Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote pics, gifs, vids, or any large sections of text.
It unnecessarily extends and clutters threads and is annoying. Edit them out. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post,you can simply highlight text, click the popup that floats over it, and it just quotes that text.  When on mobile, if you quote a post with an image in it, simply tap the image in the quote box to highlight it & hit backspace on your keyboard to delete it.

Totally respect Brewer. Thx for sharing. 

24 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Depends on health, so if he's cut, more reason to trade expensive vets for draft picks.  Also resets windows for that position.

I am too lazy to look but I think the cap hit for cutting him this year is prohibitive, something like $20+M. That's why I say he is going to be the back-up and there is nothing him or the team can do about it.

4 minutes ago, Doctorfro said:

Now if this airhead Haskins can somehow turn into a starter, we good

Give the kid some time. He hasn't even played a full season. The thing I like about him is that he keeps his eyes downfield when he scrambles. That's what successful QB's do.

9 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

I am too lazy to look but I think the cap hit for cutting him this year is prohibitive, something like $20+M. That's why I say he is going to be the back-up and there is nothing him or the team can do about it.

Hopefully, he’s fully healthy and shines in the preseason and a desperate team will trade us for him.

Stranger things have happened- like when Sam Bradford was traded for a 1st and a 4th from the Eagles to the Vikings. 

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

So, I figured we got rivera and we'll probably get a jag defensive coordinator but that didn't matter much because rivera is an excellent defensive coach.

Now that it looks like a distinct possibility that we may get one of the best defensive coordinators in the league it makes me wonder, is there anybody out there that we could realistically get that's a better offensive coordinator than oconell?

Thoughts?

I can't think of anyone off hand I'd rather take a shot on.  O'Connell has shown promise and I really liked how the offense looked the last few games admid reports of his role expanding.  And with two alpha leaders on board to command the room, I think he's a GREAT fit to the staff.  He can be the bright young offensive mind and keep a laser focus on play design and getting the best out of his players, while the team can still take on the personality of Rivera (echoed by Del Rio).

Seems like the perfect way to grow and add to your resume in a damn tough league.  He should be psyched for the opportunity.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What it sounds like is that Schaffer is being given an opportunity. Clearly Rivera is the man in charge, but he seems to want to work with people he can work with. So with the contract ending in April or May, I wonder if there is a chance that he and Ron mesh well together and he stays? 

I also wonder what this means for Doug. I know he and Kyle were together in San Diego, if that means anything. But I'd be interested in seeing if this changes. 

What i found interesting is Schaffer's reply to Doc Walker, not I'm staying but I'm under contract. And now the reports are not that he's fired or his contract isn't being renewed, but it expires. So I think there's a chance he stays. 

But on the positive, this addresses something that Gruden spoke about last January - the Front Office and coaching staff not being on the same page. 

36 minutes ago, emoore0222 said:

"Local revenue, which consists of ticket sales, concessions, and corporate sponsors, is earned by the teams themselves. In 2018, the Packers earned $196 million in local revenue, 43% of their total revenue that year, which was $455 million."

According to information I found with a quick Google search, it looks like you may be mistaken.  It looks like we are a large source of his revenue.  

That's great........for the Packers.  Which happen to be the only team with a non-profit status, which is why they are the only team's financial breakdown you will actually see.  They also are a great franchise that has a lot more local support than we do or have in a while. 

I'm not saying that a large chunk of the overall revenue isn't from local revenue.  I'd assume it is, though with how attendance has been way down and how ****ty the product on the field has been, I speculate that it's a lot lower than 43%.  But there is no way for either of us to know for sure.

I'd also imagine that the majority of local revenue would be generated by corporate sponsors than ticket sales and concessions.  What is the actual percentage breakdown for each category?  I don't know, tried to find it, but could only find final numbers.  But keep in mind that the local revenue extends into the playoffs and includes the following for the Packers:

Local revenue includes game-day revenue, local broadcast fees, sponsorships and Lambeau Field Atrium-business income. The latter includes the Packers Pro Shop, Packers Hall of Fame, stadium tours, 1919 Kitchen & Tap and atrium rentals for such things as conventions, meetings and weddings.

There are events at FedEx, but I'd imagine it doesn't bring in the revenue that Lambeau does.  And we all know that the Packers make the playoffs consistently which extends local revenue.  

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What it sounds like is that Schaffer is being given an opportunity. Clearly Rivera is the man in charge, but he seems to want to work with people he can work with. So with the contract ending in April or May, I wonder if there is a chance that he and Ron mesh well together and he stays? 

That's how I read it. Ron evaluating the organization top to bottom....good

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What kind of relationship did Rivera have with his GM's in Carolina ?

Was there friction or harmony ?

Also, what was the "power distribution" like, between them ?

Both Gettleman (puke) and the current GM were immediately whispered about coming here, so that would seem to indicate he had good working relationships.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

First off, Florio is a complete DBag.  

Second, flip-flopping around FO positions after FA and after the draft is common.  Schaffer is in the front office.

Maybe Schaffer thought he was out, then found out he would be given an opportunity to get to know Rivera, and if all goes well, he might stick around longer.  To me, that's likely what happened.

The other option is Dan told him they were going to make a change and invited him to stay through the draft.  If Eric didn't want to do that, he could resign.  I don't know how much Eric has made, but I am willing to bet he's made plenty of money, and if he didn't like his situation, he could leave it and find another job, and wouldn't have to go to a soup kitchen in the mean time.  

The third option is Dan told him nothing, except we're not firing you, so you keep your job.  Which quickly turns into #1, you stick around and if Ron likes you, you will be invited to stay.

Either option is possible.  Florio saying "they're going to work him" or whatever the quote was is low-rent stupidity.  But we know that Florio couldn't give up his punching bag too easily.  

Though I have heard Eric talk, and he has openly said he wants the GM position.  The other option is he knows he's not getting it, and is somewhat bitter about it.  And told people he was leaving because he felt he was getting passed over and then was convinced, either by Dan or Ron, or both, to stick around.  

All of these things are possible.  "Making Eric work" is not actually possible.  

I hate Florio.  I've trashed the team plenty.  But he seems to get an erection and hard nipples out of doing it.   

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Dude, this is where the Wilks mishap started.  He is not a candidate but Jack Del Rio is the target for the Redskins DC.

FWIW - NFL live today who usually has Del Rio on their panel had to scramble and put in some scrub on their show.  They were like hmmm, you may be wondering where Jack is today and he's on his way to his new job or something like that.  🙂

27 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Both Gettleman (puke) and the current GM were immediately whispered about coming here, so that would seem to indicate he had good working relationships.

I also heard the bills player personal guy is somebody we are interested in. Worked in Seattle before that. 

Ron is clearly well regarded by his players:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article238822988.html

>>Panthers players were clearing out their lockers Monday in preparation for the offseason. Upon hearing the news of Rivera’s imminent hiring by Washington, they were lavish in their praise of their former coach.

Panthers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said he would tell Washington players that “one of the best things that ever happened to your career is about to happen. He (Rivera) is one of the greatest men I’ve ever been around, one of the greatest coaches I’ve ever been around ... he’s going to turn that place around. Guaranteed.”<<

Archived