Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 4/9/2020 at 9:58 AM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Are we really going to ignore the fact that Dilfer said Tua throws better than Rodgers and Marino?  I’ve heard some absurd **** in my day but what an idiot. This is Merril Hoge territory stupid. 

Merrill Hoge was right about Tebow....said he's be a terrible QB in the NFL. 

On 4/9/2020 at 11:23 AM, Smurf3 said:

Remember Lavar Arrington? I believe he was drafted out of Penn State in Snyder the Great's first year as owner and he was supposed to be the next Lawrence Taylor. Well, he turned out to be no more than a decent NFL linebacker. What the Redskins need is as much offensive fire power as they can lay their hands on. The way the game is played today with moving pockets and QBs extending plays a classic pass rusher is less and less a factor. Chase will be chasing a lot. The Redskins don't play Northwestern or Indiana. Good luck Ron.

Not when the entire line is a group of 1st round picks. I suggest you read the article on ESPN.com today on Chase Young and what his opponents have to say about playing against him. Once you read that you might get excited about having him in B&G for the next 12 years.....BTW, if you wanna move the pocket away from Young or towards him, you deal with Sweat or Chase....both beasts. Good luck with that. We are about to have an incredible defense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The article @kingdaddy referenced.  Posting some blurbs from it:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/29007542/why-chase-young-nfl-draft-most-dominant-defender

When searching for comparisons, the names Myles Garrett and Shawne Merriman come up, but one coach had to go beyond the football field -- beyond the human species, in fact -- to find an apt analogy.

"Gosh, everything we try to do, he seems to defeat us," Indiana coach Tom Allen said. "It's like in an action movie. You have a plan to take care of this thing you can't destroy, you think you have him, and then, boom, he comes right through the flames."

To get a sense of exactly what it was like to prepare to play Young and then to have to line up in front of him, we spoke to coaches and players who had to do just that during the 2019 season. They provide the clearest explanation yet of exactly what the NFL should expect.

Former Indiana offensive coordinator Kalen DeBoer: You could just tell he was physically blessed. He's dominant because he's worked hard on making himself a better football player, but 6-6 and 260, 270, that type of stature, complemented by the speed off the edge, is just so impressive.

Northwestern offensive line coach Kurt Anderson: He's got all the tools of an edge rusher that make you have to game plan a little bit for him, because he can change the course of a game with one strip sack, a critical third-down type of deal that makes the quarterback move and throws the timing off of deep routes. I've been fortunate that I've been able to coach in the NFL and see some of these elite edge rushers. Coached in the SEC against Myles Garrett. He reminded me of somebody like that.

Wisconsin offensive coordinator Joe Rudolph: The biggest thing was early in the week, like Day 1, I got to teaching them how quickly this is going to happen up the field. If you're not exposed to that, then the first thing you do is if you get beat or pressured or insecure about it, you start to change up what you do fundamentally. We did all we could, man. We lined guys up offsides all week in practice, and we have fast guys, but just put them in that position.

Former Michigan State offensive coordinator Brad Salem: The other issues in passing down, third down, your protection has to slide to him, or your back has to help and chip. Then there's certain things you can't do, like your back getting out, certain protections and certain directions, so it limits what you do.

Former Penn State offensive line coach Matt Limegrover: We were going to try to chip him with our tight ends or check him with our back as much as we could. One thing about Ohio State's defensive coaches is they're not dummies. They know people are going to have a plan for them. You try to start moving guys around and then they move him around and you're trying to adjust your protection.

Allen: Any time you have a guy like that, who is so disruptive, he can basically single-handedly destroy your pass game, he can disrupt your run game. There are only a few of those guys where you say we need to know where he is at all times and if you leave him one-on-one with a guy, it's over.

Ferguson: When I watch film, I like to watch the third quarter or early fourth. You really start to see how guys play, because you're tired and that's when your tendencies come out. What I saw on tape, straight through he was quick-twitch and still going. His best move was a double swipe, so I tried to hand-fight him and not give him my hands or commit to one move.

Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell: Going into the game, you know you have to do so much. It might be simple things, like we've got to make sure we slide more to this side. We've got to make sure we've got the ability to chip with the back. We're not going to be like some others and say, "We're not going to take our chances and put this guy in a situation."

Rudolph: As simple as it was, the most unique part of him was how quickly he got up the field. When you watch him and you see his first step and you see how much ground he covers on his first step, he does a great job of working on timing the snap count and using all the information he can pre-snap to be as quick as he can off the ball.

