Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Am I crazy in thinking it may not be a sure thing that Chase Young will be available at 2?  Listening to some of the "rumors," about how Joe doesn't want to be in Cincinnati, compounded with Chase playing his college ball in Ohio...I have this weird gut feeling CY may be selected first overall.  Not to mention, that would be the most Bengals thing that the Bengals could actually do...passing on an elite QB.

I know almost no one believes Joe goes anywhere but #1, but could it happen and we are all getting excited to be let down?  (Although the collection of draft picks would help ease the pain)

1 hour ago, thelongestbreath said:

Am I crazy in thinking it may not be a sure thing that Chase Young will be available at 2?  Listening to some of the "rumors," about how Joe doesn't want to be in Cincinnati, compounded with Chase playing his college ball in Ohio...I have this weird gut feeling CY may be selected first overall.  Not to mention, that would be the most Bengals thing that the Bengals could actually do...passing on an elite QB.

I know almost no one believes Joe goes anywhere but #1, but could it happen and we are all getting excited to be let down?  (Although the collection of draft picks would help ease the pain)

I would not be let down if Joe Burrow fell to #2. We could potentially get a Herschel Walker type of draft haul for him. That being said, no chance he falls to #2. Some team will take him with the first pick, 99.9% chance it's the Bengals. 

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I would not be let down if Joe Burrow fell to #2. We could potentially get a Herschel Walker type of draft haul for him. That being said, no chance he falls to #2. Some team will take him with the first pick, 99.9% chance it's the Bengals. 

Yeah, like I said the draft picks would be an excellent "tissue" for losing out on Chase Young.  It's an interesting thought though, based on logistics of where he played, the smoke of Joe not wanting to play for Cincy, he's the unquestioned top talent of this draft, or the argument that while QB is most important...CY plays your 2nd most important spot on a team(heck Bosa and that D + RBs took Jimmy G to a Super Bowl..I'd say Dalton is at least comparable to Jimmy).

I am with you and everyone else that all things seem to point to Cincy taking Joe, I just have this weird gut feeling that maybe the Bengals will roll with Dalton for another year(or make a run at Rivers), take Chase Young and try the SF approach this year.

• Like 1

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-young?id=3219594f-5514-6550-d662-263c81d981b1

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Julius Peppers
Overview
Elite size, length and athleticism created loads of production and a vaulted pro projection, but Young's set of disruptive properties have yet to be fully weaponized. He's fairly basic as a pass rusher, with just a couple of go-to moves and an occasional inside counter, and yet he still managed 16.5 sacks in 2019. He has the traits to overwhelm many of the tackles he faces, and it won't take long for teams to add a bull-rush, a rip-and-run and a stab counter into his repertoire. He plays a little upright at the point of attack, and his ball awareness is below average, but those concerns aren't enough to counterbalance his range and agility as a run defender. Young possesses superior traits and the ability to wreck and alter offensive game-plans as a perennial All-Pro.
Strengths
  • Rare physical specimen with long, chiseled, pliable frame
  • Staggering leaps in high-impact production over consecutive seasons
  • Loose, fluid, agile, aggressive and explosive
  • Rush pace quickened substantially from 2018
  • Quick-twitch eruption out of his stance with first step
  • Provides early response to dislodge and clear the punch
  • Momentum/balance gives his rush extended life
  • Turns torso and flips hips to climb around tackles
  • Consistently targets QB's throwing arm when attacking the pocket
  • Power and size to play through blocker's edge
  • Operates with quick hands and rarely allows them to linger
  • Speed and length create expansive play-making radius
  • Low success rate for teams trying to run around him
  • Once he sinks his hooks in, it's over for the ball-carrier
  • Long, lateral slide for sudden step-around as edge defender
  • Heat-seeking missile with exceptional change-of-direction talent
Weaknesses
  • Non-factor in the playoff loss to Clemson
  • Field awareness and anticipation is below average
  • Loses track of the football at the mesh point
  • Gives some ground when setting the edge
  • Could use better anchor drop in his lower half
  • Rush plan heavily reliant upon athletic ability and traits
  • Initial hands lack purpose and skill in pass rush
  • Not very instinctive as a pass rusher
  • Needs to create more half-man entry points as a rusher
  • Telegraphs inside slide step counter
  • Will need better go-to moves to become less predictable as a pro
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This dude isn't a nobody, 11K plus followers.  But hard for me to believe this would happen this early before Tua is finished with the medicals, etc.  I recall McShay something is coming out about Tua soon medically but not yet. 

He is a nobody. Look at his feed.

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Sileo is a grade A bum, but regardless, I'm certain we will listen to Miami.  We'll ask for the moon, and we'll see how much they wanna risk on someone one'upping them. But the minimum starts with their 3 firsts and top 2nd imo. 

Dont forget also that we need to have a deal in place, should Cincy take CY with #1. I'd be worried a deal wasn't being discussed. If this report is false right now, it will only be a matter of time that it isnt.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

Dont forget also that we need to have a deal in place, should Cincy take CY with #1. I'd be worried a deal wasn't being discussed. If this report is false right now, it will only be a matter of time that it isnt.

I think there will be a lot of deals in place already if the Bengals take Young but they are in dire need of a field general and Burrow is that guy this year with his play and winning the CFB championship.

• Like 1

Wtf is a Dan Sileo?

And a trade up talk right now would be way too early. Nothing like that would happen until after the combine/private workouts.

6 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

And if it is us that gets offered the 3 Mia firsts + their 2nd(which I think isnt totally likely atm) we could conceivably have a trade in place to Move back up with Detroit for the 2nd first and 2nd to get CY + a first. Or some amalgamation of the 3 picks.

