Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Any clue on how much we are paying Ron?

Carolina gave MAtt Rhule $62 million over 7 years and with incentives could go as high as $70 million.

And in addition to that, they had to pay Baylor a $6M buyout to get him. Hell of an investment, but even compared to Snyder, Tepper has next level "**** you" money and didn't want this guy going to the Giants (that didn't stop Rhule from giving the Giants a chance to match, which they declined because that's a lot of money). Coincidentally the Giants signed their absolute definite no question #1 option, who had no other HC position interest, immediately after!! Huh weird!

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So whats the rule for a New Coach to assemble the team to address and/or practice. I know there is one but is it an early mini camp? How much extra time do they get? They have all their coaches in..will this give us an idea on Trent?

Don't we get an extra minicamp or something with a new coach?

I like Rivera.  One of the criticisms though I've herd about him is clock management.  If I recall he was labeled the worst clock manager in football by one outfit one year.  A Carolina reporter was just on talking about it.  They used Sam Mills last year to take over that part.  So its good to hear they are bringing him on board here.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

After seeing what all of the other teams did at HC I have to say I am more than pleased with how Dan handled the new coaching search and with the guy he got. I'm also somewhat impressed that he met with Ron for all of those hours, gave Ron the opportunity to speak to Gibbs and others, and then had the patience to wait on the hire until the season was over. Of all of the hires teams made, I believe we got the guy best suited for our overall situation. Rivera is a veteran coach who can handle whatever is thrown at him and I think he'll produce results on the field. I will give a rare "well done" to Dan on this hire. AND, he did the right thing by getting help from the outside rather than trusting his own bad instincts or Bruce's. 

Welcome Coach Ron Rivera, we're all counting on you.

• Like 6

I listened just now to a reporter who covered Rivera in Carolina, Nick Wilson, who was more detailed than the standard beat reporter.  His take:

A. He is a good guy.  If you want to change a culture he's perfect.  He's a real adult.

B.  Super honest, tells it as it is.  Can sometimes be boring on that front.

C.  Tepper is a big analytics guy and he didn't like that Rivera wasn't

D.  Active in the community.

E.  He's loyal as heck for better or worse.  He likes his guys and that also translates to veteran players who he thinks he stuck with longer than he should

F.  He likes Scott Turner but thought it was a mistake to bring him to replace O'Connell 

G. A complaint some had about him is that when things went south in some seasons he didn't do anything drastic to try to turn it back the other way

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I've waited a bit to digest this hire because I expected something different that said, Cam Newton is the only thing I've really noticed about Carolina.  Carolina rose as Newton did and declined as Newton declined but for the most part I wasn't paying attention so I don't know if Rivera is a good coach or not.   One thing I am concerned about is the order of acquisition with the franchise QB coming first, the HC second and the GM to follow.

I would've preferred Snyder to assemble a committee of NFL wise men to help Snyder hire a talented and fully empowered GM and then have GM hire the head coach.  It seems to me that since he already drafted the franchise QB and now selected the new HC that the new GM will be something of a Snyder figuredhead regardless of what Snyder tells him.  

Twenty years of Snyder makes me doubt every thing they do and this out of sequence hiring seems like another mistake.  For all I know Rivera is a good coach but Snyder hired him and even more damning he was willing to work for Snyder and a GM TBD, not a hopeful sign.  Tell it to me plain, am I being overly critical and pessimistic because I'm feeling more WTF than happy.  To me you're more likely to get happy to have a job guys when things are done out of sequence.

• Like 1
On 1/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, Veryoldschool said:

I've waited a bit to digest this hire because I expected something different that said, Cam Newton is the only thing I've really noticed about Carolina.  Carolina rose as Newton did and declined as Newton declined but for the most part I wasn't paying attention so I don't know if Rivera is a good coach or not.   One thing I am concerned about is the order of acquisition with the franchise QB coming first, the HC second and the GM to follow.

I would've preferred Snyder to assemble a committee of NFL wise men to help Snyder hire a talented and fully empowered GM and then have GM hire the head coach.  It seems to me that since he already drafted the franchise QB and now selected the new HC that the new GM will be something of a Snyder figuredhead regardless of what Snyder tells him.  