Allen: We can't hold the ball too long, we have to chip him with our back, we have to slide to him, we have to double-team him with our tight end or whatever you need to do. All those things sound good, but that takes away from other things we like to do, so he was a nightmare.

Ferguson: He doesn't show much emotion. Even my running back, Mike Warren, he was talking to him the whole game and all Chase did was give him a little smirk. He's a hell of a football player. He's going to make some NFL team happy.

Higby: I noticed he has one move he has perfected. As a tackle, you have to be perfect in your technique to even have a chance, and if you don't, he's going to beat you every time. It's like a double hand swipe, he has the steps down, the hands down, he has everything about it perfect, so it works really well for him.

Allen: We all figured he was going to declare, but when he did, we threw a little party. I hope they don't have any more like him coming, because woo!

Austin: I'm so glad his ass left early.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He has to say that.

He's the one who is apparently training him. What is he supposed to say? "My pupil is frail and undersized and got had an all star team around him every year?" Even if that would be the truth...

I understand why he did it...but...

No actually he doesn’t have to say stupid things like that. 

He he could have easily said something about how Tua is one of the best QB prospects he has ever worked with and he is a franchise QB and should be the #1 pick in the draft.

But that wouldn’t get as many clicks/follows/comments/etc

But I’m halfway finished with my first Highland Scotch...so who really cares! 😚

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Well as much as I love the draft and feel pissed we don’t have enough picks to truly reap the rewards of a strong class in some areas, it’s is becoming increasingly difficult to see how we can pass over on taking Young.

I don’t think we can. Too many question marks elsewhere. I’d only be comfortable passing him if we got Simmons +. And Simmons seems like one of the bigger wild cards as far as draft position goes and you can’t count on him being on the board when you move back. 

So, stick to the top and take the best guy in the draft. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we can. Too many question marks elsewhere. I’d only be comfortable passing him if we got Simmons +. And Simmons seems like one of the bigger wild cards as far as draft position goes and you can’t count on him being on the board when you move back. 

I certainly see the argument and am mostly there myself. But I think it comes down to compensation. Also, I am not as worried about Simmons being available when we pick. 

For example, let's say Miami offers 5, 18, this years 2nd (39) and next years 2nd. I don't think you can turn that down. The presumption is that they want Tua. So the draft likely goes like this: 

#1 Burrow

#2 Tua

#3 - Detroit has the QB decision taken out of their hands and they need edge so they take Chase Young (they are ecstatic BTW)

#4 - I think the Giants go OL to protect Daniel Jones but they have a decision to make. They might even trade back with someone really jonseing for Simmons thinking there are enough good Ts in the 1st they can still get someone depending on how far back they go.  

#5 - The good news for us is there are 2 quality players left for Detroit - Simmons and Okudah. We take whoever is left. I would also consider trading back again if someone gave a reasonable offer. You could trade back and still get a quality OL and likely CB with at least 2 picks in the 1st. Dallas, Minn, Philly all need CB desperately. They see Okudah at #5 they may make a run at trading. If not, you stay put and take him. Same with SImmons. 

Let's say Miami pulls a switch and takes Young at #2 - very unlike but not impossible. I cannot imagine Detroit passes on Tua. Could not be a more perfect situation. He can sit for a few years and learn. But let's say Detroit decides they are all in this year and take Simmons - very possible since Patricia is on the hottest of hot seats. The Giants are very unlikely to take Okudah. I would be surprised if in this scenario if they did not go OL. So again we get Okudah and extra picks. 

Again, I think the most likely scenario is we stay put at 2 for Young and I am totally on board with that. But I would not rule out trading back if the price was right. And if they do, I think there is enough other talent they could come out of it really nice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Simmons is awesome and is a very rare player, but I think I'd still take Okudah. I don't remember which draftnik said this, but they said he reminds them of Champ, and I tend to agree. I really think he's going to be great. An All Pro. As do I think of Simmons. Okudah plays the more important position. But, there are less LB's within shooting range of being as good as Simmons. I do think this is a very good but not elite CB draft. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think Miami is offering anything worth us dropping is my biggest thing. They’d need to give us 2 1s and a 2 this year and a 1 next year 

I totally agree, although I think a 2 next would be enough, but either way I believe i said it's unlikely. Was just thinking out loud and exploring the edges of what might happen with some what ifs. And it's not impossible. It's really all about how much does Miami want Tua and how much they think Detroit would take him if we do what we should at #2 and take Chase (it also assumes Cinn does not take Tua, but then there may be more teams interested in #2 with Burrow on the board - again very unlikely but not impossible.  

