Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

Just now, Chris 44 said:

Can anyone elaborate on why Rivera was let go by Carolina. I understand Cam been injured, team under performing etc. but was it more of a "time to try something different" on the part of Carolina or perhaps not seeing eye to eye with the front office and personnel decisions. Anyone have any insight?

I think it was just stagnancy. The team was starting to transition and after a while it gets hard to get the most out of your players when they’ve endured the same fiery speeches and such for so long.

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Can anyone elaborate on why Rivera was let go by Carolina. I understand Cam been injured, team under performing etc. but was it more of a "time to try something different" on the part of Carolina or perhaps not seeing eye to eye with the front office and personnel decisions. Anyone have any insight?

He was let go because he lost to the Redskins. Nothing can be more humiliating than that. We had it all planned, straight from the day they took the bus to Charlotte.

22 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I think it's funny how the national media said the Skins wouldn't get a quality coach and raved about how Rivera would be the most sought after HC this offseason then when they found out the Skins were going to make hire him all are like what is he thinking, it'll never work, etc.  Much like some of the posters on this site.  LMAO

Well in all fairness to the media, they said it wouldnt happen without major changes to the front office. And give Dan credit where it is due, he did what he had to. Something no one thought he had the stones to do. 

Was it right? we will see. But he did it. 

Just now, NickyJ said:

I'm at work somewhere along the flight path. Get me the flight plans and I'll go out and take pictures when they go over lol

A caller on 106.7 Junks this morning said she worked at a private airport outside of Charlotte and had seen Snyder's plane there a few times this month if that helps.  She didn't name the airport but there can't be that many!

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I think it was just stagnancy. The team was starting to transition and after a while it gets hard to get the most out of your players when they’ve endured the same fiery speeches and such for so long.

Reminds me of how the Eagles Moved on from Ried. 

I don’t share the opinion of many who think Haskins is the man. Great gun but lacks the football acumen of a franchise QB (Just MHO).  BUT, I think we’re stuck moving forward with him for now because our efforts need to be focused on filling so many other holes. Hopefully he does turn into a good leader. I think any new GM is probably going to “run what ya brung” for another season at least. But will he upgrade the backups?

Advanced issue found

Rivera also received an endorsement from rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who said he met with the 57-year-old coach during the pre-draft process last spring.

"He's a good dude. I heard a lot of good things about him," Haskins said. "We'll see what happens."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2019/12/30/washington-redskins-ron-rivera-hire-coach-players/2774998001/

1 minute ago, Doctorfro said:

I don’t share the opinion of many who think Haskins is the man. Great gun but lacks the football acumen of a franchise QB (Just MHO).  BUT, I think we’re stuck moving forward with him for now because our efforts need to be focused on filling so many other holes. Hopefully he does turn into a good leader. I think any new GM is probably going to “run what ya brung” for another season at least. But will he upgrade the backups?

Did you post this in the wrong thread?

Just now, PartyPosse said:

It gives pause to realize how underrated a coach like Tomlin is. The team could have easily caved when Ben went down and they went down fighting until week 17.

Dude is criminally underrated. Hes found a way to be professional and still relate to an ever less mature player base and some lofty expectations added in. He also has the best FO maybe ever. But dude gets it done. They are saying the same kinds of things about Ron. Im anxious to see if they are true. Think about how often the panthers competed without Cam. 

I'm a bit confused here: so I heard Rivera say (or he was quoted as saying) that he didn't care about making personnel choices, he just wants to have a say with what players are on the team. To me, it sounds like he's already giving control to Snyder, what to stop Snyder from hiring another Bruce? I'm starting to lose the vision of why Rivera is such an awesome choice, am I missing something here? 

On the bright side, that means there is a good chance that KOC gets to stay in DC. I would like to see what our offense can do with a young, fresh mind with a long leash is capable of doing.

This is so strange. There's a report that he's our new head coach before he takes the final interview (meeting with Dan). 

I mean, him and his agent have to know it's a done deal. It makes me think Dan uses these type of circus moves as a way to market the team in the season where they are typically irrelevant. 

Anyway, I like Rivera and will give him a shot. I do recognize that he's lead his team to a sub .500 record for 6 of his 9 seasons in Carolina. He does still have an impressive .546 winning percentage, but he does have a Superbowl empty 15-1 season that somewhat skews the stats. 

It’s on Dan now. More than ever, it’s on Dan.

For a decade, Bruce Allen provided the owner of the Washington Redskins some measure of cover. It’s odd, really, because Dan Snyder’s the one who hired Allen, who empowered Allen, who allowed him to morph into whatever he wanted to be at the moment — football talent evaluator or politician or roster builder or sports business czar. That Allen failed at them all exposes him, for sure, and it’s unimaginable that he has a future in the sport.

But it should further expose Snyder, too, because he kept Allen in power for all those years that yielded not a single playoff victory and a severely depleted fan base. The only way to distance himself from all that failure is to put in place a viable front office that works to select the kinds of players presumed new coach Ron Rivera — whom we’ll get to — wants and needs. Then Snyder must go to his office, close the door, and open it only when someone needs a check signed to pay for a decision he or she made — a decision made independent of ownership.

It’s folly, of course, to expect Snyder to remove himself from the core processes of his business, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t beat the drum — just as we did when Allen was hired all those years ago. Allen’s record as an executive here — whether he was the top football person at the moment or not — was 62-100-1. Terrible by any measure.

But Snyder must acknowledge — if not publicly, then at least to himself — that he has overseen all the decisions that led not only to the futility of Allen’s tenure, but to the futility of his ownership, writ large. He can, for instance, blame Vinny Cerrato for convincing him to hire Jim Zorn as head coach, but it was Snyder who employed Cerrato in the first place. There’s one common element in all the emptiness, one parking spot that has remained the same in Ashburn for 20 years: the one that’s marked “Mr. Snyder.”

His record in 21 seasons of ownership is 142-193-1. At times of monumental change like this, it’s worth reminding Snyder of the company he keeps. The only NFL franchises with worse winning percentages during that time are Jacksonville, Oakland, Detroit and Cleveland. That’s paper-bag-over-the-head territory, and it’s squarely where Snyder has led the franchise he says he loves.

...The truth is, Rivera has to have some idea of what he’s getting himself into. He has to understand that people who enter Ashburn with their reputations intact almost invariably exit with them tarnished, some irreparably. By all accounts, the former Carolina Panthers head coach has the content of character and thickness of skin to endure the worst of what a workplace can offer.

But the worst is what he has to expect. This is no longer a place where legacies are enhanced or solidified. The best Washington can offer under Snyder has been endurance and survival.

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dude is criminally underrated. Hes found a way to be professional and still relate to an ever less mature player base and some lofty expectations added in. He also has the best FO maybe ever. But dude gets it done. They are saying the same kinds of things about Ron. Im anxious to see if they are true. Think about how often the panthers competed without Cam. 

Front office continuity is the most important ingredient for success imo.

Archived