR builds this defense into a pressure based monster and the offense grows around the defense. The Bears used the same formula with Trubisky and had a great team. In the NFC East, IF JDR and RR can get this defense to play at an elite level, we can be good quickly. Even with our rag tag team last season, with Callahan instilling some discipline and confidence, we went into Green Bay and played the Packers very tough at the end of the season. This team is not far off, especially if the offensive line can be solid and we can run the ball. RR instilling a winning culture can't be far off because we have many, many players from winning college programs.....they just need a leader with a plan. Chase Young is gonna energize this team beyond belief....

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad the nfl is relaxing their policies on marijuana because, call it a hunch but watching that interview I get the feeling chase likes to partake in the ganja.

Again no evidence just a hunch.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Great breakdown, but you don't draft Young to be a run stuffer.  

Thats a great part of Sweats game. He's good against the run and will be a great complement to Young. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm glad the nfl is relaxing their policies on marijuana because, call it a hunch but watching that interview I get the feeling chase likes to partake in the ganja.

Again no evidence just a hunch.

 

Is it the dreads? Christ dude. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...