Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Also, I hear Bengals is in some discussions about trading Dalton which mean we'll have both Detroit and Bengals looking for a QB realllllll early.  HMM....

For me the only way we deal the pick is Chase still gotta be there when we draft.

Edited by arftech

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins should stay put, select Ohio State defensive end Chase Young and move forward with no regrets. Then again, the Redskins need more than one player to turn the roster around and could get a haul in return for the second pick.

This is a debate will go on until the draft.

And whichever direction they take, it’ll shape their franchise for the foreseeable future. One talent evaluator summed it up this way: If they believe Young can be a transcendent player, they take him.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39594/redskins-offseason-dilemma-draft-chase-young-or-trade-no-2-pick

• Like 1

The Keim article about staying put with the pick was very interesting.  If you trade the pick and move down and get several picks the key is then to select

the right players.  The examples Keim gave showed some of the teams that used the trade down strategy often made bad selections with the extra picks.  If you

believe Kyle Smith has had reasonable success in the last draft then you might roll the dice to move down for more picks.  But since we are following coach centric

model then Rivera is in the driver's seat. He will probably pick Chase Young and wait to see how Smith does with the other picks we already have this year.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Called it. Now let’s see what unfolds. But whether they trade Stafford or not (cap concerns doing it this year) ... it makes sense for them to draft Tua. 

If the Lions get a 2nd for Stafford (or a 1st) the cap is probably worth absorbing for one year if they can get Tua on a rookie deal. 

and this is the dream scenario we want. Because now Miami is gonna have to jump Detroit if they want Tua even if it’s smoke. And we can get picks from Detroit to swap 2&3 if they truly want Tua. 

should expect some noise from Skins camp of either interest in Tua or pick being for sale. 

Same here....

Didnt expect them to find a trade partner, but had every feeling they were going to be preparing to move on. 

Now the 2 teams we need to dance with, have taken their first step.  Detroit appears to want to move on, and Miami now knows it.  If the chase for Tua is going to take off, we sit in the catbird seat and control the pieces.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This would be big because if it means they want Tua, you could swap the 2nd for the third. 

@mistertim

Still think it's not possible? :cheers:

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

But we’re running a 4-3.  And we have Reuben Foster.

Reading up on Foster he is a long ways off from getting on the football field if he ever does again. That being said, if he can come back and play at the level he used to play at, I'm very excited to see him in the middle of our defense. I just think it's a long-shot that he's ready to start the season. The guy just recently started getting feeling back in his foot from severe nerve damage....

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

But we’re running a 4-3.  And we have Reuben Foster.

The same Reuben Foster who just regained feeling in his foot? The same guy who has played in 16/48 possible games as a pro?

He's a special talent if he can be healthy, but this team can't rely on injury prone players anymore. I'd rather have someone less talented that plays consistently than someone who's injury can ravage your team.

Foster is still a cheap option for us. So keeping him as a bonus that could pan out is absolutely a great play. And if the dude gets healthy he may be our best defensive player immediately (of guys on the roster currently, I can't see the future). But at this point that's a large "if".

• Like 1

Some compelling points about how it doesn't make sense for Detroit to move Stafford.

#3 it can be argued, teams do weird stuff sometimes, see Odell's big extension and then trading him soon after.

#4 is a good argument, his value this off-season will be low given how much QB talent is available.

#5 is also good...Stafford was having a great year until he got hurt. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Reading up on Foster he is a long ways off from getting on the football field if he ever does again. That being said, if he can come back and play at the level he used to play at, I'm very excited to see him in the middle of our defense. I just think it's a long-shot that he's ready to start the season. The guy just recently started getting feeling back in his foot from severe nerve damage....

I forgot he wouldn’t be ready by the start of the season.  Most recently that I read anything on him, things seemed to be going well.  But now that I remember, and hearing what you just said, we should start looking at better options, yes.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Same here....

Didnt expect them to find a trade partner, but had every feeling they were going to be preparing to move on. 

Now the 2 teams we need to dance with, have taken their first step.  Detroit appears to want to move on, and Miami now knows it.  If the chase for Tua is going to take off, we sit in the catbird seat and control the pieces.  

@mistertim

Still think it's not possible? :cheers:

Nothing is impossible, but I still think it's highly unlikely and makes little to zero sense. 

Also Bob Quinn has already come out and flatly denied those trade rumors. 

I'm not surprised of the "trade rumors" for Stafford. The team has a lot of needs and could go in a variety of directions with their first pick. If they could convince a team like Chargers, Vegas or Carolina to trade up for Tua instead of watching him fall to Miami then they're probably better off doing that. I absolutely don't see them truly wanting to get rid of Stafford no matter how overrated he is.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Nothing is impossible, but I still think it's highly unlikely and makes little to zero sense. 

Also Bob Quinn has already come out and flatly denied those trade rumors. 

I know, that was kind of a jab, more than a total endorsement.  

Like I said, i didn't expect them to find a trade partner, because I don't think it's possible to trade him, but the notion that they're looking at life after Stafford could be telling.  If they want to move on from him after this coming season, when it would make sense financially, then this draft could be the time to do so. 

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I know, that was kind of a jab, more than a total endorsement.  

Like I said, i didn't expect them to find a trade partner, because I don't think it's possible to trade him, but the notion that they're looking at life after Stafford could be telling.  If they want to move on from him after this coming season, when it would make sense financially, then this draft could be the time to do so. 

