Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

....Cracks me up how people always want to **** about players money like it's coming from their own pocket.

Its not that but lookong at it like paying 1 good player elite money will force the team two lose 2 other good players.

Anyway, How many games did Haskins start with Sheriff in there?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a good point. If you have a great front 4 that consistently gets pressure on the QB you can do way more with coverages. I think it's easier for a good DL to mask deficiencies in a deficient secondary than it is for a good secondary to mask a deficient DL that doesn't get pressure. Even the best CB can only cover a guy for so long and is eventually going to be beaten. And if you add a guy like Young to your DL then you basically give it a shot of steroids because he's a dude that has game planned for and be accounted for on every single down, no matter what. You can only double team so many guys before you're just running max protect every down.

• Like 1

Remember the San Fran narrative.  This is actually not quite true.  Had San Fran's offense been as good last year in the red zone and short area this year along with the health of Jimmy G and the step back by LA, they would likely have been a wild card team in 2018 or at least one of the last teams missing the playoffs. While the San Fran narrative has indications of not being quite true, I could see that given this narrative and the narrative of the Mike Brown being cheap along with his defacto GM status. The possibility of having multiple quality starters playing on rookie contracts in 2022 and 2023 would probably be a cheap way to maximize revenues would be a very strong carrot to dangle in front of Brown,

Skins will take DE Chase Young.  The bigger question is if they can get back in the First Round to get a guy like DL Javon Kinlaw.  Having Young and Kinlaw on this team will take this defense to another level.  I hope the team can put a package together that includes Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan to the Ravens for a chance to have their First Rounder to get Kinlaw.  Then after releasing guys like Reed, Richardson and Norman, Skins can concentrate on getting top Tackle, Guard and TE in Free Agency.  I hope we can find away to get Young and Kinlaw, future NFL stars and you heard it from me.

Edited by rcjur1

23 hours ago, KDawg said:

This also depends on Trent. 

If Trent is moved, or extended short term, you can pay Scherff. 

If Trent is inked for a few extra years, its harder to pay him. 

They really are in  a tough spot with regard to Scherff.  Regardless of the Trent situation they will be forced to pay Scherff like he's one of the top guards in the league and he is not, so that kind of automatically mean they will have to over pay to retain their own FA.   

21 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Cracks me up how people always want to **** about players money like it's coming their own pocket.

We discuss the player's contract not because we feel the money is coming from our own pockets, the amount players make are constantly discussed because we all understand the salary cap and how one big contract can effect the team's ability to sign other players.   

15 hours ago, rcjur1 said:

Skins will take DE Chase Young.  The bigger question is if they can get back in the First Round to get a guy like DL Javon Kinlaw.  Having Young and Kinlaw on this team will take this defense to another level.  I hope the team can put a package together that includes Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan to the Ravens for a chance to have their First Rounder to get Kinlaw.  Then after releasing guys like Reed, Richardson and Norman, Skins can concentrate on getting top Tackle, Guard and TE in Free Agency.  I hope we can find away to get Young and Kinlaw, future NFL stars and you heard it from me.

If they draft Chase Young DL is literally the last need on this roster.  Trading yet more draft assets, which would no doubt include next year's first and then some, to trade up to draft Kinlaw would be a crazy move with so many other needs to fill.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rcjur1 said:

To begin to be a legit defense they must stay at #2 and take Young, and I have posted enough about that.  I just hope the Bengals don't figure that out.

I want them to keep Williams but he should have honored his contract, which he probably got all salty about when he was thinking how the training staff did him wrong when  contemplating his undiagnosed tumor.  Not to rehash it but it certainly made him feel undervalued in more ways then one.

I want to keep Kerrigan.  He is not a top five EDGE rusher but he is certainly in the top ten at the position. Being in the top 10 would earn him a salary of 16-17 M per year at the position, which is about 5 M more per year then he currently gets.   I say you keep him. He is a leader and still has more in the tank and with the exception of this year he has stayed healthy and has made 3 Pro Bowls, over the past four years.

Reed, Richardson and Norman should be released but I believe the only one that will actually be released will be Richardson.  If Norman takes a pay cut with an incentive latent, prove it deal don't be surprised to see him in the secondary even though I wish they would dump him.  With regards to Reed for his health's sake I hope he retires.  Can't see them retaining a guy who can't stay on the field year in and year out.  But who knows?  

