Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Maybe I'm underestimating his value, but how long would it take an intelligent man to become a cap guru if it were his full-time job?  Seriously, I feel there are many people that could come in and become a cap guru in a relatively short period of time if that's all their focus was on.

KB, we wait and see but Schaffer was mentioned many times as being shrewd when it came to doing contracts.  He will be missed.  Hopefully, we get a good guy. 

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Maybe I'm underestimating his value, but how long would it take an intelligent man to become a cap guru if it were his full-time job?  Seriously, I feel there are many people that could come in and become a cap guru in a relatively short period of time if that's all their focus was on.

I liked shcaeffer but honestly just have to go to a corporate law firm and pick up a mid level associate.  My cousin is a corporate lawyer and we talk about cap of all sports and he constantly tells me that any mid level law associate could do it.  Its a lot less intricate then going through the books of corp 500 companies preparing for a merger.

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Doug is one of my all-time favs.  I wrote him a letter at 7 years old after SB 22 and he sent me back an autographed photo and hand-written letter that I still have framed.  Unfortunately he was just an errand boy for Bruce and needs to go.

In fact, no more ex-Redskins at all please.

That's really cool.  I was 6 during SB 22, one of my earliest skins memories.  Remember him going down clutching his knee, being in that 10-0 hole, then coming out guns blazing.  I was running all over my house.  Was exhausted by halftime.

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

That's a great sign if you ask me.  He's all schtick and someone I'd rather be on the other side of the fence of in general.

I agree... Doc's schtick has gotten old and Im over it.  Stopped listening to his show and switched over to Grant & Danny last year.  He has his place I suppose and is nice enough in person (met a few times at rallies).  His politics get old too but that's another topic.

I am ok with whatever bloodletting Rivera wants to do.

I've liked what I've heard about Schaffer over the years but the one thing about him that made me pause some as listening to a podcast interview where he complemented Bruce some and inferred they saw FA in a similar way.  They've been relatively a bad franchise when its come to dealing with FA. 

36 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Someone explain to me the concern about hiring a coach before hiring a GM.

These two are going to have to be simpatico no matter what.  Therefore, I don't see the big deal in hiring one before the other.  You hire the GM first, he's got to get a coach who he can see eye to eye with.  On the flip side, you tailor your GM search to match the philosophies and vision of the coach you just hired.  This chicken before the egg stuff doesn't really seem to matter all that much, IMO.   

It doesn't really matter the order, if it works out in the end.  I think it's the preferred route based on chain of command (coordinators report to HC, HC reports to GM, GM reports to pres/owner, etc.) and it was the more traditional way of doing business. 

I think it's more important that the HC pick his coordinators (at least the one he wants that fits his expertise, e.g. Rivera being a defensive minded HC picking his DC at minimum).  Ron is going to leave his mark on the defensive side of the ball, so we need a DC that is on board with his scheme and philosophies.  

At the end of the day, picking the HC first won't matter as long as the GM hired is fine with working with Ron and knows his role in the new structure.  Which will depend on what powers Rivera was granted in his contract (final say over draft picks, player personnel, etc.).  People get upset because Snyder hired him first.  And I get that given past history.

But Ron was a top HC candidate, if not the top HC candidate and has a decent resume along with players loving him.  A culture changer, whose players lay it all on the line for him every Sunday.  And he is a hard ass, which we desperately need right now.  It's not like hiring Zorn as OC before the head coach and then having to promote him to HC because nobody wants to come here that can't pick their own OC or DC for that matter.

Dan did it right this time, people don't want to admit that.  That's fine.  He hired football minds outside of the organization to assist with finding the new HC and what to do to fix the current organizational structure while exiling Bruce and keeping a distance.  He removed Bruce from anything football operations related, to then firing him outright based on the fact that coaching candidates would not come here if he had anything to do with the Redskins (rumored that Ron's agent told him that).  

My biggest worry is how long until Dan can't hold back and starts interfering again.  That's what I'm worried about more than anything. 

Have we really been impressive with our cap usage/contracts over the years? Seems like we are always right under the cap, and aren't able to retain our own players. I realize a lot of that is the entire F.O.

And every team has to let players go. I just don't recall anything that would make us look above average or lead by a wizard. 

1 minute ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

With all these firings any way possible we can get rid of Larry Michael while we're at it?? 😂

Larry is ok, he's mostly harmless. I didn't realize he's been here since 2004. But if you're cleaning house, why not really clean house.

At least he wasn't some brucifer crony hire.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've liked what I've heard about Schaffer over the years but the one thing about him that made me pause some as listening to a podcast interview where he complemented Bruce some and inferred they saw FA in a similar way.

Yes, it was on Grant and Danny, right?  I believe I heard the same interview or one where he said the same thing and its always stuck in my mind.

Archived