Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On The State of ES and This Fanbase

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I think that the forum was more active “back then” when people primarily accessed it from their PC’s and didn’t have to labor over long posts.  Now, most people post from their cell phones so it’s easier to simply type a shorter post, this degrading the interaction.

Second, ES getting absorbed by the team took a hit imo.  It’s clear that the team wants nothing to do with this message board that spends 76% of the times trashing it.

Last, the team hasn’t given us much to talk about.  We don’t have any real big names and we suck perennially.  I mostly only post when big things happen or on game days.  The minutiae of every day items isn’t worth posting about.

Gibbs coming back, 5-0 or we dont go, Vinnie exodus, RG3. All those moments saw increase in newcomers.  If they build it, more will come.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There are morons who think if the starting QB broke his ankle, someone couldn't start a new thread on that?

Just. Start. Threads. You'd. Like. To. See.

It's not hard. 

That's an oversimplification. 

If I had an idea about Haskins, I'd be tempted to start a thread, but I've got to weigh that with the off topic replies like

- in before close

- hi there

- this could have just gone in the Haskins thread

- this is a stupid idea

And that's just from the regular posters. I'm not talking about any mods critiquing my stuff. 

Another thing that impacted my activity here was when WP (I think) got mad at us posting whole stories. Back then Bubba (probably my favorite poster all time) and I would regularly post stories we found and we'd discuss them. Then the rules about posting stories changed and even though I've read the rules, I've never felt at ease with the whole posting news stories rules, so I stopped posting those stories as new threads. 

But some of my favorite articles are the film review stuff that is done by Cooley, Bullock and Hoffman. I can post the series of tweets that they put into the story, but again its frustrating to be about to press "submit" And having to wonder if this is thread worthy or if it should just go on the mega thread. Then I put it in the mega because I hate creating threads, only to have it get one response, probably by @Skinsinparadise, and then quickly be in the middle of this heap of replies. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Springfield said:

In the old days, I used to get my Redskins news from ES.  Now it’s impossible to tell

This describes me in a lot of ways. I mentioned in my last post that my favorite poster was Bubba because when I first joined ES (I think in 2001, but don't quote me on that) it was mainly because I had been going to sites like TSN and webskins and a bunch of other places trying to find what was being written about my team. I would occasionally join in debates initially but when I joined it was to post these stories and to read them. And Bubba did the same thing and I was really thankful to him for that. 

But I will say that I disagree with you about the megathreads taking away from that. First I will say that the Breaking News (named for Bubba and HapHazard) is now maintained by @Wildbunny and you can visit there instead of just looking for a thread containing that article. 

The other thing I like about this site is that it is staying up to date, or maybe I should say that its evolving itself. I discovered the RSS feed option earlier this year. Before that I discovered the activity streams option and follow threads options. These things allow me to stay up to date on most of the threads without having to click through 300+ pages, and its a lot easier than some other sites. 

And just for comparison I look at some of the topic (article) based conversation at other sites like hogshaven comments or twitter, and its much of the same stuff we complain about. Somebody does a breakdown of a prospect for the draft or a player who may make the roster and the comments are either nil, or they go off topic talking about stuff like the guy in FA they want or how cursed this franchise is, or the simple firebruceallen and selltheteam hashtags. So as much as I complain about megathreads, what I may really be complaining about is the internet getting more popular because whether its here or somewhere else I have a feeling that this type of behavior is going to continue and all I can do is reminisce for the good ol days. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it's generational/ a sign of the times we sadly now live in thing, but this place of ours has become incredibly biatchy when folk don't share an opinion. I mean there's always been heated debates, to say the least. The natural by-product of passionate fans. Not least with the added anonymity factor. The Jason Campbell 'QB Wars' era spring instantly to mind where some real good posters lost their heads, and subsequently their time here, for overstepping the mark. But in the main, it was usually good, knowledgable,  respectful football talk with the board self-policing itself. Gentle ribbing was often the acceptable norm to pull folk back into line. 

Now, oft times, you genuinely don't want/ CBA to post in the Stadium for all the underhand snide that prevails when someone doesn't agree with a POV. And even madder to me, it's often long-standing members you'd never have previously expected that tone from. 

That's been the biggest and saddest change in the demographic of the membership to me. And a big reason why I took a self-imposed break from talking about Redskins football. And it just appears worse since I ventured back with the schoolyard attacks/ needless trolling et al. 

