Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

It was? Who knew?

 

Benching Young, who made a gigantic impact, for a guy who is benefitting from being fresh is a colossal error. Why that needs to be explained is beyond me.

Because some of us don't look at it that way. I looked at it as though he was hurt and wasn't able to perform at100%. I thought my post expressed that. Your also assuming that Kerrigan is only doing well because he is fresh. But thanks for explaining something that was beyond me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well, let me ask you. Zeke Elliot is on pace for like 1050 yards and is on pace to have his lowest YPC by a mile. He's clearly not having the same level of production we're used to seeing from him. Those numbers are especially bad since the OL had injury concerns and since Dak went out. How much of that is Zeke? If they're stacking 8 in the box to minimize his productivity, does that mean he's not good anymore? No. It's a team sport and being a disruptive force without the actual stats doesn't mean you're not doing your job.

 

Maybe you're right. I like Chase and fully expect him to be a leader on this team for a long time. Which I guess makes him worth the #2 pick. Having leaders is a great thing. I'm just saying his lack of production in the backfield is a cause for concern. He's definitely not going to come close to breaking any rookie records or having a special rookie season. Just was hoping for more. Unfortunately, I'm just seeing a really good athlete like Clowney. But much more likeable than him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Because some of us don't look at it that way. I looked at it as though he was hurt and wasn't able to perform at100%. I thought my post expressed that. Your also assuming that Kerrigan is only doing well because he is fresh. But thanks for explaining something that was beyond me. 

 

It's repetitive. It's been talked about. 

 

The groin injury is an issue that doesn't improve without a long rest period. Our guy @TheShredderhas talked about it here. It's basically an injury that doesn't improve without surgery or a long rest. A few week rest time isn't going to do much. 

 

Playing on it would be fine as long as he can handle the discomfort. The alternate is we put Young on ice for the remainder of his rookie season and he obviously wants no part of that.

 

There is an assumption that Kerrigan is benefitting from a reduce workload, absolutely. 

 

Last year he played 642 snaps and had 5.5 sacks.

 

So far this season he's played 238 snaps and has 5.5 sacks. 

 

His best sack season was 2014 with 13.5. In that season he played 978 snaps.  That's 1 sack every 72 snaps. 

 

This season he's averaging a sack every 43 snaps. 

 

For what it's worth, here's his career sacks per snap:

 

2011: No snap count available.

2012: 1065 snaps, 8.5 sacks = 1 sack every 125 snaps

2013: 974 snaps, 8.5 sacks = 1 sack every 114 snaps

2014: 978 snaps, 13.5 sacks = 1 sack every 72 snaps

2015: 889 snaps, 9.5 sacks = 1 sack every 93 snaps

2016: 786 snaps, 11 sacks = 1 sack every 71 snaps

2017: 820 snaps, 13 sacks =  1 sack every 63 snaps

2018: 819 snaps, 13 sacks = 1 sack every 63 snaps

2019: 642 snaps, 5.5 sacks =  1 sack every 116 snaps

2020: 238 snaps, 5.5 sacks = 1 sack every 43 snaps

 

So far, his best production from a per snap basis is this season.

 

It is logical, in my opinion, to assume the fresh factor has something to do with it. Sweat and Young beat up on the tackles and Kerrigan comes in fresh as a daisy and okie dokes the OL and gets to the quarterback. That kind of rest from a Edge guy in general would very likely increase their overall explosiveness regardless. Now factor in Kerrigan's age as a pass rusher and it's not a far fetched conclusion that his fatigue being lower has led to a very positive boost in his production.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I'm just seeing a really good athlete like Clowney. But much more likeable than him. 

Lol. That doesn’t take much.

I’m gonna say something controversial, but Settle/Ion is a better DT combo for this defense than Payne/Allen.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Chase was double-teamed and had his back to Burrow when Burrow first took off.  Chase then spins around, he sees Burrow go, and then himself spins out of the double team and runs in an arc to get into perfect position to force the fumble (assist to Apke).  Chase Young took 7 points off the board (assist to the right goal post).  THAT play is what you get with the #2 overall that you don't get with the next best guy.

 

That play showed what a good football player Chase Young is. And he has made several plays like this.  But @GOATFrerotte has made solid points. Once again I watched Chase exclusively, and once again the narrative that he is constantly getting double teamed is simply not true.  Of course Barrow threw a lot of quick 3 step drops, but that was not the case for the Bengals for the entire game. 

 

At this point in time he is not making plays in the backfield, he simply needs to learn better technique as a pass rusher as his bull rush is his most common move and it's not working. But this is something I have no doubt will come in time. But right now the simple truth that WFT fans don't want to accept is that for the vast majority of plays this year he has been handled one on one by the opposing tackles. And many of those LTs are below average LTs.

