Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kyle Smith >>> Scott Campbell & Vinny Cerrato.  To me that's the gist of why I think its better.  I also get the impression (but will see) that Gibbs liked to dabble more as the defacto GM whereas I don't think Rivera will.   But will see.

Yup.

I would also add that this is the first true organizational reset we’ve ever had under Dan. We’ve never seen anything like it. Even when Gibbs came and was given total control, the FO was largely kept in tact and the only major change came in the way of the coaching staff. 

This is much, much different. 

Not only have we seen the removal of entrenched, long-tenured members like Hess and Schaefer, but the few who have remained were interviewed again (so nothing was guaranteed), most of whom were given new, better fitting, titles/roles than previously (Doug, Kyle). 

This isn’t Dan’s organization with just a new HC hire and some new coaches he brings along, pulling the wool over our eyes as if that change is all that was needed and only the previous coaches were to blame. It’s Ron’s and they’re all in it together from top to bottom. No factions/divisions, no competing agendas, and Dan will have to work much harder to create them. There should be a level of cohesion like we haven’t seen before. 

Still, it would be perfect structurally if a GM/EVP is named and given final say over the roster (at least the 90, FA and draft) like Ron originally stated, while being his equal in the hierarchy. We can point to Ron’s words about not wanting total control on that side of things, but if he doesn’t accept that set up we have to question his talk regarding the matter. But if that happens, we’d really be rolling then and there’d be no concern outside of Dan messing things up (which remains no matter what). 

I’m holding out hope that’s what happens. That Standig article in the Athletic (I think you posted a pic of a portion of it in the FO thread) had some interesting tidbits in it that I think even he didn’t realize their implications. In it, he mentioned that teams with guys in lower level positions wouldn’t allow you to interview them for GM if you weren’t going to give them some level of control over the roster. That the title itself wouldn’t be enough and it’d be considered a lateral move, even if they weren’t GM before. 

To me, that means giving Kyle the title we did leaves it open for him to get it and/or keeps the pool of candidates as wide as possible, as well. We’d have everyone under contract in an assistant GM position as well as those not under contract able to be interviewed after the draft. We can go through as exhaustive a process as possible so long as that control is given and not kept by Ron.

It’s a golden opportunity, really. I hope that’s what the plan actually is and it's not what Standig read into it. 

I haven't caught up, but I read an article the other day (can't find the link) that said Lynch and Shanahan basically act as each other's check and balance. Meaning before either of them makes a decision, they check with the other. And in the event of a stalemate they go to a third party... But they don't get there much because they're on the same page or are able to see the other's side and they come to agreements.

I like that set up quite a bit. 

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

I haven't caught up, but I read an article the other day (can't find the link) that said Lynch and Shanahan basically act as each other's check and balance. Meaning before either of them makes a decision, they check with the other. And in the event of a stalemate they go to a third party... But they don't get there much because they're on the same page or are able to see the other's side and they come to agreements.

I like that set up quite a bit. 

Yup. I linked to it in the FO thread and highlighted that portion of it. Also mentioned it here. It’s written in their contract that any move they make is subject to the approval of the other.

Not sure how a stalemate occurs in that scenario, lol, I didn’t see that mentioned so maybe you read it somewhere else. What interests me is exactly what they mean by “move”. Does it mean Lynch has a say in the coaching staff just like Kyle has one on player personnel? We know Lynch said he has final say over the 90, FA and draft, so I’d assume that’s what it means and it works both ways.

Which is interesting to say the least. So Lynch makes the decisions regarding player personnel while Kyle does regarding the coaching staff, but  there’s a “check” by each one to make sure there’s no major disagreement on any of it. I wonder if they ever had to use it. But what a good way to make sure no one goes rogue and they remain tied to the hip. 

It is a good set up and would be great if we ended up with the same thing. :) 

18 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Which is interesting to say the least. So Lynch makes the decisions regarding player personnel while Kyle does regarding the coaching staff, but  there’s a “check” by each one to make sure there’s no major disagreement on any of it. I wonder if they ever had to use it. But what a good way to make sure no one goes rogue and they remain tied to the hip.  :) 

The more I've seen of Kyle's head coaching style over the last couple of years, the more I respect the hell out of it and the more annoyed I am that someone like that was right there for us to groom. I'm not gonna "crown his ass" at this point as the next hoodie-wearing genius, but he just seems to understand ALL aspects of how a successful organization should be run. It's more than just the technical X's and O's knowledge. I'd encourage anyone to watch his presser when they let Rueben Foster go, for example. That was the first time I really began to think that this guy understood a lot more than just scheme. 

I'm hoping Ron makes good on his supposed promise here, but I can't help but feel like he fits the template of what we've already gone through before: someone who did well elsewhere and comes here and underperforms. I'd much rather be in the position the Niners are in right now. Seemingly great structure, solid people in charge, smart young coach on his way up ... we'll see. 

10 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

The more I've seen of Kyle's head coaching style over the last couple of years, the more I respect the hell out of it and the more annoyed I am that someone like that was right there for us to groom. I'm not gonna "crown his ass" at this point as the next hoodie-wearing genius, but he just seems to understand ALL aspects of how a successful organization should be run. It's more than just the technical X's and O's knowledge. I'd encourage anyone to watch his presser when they let Rueben Foster go, for example. That was the first time I really began to think that this guy understood a lot more than just scheme. 

He seems to be a pretty legit head coach. Remember the leaks to the media that Kyle was a spoiled brat?

1 hour ago, mcgraw238 said:

He seems to be a pretty legit head coach. Remember the leaks to the media that Kyle was a spoiled brat?

Well, he was here lol He grew up a lot by all reports. 

With that said, I loved his aggressive style of play calling here. His dad was garbage.  

On 1/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, Dissident2 said:

I'm hoping Ron makes good on his supposed promise here, but I can't help but feel like he fits the template of what we've already gone through before: someone who did well elsewhere and comes here and underperforms. I'd much rather be in the position the Niners are in right now. Seemingly great structure, solid people in charge, smart young coach on his way up ... we'll see. 

The big difference is that this is the first time Danny boy has actually cleaned house and went after a coach who seems to be in lockstep with the presumptive gm (or not if someone really good comes along)

We've seen new coaches, same FO, we've seen some FO changes but most stay in place. This is the first top to bottom house cleaning we've seen in 20+ years, and it's about as fresh a start as you can hope to see. Maybe these last few years really opened Dan's eyes to the fact that this org is dying and quick flashy fixes aren't going to keep fans on the hook anymore.

I hate to say it, but I applaud him for actually cleaning house and hiring a stable, respected HC to right the ship and build the foundation the right way, from the FO to the coaching staff. Rivera brings instant credibility to the team and FO (with the restructures). He didn't go to the well and do the "look at the shiny keys jingling" with one hand while clubbing us with the other.

Hopefully the stadium experience is improved and things change there as well as the other stuff we're seeing.

Time will tell but I'm optimistic about the direction this team is headed for the first time in since Gibbs 2 left.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, mcgraw238 said:

Remember the leaks to the media that Kyle was a spoiled brat?

It was also put out there that all he did was hire buddies that didn't belong in the league, yet several years later many of those guys have moved on to bigger and better jobs.  I think it's only natural that there will be rumblings when you are the OC for your father- the head coach, there will be rumblings that you're a spoiled, entitled brat.  It's like that in every industry and a lot of times it's accurate, the difference for Kyle is that he really does, eat, sleep, and breathe football 24/7 and wasn't just some heir that got a job based on who his dad was.

• Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked this topic

Archived