Veretax

2020 Hopeful Optimism Thread

I'm tired of negativity about the team.  So what do we have as positive things we can say about this team?  I realize it may be hard but here are a few.

1. Dwayne Haskins looks to be at least serviceable, so we may not need to draft a QB  high.  If Alex returns you have your backup should Haskins not be ready to go week 1. (Cut colt, don't resign Keenam)
2. OUr young receiving corp.   Its not just McLaurin, Sims Jr, Harmon look to be legitimate receiving threats.  For the first time in ten years, WR may actually be a potential strength. (i'd still take a flyer on a mid round WR if any fit our needs.)
3. TE growth: Sprinkle has shown just enough to justify keeping him.  Even if Vernon/Reed are gone, at least the Skins have 1 Tight end on roster they can have some confidence in
4. Young linebackers.  When kerrigan went out, we saw some just signed linebackers come in and immediately have impact on a few games.   I'm not sure if we need 1 more rush or off ball line backer, but our front line is looking solid.  Maybe we need one more element there.  (development of a few players has been positive)

5. Young Defensive Backs have shown what they can do maybe Norman isn't the answer long term.  We may still need a pick there if we lose Norman.
6. Flowers may be a serviceable starter for a few more years.  This would allow us to draft a guard or center later in the draft to groom to take his place in a few years (allowing us to focus on the issue on the left side of the line with Trent Williams being likely gone.)
7. Safety:  Monte Nicholson showed what he can do when healthy.  At beginning of the season I expected this could be his last year here, now he might have earned another year.  We may still need to develop depth at safety as Collins looks to be a great in the box safety.
8. RB.  We got AP under contract for another year, love will be back from injury and Guice has legs when healthy.  It may be said if CT is not kept, but its hard to imagine all the backs this year returning.
9. Finally a FB made an impact.
10. Gruden is Gone, and if #FireBruce ends up being the outcome, we might have a fresh start from top down for the first time in many years.  
11. Bad season means chance for impact draft picks next year, if the right people pick them.
12. Tres 'The Laser' Way - has played lights out this year.  Guy is likely the top punter in the league this year.  The field position he helped control gave us more chances than we probably deserved this year.  Looking forward to more of this

Its not all negative, this year has been depressing.  But we have some reasons to hope I think.  Did I miss anything?

Adding to your list...

Reuben Foster seeing the field for us would give us another talented player on D.  
If we get lucky with landing Young, our dline should be a legitimate beneficiary.  
I think Holcomb will develop further and playing behind/next to the two guys above (hopefully) should help him.  

You touched on this, but Dunbar had a very good year and Moreland did not look like the game is too big for him.  Moreau looks more comfortable playing outside.  
Hopkins has been a solid kicker for us.  
Martin has looked like a guy that can emerge as a solid starter... even if it takes time to adjust to a new scheme and develop cohesion with his fellow linemen.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

The excessive penalties and boneheaded mistakes were gone within a few weeks after Gruden was shown the door. So, it doesn't to be that way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Veretax said:

I'm tired of negativity about the team.  So what do we have as positive things we can say about this team?  I realize it may be hard but here are a few.

7. Safety:  Monte Nicholson showed what he can do when healthy.  At beginning of the season I expected this could be his last year here, now he might have earned another year.  We may still need to develop depth at safety as Collins looks to be a great in the box safety.

Its not all negative, this year has been depressing.  But we have some reasons to hope I think.  Did I miss anything?

I am 100% with you about having some stuff to be positive about.  This is the only one i dont agree with.  Montae looked completely lost at times.  I think he deserves a chance to COMPETE for a starting job, but that position NEEDS to be better.  That could be as simple as a new DC using Montae different.

Thank you for the positivity, its something i have missed around here.

• Like 1

What happens in the FO and the next HC, along with the staff he hires, is going to be the single most important offseason move. If we don't get the top straight and we once again make the wrong hire at HC, the players we have won't matter much. 

That said, I'm a believer! If we get Allen the hell out of here and hire a competent football guy to run the team. If we're smart with the 2nd overall pick- whether that's taking Young or trading back- I don't know. If we get a stud TE, which is essential in today's NFL and I see absolutely no reason why we can't compete for the division immediately.

But again, if things don't get righted in the FO and the wrong hire is made at HC, things will continue as they've been. As the saying goes- "keep doin' what you're doin' and you're gonna keep gettin' what you're gettin'." 

• Like 1

Probably a few days early for this until we know the status of one Brucifer.

Sorry, but that one thing alone crushes any hope and there is hope as has been mentioned.

• Like 1

I will add to the TE list. Hale Hentges looked like a keeper last game. Though he only grabbed two passes, he was open often. His route running was excellent for a rookie. And he had a fantastic grab on a scramble play from Keenum. The guy interests me because he really wasnt a pass catcher at Alabama. But it looks like the guy can play.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I will add to the TE list. Hale Hentges looked like a keeper last game. Though he only grabbed two passes, he was open often. His route running was excellent for a rookie. And he had a fantastic grab on a scramble play from Keenum. The guy interests me because he really wasnt a pass catcher at Alabama. But it looks like the guy can play.

I agree, I hope they give him solid PT next year too to see his potential.  Even if his stats aren't eye popping, a blocking TE can have such a positive effect on your offense as a whole by disguising run vs pass plays and not being so obvious.  I'd be ok with not making TE a priority this offseason, maybe getting another late rounder block first TE, move on from Reed/Davis, and see what the young guys can do.

