Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020/02/111961/chase-young-jeff-okudah-can-continue-ohio-states-run-of-instant-defensive-stars-in-the-nfl?amp

Young is likely to land with the Washington Redskins, where he should be an immediate starter at defensive end as the Redskins shift to a 4-3 defense under new head coach Ron Rivera. While the Redskins already have two starting-caliber pass-rushers on their rosters in Ryan Kerrigan and 2019 first-round pick Montez Sweat, Young is far too talented for any team that drafts him to keep him off the field. Even at the next level, he’ll immediately be one of the league’s most physically gifted players.

Count the younger Bosa, who knows how talented Young is from playing alongside him and knows firsthand what it takes to achieve immediate success in the NFL, among those who expects Ohio State’s latest superstar defensive end to make a big impact right away for his new team.

“I think he’ll be Defensive Rookie of the Year next year, or even more,” Bosa told reporters in Miami last week before the Super Bowl. “His potential is as good as anybody’s, just with his physical attributes. He’s 6-5, 270, runs like a receiver, strong. We’re gonna have to get together and work, get him right. It’s a little different playing NFL tackles, but once he gets the hang of it, he’s gonna be the real deal.”

Like Nick Bosa, Young arrived at Ohio State as a top-10 overall recruit, and he’ll likely soon join Bosa by becoming Ohio State’s second consecutive No. 2 overall pick. In the process, he’ll also become the third Ohio State defensive end in a five-year span to be a top-three overall pick, joining Joey Bosa, who went No. 3 overall in 2016.

Nick Bosa says that’s a testament to Ohio State defensive line coach Larry Johnson.

“He knows how to develop players, so if you give him a five-star, he’s probably gonna be a top-five pick,” Bosa said.

Both Bosas performed up to the hype as NFL rookies, in part because of how well-prepared they were by Johnson, and Young is more than capable of following in their footsteps and doing the same.

• Like 3

I predict CY will have 50 tackles, 15 sacks, 9 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 interceptions, 2 defensive touchdowns, 10 passes defensed, 10 stuffs, 1 blocked kick en route to DROTY and DPOTY honors. Don't rule out 3 sacks in February and Super Bowl MVP also. Booyah.

Edited by 98ORAKPO98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We’re gonna have to get together and work, get him right. It’s a little different playing NFL tackles, but once he gets the hang of it, he’s gonna be the real deal.”

hearing this from Bosa....what cy does this off season will be telling for sure 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

We’re gonna have to get together and work, get him right. It’s a little different playing NFL tackles, but once he gets the hang of it, he’s gonna be the real deal.”

hearing this from Bosa....what cy does this off season will be telling for sure 

Man I would love it if he actually got together with the Bosas and worked out and they helped prepare him. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dyst said:

@Skinsinparadise thanks for the video. Honestly if he turns out to be Myles or Clowney I will be disappointed. 

Agreed on Clowney, but Garrett was on track to having 16 sacks last year and in the DPOY discussion before that idiotic helmet incident.  He had 13.5 sacks the year before that.  All with average to below average DL talent around him.  So it'd be hard for me to be disappointed if that's what Young turns out to be.  

By the way, they're both elite at beating their blocks quickly, though Clowney has never been a great finisher (3 sacks last year and never double digits).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dyst said:

@Skinsinparadise thanks for the video. Honestly if he turns out to be Myles or Clowney I will be disappointed. 

As for the talk about the Bosa’s, both of those two seem to have solid lower base strength, hard to move them. Those who watch Chase, is he the same?

Chase has a strong lower base. I've not though done tit for tat with Nick Bosa.   Your post made me rewatch the Clemson game.  Wow.  I've watched a series of Young's games just focused on him but that's the first time I've done the Clemson game like that.  He has a great game IMO.  Yeah no sacks but constant pressure.  He was beating double teams even on the inside.  He was just a hair too late to finish with a sack but he was disruptive as heck.

I got to study him against the run.  His reputation is that he's good albeit not great on that front and some say better than Bosa on that front.   But I'll watch specifically for that. In the Clemson game they didn't really run at him.  Lawrence scrambled his way multiple times.  On first blush it looks like he anchors well, he's tough to wash out of a play.  He's a physical-strong dude.  It looks like you can use his aggressiveness against him where he might not always contain and would over pursue. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 7.53.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.03.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.04.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 7.57.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 7.58.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.01.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.01.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 7.53.05 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

Nice post, SIP. I agree about Chase Young's base. He is so powerful. He gets chipped and double teamed and it seems like he is always plowing ahead, even through multiple guys. Ohio State is rightly recognized as doing such a good job developing the DL. I'd offer Larry Johnson a ton of money to come here and work on Montez Sweat. 