But what evidence do we have that they're even looking at life after Stafford at this point? One clickbait article that has been flatly rejected publicly by the Lions GM? The guy is 32, not 42; he's one year older than Kirk Cousins. And he's coming off of a season where he was looking dominant before eventually going on IR and from what I've read he's going to be 100% healthy when the season starts. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But what evidence do we have that they're even looking at life after Stafford at this point? One clickbait article that has been flatly rejected publicly by the Lions GM? The guy is 32, not 42; he's one year older than Kirk Cousins. And he's coming off of a season where he was looking dominant before eventually going on IR and from what I've read he's going to be 100% healthy when the season starts. 

That's true, i'm taking an article and speculating myself.  I guess i'm reading that and believing where there is smoke, there is some level of fire, even if small.  It's all speculative, so who knows. I should have included the word "IF."  This is all speculation on my part... 

I'm just connecting dots and seeing that Stafford not being on the Lions when camp breaks in 2021 makes a lot of sense, and this single article could be a piece of a puzzle that ends up getting a lot clearer in about a year.  Many MANY front office people report that claims are false, only to have those claims end up being true, to some degree... so i take all that with a grain of salt.  

Edited by OVCChairman

31 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm not surprised of the "trade rumors" for Stafford. The team has a lot of needs and could go in a variety of directions with their first pick. If they could convince a team like Chargers, Vegas or Carolina to trade up for Tua instead of watching him fall to Miami then they're probably better off doing that. I absolutely don't see them truly wanting to get rid of Stafford no matter how overrated he is.

Their GM has come out and refuted this. 100% false news. The Lions aren't trading Stafford, they're in win now mode.

That Detroit swap would be great, but unless A. They just fall in love with a QB who they determine is a sure superstar, and B. Miami comes in real heavy, and it's super obvious to Detroit, it just isn't happening. They have to be both sold on taking a particular QB, and sold that someone is going to jump them. It's too obvious we just want Chase Young

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Their GM has come out and refuted this. 100% false news. The Lions aren't trading Stafford, they're in win now mode.

Regardless, it's created a narrative that a QB may very well be picked in that spot whether by them or by someone else. And that has created a concern in GMs that they may need to move up if they want someone. IMO Detroit is in the best position and IMO the most obvious trade out spot. I'd be shocked if they're picking 3rd. Between Simmons, Okudah and Brown, the Lions can still get a BPA at a position in need and probably come away with an extra first and second with it as well.

• Like 1

Would you guys take Stafford in exchange for Haskins, Dunbar and the 3rd? At 32, he has at least a few good years left assuming he stays healthy and he would be on a cap friendly deal as the Lions would eat a lot of the cap. He seems to be a good fit for an Air Coryell scheme

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Would you guys take Stafford in exchange for Haskins, Dunbar and the 3rd? At 32, he has at least a few good years left assuming he stays healthy and he would be on a cap friendly deal as the Lions would eat a lot of the cap. He seems to be a good fit for an Air Coryell scheme

What? I need a head slap emoji. So we gonna trade....a what...23 yrs old qb on a rookie deal...that was progressing...a borderline great homegrown cb and a 3rd round pick....for matthew stafford and his 30 mil contract and 32? This is an alex smith all over again idea. Bruce is this you?! 

Method man. Really HOW HIGH are you?

Edited by 757SeanTaylor21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

What? I need a head slap emoji. So we gonna trade....a what...23 yrs old qb on a rookie deal...that was progressing...a borderline great homegrown cb and a 3rd round pick....for matthew stafford and his 30 mil contract and 32? This is an alex smith all over again idea. Bruce is this you?! 

Talking about trading a QB with Jameis Winston level maturity issues, a CB that doesn't want to be here and is hurt all the time anyway and a 3rd for a guy who has been sneakily very good for the last few years without a great supporting cast. With Chase Young and shoring up the LBs & CBs, this team can compete in the playoffs next season with a good QB

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, method man said:

Talking about trading a QB with Jameis Winston level maturity issues, a CB that doesn't want to be here and is hurt all the time anyway and a 3rd for a guy who has been sneakily very good for the last few years without a great supporting cast. With Chase Young and shoring up the LBs & CBs, this team can compete in the playoffs next season with a good QB

So hey lets tie up about 50 million in qbs. One that is coming off an injury and one thats still injured? And exactly how mature were you at his age?

Actually both are coming off injury but one has a longer timetable

Edited by 757SeanTaylor21

8 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

So hey lets tie up about 50 million in qbs. One that is coming off an injury and one thats still injured? And exactly how mature were you at his age?

Actually both are coming off injury but one has a longer timetable

What is with this maturity at his age excuse? Look at Daniel Jones. The guy has not embarrassed his team on or off the field. The guy has come in Day 1, worked his ass off, has been the first guy in first guy out from the start and has earned the respect of his teammates. Giants fans have to feel good about him

9 minutes ago, method man said:

Jameis Winston level maturity issues?  Do you remember what Winston did... before he even got to the NFL?  The two are not comparable.   He was accused of sexual assault, got caught stealing crab legs, then stood on a table in the middle of the FSU quad and screamed an obscenity that would get me a timeout from this board if i were to type it out.  He then got accused of touching a woman inappropriately, and suspended 3 games for it in 2018.  

Haskins missed the final snap of his first win because he was taking a selfie with some fans... 

Where do they compare? Did i miss something? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, method man said:

I wouldn't even take Stafford for a third straight up.

• Like 2