Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This argument is tired. No one player wins you a SB. Brady didn't do it alone, Steve Young didn't do it alone, the "one player away" argument is tired too. San Fran went from crazy to the SB. Was it because they drafted Bosa? No. But it sure as hell made a huge difference. 

Thats just not the case.. yes .. one person CAN win you a Superbowl ..but its not even about the superbowl.. a QB can take an average team and make it very good. No other position can make that kind of an impact, because no other position on a football field has that level of control and influence on the rest of the players. A great defense can carry a QB but its still not one player... as good as Bosa is, that whole niner Defense was incredibly solid and healthy. (something it wast the year before) 

There are countless examples:

Gurapolo coming to a winless Niner team and rattling off 7 straight wins.

on the opposite side:

Chicago is built to win now lots of talent on both sides of the ball and yet cant seem to win mostly due to the QB

12 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

He lead the Super Bowl winning defense that propped up an aging Peyton Manning. 

fine.. he led that defense.. but Manning won that superbowl.. Whatever he lacked in his arm.. he was by far the smartest player on that field and a QB is more than just tossing the ball to the open player. His adjustments at the line , tricking the D, opening up running lanes, etc is unmatched.. he is widely considered one of if not the smartest QB in the NFL

Edited by oraphus
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, oraphus said:

fine.. he led that defense.. but Manning won that superbowl.. Whatever he lacked in his arm.. he was by far the smartest player on that field and a QB is more than just tossing the ball to the open player. His adjustments at the line , tricking the D, opening up running lanes, etc is unmatched.. he is widely considered one of if not the smartest QB in the NFL

Seriously? Miller was the Super Bowl MVP. Manning was a game manager--and not a very good one at that. They won the game in spite of him, not because of him. Please.

You want to explain, then, how Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles won Super Bowls? How Mitch Trubisky was a horribly missed field goal away from an NFC Title game appearance?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Seriously? Miller was the Super Bowl MVP. Manning was a game manager--and not a very good one at that. They won the game in spite of him, not because of him. Please.

You want to explain, then, how Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles won Super Bowls? How Mitch Trubisky was a horribly missed field goal away from an NFC Title game appearance?

umm.. sure.. Eli, Flacco and Foles were superbowl MVPs.. and again i am not talking about superbowl specifically. I am saying that QB has much more impact than any other position on the field. and can make a difference between 3 and 10 wins by himself. No other position including pass rusher can do that

"I mean, it can do a lot," Darby said. "The quicker you can get the ball out of the QB's hands, the more aggressive you can play as a DB and things like that. If you trust your front to provide that pressure, it allows you to play more aggressive with things and [be] more comfortable."

Of course, the Redskins could trade the selection, but it would take a massive haul to pry away the No. 2 choice. The Redskins have long liked Young, who finished with 16.5 sacks in 12 games last season. He also had 21 tackles for loss, and ESPN's draft experts, Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr., consider Young the most talented player in the pool.

But it isn't just Young. Even before his name entered the conversation, the newest Redskins defensive players were optimistic, thanks to others up front, notably tackles Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis and Daron Payne and ends Montez Sweat and Ryan Kerrigan.

Washington has switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base defensive front, allowing players such as Kerrigan and Sweat to focus more on pass rushing. The Redskins also added a defensive-minded coach in Ron Rivera, who in turn hired Jack Del Rio to coordinate the group.

"You look at the front four that these guys have assembled," said linebacker Thomas Davis, who spent eight years with Rivera in Carolina, "and not only the front four, I kind of look at the top six or eight guys, I feel like, are capable of going out and completely wrecking the game. As a linebacker, you want to play behind guys that are capable of doing that. That allows you to be free. That allows you to make plays."

The Redskins' front applied pressure last season, as Washington registered a sack on 8.5% of pass attempts. That was tied for seventh in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But the team was 21st on sacks per pass attempt on third down. Not coincidentally, the Redskins were last in the NFL on third-down conversions.

Opposing quarterbacks posted an NFL-best 119.4 passer rating vs. Washington on third downs. That's the highest rating allowed by a defense since ESPN Stats & Info started tracking those numbers in 2001.

....The Redskins can add Young to this mix and, they hope, have a defensive turnaround similar to San Francisco's. In 2018, the 49ers allowed a passer rating of 116.4 on third downs, second worst since 2001 after Washington's mark. Last season, opposing quarterbacks posted a 77.9 passer rating on third downs. The 49ers were tied for second overall on third-down conversions.

