Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the worse GM? Vinnie or Bruce?

kfrankie

Who was the worse GM, Bruce or Vinnie?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question. Who was worse and why?

• Bruce Allen
    • Vinnie Cerrato

12 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

I am extremely surprised that allen is winning over vinny.  i have to assume that this is a recency bias.  thinking of all the worst free agent signings, draft picks, and team performance...i can't see how allen is worse than vinny. the only thing i would concede on is that bruce created a more toxic environment...but the magnitude of dysfunction during vinny's tenure would've masked the toxicity. 

That's exactly why... the levels of toxicity. Vinny was a boob, but relatively harmless. He had one shady moment to me where he basically said Chris Samuels just had to "get over" his ailment, which turned out to be spinal stenosis and caused his retirement. Allen is just slime and stood in front of everyone proclaiming the team was close, all to protect his fiefdom of idiotic nepotism at the expense of the team. Vinny actually thought he was smart.

Allen was Simple Jack when Tug Speedman was making the movie, but with a layer of filth and slime on top. The idiot who acts like a jackass on top of it.

Vinny was Simple Jack when Tug Speedman was acting the movie as a "prisoner," an idiot who didn't know he was an idiot.

Considering the ineptness of both, the vote has to go to the one who is actually harmful and toxic versus the one who is "only" an idiot.

Bruce has the team in position to land a coach who would receive four other job offers if he stayed on the market because of the people he has brought in the last three years since taking over for Scot.   I know a lot of you will hate this thought, but the ONLY way the Bruce hatred makes ANY sense is if the Alabama Wall, Sweat, Haskins, McLaurin and Guice (and ok, sure, throw a bit of Sims in too) fail so badly that the team needs to be entirely remade in two or three years.   Then, sure, Bruce will be the worst ever.   However, if we are remotely competitive or even any good in the next three years, it's because of what Bruce left.   And a lot of you will owe thanks.   If by any stretch we win a Super Bowl with this core you will all need to pitch in to help build the statue to Bruce as our greatest personnel man since Beathard :).

In terms of football and contract decisions/moves, I think Vinny was way worse and set the franchise back many years by trading away all of our draft capital.  

Bruce was a so-so football guy, a shrewd to a fault contract guy (read: Cousins debacle), and just an absolute arrogant egomaniac that had a knack for turning people off with his better-than-thou press conferences.

So, overall, Vinny damaged the franchise more but Bruce turned more people and fans off to the franchise.  Coin flip - they were both horrible and I'm glad we can now move past both.

I used to think Vinny was a hair worse.   I'd say now Bruce was worse because he doubled down on the dysfunction and made the team even more unlikable than they were with Vinny.  I think the issue with this team is not just the losing but the slimy image attached to it.

"You loved being there, loved the relationships you had there, but outside the friendships and relationships, you see that, man, it's a toxic place," said former Redskins linebacker Will Compton, who played in Washington from 2013 through 2017. "It's hard to be successful with what goes on and what's allowed. A lot more goes into it than just being a solid team. You've got to endure a lot of s--- at Redskins Park."

Vinny's tenure was really bizarre. Fired by Marty. Brought back by Dan who missed him. Turned into an errand boy by Gibbs. Given the keys, I guess, with Zorn.

The organizational chart and tone of the operation was really crazy when he was here.

Bruce seemed to have pretty straight-forward power.

I guess I don't think it's really a fair comparison.

Vinny always seemed to be carrying out orders while Bruce seemed to be implementing a vision.

My vote goes to, can I have a drumroll please?

......Dan “Lord Farquaad” Snyder!

By all accounts, he was the one responsible for making a number of our personnel decisions for at least part of this time. Additionally, he was responsible for bringing in these two morons and then not firing them year after year. Hell, he even brought Vinny back. Pure brilliance.

i remember after he was fired for the last time asking one of the few Vinny defenders to let me know when he gets another job in the NFL. Nothing but crickets, still.😃

So we’ve had “cash solves cap” and a “damn good culture”. I can only wonder at what comes next. Maybe Lord Farquaad can convince Pepper Rodgers to come out of retirement.🙄

11 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Bruce's teams went 3-13 twice. But we were always close!

BTW, I forgot to add that the Redskins have gone 3-13 only 3 times and 2 of them were in the last 7 years.

So Doofus Dan and Bumbling Bruce own 2 of the 3 worst Redskins teams in history. (Or at least since the early 60s)

Throw in a 4-12. Yeah it's definitely Bruce.

I'd have to say Allen. He was better at drafting and acquiring free agents but established such a toxic culture that it undermined the Redskins ability to retain players and undermined the moral of the team which does translate to performance on the field.  Far worse than becoming a laughing stock the Redskins became an object of disgust under to Allen (and Snyder). You know it is bad when other fans don't laugh at us (Redskins fans) but pity us.

Cerrato was a boob and a "yes man", but I never got the impression that as Executive VP he was in charge except for 2003 (pre Gibbs) and 08-09 (when Gibbs retired).  Allen was the sole guy in power (outside of Snyder) for a decade, and even when he was supposed to share that power (with Shanahan, Scot M., etc.) he did everything he could to undermine those people and drive them out of the building.  I cannot believe people are actually voting for Cerrato over Allen.  

On 12/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, ntotoro said:

That's exactly why... the levels of toxicity. Vinny was a boob, but relatively harmless. He had one shady moment to me where he basically said Chris Samuels just had to "get over" his ailment, which turned out to be spinal stenosis and caused his retirement. Allen is just slime and stood in front of everyone proclaiming the team was close, all to protect his fiefdom of idiotic nepotism at the expense of the team. Vinny actually thought he was smart.

Allen was Simple Jack when Tug Speedman was making the movie, but with a layer of filth and slime on top. The idiot who acts like a jackass on top of it.

Vinny was Simple Jack when Tug Speedman was acting the movie as a "prisoner," an idiot who didn't know he was an idiot.

Considering the ineptness of both, the vote has to go to the one who is actually harmful and toxic versus the one who is "only" an idiot.

or maybe he just misjudged the talent

Archived