 

 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, Warhead36 said:

That hit on Burrow was vicious. The first of what will hopefully be many big game changing plays of his career.

 

But I'd like to see more sustained pass rush on 3rd downs. He's actually being subbed out often on 3rd downs.

He played well but outside of the Burrow hit still not seeing much of the disruptive force I hoped he would be.  Honestly the line seemed to get more pressure on downs he was out, but not enough of a sample size to make a fair judgment. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

That play showed what a good football player Chase Young is. And he has made several plays like this.  But @GOATFrerotte has made solid points. Once again I watched Chase exclusively, and once again the narrative that he is constantly getting double teamed is simply not true.  Of course Barrow threw a lot of quick 3 step drops, but that was not the case for the Bengals for the entire game. 

 

At this point in time he is not making plays in the backfield, he simply needs to learn better technique as a pass rusher as his bull rush is his most common move and it's not working. But this is something I have no doubt will come in time. But right now the simple truth that WFT fans don't want to accept is that for the vast majority of plays this year he has been handled one on one by the opposing tackles. And many of those LTs are below average LTs

 

 

 

Any interest in breaking the data down?
 

My hypothesis would be he is singled on quick throws and doubled on some of the 5-7 step drop backs. 
 

Looking and saying he was singled on a designed quick throw isn’t the same as being singled on a 5-7 step drop back. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

Any interest in breaking the data down?
 

My hypothesis would be he is singled on quick throws and doubled on some of the 5-7 step drop backs. 
 

Looking and saying he was singled on a designed quick throw isn’t the same as being singled on a 5-7 step drop back. 

 

I didn't chart this game.  I did look back at Detroit and they were not doing 3 step drops all game, Chase was double teamed by designed 4 times for the entire game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

 

It's repetitive. It's been talked about. 

 

The groin injury is an issue that doesn't improve without a long rest period. Our guy @TheShredderhas talked about it here. It's basically an injury that doesn't improve without surgery or a long rest. A few week rest time isn't going to do much. 

 

Playing on it would be fine as long as he can handle the discomfort. The alternate is we put Young on ice for the remainder of his rookie season and he obviously wants no part of that.

 

There is an assumption that Kerrigan is benefitting from a reduce workload, absolutely. 

 

Last year he played 642 snaps and had 5.5 sacks.

 

So far this season he's played 238 snaps and has 5.5 sacks. 

 

His best sack season was 2014 with 13.5. In that season he played 978 snaps.  That's 1 sack every 72 snaps. 

 

This season he's averaging a sack every 43 snaps. 

 

For what it's worth, here's his career sacks per snap:

 

2011: No snap count available.

2012: 1065 snaps, 8.5 sacks = 1 sack every 125 snaps

2013: 974 snaps, 8.5 sacks = 1 sack every 114 snaps

2014: 978 snaps, 13.5 sacks = 1 sack every 72 snaps

2015: 889 snaps, 9.5 sacks = 1 sack every 93 snaps

2016: 786 snaps, 11 sacks = 1 sack every 71 snaps

2017: 820 snaps, 13 sacks =  1 sack every 63 snaps

2018: 819 snaps, 13 sacks = 1 sack every 63 snaps

2019: 642 snaps, 5.5 sacks =  1 sack every 116 snaps

2020: 238 snaps, 5.5 sacks = 1 sack every 43 snaps

 

So far, his best production from a per snap basis is this season.

 

It is logical, in my opinion, to assume the fresh factor has something to do with it. Sweat and Young beat up on the tackles and Kerrigan comes in fresh as a daisy and okie dokes the OL and gets to the quarterback. That kind of rest from a Edge guy in general would very likely increase their overall explosiveness regardless. Now factor in Kerrigan's age as a pass rusher and it's not a far fetched conclusion that his fatigue being lower has led to a very positive boost in his production.

 

 

 

 

Now that is an answer......thank you kind sir. Still disagree though....🤣🤣🤣🤣. But please do an analysis on how many of those snaps per year were run plays vs pass plays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Q:  Given how much vitriol and buyer's remorse some fans here have for Chase, you know who's rooting their azzes off for WFT to win the division?

 

A:  The top 18 players in next year's draft.

I wouldn't really say I have buyer's remorse. I still fully expect Young to be an absolute force for years to come. I don't hate the pick at all. I just wish we saw a little bit more this year like what the Bosas did their rookie years. But that might be more of an indictment on the rest of the team than Young.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Again I'm unconcerned that Chase Young will become a great, dominant player. And I do believe many great pass rushers take time to develop. But other than Mack, who had 4, here are the pass rushers I thought of off the top of my head and their rookie sack totals.  