Not directed at you, in case i did not make it perfectly clear, I don't really see any of that happening. Just throwing some thoughts out there. After all isn't that what a thread like this is for? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Simmons is awesome and is a very rare player, but I think I'd still take Okudah. I don't remember which draftnik said this, but they said he reminds them of Champ, and I tend to agree. I really think he's going to be great. An All Pro. As do I think of Simmons. Okudah plays the more important position. But, there are less LB's within shooting range of being as good as Simmons. I do think this is a very good but not elite CB draft. 

I think the top 4 or 5 CBs are all pretty close to each other. So if value picks are your thing I would consider trading back if I was going to take Okudah and snagging Henderson or Diggs or Fulton or even further and take Dantzler.

Though I think Dantzler is about to sky rocket on boards with his 4.38 pro day 40.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

This stuff about Burrow saying he doesn't want to play for the Bengals makes things real interesting. If its true, it really could completely change everything. They could have trade offers from teams that want Burrow... Or teams that want Young. Or they could take Young and say screw it and hope they're in position to land Lawrence next year.

Everything is in play if that is a true report.

In the scenario that Young goes 1, the Skins have to trade back. Even if it's a smaller get, say, a 1st this year, 2nd this year and a 1st next year. But they don't want to go too far back. They'll want either a top tackle, Simmons, Okudah or at "worst" Lamb/Jeudy. 

I'd love two 1s this year, a 2 this year and a 1 next year but I just don't see that happening if Young is off the board at 1. I really want Kenneth Murray, but you can't justify him over the other guys. 

The 1 next year may be the most important trade piece aside from a swap of 1sts this year in that scenario. Ammo for a quarterback if needed or Sewell or another top tackle. Or whoever. Ammo is important. 

Of course, if someone trades to 1 for Burrow, the Skins stay at 2 and take Young. 

This could get interesting. But sometimes I wonder where these rumors start and if it was simply Burrow saying, "man, I'll play for anyone but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish it was somewhere a bit... better... that Cincy." and someone took it and ran with it saying he doesn't want to play there or prefers not to play there. It doesn't mean he won't. 

So even if the intention is true, it may not mean a thing. 

Edited by KDawg

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This stuff about Burrow saying he doesn't want to play for the Bengals makes things real interesting. If its true, it really could completely change everything. They could have trade offers from teams that want Burrow... Or teams that want Young. Or they could take Young and say screw it and hope they're in position to land Lawrence next year.

Everything is in play if that is a true report.

In the scenario that Young goes 1, the Skins have to trade back. Even if it's a smaller get, say, a 1st this year, 2nd this year and a 1st next year. But they don't want to go too far back. They'll want either a top tackle, Simmons, Okudah or at "worst" Lamb/Jeudy. 

I'd love two 1s this year, a 2 this year and a 1 next year but I just don't see that happening if Young is off the board at 1. I really want Kenneth Murray, but you can't justify him over the other guys. 

The 1 next year may be the most important trade piece aside from a swap of 1sts this year in that scenario. Ammo for a quarterback if needed or Sewell or another top tackle. Or whoever. Ammo is important. 

Of course, if someone trades to 1 for Burrow, the Skins stay at 2 and take Young. 

This could get interesting. But sometimes I wonder where these rumors start and if it was simply Burrow saying, "man, I'll play for anyone but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish it was somewhere a bit... better... that Cincy." and someone took it and ran with it saying he doesn't want to play there or prefers not to play there. It doesn't mean he won't. 

So even if the intention is true, it may not mean a thing. 

they are not passing on a QB with the first pick

4 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

they are not passing on a QB with the first pick

I was running down a bunch of scenarios. Did you miss that? :ols:

Though... if Burrow refuses (I don't think that's the case) then why not take Young and see what happens and try your hand at Lawrence next year?

Can anyone say that's not a possibility? The Bengals aren't very well constructed. 

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

There is no way that's real. So many prospects this year running 4.3's, timed by their agent. I'd ignore all of those times. 

Won't matter. Dude played well against good receivers all season. Whether it's a 4.38, 4.48 or 4.5, dude has some film to back things up. He also has some very high end skills. I had him ranked fairly highly to begin with. 

Aren't these pro days recorded? I'm betting teams are timing him themselves on the tape. 

Edited by KDawg

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I really want Kenneth Murray, but you can't justify him over the other guys. 