I guess the nature of the organisation sucking so much is also a big contributor there. But sadly, to me at least, it's just not the same fun place to discuss our mutual passion that it once was as a lot of folk no longer have the patience/ tolerance of any other view than their own. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Thanks 1

I think I've said this before, but I think the biggest difference between the merger and pre-merger days is sense of humor. I remember Honorary Hog, myself, and others creating a boatload of very silly, very funny threads both in the Tailgate and in the Stadium. You'll still find sparks of humor here or there, but a lot of the posting has become serious, analytic, or mean. There's always been kvetching and complaining about the team because the team has rarely been good enough, but I find that there is a bitterness that needs to be leavened with a little bit more fun.

I probably blame the Redskins for that more than us. This season especially has provided little fun, other than McClauren and the last couple of games where Haskins seemed to begin to develop, but the season has been a slog and a downer. Anyway, I think we need to laugh more and gripe less.

That's my gripe, anyway.

P.S. I know that there is no real prohibition on starting new threads and historically I've been accused of being far too prolific, but I think the mega threads are a little problematic. Always have. The reason being that making these super topics keeps the topics broad. Fun is in the specific and detailed. I think that's why I probably enjoyed @KDawg's day after threads the best this go around.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing is, the megathreads were needed because one subject would overwhelm the board if they didn't exist.

That subject is usually the starting QB for the Redskins.

Think Robert Griffin or Kirk Cousins.

Back when they were our starting QBs, if we didn't have megathreads, the first five pages of this board would be nothing but Griffin or Cousins threads.

Most of them just one-sentence opinions.

All the other important Redskins info would get pushed back to page six almost immediately.

Look at the current Dwayne Haskins megathread. Now imagine if just half the posts on there were their own thread. This wouldn't be a Redskins board. It would be a Dwayne Haskins board. :)

So megathreads are needed to keep the repetitive and the unnecessary from overwhelming the board.

However, the mods have never stopped anyone from posting new threads if there is breaking news going on. But if you just want to write "Dwayne Haskins sucks. He's not the future of the team." That doesn't need to be its own thread. :)

I know some feel their posts are so valuable and so important, that they don't want them to be lost in the weeds of lesser opinions on the megathreads, but if they are as valuable and important as they think they are, they'll stand out. :)

That’s the thing, where I’m torn so to speak, I think the megathreads are necessary because of what @SkinsGuy said.  Back then, “not every thought deserves its own thread” was a notion.  So in that respect, I agree.  Many, many people earned the coveted NNT designation cause of their propensity to start threads.

@Burgold I think that your threads add to the experience in the stadium and spark conversation and positive thinking.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

However, the mods have never stopped anyone from posting new threads if there is breaking news going on. But if you just want to write "Dwayne Haskins sucks. He's not the future of the team." That doesn't need to be its own thread. :)

I know some feel their posts are so valuable and so important, that they don't want them to be lost in the weeds of lesser opinions on the megathreads, but if they are as valuable and important as they think they are, they'll stand out. :)

Ding.

You get a cookie. :) 

146208lrg.jpg

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I've been a long time lurker, just recently started posting every once in awhile.  Had tens of thousands of posts on hailredskins back in the day (I know, who cares).

You called me a racist after one of my first posts, which was just a gif making fun of Ezekiel Elliot.  

Maybe start by looking in the mirror.

Edited by 86 Snyder
27 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I've been a long time lurker, just recently started posting every once in awhile.  Had tens of thousands of posts on hailredskins back in the day (I know, who cares).

You called me a racist after one of my first posts, which was just a gif making fun of Ezekiel Elliot.  

Maybe start by looking in the mirror.

Let it go & move on.

18. Adhere to the directives and recommendations of the ExtremeSkins Staff.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I don't know if it's generational/ a sign of the times we sadly now live in thing, but this place of ours has become incredibly biatchy when folk don't share an opinion. I mean there's always been heated debates, to say the least. The natural by-product of passionate fans. Not least with the added anonymity factor. The Jason Campbell 'QB Wars' era spring instantly to mind where some real good posters lost their heads, and subsequently their time here, for overstepping the mark. But in the main, it was usually good, knowledgable,  respectful football talk with the board self-policing itself. Gentle ribbing was often the acceptable norm to pull folk back into line. 

Now, oft times, you genuinely don't want/ CBA to post in the Stadium for all the underhand snide that prevails when someone doesn't agree with a POV. And even madder to me, it's often long-standing members you'd never have previously expected that tone from. 

That's been the biggest and saddest change in the demographic of the membership to me. And a big reason why I took a self-imposed break from talking about Redskins football. And it just appears worse since I ventured back with the schoolyard attacks/ needless trolling et al. 

I guess the nature of the organisation sucking so much is also a big contributor there. But sadly, to me at least, it's just not the same fun place to discuss our mutual passion that it once was as a lot of folk no longer have the patience/ tolerance of any other view than their own. 