San Francisco added pass-rusher Nick Bosa; the Redskins could be adding Young. Washington's secondary remains a work in progress; it'll take more than Young's presence to improve. But a stronger pass rush could be a turning point.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1. Chase Young (Ohio State) | 6'5/264

young

SPARQ percentile: N/A

Adjusted SPARQ: N/A

RAS: N/A

Comp: Julius Peppers (Lance Zierlein)

Chase Young’s family business is law enforcement, not football. His father and uncles are cops, and Young himself was a criminal justice major at Ohio State. In fact, when the former five-star recruit chose the Buckeyes over home-state Maryland, he cited OSU’s criminal justice program as one of the major reasons why. He reportedly has plans to consider a career in law enforcement after his playing days are over. First, we’ll get to watch him lay down the law on NFL offensive tackles. 

Young is coming off a truly dominant season – 16 sacks, 21.5 TFL and six forced fumbles despite missing two games to a suspension for accepting a loan – that would have gotten more Heisman buzz had Joe Burrow not posted the greatest season in college football history. Young settled for the Bronko Nagurski award instead, given to the nation’s best defender. Young’s 96.5 PFF pass-rushing grade last season was the highest-ever for an edge defender. The year before, as a sophomore, Young posted an insane 75 quarterback pressures.

Young is one of those rare “built in a lab” prospects, with perfect factory specifications for length, build and athleticism. He’s extremely flexible, bending edges like origami and getting skinny like Slender Man when needed to knife through cracks. Young is one of the most agile edge defenders we’ve seen in years, capable of not only making linemen miss their mark but reversing directions quickly and fluidly to return to top-speed at max efficiency. His get-off is like a gunshot, and he plays with power and leverage from the second his hands find you.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/evaluations/thors-edge-rankings?page=0

• Like 3

Nobody is going to argue that franchise QB doesn't trump everything else, it does.

But I'm not sold on Tua being a franchise QB. Chase Young on the other hand is as close to a sure thing as you're gonna get at what is the second most important position on the field and a position that CAN act as a force multiplier to building championship teams.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Nobody is going to argue that franchise QB doesn't trump everything else, it does.

I would also venture teams make more mistakes drafting QBs than any other position (Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, RGIII, Mitch Trubisky to name a few over the years)

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

But I'm not sold on Tua being a franchise QB. Chase Young on the other hand is as close to a sure thing as you're gonna get at what is the second most important position on the field and a position that CAN act as a force multiplier to building championship teams.

I am sold (just my opinion) that Tua is a franchise QB.  I've seen him play multiple times live, he's one of my favorite all time college players.  He is capable of being a great QB IMO.  But his health is such a wildcard.  I'd leave it to the team doctors to figure out.  But the issue with him is you can't obviously bring him to your facility to work out and have your own doctors check him out.  So some NFL observer types have said the COVID-19 issue has probably hurt Tua's stock more than anyone because it basically leaves the biggest mystery about him unresolved.

I've been thinking Tua is a long shot the whole time but especially of late.  But the clip that was posted on the draft thread recently that had Rapoport say that Rivera "loves himself some Tua", got my attention.  He didn't say they are taking Tua.  But if Rivera (with Rapoport you never know) really loves Tua than maybe there is an outside shot it goes down.  If it does it would blindside every beat reporter because none of them think they are taking Tua right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/08/tua-tagovailoa-secret-draft-workouts-trent-dilfer/

The other day, Dilfer says he noticed that Tagovailoa was actually throwing harder at the end of his sessions, which is rare.

“If he would have never gotten hurt there would have been no discussion about who the best player in the draft is,” Dilfer says. “He throws the football better than anyone throws the football. He throws better than Aaron Rodgers and Dan Marino. Whoever gets him wins the draft because you are getting a Hall of Fame player.”

Then he adds, “There are some really, really good quarterbacks in this draft, but the best one is Tua.”

Dilfer isn’t the only one with a positive assessment. A few weeks back, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said that if Tagovailoa were healthy, McShay would rank him higher than Burrow, who is widely expected to become the first overall pick of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I had a long post typed up showing that teams that have picked pass rushers in the top 3 over the past decade have, in general, actually gone on to have better records that season than teams who drafted QBs top 3.  Lost the post right when it was almost finished.  No way I'm typing it up again. 😒

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I do think you underestimate the value of Peyton Manning's knowledge and leadership on that team.

Miller led the defense and was a big part of the win as well. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I do think you underestimate the value of Peyton Manning's knowledge and leadership on that team.

I mean, at one point that year, they had more faith in Brock Osweiler at QB than Manning. Brock Osweiler.  And the defense still dragged that bum to a 5-2 record.

The bottom line is that Miller was by far the biggest reason they won the SB that year.  Manning was horrible.