Twenty years of Snyder makes me doubt every thing they do and this out of sequence hiring seems like another mistake.  For all I know Rivera is a good coach but Snyder hired him and even more damning he was willing to work for Snyder and a GM TBD, not a hopeful sign.  Tell it to me plain, am I being overly critical and pessimistic because I'm feeling more WTF than happy.  To me you're more likely to get happy to have a job guys when things are done out of sequence.

Snyder is never going to change his ways. He's always going to do things have ass backwords.

Hopefully, Rivera gives us the best of his era in Carolina and not his 1st 2 years or last 2 years.

Hopefully, the new GM type we get after the draft is able to give Rivera the players we need to return to glory.

Hopefully, Snyder doesn't do anymore interfering. 

The Skins success depends on the QB.  Will Haskins step up and be the franchise QB or will he buckle and Rivera will have to look elsewhere?

I am cautiously optimistic and excited about what we can do.

I think Philly is going to be in a state of transition; especially if it looks like Carson Wentz isn't what they thought he was.

Dallas will probably be contending for the Superbowl soon. If Mike is going to take them to the Superbowl it will be early in his tenture.

We will have to see about the Giants.  Will Judge be the third straight Giants flop or will be he be the new Reid or John Harbaugh?

If we can get the QB play. I think we can compete in this division.

This is Snyder's last chance.  IF Rivera fails because of Snyder interference; then Dan will lose more fans and they will hardly be anyone left.

Edited by Rdskns2000
On 1/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, Veryoldschool said:

and even more damning he was willing to work for Snyder and a GM TBD, not a hopeful sign.

You've got it twisted around, maybe you've already caught up because this post was yesterday but for better or worse, the new GM TBD we hire eventually will work for Rivera. Not the other way around. You can tell Rivera really has all the power with the way he's firing Snyder's 17-year ****roaches that have survived every previous regime change, and reorganizing the FO around himself. 

We just have to hope Rivera hires an excellent collaborator that he trusts, with a good eye for talent as his GM and they really go at it as a team...because Rivera's got more power than anyone else we've seen here including Gibbs II, it seems. Again, for better or worse. 

It's quite impossible to know what we have with rivera and absolute power because he didn't have that in Carolina. 

Maybe he's a bad coach who was kept afloat by great minds and maybe he's the next belichick and was being held back by clowns, or more likely its somewhere in between.

I am definitely more excited about next season than I have been in several years, certainly more than I was under any Gruden years.

We begged for drastic change and we finally got it, at least there's hope if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You've got it twisted around, maybe you've already caught up because this post was yesterday but for better or worse, the new GM TBD we hire eventually will work for Rivera. Not the other way around. You can tell Rivera really has all the power with the way he's firing Snyder's 17-year ****roaches that have survived every previous regime change, and reorganizing the FO around himself. 

We just have to hope Rivera hires an excellent collaborator that he trusts, with a good eye for talent as his GM and they really go at it as a team...because Rivera's got more power than anyone else we've seen here including Gibbs II, it seems. Again, for better or worse. 

I hope that is true and Rivera is really going to have the power as Marty did 20 years ago, we'll see.  

• Like 1

Super interview with Mike Silver on Kevin's show.  It gives you a lot of insight in to who Ron is and things going on after his firing.  In summary, Silver flew in and met RR at his house but there was a party going on so they didn't get to talk until late and Silver wasn't focused in discussing a team specifically but knew RR had opportunity in any of the suspected job openings - back door communications had him much sought after by all that would have openings.  There were a few things in his decision but one that stood out to me was he really, really liked the Skins roster.  The interview comes in around the 12:30 mark.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thanks 2

So Ron is in and he's assembling his team. At this time I think there are pros and cons of the hiring: 

Pros:

• He's a football guy that has earned league respect - this is different than we have become accustom too. 
  • It seems he has authority for coaching hires, so it might map over to the player side. To build off of a Bill Parcells quote, Ron is the chef, so he should be allowed to buy the groceries. 
  • He has a defensive background
  • There's a lot of change - Self explainatory
  • Bruce is gone - This may have been a condition of the Ron hire. Still waiting to see who gets that role, but at this time it's a large addition by subtraction. 