Hail. 

This.

I've been around ES for a long time, mainly in the Stadium. It felt like family. We had great discussions and people seemed to think, before posting. I think that, as the membership has increased, the intelligence has decreased. With the exception of a few posters, we did a great job of self moderation. It was a kinder, gentler board. It was very informative and fun.

It's still informative, but not as much fun.  There's too much bickering,  vitriol lots of snide remarks.  ES is still my "go-to" for most things Redskins, but I don't visit nearly as much.

• Like 3

I think what so many don’t realize is the pettiness, ugliness, and bitterness they see is mostly a reflection on Dan and his top exec. 

I can’t help but feel the ones here complaining that there’s no positivity aren’t noticing that in order to be positive, in order to believe in Dan and his top exec, you eventually find yourself accepting the scapegoats and villains of their creation. Which means you’re as negative as anyone, you just target those you deem acceptable to be targeted by buying into the organizational propaganda, which in turn gives you a false sense of being a “better fan”. Doesn’t matter if they’re actually the productive ones or are doing the best they can for the object of your fandom, you’ll still hate them for failing while ignoring or downplaying the constructs of their failure that made it inevitable. 

The factions and divisions here, which lead to agenda-based discussions versus open ones, are all a reflection of what’s happening inside the building. Fandom will always include extremes, but when the people you’re rooting for within the building are constantly divided because of an organizational environment and culture that encourages it, you can’t expect anything else other than it transferring to the fans who desperately want to buy in. 

Imagine two decades of this transference occurring continuously and what it’s done to the levels of discourse we try to reach here on ES. 

The moment that changes with Dan and how he structures the organization, you’ll see it reflect in the fanbase, as well. Which will have a positive carryover anywhere the team is discussed, for that matter. 

@ConnSKINS26 alluded to this when he mentioned how, in the past, we were all much more naive and, thus, it was an easier time because most of us shared in that naiveté and could buy in with little to no problems.

I make it a habit to look elsewhere and compare ES to other outlets of discussion all the time. They all suffer from the same thing. It’s not the outlets themselves, though some lend to different forms of discussion, but the fanbase itself. 

Most intelligent people who know how to carry a discussion are simply too tired and overwhelmed by it all to be encouraged to participate. They’ve learned long ago these are core, organizational issues that emanate from the top and know they’re just witnessing a bad cycle repeating itself with the only difference being the names.

What you have left of the fanbase who are willing to participate consistently are mostly those obsessed with furthering their factional/scapegoating/divisive narratives while being oblivious to the core issue or willingly ignoring it since that’s really the only hope remaining. And then you have the few who remain attempting to counter that. So, yeah, it’s ugly. It sucks. No matter what side you’re on, it’s negative. And many just don’t want to be a part of it. 

Again, that’ll change if Dan does. It’s that simple. There is no one else to blame for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
10 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think I've said this before, but I think the biggest difference between the merger and pre-merger days is sense of humor. I remember Honorary Hog, myself, and others creating a boatload of very silly, very funny threads both in the Tailgate and in the Stadium. You'll still find sparks of humor here or there, but a lot of the posting has become serious, analytic, or mean. There's always been kvetching and complaining about the team because the team has rarely been good enough, but I find that there is a bitterness that needs to be leavened with a little bit more fun.

I probably blame the Redskins for that more than us. This season especially has provided little fun, other than McClauren and the last couple of games where Haskins seemed to begin to develop, but the season has been a slog and a downer. Anyway, I think we need to laugh more and gripe less.

That's my gripe, anyway.

P.S. I know that there is no real prohibition on starting new threads and historically I've been accused of being far too prolific, but I think the mega threads are a little problematic. Always have. The reason being that making these super topics keeps the topics broad. Fun is in the specific and detailed. I think that's why I probably enjoyed @KDawg's day after threads the best this go around.

First of all, the board is better post-merger for the simple reason that I joined post-merger. I'm the best poster in the history of this board. You factory reject sex toys are lucky that I've maintained a presence for <checks notes> 15 years.

15 years?

I've wasted my life.

Anyway, any issues that happened on this board after the merger occurred because certain posters suddenly saw themselves as either part of or auditioning for the team's PR department. Certain posters thought they were going to riding on Snyder's corporate jet if they played their cards right. Certain posters were shut-ins who treated the team like family. Certain posters thought they were going to go from this dump to the Algonquin round table.

If you miss this site pre-merger, it still exists. Om's Pickle Party website (Where reason shall prevail!!) is still putting up as many as six new posts a day. McD5 is there. It's a freaking hoot.

