Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will constitute success for you over next 5 seasons?

I think I've asked this question after we hired Shanny and Gruden, and being we are on the verge of hiring a new HC, I'll ask it again: what will constitute a successful next five seasons for this team. Quantify it any way you want....number of winning seasons, playoff appearances, whatever. Heck, let's assume for sale of argument that its Rivera. 

Watching the 49ers/Hawks game right now, it's clear we are SSSSSSOOOOOOOOO far away from being any where near as competent as either of those teams are.  It's like they play at a different speed than the Redskins play.

I would say that if in 5 years I can watch the Redskins and feel like I am watching one of these games, then it would be a success in my eyes.

But the way it has been the past 10+ years, it's like we expect to go 3 and out every drive because we just suck and moving the ball looks so hard.  

These teams make moving the ball look effortless.  And the drives that they do go 3 and out on, those look and feel like the outliers. 

But with the Redskins, it is the drives that are sustained and we DON'T go 3 and out that are the outliers.  The 3 and out drives feel normal for them

Once all that is changed, and I EXPECT us to win, then I will say it's a success.  Like when I watch the Caps, I expect them to win.  

• Like 1

All of the following:

- Significant reduction in injuries

- Seeing the roster get replenished with bonafide starting talent via the draft each year

- Significant reduction in penalties

- Significant improvement in 3rd down defense

- The establishing of a genuine franchise QB

- At least two playoff berths

- At least two playoff wins

- Much better record and production in year 5 than in year 1

(exception to the last point: if year 1 results in double-digit wins, then we would have to be as good or better in year 5 as in year 1)

• Like 2

BY the end of the 5th season, I would like to be able to watch a Skins game with the expectation that we can beat any opponent, or at least be on the same level as any opponent. I would like to see the franchise functioning like a professional franchise that has brought back a culture of class and success. I'd like to see the stadium filled with fans (Redskins fans, not the opponents' fans). I'd like to see all this happening because Dan has finally stopped meddling and brought in real football guys to run things. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

All of the following:

- Significant reduction in injuries

- Seeing the roster get replenished with bonafide starting talent via the draft each year

- Significant reduction in penalties

- Significant improvement in 3rd down defense

- The establishing of a genuine franchise QB

- At least two playoff berths

- At least two playoff wins

- Much better record and production in year 5 than in year 1

(exception to the last point: if year 1 results in double-digit wins, then we would have to be as good or better in year 5 as in year 1)

Image result for netflix nailed it meme

• Haha 1

I operate under the assumption that this franchise will never be consistently good. Snyder is the reason. Thus, I’ll take the gold standard of my Skins fandom: the ol’ Gibbs II...two random playoff berths. Maybe we get a break or two and win a game in January. I’m just hoping for occasional fun nowadays. That’s all we can ask for imo. 

Also, getting the stadium back is a big deal for me. Give fans a reason to show up and the embarrassing rival takeovers will stop. 

I just want to be a regular franchise. They won’t ever be good/great but at least you have fun every now and then. 

• Like 1

Not having to come up with a new 5 year plan within the next 3 years would be a nice start.

But like others have said, just to be competitive.  Going into playoff games with confidence.  I know the end goal is championships, but just being a contender would be serious progress for this franchise.

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I operate under the assumption that this franchise will never be consistently good. Snyder is the reason. Thus, I’ll take the gold standard of my Skins fandom: the ol’ Gibbs II...two random playoff berths. Maybe we get a break or two and win a game in January. I’m just hoping for occasional fun nowadays. That’s all we can ask for imo. 

Also, getting the stadium back is a big deal for me. Give fans a reason to show up and the embarrassing rival takeovers will stop. 

I just want to be a regular franchise. They won’t ever be good/great but at least you have fun every now and then. 

That's basically been what Rivera did in Carolina...….good year followed by mediocre year. Although his good seasons were markedly better than Gibbs 2's (I don't count the season where the Panthers won the division with a sub-.500 record as good).

As far as taking back the stadium, that might take the entire five years to accomplish. By that time hopefully ground would have been broken on a new stadium, and it would be nice to have at least a divisional round game at FedEx before we move out of there. But even though winning is the big thing, Snyder really should do something aggressive to entice fans back.  Are people on the fence really going to renew just because Bruce is gone from football ops?

The problem with a question like this in the context of the Redskins themselves is that we have 20+ years under Snyder now to show that expecting to do what successful franchises do is a loser's bet.  For reasons we don't need to run down right now in this thread, there have been various points during the last 20 years where the team has showed promise in small bursts, but they always regressed for, once again, reasons we don't need to go over now.

The bottomline is that in the modern day NFL, it doesn't take 5 years to become a playoff contender.  Maybe a Championship contender, but there are teams getting into the playoffs just about every season with a 9-7 or 10-6 record.  It should not take 5 seasons to put a 10 win team together. 

I am also of the opinion that you need transformational caliber players that elevate the units in order to get to the next level.  The 49ers defense was good in 2018, then they drafted Nick Bosa and look at the difference.   The 49ers passing offense was mediocre, then Kittle comes along and no one can ever seem to cover him, suddenly Jimmy G is putting up respectable stats in most games.

Yes, you need good players too to fill in the gaps on the team, but it is very hard to get to that next level unless you have at least 1-2 players on both sides of the ball that transcend and strike fear in the opponent.  

• Thanks 1

An NFC Championship Game appearance. Something this franchise hasn’t been in since the 91-92 season.

I started watching in 1996 so the closest I’ve seen is the divisional.

I want a Super Bowl win more than anything but that will probably happen a year after I’m dead lol.

Edited by AldersonRedskinFan
  • Like 1

Five seasons?

Super Bowl. Seriously. 

Season 1: I want us to be respectable, carve out an identity, and be a tough out. somewhere between 6-9 wins.

Season 2: I want us to be contend for the playoffs and be a team other teams take notice of. Somewhere between 7- 10 wins.

Season 3: I want us to be a challenger. Solid playoff team that can go far. 8-16 wins.

Season 4: I want us to be one of the top teams mentioned. 9-16 wins.

Season 5. I want us to be one of the top teams. 9-16 wins.

It doesn't take five years to turn a franchise around. We've seen that with the Rams, the Eagles, and a whole bunch of other teams. Good coaching plus a good draft, and smart use of free agency can get you there fast. We've already had at least one very good/great draft class that could be a core to a successful team. The 2017 draft yielded some strong pieces as well. In the era of free agency, you don't root for slow and steady.

You need to see results.