Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't think Rivera is the sexy hire at all. The young OC type or college guy like Rhule, Riley, or Day or something would be the attempt at a sexy big name hire imo. Rivera isn't what I expected for that reason. Especially if paired with promotions to our existing FO guys. That's the opposite of sexy imo. 

4E89D088-4241-4B76-A797-A4C0F603CB1F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I really don't get Urban Meyer as a GM. Sounds like too much of an experiment. I'm not even sure I really liked the idea of him as a HC after the Spurrier years. He'd probably retire in a year or two anyway. 

I can get behind Riverboat Ron. Certainly would be happier with him than Marvin. Hoping we hang onto KOC and promote some of our guys to the GM and various other FO roles. 

13 minutes ago, PigskinPhat said:

Really, Rivera could do nothing with Newton, what’s he gonna do with Haskins?

Newton is a strange bird man. I dont think he takes to well to criticism. He is a Diva.  And if that is the case Rivera isnt a great fit for him. By all accounts Haskins is working hard. We'll see how it works out.

8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So the guy they’re likely naming the GM already knowing who he will want, and knowing he’s the guy he’ll hire, is the wrong way to do things? Isn’t that what people want....? 

Who is going to be the GM??  And why was he not named before hand and to at least give the outward appearance from a media standpoint that he was hiring the coach himself?  OH!  I know why,....because DAN IS DONIG THE HIRING!  

All the reports were that Dan had an "indepentent" group of "football people" advising him.  If Dan is, at some point, promoting someone within then why would I believe that that person (Kyle Smith???) was the one that picked Rivera?  

Bruce may be gone as a football decision maker,..but,..nothing much has changed .

I don't buy that we hired Rivera already.

If true why the hell didn't our GM have a hand in the decision..... maybe he did. Heck we let Manusky sit on interviews to replace himself, and surprising no one liked none, and was somehow able to retain his job. Lets hope that is not the case this year.

13 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Rivera is not a bad choice, but this is classic Snyder trying to make the sexy, big name hire instead of going after a an up and coming young guy (Bieniemy)  IMO, he's tying to win the offseason and then we get what we normally do in the regular season

Not sure any retread can be considered "sexy". Big name? Sort of. But its a serious stretch to call this a "splash" move, for which Snyder is often accused of (many times erroneously). Is anyone really excited about this? Optimistic? Maybe. But in a sport where everyone wants the "next McVay", this is going 180 degrees the other way.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

I don't buy that we hired Rivera already.

If true why the hell didn't our GM have a hand in the decision..... maybe he did. Heck we let Manusky sit on interviews to replace himself, and surprising no one like none and was somehow able to retain his job. Lets hope that is not the case this year.

I’m going to keep saying this, the GM does not need to pick the coach.  If you want a coach to pick the GM., that’s fine.  

Presumably Eric Schaffer gets promoted to EVP or something over football ops, and he’s in on the hire.  

Ron will evaluate the Scouting department and then they’ll name a GM with roster control after the draft. 

The GM and the coach need to be a team.  One compliments the other.  There’s no reason to have the coach work for the GM.  At least not anymore.  Nor, in my opinion should the GM work for the coach.  They should be equal in authority.  With a higher up exec there to be a tiebreaker if necessary.  But the two should be working 100% together.  

Just now, boston skins fan said:

if it is rivera who would he bring in as DC?

Good question.  I haven’t heard any speculation about that yet. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m going to keep saying this, the GM does not need to pick the coach.  If you want a coach to pick the GM., that’s fine.  

Presumably Eric Schaffer gets promoted to EVP or something over football ops, and he’s in on the hire.  

Ron will evaluate the Scouting department and then they’ll name a GM with roster control after the draft. 

The GM and the coach need to be a team.  One compliments the other.  There’s no reason to have the coach work for the GM.  At least not anymore.  Nor, in my opinion should the GM work for the coach.  They should be equal in authority.  With a higher up exec there to be a tiebreaker if necessary.  But the two should be working 100% together.  

Really because basically every team that gets to the playoffs including this year had a coach hired by the GM except NE who let Belichick have full control.  GM controls the daily operations and takes the heat for the staff and player personnel so yes he should be the one making the decision or atleast have a major say.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Good question.  I haven’t heard any speculation about that yet. 

This sounds like something I'd post and I am a fan. Well said, good sir. A voice of... reason.

2 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Really because basically every team that gets to the playoffs including this year had a coach hired by the GM except NE who let Belichick have full control.  GM controls the daily operations and takes the heat for the staff and player personnel so yes he should be the one making the decision or atleast have a major say.

Incorrect. Buffalo had a HC before a GM. 

And, technically, Lynch was hired before Shanahan in SF, but Shanahan was basically the HC while coaching Atlanta's offense and Lynch was brought in after.

Archived