Here's  the issue. The Redskins aren't fun. They stopped being fun a long time ago.  They stink at football. But that's only part of it. The corporate side of the Redskins are the worst examples of Corporate America's avarice and incompetence that anyone could see.

The Redskins by every right should be out of business. Since Snyder took over, they are a failure on every level. But NFL teams can't go out of business. So here we are.

We are rooting for Toys R Us. A soulless corporate failure that by rights should no longer exist. Gosh, why don't we have more joy?!?!?!

But there's hope. Marvin Lewis is coming to turn this horrible hulking failed state over to actual felons. Pac Man Jones will be starting any day now. That will be fun!!!

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This.

I've been around ES for a long time, mainly in the Stadium. It felt like family. We had great discussions and people seemed to think, before posting. I think that, as the membership has increased, the intelligence has decreased. With the exception of a few posters, we did a great job of self moderation. It was a kinder, gentler board. It was very informative and fun.

It's still informative, but not as much fun.  There's too much bickering,  vitriol lots of snide remarks.  ES is still my "go-to" for most things Redskins, but I don't visit nearly as much.

FIrst of all membership has not increased. Membership has literally died off in a lot of cases.

Young fans - if they exist - don't join message boards. I mean, this site is the height of technology from 1999. Everyone is on Twitter or Reddit or InstaChat or other things that frighten and confuse me.

We're old. Our shut-ins that posted the news literally died. I think we sent flowers.

The posters who haven't died have found other ways to spend their time - babysitting grand kids, worrying about polyps in their colon, etc. Remember Zoony? I hear he's spent a lot of time trying to resolve his impotence problem. Aging is a ****, man.

The people left are basically the co-dependent Redskins fans. We are in a bitter, loveless marriage that is only going to end when either we die or Snyder dies. Think of that aunt and uncle who should have divorced in 1968, never did, and spent the next 30 years ruining your Christmas! That's us.

Welcome to Hell!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Too many posters saying stuff to other posters they wouldnt say in person.  This is jus as much to do with take over of social media as people taking this team too seriously and wanting someone to take it out on.  Really have to step back and think what Extreme meant, means, or should mean.

Complaining about the quality of a fan board when the majority of the fans want to lose games for draft picks and belittling fans who want to win? What do yall expect the output of that equation to be? We can blame Snyder all we want, but at some point we need to look at ourselves. 

Have to keep this all in perspective.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1

I used to post more on the message board owned by the Washington Post.  We even had a meetup and went to a game together.  It was great.  Life happened, that board was dismantled, so here I am.  I honestly enjoy the game day threads....some posters are very witty.

As for mega threads, if something happens, I start on the last page and work back.  Takes a few minutes to find the new news.

Is Zoony really gone from here?  I appreciated his snarky humor.

Thanks to the mods who keep this place open.  The Redskins groups on FB are a cluster and I don’t do Twitter.

1 hour ago, just skins baby said:

I always enjoyed the Art beat downs of Cowboys fans and of course the Daily Babe thread!

A lot of people were upset when that judge ruled that Art had to be buried alive in Karl Swanson's mausoleum, but I thought it was a fair interpretation of the contract. I wonder how long his provisions lasted.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Remember Zoony? I hear he's spent a lot of time trying to resolve his impotence problem.

Z's doing hard time in a supermax in eastern tennessee. Actually I think Zoony's raison d etre became trying to expose LL56 and bounce him from ES, and wallop him in the post RG3 apocalypse. And I guess he succeded in that. After that everything else seemed boring, I'd imagine. Last I read he was really trying to get married with children back on the air. That's got to take up the remainder of a man's time, surely. 

Let's get your pal Karl to come back for an encore "State of the R-word franchise" conceited red carpet photo shoot, for old times sake. Make ES great again. 

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Too many posters saying stuff to other posters they wouldnt say in person.  This is jus as much to do with take over of social media as people taking this team too seriously and wanting someone to take it out on.  Really have to step back and think what Extreme meant, means, or should mean.

Complaining about the quality of a fan board when the majority of the fans want to lose games for draft picks and belittling fans who want to win? What do yall expect the output of that equation to be? We can blame Snyder all we want, but at some point we need to look at ourselves. 

Have to keep this all in perspective.

I think people should allow others to be fans however they feel is best.

Winning games/losing games... it's all in the spirit of what people think would improve the team. That's an issue that goes both ways.

But I don't see a lot of the stuff that's been said here. I also ignore a lot of the non sense. The forum is what you make it.

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But I don't see a lot of the stuff that's been said here. I also ignore a lot of the non sense.

One possibly explains the other?  Fan cannibalism is very real.

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The forum is what you make it.

Very true, biggest point.

• Jumbo locked this topic