• Like 1

McLaurin with a solid QB would have won ROY hands down. I hope Haskins will develop eventhough i'm a skeptic. I think Montez can definitely improve in another system with another DC. See how Preston Smith was misused, he doubled his sacks number in GB. I think Montez as the same potential and maybe more.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:51 AM, profusion said:

The excessive penalties and boneheaded mistakes were gone within a few weeks after Gruden was shown the door. 

Yeah, it's amazing how well our trick plays on offense seemed to somehow actually work. I'm not sure I would even want him as an OC if another team needed one.

Depending on what happens at the end of the season and I will be somewhat optimistic 

Then will be the draft and some slightly  more optimism 

Even more optimistic when training camp opens in August 

Most optimistic time is after the final roster is set and its Labor day weekend right before the regular season begins 

22 minutes ago, c slag said:

Depending on what happens at the end of the season and I will be somewhat optimistic 

Then will be the draft and some slightly  more optimism 

Even more optimistic when training camp opens in August 

Most optimistic time is after the final roster is set and its Labor day weekend right before the regular season begins 

This is where I'm at, I'm cautiously optimistic from the rumors that have been swirling.  I'll reserve the right to fully respond until after the Monday press conference and see what happens with Bruce Allen.  He can not be in the building AT ALL.  Don't move him to executive of janitorial services, he needs to be out!

The reports from Indy were that Hentges could catch well and was doing a good job in camp. The problems are that he's slow and hasn't done well in the few opportunities that he's been given. I don't want to sound critical but as somebody who was hype on him when we first signed him I'll say that Sprinkle has outshined him by a lot. Both have had a lot of drops and Sprinkle has a much faster body with more athleticism which may make him harder to cover if he just commits. But the problem with Sprinkle is that his drops are over a longer period and with more opportunities. I don't doubt that Hentges can emerge, but I'd bet my money on Cunningham or Wilson (or Parham if we bring him back). 

On 12/28/2019 at 8:08 AM, OVCChairman said:

This is the only one i dont agree with.  Montae

let me clarify more from unpaid this year than I have seen in all his previous Seasons however he still seems to be like you said a guy to get confused that's true and he seems to get injured frequently which makes me think he'll be on the outs

It’d be nice to have someone come in and run a 1 gap scheme with the d-line we’ll have next year. Might turn out to be a top 5 in the league d-line. 

The NFC East is not that good, you have a lot of aging vets on Dallas and Philly and some of the younger players (Dak & Cooper) are out of contract so I think next year is wide open for any team in the division including us.

I don't think anything fundamentally changes under Snyder sells the team. He's not going to change now and (no matter how well-meaning) has a history of meddling, incompetence, and poor appointments. Nothing really changes otherwise. The culture of this franchise is poisonous. I see no reason for optimism.

• Thanks 1

1) There is no proof that being a fan of the Redskins will give you cancer 

2) Daniel Snyder’s father only lived to age 70. Actuarially speaking, if we can hang on for another 15 years...

3) At the moment, there are no proven links between Snyder and Jeffrey Epstein.

4) A giant meteor could strike the earth, ending all life as we know it. This would put the Redskins on equal footing with the other 29 teams.

• Haha 1

Drink the kool-aid.  You know you want to.  It's so refreshing. What can go wrong?  Hope for the Skins is more addictive than crack.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, Veretax said:

1. Dwayne Haskins looks to be at least serviceable, so we may not need to draft a QB  high.  If Alex returns you have your backup should Haskins not be ready to go week 1. (Cut colt, don't resign Keenam)
2. OUr young receiving corp.   Its not just McLaurin, Sims Jr, Harmon look to be legitimate receiving threats.  For the first time in ten years, WR may actually be a potential strength. (i'd still take a flyer on a mid round WR if any fit our needs.)
3. TE growth: Sprinkle has shown just enough to justify keeping him.  Even if Vernon/Reed are gone, at least the Skins have 1 Tight end on roster they can have some confidence in
4. Young linebackers.  When kerrigan went out, we saw some just signed linebackers come in and immediately have impact on a few games.   I'm not sure if we need 1 more rush or off ball line backer, but our front line is looking solid.  Maybe we need one more element there.  (development of a few players has been positive)

5. Young Defensive Backs have shown what they can do maybe Norman isn't the answer long term.  We may still need a pick there if we lose Norman.
6. Flowers may be a serviceable starter for a few more years.  This would allow us to draft a guard or center later in the draft to groom to take his place in a few years (allowing us to focus on the issue on the left side of the line with Trent Williams being likely gone.)
8. RB.  We got AP under contract for another year, love will be back from injury and Guice has legs when healthy.  It may be said if CT is not kept, but its hard to imagine all the backs this year returning.
9. Finally a FB made an impact.
10. Gruden is Gone, and if #FireBruce ends up being the outcome, we might have a fresh start from top down for the first time in many years.  
11. Bad season means chance for impact draft picks next year, if the right people pick them.
12. Tres 'The Laser' Way - has played lights out this year.  Guy is likely the top punter in the league this year.  The field position he helped control gave us more chances than we probably deserved this year.  Looking forward to more of this

I am fine with your positivity but your post would have been stronger if you left off 3, 4, 5, and 7. They are all huge stretches to be a positives.