Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

23 minutes ago, dyst said:

“Could be better than Garrett and Clowney”, he better be the way he is hyped. Those are not the names I want him compared to.

Clowney is pretty good but overall I think he disappointed when compared to his hype, but there were some questions about him coming out regarding his character and desire as to whether he'd have what it took to work hard to maximize his natural talent. He also had some questions about his flexibility/stiffness and repertoire of pass rush moves (or lack thereof...he basically had a bull rush and a swim move but wasn't all that impressive at bending the edge). So IMO it isn't especially shocking that he didn't live up to the hype.

But I'm not sure where you coming from with the Garrett thing, though. Garrett is legit. IMO he was definitely a better prospect coming out than Clowney. More flexible and could bend nicely, more pass rush moves,  more explosive. Though there were questions about his effort. His first year with the Browns wasn't amazing, but it wasn't "bad" with 7 sacks. But his second year he had 13.5 and was 2nd team All-Pro. And in this last season if he hadn't played the fool and started hitting people with helmets he was on pace for 16+ sacks and a likely 1st team All-Pro nod.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

What stands out about Chase Young? 'Everything,' according to Redskins' Kyle Smith

"I've made school calls on a lot of these guys, him included," Smith said. "I've seen him live, I've seen him in person, watched his tape, talked to the coaches, all the deal. I've done the whole background stuff and I've heard great things about him. They talk highly of him there."

But, like any other skilled NFL decision-maker would, Smith made sure to stop short of shedding any real light on the Redskins' plans for late-April.

"He is one of a lot of players — it's a good draft," he said. "I mean, there's a lot of really good players that'll be in consideration."

Yes, there's a lot of really good players, and the Burgundy and Gold should be examining each and every one of them. That said, there's only one Chase Young, and if others in the organization share Smith's opinion that Young has "everything," then expect the Redskins to ignore all incoming calls and make him the first selection of the Rivera era.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/what-stands-out-about-chase-young-everything-according-redskins-kyle-smith

• Like 2

Young is the top non-QB and that isn't changing any time soon. He shattered the PFF single-season pass-rushing record despite opposing teams game-planning for him.

OVERVIEW

Chase Young was tagged as a consensus five-star recruit and one of the country’s top-10 players regardless of position, per Ohio State’s official athletic site, coming out Maryland’s DeMatha Catholic High School in 2017. The University of Maryland pushed to have Young stay in his home state and take his talents to College Park, but Urban Meyer & Co. ultimately swayed him away from the Terps and the 39 other schools that offered Young.

“It’s just a lovely place and I want to go into criminal justice and they have a program,” Young said in October 2016, per USA Today High School Sports. “Coach (Urban) Meyer is a coach who wants to win. The defensive line coach, coach (Larry) Johnson is best in the nation. When I go up there, it’s like a brotherhood. I didn’t get any funny vibes from any of the players.”

We’re running out of adjectives to describe Young’s pass-rushing production in 2019 and over the course of his career. His 96.5 PFF pass-rushing grade in 2019 is the best single-season mark ever recorded by an edge defender in the PFF College era (2014-19). He earned a 91.2 PFF pass-rushing grade and recorded 75 (!!) total pressures as a true sophomore at Ohio State. He is a different breed of athlete and will be highly coveted for his measurables, but his on-field production might be even better.

Hands, burst, power, length, size, flexibility -> all elite traits Young possesses. Every single game it showed up this past season. The only game he didn’t grade out exceptional well was against Northwestern and that is because they literally rolled their quarterback away from him on the majority of plays after he registered a sack on the very first pass of the game. I could go on and on and on, but there’s little doubt in my mind that Young will be a perennial pro-bowler in the NFL.

POSITIVES

• Ideal build from a height/weight/length perspective
  • Understands that one arm is longer than two. Utilizes long arm vs both run and pass
  • Exceptional balance through contact. Even when he doesn’t win clean, can still get to QB
  • Sneaky strong hands. Forklifts OTs when he gets in their shoulder pads.
  • There isn’t a way he can’t win as a pass-rusher. Speed, power, quickness, hands
  • Dominance the likes of which we’ve never seen as a pass-rusher
  •  

NEGATIVES

• Doesn’t play as stout when tight to formation (5/6 tech) as size would suggest
  • Hands can get wide against the run and expose his chest
  • Favorable pass-rushing scheme that affords freedom to work any moves
  •  

ROUND PROJECTION

Top-Five Pick

NFL PLAYER COMPARISON

Aldon Smith

BOTTOM LINE

Young is the best edge prospect we’ve ever scouted.

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I especially dislike the "put all your eggs in one basket by taking Young" thing from the pff article.  There are no eggs.  Trading back is just a possibility.  A possibility that's there for every team in every draft.

No need to take all this pot stirring seriously.  Take the best player, especially when he's this good.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Hope Sweat gets more of these opportunities for a free rush next year with Young on the other side and a blitz up the middle.

Now, imagine Chase Young on the other side and being moved around on the DL.  All I can say is Wow!  Then Kerrigan coming in on 3rd downs with Young lining up at DT.  Our DL should be an incredible one with real coaching from JDR. 

Edited by RWJ

44 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Nah, it was 4.94. Which basically means nothing. Myles Garret ran 5.08 in HS. 

I actually think a 4.94 @ 16 years old is damn impressive.

Having coached HS and college ball, it's not usual you see a non-track kid running a sub 5.0 40. Especially if they are a DL. We had kids run 4.4-4.6, but they were also state champions on the track team. 

Most of our guys were 5.0 and above. Any OL/DL types, even at Young's size at the time were 5.2-5.5ish around 16 years old. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

NBC Sports Washington NFL analyst Charley Casserly was asked on The Sports Junkies to compare Young to some of the recent top draft picks at his position. Casserly made a point as to why Young is a better prospect coming out of college than all of them.

The first player Young was compared to was Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, who was the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft out of South Carolina.

"[Young is] better than Clowney," Casserly said. "Clowney had a spotted career where he was injured and wasn't consistent when he did play. [Young]  is more consistent and he's played more games. All these guys played at a high level."

There have been a handful of edge rushers that have been considered to be elite NFL Draft prospects over the past two decades. Besides Clowney, names like Mario Williams, Julius Peppers and most recently in 2017, Myles Garrett come to mind.

Casserly explained where Young has the advantage over all three of those prospects.

"He's more consistent than Myles Garrett coming out," Casserly said. "He's a better athlete than Mario Williams, meaning he'll make more plays as an athlete. Going back to Julius Peppers who was taken second, he's a more instinctive player than Peppers was at that point."

Casserly made the point that he's comparing Young to all these players when they were prospects, not their full body of work in the NFL. But by saying Young is better entering the league than all four of those players, all multiple-time Pro Bowlers, is a great sign for Young's future.

"I'm only comparing college careers. That's how you scout," he said. "You take a guy and start comparing him to people, and at the end, you go 'Oh, wow.' That's the way I look at the guy."

As for what the Redskins should do with the No.2  overall pick? Casserly thinks that the decision is easy.

"If I'm the Redskins I take Chase Young," he said. "I don't move back. He's that good of a football player."

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2

Bengals quote: "I can tell you one thing, what Andy Dalton's done for the Cincinnati Bengals is not something that we're going to forget and we're not going to just willy-nilly, make something happen with him that, a) he's uncomfortable with and, b) that we're uncomfortable with," Tobin said at the time. 

Its clear they are going somewhere to get a QB and why on god's green earth would you pick up a veteran in his place? So to me, the Bengals have made it clear what position they're looking to fill. It may be Tua, it may be Burrow. Welcome Young QB Chaser.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1