Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

So the team's been working hard on increasing depth, adding small upgrades here and there, and making sure there are no holes.  We've done that at OT, IOL (twice), LB (twice), CB, FS, RB (twice), WR, QB, and TE.  The only spots where we haven't are IDL, we happen to be loaded there already.  And Edge.  Normally, you'd think with Ryan Kerrigan being on the last year of his deal, and into his 30's, and not having his usual production...that we'd spend money on Edge for depth.  We didn't.

If we narrow the above positions down to assets spent (so veteran minimum on Richard Rodgers and Cody Lattimer don't count), then that leaves Edge, WR, and TE as the only deserving spots to not receive real attention in free agency.  We were interested in a TE, but backed out once we heard the price tag.  We were interested in the best FA WR, but lost the bidding war.

There is no TE worth a 1st rounder this year.  Due to just how crazy deep this WR draft class is, you can make an arguement there is no WR worth spending a Top 10 pick on, when you can still get damn good prospects for far less.

We're drafting Chase Young at #2 overall.  Based on free agency, I can not see us trading back.  I'm betting we go TE/WR with our next pick, but drafts usually shake out in unexpected ways.

• Like 2

Well here is a question for you college football experts....  who is next year’s Nick Bosa / Chase Young???

there always seems to be a generational talent coming out of college almost every year... is there a player like that for next year?

if we get a huge offer, we should really consider it... also I would really be more open for multiple future first/second rounders than trying to load up on draft picks this year...  

in terms if salary cap... by some chance we actually start drafting better... you actually want to space out the extensions that you need to do...

17 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Well here is a question for you college football experts....  who is next year’s Nick Bosa / Chase Young???

there always seems to be a generational talent coming out of college almost every year... is there a player like that for next year?

if we get a huge offer, we should really consider it... also I would really be more open for multiple future first/second rounders than trying to load up on draft picks this year...  

in terms if salary cap... by some chance we actually start drafting better... you actually want to space out the extensions that you need to do...

There probably isn't one. Guys like that are super rare. The last Edge guy with the kind of hype and combination of freaky athleticism and pass rushing skill and who was considered that good of a prospect was Garrett. Before that was Clowney, and before him was Von Miller...those are the 3 guys I can think of in the last 10 years or so, and most analysts I've read have Chase Young rated above all 3 of those guys as a prospect. Chubb wasn't. Neither was Bosa really. He was considered an excellent prospect with advanced technique who was NFL ready day one, but not really regarded as the sort of freak who has basically everything you could want in a pass rusher and is a generational talent, as far as I remember. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, sjinhan said:

I'm no expert, but Gregory Rousseau from Miami, he's really not that much further behind Chase at the same age, if at all. 15.5 sacks in his first season of full play. I haven't watched him in depth but he kind of reminds me of Aldon Smith. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/redskins-head-coach-ron-rivera-likens-chase-young-to-julius-peppers/?amp

“I said weeks ago that in my Q&A segment that Ron Rivera, who took over the Washington Redskins, loves Chase Young. I’ve not heard that that has changed,” Pauline said. “I’m told that he loves The Predator and he reminds him of Julius Peppers. As of right now, it’s very likely the way they’re going to go.”

https://amp.tmz.com/2020/03/31/joe-theismann-washington-redskins-chase-young-nfl-draft/

Joe Theismann tells TMZ Sports the Redskins would be making a HUGE mistake if they passed on Chase Young for Tua Tagovailoa next month ... saying he simply doesn't think the QB is worth it.

"Without hesitation," the Redskins legend says, "I take Chase Young."

Ron Rivera had Predator Peppers and will now get Predator Young!

32127_132925136723311_100000174754440_381720_8051415_n_medium.jpg

EKFZaBpVAAAyczN.thumb.jpg.d8f9d702f2dd1606f5dd5371ea051b74.jpg

Edited by 98ORAKPO98

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe because Portis sees Sean, in Isaiah ?

I didn’t think about the Sean Taylor comparison.  But I’m not listening to Clinton when it comes to drafting players.  He made some other horrible pick that I can’t remember right now.  But that’s not the only reason.