Cons: 

HC Record - of the 9 seasons he's been a head coach he's only been above .500 3 times. Not great. That's with a QB that was the league MVP one year. 

Dan's still here - We've had football people come in here before and Dan has a hard time staying out of their way. 

His great 15-1 season - They were awesome in that season, but he wasn't able to recreate it. That was the only season they won a playoff game. 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Anyone interested in posting summaries of other juicy parts of that Silver interview, it would be much appreciated

I'll give it a shot now that I have time - It's actually after the 21:00 mark

• Silver wrote a profile via interview that will air in 2 weeks
  • Skins are getting a straight shooter and extremely driven
  • He has a philosophy, culture, way of living that he lives by and will bring that to the org
  • More than a gesture by Snyder to fire BA, it was a statement
  • Owners don't have to be invisible and few are, they are all involved
  • Feels Snyder is aggressively trying to win but doesn't know how
  • Dan had the advantage by getting a head start on other teams
  • Silver believes he would of been the Cowboys or Giants coach if not hired by Skins and RR knew he had other options
  • Ron has great respect for people who shape the game, like Gibbs did
  • Silver said the only conversation he had about Skins specifically was that RR really like the roster and that was casually at the party
  • Silver said he could connect dots to Skins but didn't specifically talk about them.  It made sense to him and felt like it was going to happen
  • Roster was only a part of the decision, he knew he was wanted by Skins and probably liked the big picture with Skins
  • Silver doesn't think RR would have requested BA be fired
  • RR had options and embraced the opp to coach the Skins, it wasn't a fake sell job on either side
  • RR seems real excited about it all
  • Silver doesn't think meddling is the right word for Snyder, he thinks owner involvement isn't as sinister as people think it is
  • RR is not subtle and would have expressed everything he wanted to do with Snyder
  • Silver told a funny story about Marty Schot and how he wanted to be fired - did not want to stay
  • Silver thinks Skins got it right and will get things going with RR but there will be peaks and valley's
  • RR will be strong and consistent through those peaks and valley's

•  

•  
Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
10 hours ago, redskinss said:

It's quite impossible to know what we have with rivera and absolute power because he didn't have that in Carolina. 

Maybe he's a bad coach who was kept afloat by great minds and maybe he's the next belichick and was being held back by clowns, or more likely its somewhere in between.

I am definitely more excited about next season than I have been in several years, certainly more than I was under any Gruden years.

We begged for drastic change and we finally got it, at least there's hope if nothing else.

Maybe I can make everyone feel just a little bit more confident in the RR hire; Joe Gibbs endorsed it. And on top of that, supposedly Dan didn't make this hire based on his own terrible instincts. 

Rivera is gonna right this ship, in fact, he almost can't miss. The fact that Bruce is gone and that Ron is now the voice of power is already improvement. 

RR seems pumped about this job after talking to Coach Joe, I think he's an excellent hire and brings instant credibility to a downtrodden organization. People aren't laughing at my Redskins gear anymore and I'm wearing it with much more hope and optimism.

• Like 5

The main worry I have for Ron deals with some of the ridgidity I have heard about, his lack of in-game adjustments, and lack of creativity. That’s why I was disappointed he didn’t mesh well with KOC. Hopefully he’s learned some lessons on these fronts or these concerns are over blown, but we’ll see. 

I’m still optimistic about things, but not blindly so. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Unbias said:

So Ron is in and he's assembling his team. At this time I think there are pros and cons of the hiring: 

Pros:

• He's a football guy that has earned league respect - this is different than we have become accustom too. 
  • It seems he has authority for coaching hires, so it might map over to the player side. To build off of a Bill Parcells quote, Ron is the chef, so he should be allowed to buy the groceries. 
  • He has a defensive background
  • There's a lot of change - Self explainatory
  • Bruce is gone - This may have been a condition of the Ron hire. Still waiting to see who gets that role, but at this time it's a large addition by subtraction. 