This is what McShay had to say about Chase Young in his latest mock: "No, this instead has everything to do with the special talent of Young, who has one of the highest grades I've given a player in two decades of scouting. " I mean, that is really remarkable. One of the best grades of any prospect, at any position, in 20 years. I wonder who had the highest grade...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Nice post, SIP. I agree about Chase Young's base. He is so powerful. He gets chipped and double teamed and it seems like he is always plowing ahead, even through multiple guys. Ohio State is rightly recognized as doing such a good job developing the DL. I'd offer Larry Johnson a ton of money to come here and work on Montez Sweat. 

This is what McShay had to say about Chase Young in his latest mock: "No, this instead has everything to do with the special talent of Young, who has one of the highest grades I've given a player in two decades of scouting. " I mean, that is really remarkable. One of the best grades of any prospect, at any position, in 20 years. I wonder who had the highest grade...

It's months back but I sat one day and just watched multiple Chase Young games in a row.   And I was just blown away.  It wasn't the sacks but the constant pressure. I've not seen a pass rushing menace of his caliber in a long time.  I said right then on the draft thread, I am not trading down if we can get him.

When you watch our guys on the D line, they are all good but its not constant pressure.  Not even close.  They have moments but they aren't like Haskins said about Young "a game wrecker".  Sweat has that potential perhaps.  He destroyed the Cowboys backup LT in the last game.  But if Young plays in the NFL like he did in college, he's going to be special and will make his fellow D lineman and secondary better.   He can win with power or speed.  

The fact that he can beat double teams on the inside is insane.   I personally think he deserves every bit of the hype he's getting.  Rewatching that Clemson game has reinforced that in my mind. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Can I ask why i hear that Simmons is a tweener? 

he's listed as a S/LB, it's said you can play him at MLB, Weakside LB, safety and I think nickelback, he weighs 230, which I'm pretty sure is still small for an NFL LB.  NFL coaches an rosters are good enough this guy is not going to be able to use all these skills at this size in the NFL.  He puts on weight, it'll disrupt his playing style

2 minutes ago, carex said:

he's listed as a S/LB, it's said you can play him at MLB, Weakside LB, safety and I think nickelback, he weighs 230, which I'm pretty sure is still small for an NFL LB.  NFL coaches an rosters are good enough this guy is not going to be able to use all these skills at this size in the NFL.  He puts on weight, it'll disrupt his playing style

He's about 8-10 lbs away from being right in that perfect window for Will LB..  and he's really rangy.  He came into Clemson at 6'3 205, played both ways in HS as a WR and a FS... added 25 LBs and appears to move better than anyone on the field.  I don't think he's a typical tweener.  

8 minutes ago, carex said:

It's not small for NFL LBs. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/130439-nfl-draft-line-backer-size-is-not-that-important

That said, he's not a MLB. In any sense. Putting him there minimizes his skillset... Unless it's Nickel and you want to do some creative stuff.

His frame can probably handle an extra 5-10 pounds of weight. 

Can play in the slot, SS, FS and OLB. He's ideal for Nickel sets because you can roll him over #2 and you're set. He can cover tight ends and backs and slot receivers. Physical player. He's also a pretty damned good edge rusher. 

You don't need to be all that creative to utilize his talents. Just need to put him in good spots. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, zskins said:

Lol.... Actually a player who is able to play two different positions.

specifically it's a player who is able to play two different positions who doesn't seem to fit the prototypical skillset or physique of those positions.  A C/G is not a tweener

• Like 1

Ask anybody at any level of Ohio State’s defense, and they’ll hail Chase Young as somebody who makes their job easier. 

Linebackers mention the focus offensive linemen have on Young, allowing them to play with more freedom. Cornerbacks go on about Young minimizing the time they need to remain in coverage. Safeties tout Young forcing offenses to rely on quicker-hitting route combinations. Defensive ends talk about his pass-rushing acumen freeing them up for one-on-ones on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Defensive tackles reference his ability to eat up blockers, giving them more room to operate on the interior. 

“His presence matters,” Ryan Day said on Dec. 3 a couple days after Ohio State beat Michigan.

“Although sometimes maybe it doesn't mean he's getting sacks or TFL's, when two or three guys get the attention of him, that opens up things for other guys. (Jonathon Cooper) getting a sack, that max protection where the whole line was sliding his way. That's part of the impact Chase has on a game.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/12/110729/ohio-state-needs-secondary-pass-rushers-to-step-up-alongside-chase-young-to-slow-down-trevor-lawrence%3famp

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dyst said:

As for the talk about the Bosa’s, both of those two seem to have solid lower base strength, hard to move them. Those who watch Chase, is he the same?

I agree with @HTTRDynastyon this. Clowney never lived up to his potential (which, honestly, isn't incredibly surprising given that there were questions coming out about his motivation, etc). But IMO Garrett is the real deal (as long as you keep a helmet out of his hand). His first season was a little underwhelming for such a hyped guy but he was 2nd team All-Pro his 2nd year in the league with 13.5 sacks. And he was probably on track for 1st team All-Pro this season before he acted the fool and got himself suspended.