• Like 2

These so called reporters or beat writers wherever they are located are going to stir the pot.   Young is the pick at #2.  It would take a trade greater than the trade the Saints made with the Redskins in 1999 for the Redskins to trade the pick.  Ain't happening!  My opinion and if you look at the draft and the players in the draft most people would agree.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I can't believe the Isaiah Simmons train is just now starting to gain momentum.

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

These so called reporters or beat writers wherever they are located are going to stir the pot.   Young is the pick at #2.  It would take a trade greater than the trade the Saints made with the Redskins in 1999 for the Redskins to trade the pick.  Ain't happening!  My opinion and if you look at the draft and the players in the draft most people would agree.

Yea this one too

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

23 minutes ago, RWJ said:

19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea this one too

I don't know, man. I'm not 100% sold that Young is the best move for this team. I am mostly sold on it. Say 60%. But can you say Young is better than, say, Simmons + Murray + Niang? Or Thomas + Henderson + Winfield? Or Lamb + Diggs + Best LT? I struggle with that idea. 

Young is a stud. He will change the D. 

But so will the other possible combinations. 

Edited by KDawg

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We live in an age where every person with a blog or twitter feed is a ”journalist.”

• Like 1

Just now, ntotoro said:

We live in an age where every person with a blog or twitter feed is a ”journalist.”

This kind of attitude just seems dismissive unnecessarily to me. I know that's not your usual schtick, nor your intention. I've been here long enough to know that about you as a poster. But the draft is a crap shoot. A lot can happen to make statements like this just look silly.

For the record, I think you guys are right. Taking Young is a pretty good bet. 

But there are VERY legitimate reasons to consider a trade back. 

There are also very legitimate reasons not to consider a trade back.

I don't know. Maybe I'm totally wrong here. But I don't think anyone on either side of the coin should be so dismissive.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

JJ Watt vs. Ryan Kerrigan and Jarvis Jenkins

Demarcus Lawrence vs. Trent Murphy and Spencer Long

Will Fuller vs. Josh Doctson and Robert Davis

How many times must this fanbase be burned before we learn?

So is your take that trading back is never the right call? Just to clarify your point. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Young > Simmons.

Your reasoning is astounding, Brian Orakpo. :ols:

I challenge people with this opinion (and by the way, it IS valid in my opinion) to go watch the tape of some of the other top prospects.

Search YouTube for Isaiah Simmons.

Search YouTube for Derrick Brown... Javon Kinlaw… Kenneth Murray... CeeDee Lamb... Jerry Jeudy… CJ Henderson... Travon Diggs... Jeffrey Okudah.

The draft is a complete cluster... but these dudes have some serious go in 'em. I know it's easy to become attached to players and stick to them because of love at first sight... But open your mind and watch the others.

It is VERY likely you come back that Young is still the best in this draft and there is no reason to pass on him.

But at the very least you may see that there are other outstanding talents in this draft. The top of this draft is loaded.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I view ELITE as a top 3 player at his position.  I don't see that ceiling with any other player in this draft except for maybe Burrow.

Take a look at Derrick Brown.

Take a look at Isaiah Simmons.

Take a look at Ceedee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy.

I don't know if you're a college film guy or not... That's why I'm saying this. Sit down, get a glass of your favorite spirit, and watch these guys play for about 20 minutes each on YouTube. They are phenomenal. 

I'm not taking anything away from Chase Young. He is as good of a prospect as one could expect.

But that doesn't mean there aren't other stone cold killers out there. 

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Take a look at Derrick Brown.

Take a look at Isaiah Simmons.

Take a look at Ceedee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy.

I don't know if you're a college film guy or not... That's why I'm saying this. Sit down, get a glass of your favorite spirit, and watch these guys play for about 20 minutes each on YouTube. They are phenomenal. 

I'm not taking anything away from Chase Young. He is as good of a prospect as one could expect.

But that doesn't mean there aren't other stone cold killers out there. 

I've watched over half a dozen games on all the marquee prospects.  I do not see any other players in this draft with a high likelihood of being top 3 players at their positions in the NFL.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I've watched over half a dozen games on all the marquee prospects.  I do not see any other players in this draft with a high likelihood of being top 3 players at their positions in the NFL.

I don't know how you can come away from those guys on film and think they don't have potential to take over the league. 

But, this is why the draft is a total crapshoot. One man's eye doesn't see what another's does. 

And, ultimately, you could absolutely be correct. Or not.