 

It should be noted that every good pass rusher takes on double teams on a regular basis:

 

DeMarcus Ware: 8.0

 

Von Miller:  11.5

 

Joey Bosa:  10.5

 

Nick Bosa:  9.0

 

Aaron Donald:  9.0

 

 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Again I'm unconcerned that Chase Young will become a great, dominant player. And I do believe many great pass rushers take time to develop. But other than Mack, who had 4, here are the pass rushers I thought of off the top of my head and their rookie sack totals.  

 

It should be noted that every good pass rusher takes on double teams on a regular basis:

 

DeMarcus Ware: 8.0

 

Von Miller:  11.5

 

Joey Bosa:  10.5

 

Nick Bosa:  9.0

 

Aaron Donald:  9.0

 

 

Myles Garrett only had 7 his rookie year. JJ Watt had 5.5. Brother TJ had 7. Justin Houston had 5.5.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Myles Garrett only had 7 his rookie year. JJ Watt had 5.5. Brother TJ had 7. Justin Houston had 5.5.

Bruce Smith had 6.5, Charles Mann had 3.0, Chris Doleman 0.5, John Randall - 1.0, Strahan 1.0.*

Reggie White had 13, same year as Smith (1985).

 

*The NFL is reviewing how many QBs fell down within 5 yards of Strahan so they can award additional sacks.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Bruce Smith had 6.5, Charles Mann had 3.0, Chris Doleman 0.5, John Randall - 1.0, Strahan 1.0.*

Reggie White had 13, same year as Smith (1985).

 

*The NFL is reviewing how many QBs fell down within 5 yards of Strahan so they can award additional sacks.

Yep it seems like just about every other position, some guys dominate right away while other guys don't put up the big #s until year 2.

 

But to suggest Young has been a bust? I can't believe anyone thinks that. Heck he might be a Pro Bowler year 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Bruce Smith had 6.5, Charles Mann had 3.0, Chris Doleman 0.5, John Randall - 1.0, Strahan 1.0.*

Reggie White had 13, same year as Smith (1985).

 

*The NFL is reviewing how many QBs fell down within 5 yards of Strahan so they can award additional sacks.

 

and White had played in the USFL.  It might not have been quite NFL level but it was closer to it than college.  so his rookie year wasn't really one

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Myles Garrett only had 7 his rookie year. JJ Watt had 5.5. Brother TJ had 7. Justin Houston had 5.5.

All those guys had much better rookie seasons than Chase though so far. What concerns me is his 4 QB hits. All these guys were pushing 20. Myles Garrett also only played in 11 games. 

 

I am concerned with his pass-rush abilities. Honestly, where did his elite first step go?

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

All those guys had much better rookie seasons than Chase though so far. What concerns me is his 4 QB hits. All these guys were pushing 20. Myles Garrett also only played in 11 games. 

 

I am concerned with his pass-rush abilities. Honestly, where did his elite first step go?


He has a groin injury.

 

Also, teams are quick hitting us to death.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep it seems like just about every other position, some guys dominate right away while other guys don't put up the big #s until year 2.

 

But to suggest Young has been a bust? I can't believe anyone thinks that. Heck he might be a Pro Bowler year 1.

 

See that's the thing, I have seen nobody call Chase Young a bust but posters are reacting as if they did.  Many of us have simply said we expected more impact plays by this point in the season or in my case pointing out the claim that he is constantly being double teamed is simply not true.  

4 hours ago, KDawg said:


He has a groin injury.

 

Also, teams are quick hitting us to death.

 

I had commented on this before the groin injury. In college he was the first one off the ball, many of his plays were made this way by beating his man off the edge. Early in the season he got flagged for a few off sides and he is hesitating, he is not the first one off the ball as he was in college.   So yeah that first step has been missing all year. I have supreme confidence it will return as he gets used to the NFL game. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

See that's the thing, I have seen nobody call Chase Young a bust but posters are reacting as if they did.  Many of us have simply said we expected more impact plays by this point in the season or in my case pointing out the claim that he is constantly being double teamed is simply not true.  

 

I had commented on this before the groin injury. In college he was the first one off the ball, many of his plays were made this way by beating his man off the edge. Early in the season he got flagged for a few off sides and he is hesitating, he is not the first one off the ball as he was in college.   So yeah that first step has been missing all year. I have supreme confidence it will return as he gets used to the NFL game. 

 

He's had the groin injury for the whole season. He hurt it in camp, I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

He seemed to have a different level of intensity Sunday. Looked different to me. He’s going to be a great one. 

If you go back and watch it didn't happen until he was caught flat footed on that Joe B QB keeper inside the 20 yard line, it seemed to light a fire.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...