Who are you thinking in FA at Tackle and Guard?  

34 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

We discuss the player's contract not because we feel the money is coming from our own pockets, the amount players make are constantly discussed because we all understand the salary cap and how one big contract can effect the team's ability to sign other players.   

Ehhhh, some do, some don't.

I enjoy hearing the discussions vis-a-vis cap #s and contracts, it can be convoluted and ultimately is about resource management to allow the team to progress and succeed, but not everyone seems to see it in that light. There is often a kneejerk "He's not worth it" that doesn't seem to consider those elements of cap or other's contracts.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I enjoy hearing the discussions vis-a-vis cap #s and contracts, it can be convoluted and ultimately is about resource management to allow the team to progress and succeed, but not everyone seems to see it in that light. There is often a kneejerk "He's not worth it" that doesn't seem to consider those elements of cap or other's contracts.

When the discussion is money, it's almost always in reference to the cap.  If there was no cap, then the discussion would be about if a player is worth what they got paid.  The cap era has made what every player makes or doesn't make relevant. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I don't know of any fan that would discuss player contracts without the salary cap being considered. 

Back to Chase I had a thought that was echoed by a caller on the radio. If they do get a big offer to trade back from Miami (nobody is willing to give up multiple first round picks for any position except QB) that means Chase Young falls to the Giants.  I normally do not think it's a good idea to worry about other teams when making a move but this is a unique situation and another reason why I don't want to trade back.   So that means the Giants probably get a big offer to trade back but still only drop to the 5th pick plus other high picks which will really help them.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't know of any fan that would discuss player contracts without the salary cap being considered. 

Back to Chase I had a thought that was echoed by a caller on the radio. If they do get a big offer to trade back from Miami (nobody is willing to give up multiple first round picks for any position except QB) that means Chase Young falls to the Giants.  I normally do not think it's a good idea to worry about other teams when making a move but this is a unique situation and another reason why I don't want to trade back.   So that means the Giants probably get a big offer to trade back but still only drop to the 5th pick plus other high picks which will really help them.  

Nah, if Chase Young is there at 3, Lions race up to the podium.  D-Line is their biggest need.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, mistertim said:

It's a good point. If you have a great front 4 that consistently gets pressure on the QB you can do way more with coverages. I think it's easier for a good DL to mask deficiencies in a deficient secondary than it is for a good secondary to mask a deficient DL that doesn't get pressure.

The only reason Giants fans are talking about Manning's Hall of Fame credentials is because Tuck, JPP, Osi Umenyiora, and Strahan harassing Brady endlessly. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rcjur1 said:

no, that is not a question at all.  We do not have the ammunition to trade back into the first.  While Trent and Ryan may be on the trading block, it is extremely unlikely any team would trade for two aging expensive recently injured vets at once

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've been a little concerned that the Giants might try to trade up to 1 to get him.  We're not taking a QB.  The Lions might not take a QB.  The Bengals might feel that at 4 they'll still have their choice of QBs.  Of course if Young is off the table and neither team behind them want a QB the the someone could start tossing offers at us and the Lions for a chance to grab one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

no, that is not a question at all.  We do not have the ammunition to trade back into the first.  While Trent and Ryan may be on the trading block, it is extremely unlikely any team would trade for two aging expensive recently injured vets at once

I've been a little concerned that the Giants might try to trade up to 1 to get him.  We're not taking a QB.  The Lions might not take a QB.  The Bengals might feel that at 4 they'll still have their choice of QBs.  Of course if Young is off the table and neither team behind them want a QB the the someone could start tossing offers at us and the Lions for a chance to grab one

No way the bengals trade number one away and potentially lose Burrow. 0% chance that happens, if they actually do that the Detroit will for sure take him 

17 minutes ago, max21 said:

No way the bengals trade number one away and potentially lose Burrow. 0% chance that happens, if they actually do that the Detroit will for sure take him 

If they do, we mortgage that pick for a bundle. We are in a great spot. If Chase is gone, we get a kings ransom. If he's there, we have a potential for an all-time D-Line.

• Like 1