Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The QB Thread- Change is Name of the QB game

88Comrade2000

Panthers insider sees possibility for Carolina to trade Christian McCaffrey, first-rounders for Deshaun Watson

As an offseason unlike any other at the quarterback position gets underway, ESPN NFL Nation team reporter David Newton sees a scenario where the Carolina Panthers could pounce on an opportunity to trade for Deshaun Watson from the Houston Texans. Monday afternoon on ESPN's NFL Live, Newton explained why in a segment that shared bold predictions for some of the league's biggest quarterback storylines.

"The Panthers will do whatever it takes to get Deshaun Watson, and that includes giving up three first-round draft picks and (running back) Christian McCaffrey," Newton said. "Owner David Tepper wants to win a Super Bowl. He's made that clear. He understand it takes a marquee quarterback to do that. If you look at recent history, outside of (Kansas City Chiefs quarterback) Patrick Mahomes, the quickest way to do that is to trade for a marquee quarterback and not draft one in the first round. Just ask Tampa Bay."

The Panthers' potential pursuit of a veteran quarterback, such as Watson, would not be an entire surprise. ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter reported last Sunday that the Panthers tried to trade for now-former Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford. Detroit ultimately dealt Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in a blockbuster haul.

"One of the teams that's looking to upgrade the quarterback position is the Carolina Panthers," Schefter said Feb. 7 on ESPN's Postseason NFL Countdown. "In fact, last weekend when they were in discussions with the Detroit Lions, they offered Teddy Bridgewater to the Lions in exchange for Matthew Stafford.

"Not only did they offer Bridgewater but they also offered their eighth overall pick, a fifth-round pick and Teddy Bridgewater to Detroit before Detroit shipped off Stafford to Los Angeles. But the fact that they were willing to part with Bridgewater tells you that his future in Carolina is shaky for the upcoming season."

Click on the link for the full article

• 4 weeks later...

Saints and Jameis Winston reach an agreement on a 1-year deal: source

A day after longtime quarterback Drew Brees retired, the New Orleans Saints may have signed his successor.

The Saints and quarterback Jameis Winston agreed to a one-year contract, a league source confirmed. The Athletic first reported the news, and subsequent reports indicated the deal will pay Winston $5.5 million in base salary with potential to earn up to $12 million after hitting incentives.

Winston essentially confirmed the news himself after the news broke, tweeting: "Who dat!" The Saints announced the transaction late Monday night.

Click on the link for the full article

How Sam Darnold Might Wind Up a Weird Key to the Bears Offseason

Sam Darnold could be the key to a successful Chicago Bears’ offseason. *DRAMATIC PAUSE BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT I JUST SAID.*

No, seriously. You’ll note that I’m not saying Darnold becoming the Bears’ starting quarterback is key to the offseason. Just that it’s increasingly plausible that his movement off of the Jets – perhaps by way of the Bears as a happy intermediary – could be a key for the Bears.

Consider a trio of bits that dropped today amid the Obsessive Russell Wilson Watch Watching. First, you’ve got ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky imagining what a possible Bears-Seahawks Russell Wilson trade would look like, and requiring a third team to get it done:

So, there are elements there that don’t quite work specifically (after the base salary conversion on Khalil Mack, which dramatically increased his already sky-high cap hits in 2022 and 2023, I don’t see him as realistically tradable, for example). But the thrust there is that the Bears would loop in the Jets to get extra picks and Darnold to send to the Seahawks, who’ll need a quarterback to replace Wilson, and maybe Pete Carroll wants to take a shot on the former USC star?

Speaking of which, thing number two:

Click on the link for more

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Aaron may not like Texans. There’s a chance they cut bait with Watson and actually Trade him before start of camp. The Gm said the Watson situation will be taken care of, by start of camp. That can only mean they are trading him.

Consideration Watson likely will be suspended or put on exempt list; he probably won’t be available for a good chunk of 21.  They aren’t going to get the same deal, they would’ve pre scandal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depending how 21 plays out; 22 will see another QB shake up.

You could see changes at QB in:

NY Giants, Philly, Washington, Green Bay, Carolina, New Orleans, Denver, Las Vegas, Houston, Pittsburgh-Ben retiring, Miami.

Watson and Rodgers probably will be the top vets available.

41 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Dwayne Haskins' rockets into the dirt make Donovan McNabb look like Patrick Mahomes. I can't wait to see how bad off the Steelers are if Roethlesberger goes down again.

I thought Haskins' worm-burners looked awfully familiar.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Dwayne Haskins' rockets into the dirt make Donovan McNabb look like Patrick Mahomes. I can't wait to see how bad off the Steelers are if Roethlesberger goes down again.

I think haskins would be the 3rd string QB wouldn’t he? Mason Rudolph can do just fine if Ben goes down again. 

57 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think haskins would be the 3rd string QB wouldn’t he? Mason Rudolph can do just fine if Ben goes down again. 

Rudolph was mediocre. He got himself benched for Duck Hodges in 2019. Rudolph and C.J. Beathard are birds of a feather, the type of QB that's mediocre enough to stick but force the coach to turn it into a QB carousel when he sucks about as much as the UDFA behind him.