Cons: 

HC Record - of the 9 seasons he's been a head coach he's only been above .500 3 times. Not great. That's with a QB that was the league MVP one year. 

Dan's still here - We've had football people come in here before and Dan has a hard time staying out of their way. 

His great 15-1 season - They were awesome in that season, but he wasn't able to recreate it. That was the only season they won a playoff game. 

I agree but if you're going to list having an MVP QB, you also have to list the years without his MVP QB.

He inherited a bad team. Take out years 1 and 2 for rebuilding the roster/culture. I would also think to take out years 8 and 9. Years without his MVP QB due to injury and his firing.

So that's really 3 years out of 5 over .500, a 15-1 season and trip to Superbowl. Sign me up for that anyday!

10 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This was fascinating to say the least.

For those without an Athletic subscription, I’m going to post what seems like a lot, but it isn’t. There’s a lot more good stuff in there especially the comments and the details they give regarding who was surveyed (not just the breakdown I’m going to post), but I won’t post that all because I don’t want to hurt their business. Honestly, I never really believed in subscribing to these media outlets, but I feel like I am getting my money’s worth with them, I definitely recommend it...

Anyway, the results of the survey were this (they tallied it in the end by giving each ranking, starting with first place getting 4 points, then 3 points, and so on):

1) McCarthy (86 total)

2) Rivera (84 total) 

3) Rhule (59 total)

4) Judge (42 total)

This is how it broke down in terms of who they surveyed, and they listed each one’s rankings individually along with a comment or two in many instances:

We received responses from 32 individuals. The breakdown:

Players (7)

General manager/FO (7)

Scouts (3)

Coaches (1)

Agents (10)

Analysts (4)

From that group, 27 ranked the four coaching hires while the others went commentary only. We tallied the results.

I was honestly surprised by the tally in the end because Rivera was almost always ranked first or second with each individual. But then I wasn’t paying too close attention to McCarthy reading through it, I was mostly just looking for Rivera. You could see how close it was in the final tally, with Rhule and Judge distant second and thirds from McCarthy and Rivera. 

But it’s definitely a positive overall, especially considering Rivera got knocked just because of Dan (some of the comments said as much). Vast majority were high on the hire. 

I did my own breakdown to see how they fared within each group.

The players had it like this:

1) McCarthy (23 points)

2) Rivera (22 points)

3) Judge (13 points)

4) Rhule (12 points) 

Front Office execs:

1) Rivera and McCarthy tied (18 points)

3) Rhule (16 points) 

4) Judge (8 points)

Only One Coach:

1) McCarthy

2) Rhule

3) Rivera

4) Judge

The Analysts mostly just commented and didn’t do any rankings except one, Ross Tucker:

1) Rhule

2) Rivera

3) McCarthy

4) Judge

The Agents:

1) Rivera and McCarthy tied (32 points)

3) Rhule (22 points) 

4) Judge (16 points)

Finally, the Scouts

1) Rivera and McCarthy tied (7 points) 

3) Rhule (4 points)

4) Judge (2 points)

Ultimately this means nothing, I know, but it can’t hurt for now. If you take anything away from it at all, it’s that we definitely have improved our image around the league pretty much instantly, which should help in trade talks, Free Agency, contract negotiations, etc... 

But then we didn’t really need a survey to tell us that, lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Honestly, I never really believed in subscribing to these media outlets, but I feel like I am getting my money’s worth with them, I definitely recommend it...

Yeah man. Speaking as someone who works in the investment industry, this is one of the best investments I’ve ever made, 😁.  The wealth of knowledge collected on that site is fantastic. 

It’s clear to see how well-liked Rivera is. I don’t recall reading one bad word about him. As you said, the naysayers in the article mostly questioned Dan and this organization’s recent history more than anything - which is definitely fair. What excited me more than anything were the comments from the agents and players. Maybe we’ll finally be able to attract marquee free agents without handing out Josh Norman and Landon Collins-level overpays. Then again, probably not. Though I have much more hope than I did before. 

• Like 1
  • Jumbo locked, unlocked and locked this topic