Maybe not the thread for it, but I'm curious where your love of Murray comes from?  I'm interested because I keep passing over him in mock drafts whenever I trade back from #2.  I honestly haven't watched much of him myself, but he has some pretty major flaws from the breakdowns I've seen.  Here are some examples:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Maybe not the thread for it, but I'm curious where your love of Murray comes from?  I'm interested because I keep passing over him in mock drafts whenever I trade back from #2.  I honestly haven't watched much of him myself, but he has some pretty major flaws from the breakdowns I've seen.  Here are some examples:

It's not so much a love, it's that he's a playmaker that can play inside and outside. As far as instinctual linebackers he's behind guys like Brooks, Quarterman, Wilson and Harrison for sure. 

When I watch him I see a guy that moves tremendously side to side, but needs refinement in where he inserts. He typically sees the open lane that the ball is designed to go to, flows to it and opens a lane to run. Though on the play that he "got shook in space" above, he actually did a good job keeping himself on the inside shade and forcing the back out to the other defender outside of him. He fell, so he looked stupid. But the play was made.

I like his ability to rush and flow. 

He is a sideline to sideline defender who isn't afraid to get downhill, which we're lacking a little bit in our backer corps. His range is great and he has good length and tremendous upper body strength. His height makes him a high tackler, but he tackles with leverage. If he gets his hands on you, you're going down. But the same things that I like there are also detriments. He is so unafraid of getting downhill that he overruns plays vertically, which he also does horizontally. 

He takes on blockers like a man and initiates violent contact. Which I love. But he's inconsistent on getting off of blocks. 

He recognizes plays very well from the jump but as they develop he struggles more seeing where creative players can find seams. He'll need to improve that. 

He's aggressive and I love that. He is also hellbent on preventing offenses from getting to the perimeter, which as a MIKE could be a detriment, but as a SAM is a pretty good spot to be in. May be able to play some WILL on the backside of a multiple receiver set to limit his coverage role but play a force role on the outside. 

Like so many here with having more faith in the backers currently on roster, I think JDR and RR would have an impact on him with his overflowing and would make use of his range and athleticism. 

If you're asking me if he's the best overall MIKE linebacker as far as instincts and play go, I'd say no. If you're asking me if he's a 3-4 (or nickel) ILB type with his athleticism and range and some of his zone coverage ability, I'd say he fits that mold quite well. So I still refer to him as an inside backer, though he'd likely see time outside in a traditional 43. 

I think Quarterman, Wilson, Brooks and Harrison all have better instincts and post snap flow. But they can't range like Murray can. 

I actually prefer the four I mentioned above as a traditional 4-3 MIKE to Murray. But Murray brings a lot of versatility. Can line up in all 3 LB spots and play football. Much like Reuben Foster in that sense. I'm not sure any of the 4 mentioned above are quite on that level of versatility. Maybe Wilson a little bit. Maybe Harrison. But Brooks, Quarterman and Wilson are all 2 downish type LBs in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's not so much a love, it's that he's a playmaker that can play inside and outside. As far as instinctual linebackers he's behind guys like Brooks, Quarterman, Wilson and Harrison for sure. 

Thanks for the long and detailed post.  I think that pretty much squares with what I've seen/heard about him.  He seems to have a lot of the same issues Jaylon Smith is known for, but I could definitely live with having Smith as my starting LB.  I don't think I'd take him in the 1st in a trade back scenario, but I'd probably feel comfortable taking him in the 2nd.

Yeah I don’t see the love for Kenneth Murray. I want my LBs to be incredibly instinctual and he doesn’t seem to be that.

Also, it feels like Miami is having a “if he drops to 5 we’ll take him otherwise we don’t” approach to Tua. Maybe they would be willing to part with a second to move up a spot or two to get him but I can’t see them sacrificing one of their other firsts.

43 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah I don’t see the love for Kenneth Murray. I want my LBs to be incredibly instinctual and he doesn’t seem to be that.

Also, it feels like Miami is having a “if he drops to 5 we’ll take him otherwise we don’t” approach to Tua. Maybe they would be willing to part with a second to move up a spot or two to get him but I can’t see them sacrificing one of their other firsts.

He IS instinctual. For sure. He just over plays his instincts. Good coaching can help there. But he needs to improve.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He IS instinctual. For sure. He just over plays his instincts. Good coaching can help there. But he needs to improve.

Maybe that’s what I meant. He can read the play but sometimes gets overexcited instead of playing the position.