Lions wouldn't be as dumb as us to pass on Young.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

This report is entirely fabricated with zero truth to it. They’re taking Young at 2 and that’s final.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:31 AM, redskinss said:

I know this is probably a no brainer hypothetical, but I'm curious if you had the choice right now with the second overall pick between chase young and nick bosa, knowing what we know now who would you pick?

Obviously smart money is on bosa, already proven he can be a dominant force in the nfl and had a d.r.o.t.y. season but I wonder if there's anyone in here with so much confidence in young that they'd take him over bosa right now.

I'd take Young. I posted this in some thread or another, but I don't know that I think that Bosa's ceiling is that much higher than his current level of play. I don't see him ever being a 15-18 sack guy. He's a solid but but not extremely gifted athlete and is largely a force because of his power. He came into the league with essentially a completely developed pass rush arsenal, NFL strength and great hands. I don't see where he is going to suddenly make gains to go from a 9 sack guy to a 15 sack guy. I think he's a slightly more elite Joey Bosa. 

Bosa wasn't as dominant in college as young. Nobody was ever going to talk about either Bosa for the Heisman. Bosa has an injury history that isn't there for Young. You can look the other way if you want, but Bosa missed most of his last year of college with that core injury, and his brother has been a chronically injured guy. Bosa is 2 years older than Chase, so if we are just starting out, I'd rather have the guy that can play for longer. Bosa is clearly the less explosive athlete with the lower ceiling. Bosa isn't as long as Chase Young. Bosa didn't produce against the run in college at an elite level. 

I'll also say that I was rooting for Bosa and the 49'ers in the Super Bowl and this might seem nit picky, but I was disappointed that he didn't break Mahommes in half on the second QB option that the Chiefs ran. I think it was the second quarter. Bosa was right there and made contact, but pulled up a little. Part of that is coaching. If I were Saleh, after the 1st time the Chiefs successfully ran the QB option, I would have told the defense that if the Chiefs ran that play again, they should ignore the pitch man and just destroy Patrick Mahommes. If he's a runner, he's fair game. There wasn't enough Sean Taylor in Nick Bosa for me on that play. 

Chase Young is longer, a much more explosive athlete, was a much more dominant college player, and doesn't have the injury history. I'll take the guy that projects to have multiple 15-18 sack years. I'll also say that Young projects better as a run defender. In Young's best season, he posted 46 tackles and 21 TFL in 12 games. In 14 games, Bosa posted 34 tackles and 16 TFL. I tend to find DL tackle production as being somewhat indicative of overall instincts and it definitely reflects production vs the run. 

To some degree, this conversation comes down to the bird in a hand vs two in the bush question. Give me the prospect that looks like a potential perennial All Pro/DPOY/HOF type guy, even if there is risk of his being a bust. In my mind, Bosa is a 12-13 sack a year guy that isn't going to be elite against the run. I'd take Chase. 

• Like 2

We should be talking about a trade just for due diligence as others have said. In case Chase goes #1 or if Detroit falls in love with Tua and we can swap 2/3 with them. Or as others said, possibly lay a ground work for a 3 team trade that still gets us Chase at 3. 

It’s logical to discuss all options to ensure we have multiple plans in place depending on how things unfold. 

• Like 3

On 2/5/2020 at 1:40 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I saw Rick Snider's article that the SF loss is proof that they should trade down I think his logic is ludicrous. 

He might be the worst writer in the DC area. 

I understand the idea behind trading down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 10 years ago, we traded back for a bunch of picks and got Ryan Kerrigan. Good player. We also go Leonard Hankerson and Roy Helu. We passed on JJ Watt.

Take the elite talent. When was the last time we had a defensive player you had to scheme for? Taylor?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Good thing the Bengals are taking Burrow then.

That's all nice in theory but we dont know that for sure. We dont know what Cincy is thinking. We dont know if they will go CY with #1, knowing that theyll have a good chance at some equally good QB's coming out next year.

Especially in the wake of the "Burrows doesnt want to play for Cinci" rumors.

27 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

That's all nice in theory but we dont know that for sure. We dont know what Cincy is thinking. We dont know if they will go CY with #1, knowing that theyll have a good chance at some equally good QB's coming out next year.

Especially in the wake of the "Burrows doesnt want to play for Cinci" rumors.

His dad pretty much shot that down.

Doesn't mean Cinn is for certain taking Burrow (the only argument could be that Chase Young is grading out and is considered as one of the best prospects in the last decade - according to most evaluators) where Burrows is the best QB in this draft but is not the best player in the draft or top 10 for the last few years. Honestly i see that as very unlikely but stranger things have happened. 

More importantly, if they take Young, there is nothing bad that happens for us. There will be at that time a bidding war for the #2 pick for those needing a QB - or it has been suggested we might take Burrow although I would be really disappointing in that - not becasue I am some huge Haskins fan. But becasue it seems a bit hasty and wastes at least one of the two 1st rd picks. Not even gonig to discuss if we take Tua - I would lose all respect for this new FO. 

image.png.02d2106c8a79625b49ba9a96e88bc436.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Doesn't mean Cinn is for certain taking Burrow (the only argument could be that Chase Young is grading out and is considered as one of the best prospects in the last decade - according to most evaluators) where Burrows is the best QB in this draft but is not the best player in the draft or top 10 for the last few years. Honestly i see that as very unlikely but stranger things have happened. 

I think the chances Cincy doesn’t take a QB is minimal and IF they don’t want to take a QB, then I think it’s a fair bet somebody who wants a QB trades up to 1 to grab a QB.

I find it hard to believe Cincy would draft Young. If you have the chance to pic a franchise QB or a franchise pass rusher, you pick the QB 10 times out of 10.

But, as you said, stranger things have happened.