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That's all well and good, and leadership is important, but when he's completing ~55٪ of his passes, throwing more picks than TDs (I think), leadership only goes so far. He was terrible that year, his last in the League. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, at one point that year, they had more faith in Brock Osweiler at QB than Manning. Brock Osweiler.  And the defense still dragged that bum to a 5-2 record.

The bottom line is that Miller was by far the biggest reason they won the SB that year.  Manning was horrible.

It wasn't just Miller though, he had plenty of help with DeMarcus Ware and the rest of that Broncos D. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-redskins-raiders-pauline/

Have you heard anything to corroborate the CBS report that the Redskins could be more likely to trade down from #2 overall than to keep the pick/spot?

I heard the opposite as of last night. I am told the owner and coach are still on the same page in selecting Chase Young with the second overall pick.

Edited by 98ORAKPO98

36 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Manning is a bum. Got it. 

21 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's all well and good, and leadership is important, but when he's completing ~55٪ of his passes, throwing more picks than TDs (I think), leadership only goes so far. He was terrible that year, his last in the League. 

It matters. More than people here seem to understand *shrug*

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Manning is a bum. Got it. 

???

I was clearly referring to Osweiler. He went 5-2 as the starter that year in place of Manning. 

2 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

It wasn't just Miller though, he had plenty of help with DeMarcus Ware and the rest of that Broncos D. 

Yeah, it’s never just one player. But he was the biggest individual contributor by far. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

???

I was clearly referring to Osweiler. He went 5-2 as the starter that year in place of Manning. 

Yeah, it’s never just one player. But he was the biggest individual contributor by far. 

I would have to say Ware was a close second, I believe be recovered a big fumble in the playoff game against the Steelers and then put lots of heat on Brady in the AFC championship game, then had 2 sacks in the superbowl. Miller was the star but wasn't light years ahead of some of the other contributors. Imo. Not that it really matters 😄 

Now let's hope we draft our own version of Miller or Ware in Chase Young. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

The 91 reskins are considered one of the best teams of all time, most Redskins fans will talk of the hogs and Mark Rypen but the big aspect of that team was the defense that just destroyed teams we were first in scoring but second in points allowed one of the reasons Payton Manning only has two rings and Dan Marino has no rings is because they played on teams with no defenses. 

One of the reasons QB rookies struggle in the NFL is because they tend to be on bad teams and people expect them to turn the ship around I have no real faith in Tua, i think he is an walking injury report. Chase builds strength on strength and gives whoever is behind centre on offense time to grow, and gives the team a chance to carve out an identity other than one lost in perminant reinvention  

2 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

The 91 reskins are considered one of the best teams of all time, most Redskins fans will talk of the hogs and Mark Rypen but the big aspect of that team was the defense that just destroyed teams we were first in scoring but second in points allowed one of the reasons Payton Manning only has two rings and Dan Marino has no rings is because they played on teams with no defenses. 

One of the reasons QB rookies struggle in the NFL is because they tend to be on bad teams and people expect them to turn the ship around I have no real faith in Tua, i think he is an walking injury report. Chase builds strength on strength and gives whoever is behind centre on offense time to grow, and gives the team a chance to carve out an identity other than one lost in perminant reinvention  

What is this response trying to do exactly? I’m fairly confused.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

What is this response trying to do exactly? I’m fairly confused.

The "defense doesn't win championships" narrative, in regards to the vacuum talk of QB vs PR. 

Ultimately its a fun cylindrical argument we've all been playing with. QB is absolutely thee most important position and i think we can all agree on that.

If we had traded Trent and there was a "generational" LT sitting at 2, instead of a Pass Rusher, I wonder how different the conversion would be.

"It doesn't matter who the QB is if there's nobody to protect him" vs "a great QB makes the line better" is how it would go i guess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The "defense doesn't win championships" narrative, in regards to the vacuum talk of QB vs PR. 

Ultimately its a fun cylindrical argument we've all been playing with. QB is absolutely thee most important position and i think we can all agree on that.

If we had traded Trent and there was a "generational" LT sitting at 2, instead of a Pass Rusher, I wonder how different the conversion would be.

"It doesn't matter who the QB is if there's nobody to protect him" vs "a great QB makes the line better" is how it would go i guess.

I got that. But where did that post come from in direct reply to my post? All I said was that people underrated Manning’s leadership... *shrug*

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I got that. But where did that post come from in direct reply to my post? All I said was that people underrated Manning’s leadership... *shrug*

Word, I gotcha now. 

Funny, I found myself getting really annoyed at the LT vs QB debate after I typed that, but before I was really awake. :ols:

• Haha 1