Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should The Redskins Draft A QB?

Veryoldschool

Draft A QB With #1 Pick?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Redskins Use Their Top Pick To Draft A QB?

• Yes, absolutely if they get a chance to draft the best 1 or 2 QBs they should.
    • No, absolutely not they should trade down for multiple picks because they have lots of needs and Haskins may work out.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/29/2019 at 04:36 AM

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

OK, maybe the part in bold was not accurate; he still hasn't picked up on how to escape the pocket.

Yes, he's played better in the last 2 games, but against the Giants and Eagles? They're not exactly opening any eyes defensively. All I'm saying is there are issues with him that are fundamental things that a QB who has played at least a few years in college would know by now. I would be thrilled if he DID overcome them next year, but he's got 2 things working against him;

1. pocket presence.  This guy needs a good QB coach and he really needs to put in the offseason effort into bettering himself. If he doesn't, well, it'll be more of the same next year.

2. sophomore slump. Not that he's been lighting up the league, but kinda referencing #1 a little, he cannot be branded the starting position next year before training camp starts, he has to work for it, earn it, not have it given to him on a platter like Snyder with Griffin. He will spiral down in a hurry.

Yep, in less than a full season worth of starts he hasn't picked up on how to escape the pocket. Cut him tomorrow. You do realize the learning curve in regards to processing post snap reads is about as steep as it gets from what he had to do in college vs what he's dealing with in the NFL right? His pocket presence will be just fine once his eyes become more comfortable. Spacial awareness and anticipation is actually a strong suit of his. What he did in college did absolutely nothing to prepare him for playing the position in the NFL. Sheesh, let's get a grip. 

Absolutely not, Haskins has shown good things and the rest of the team needs improving before a QB can even survive here.  If you shore up other positions and Haskins doesnt work out well, you can draft a QB in 2021 with a better team around him and a better chance to succeed.  Of the top 10 QBs this season in QBR, only 1 was in the top 9 picks of the draft, and most were drafted after the top 30 picks.

Who are you going to take?  I don't think anybody will be better than Haskins.  Some scouting directors had graded Joe Burrow graded as 4th rounder prior to the season.  Also, they have concerns about his arm strength.  So they see him following a career path similar to Carr or Dalton.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020QB.php

It appears to me that we hit jackpot with Haskins.

We shouldn't draft a QB at all this coming draft, not in any round.

We already have 3 QBs on the roster behind Haskins.  I can see the argument for getting rid of all three of them, along with a reason to keep only Case as a cheap veteran backup.

What we shouldn't do is draft someone in the third round or fourth round and build them up as a just in case QB.  That's the mistake we made with Cousins and Griffin, it didn't matter that Cousins would've taken his job anyway, Griffin being afraid of losing his job to Cousins was a direct reason for the "All in for Week 1" BS.  Also, Reed and Cooley were drafted in the third round, we need a TE, that a starting TE is more of a need then backup QB.

And even if we make it clear to the backup he has no shot for starting job, which we shouldn't do either, we'll have three QBs on the roster at minimum, possibly four.  If this rookie actually is worth anything, he won't last two seconds on the practice squad.  If the goal is practice squad, sign a UDFA instead.  

Most importantly, Haskins is 22 years old.  He doesn't need a backup the same age as him, he needs a veteran to help him grow.  I don't know if that veteran is on the roster, but I know we already have three to pick from.  I hope they don't pick Alex because for his health I hope he retires and we need the cap space, but don't be shocked if it is just him and Haskins on the active roster and we run with two QBs next year strictly from how much we've already invested into both of them.

Some fans already think that Haskins right now is our franchise quarterback.  Over the years many fans thought Gus Ferrotte was going to be a franchise quarterback.

Haskins has a lot to learn and we have to see who will be his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach next year.   We need to spend draft picks on

getting a decent offensive line to protect him.  We may have to try to sign some free agent help if we cannot draft help for him.   Most people think we need

to first draft defensive players.   Time will tell if Haskins can compete with other NFC East quarterbacks.   When RGIII flamed out we had Cousins waiting as the backup.  We need to let Case and Colt move on and find a competent veteran backup.   The new tight end has looked ok so far but we need to draft another tight end who can actually block and catch passes.  Eagles got their tight end, Ertz from Stanford.  For too many years we have had tight ends who could only block or who could only catch passes but were not good blockers.  It will probably take at the very minimum at least two years to improve our personnel on offense. 

The 49ers were 4-12 last year and now they are on fire and will be in the playoffs this year.  All it takes is hiring a good General Manager who knows how to make good trades and a new Head Coach who can structure the offense and defense around the skill talent of the team.   Dallas has at least 12 Pro Bowl caliber players and yet Garrett cannot win with the talent he has been given.  Hope Jerry keeps him as their Head Coach.  

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We already have 3 QBs on the roster behind Haskins. 

Case Keenum

Colt McCoy

Dwayne Haskins

Alex Smith.

Smith might never play again, but he's still part of the team until he retires. And if he's able to play, which is a Monster if I admit, he would be a great vet insurance for Haskins.

23 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Case Keenum

Colt McCoy

Dwayne Haskins

Alex Smith.

Smith might never play again, but he's still part of the team until he retires. And if he's able to play, which is a Monster if I admit, he would be a great vet insurance for Haskins.

???

3 QBs on the roster after Haskins is a total 4, but there's still 3 QBs on the roster after Haskins, which is still true, so not sure what you're correcting. *corking eyebrow, smilng

Only reason they haven't cut Alex is because of the dead cap money and fact he isn't medically cleared yet.  He'd be the highest paid player on the team with it being in our best interest that he never has to play a single game.  Anyone that comes in to replace Bruce I will judge based on how they handle this.  

Edit: I wouldn't be shocked if Snyder was grooming Alex for Bruce's role to get him to retire and get that cap space back and that's where those rumors are actually coming from.

4 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

Colt and Case are FA this year aren't they? Case would be an awesome backup, but I doubt he'd accept that role. 

There's no way we go into next season with only Haskins/Smith on the roster. 

I hope you right, because I will be furious if Alex is on the roster and anyone is the primary backup except Alex.  For real, if he ends up a $20+ million cap hit to be the 3rd string QB, that's entirely possible when we talk about who this possible third QB would or should be.

If Smith is still on the roster, we should make sure he's the one that goes in in case of Haskins being hurt, not even bother with a QB that can compete for Alex job.  But then if that's the case, what's the point for 2020?  If we're talking about drafting a QB to have for next year, do we really need one and for what? 

If this potential third QB who's a rookie ends up starting next year, it'll be because Haskins and Alex got hurt, which case season would be over anyway.  I'm not endorsing the two QB solution going forward, just thinking about this up coming draft and then the 2020 season.  Ideally you have at least one young QB you are grooming for the primary backup or starting role if they aren't starting already.  2020 I'd make an exception simply because of how weird the situation would be if the two veterans are Haskins and Smith.

Your poll is ridiculously limiting so I'm not voting on either option.  I'd encourage everyone to embrace less black and white thinking...

If there's someone they like at QB in later rounds, sure, we need depth across the board, but we need to straight up draft BPA in all our picks because our depth is so bad.  

On 12/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

I would say no, but if we're at #2 and Burrow is there (and Young is not), it wouldn't be an automatic pass from me. I'd really have to think about it. Might be irresponsible not to.

In that scenario Miami, Jax or the Raiders might be willing to trade up and grab Burrow at 2, and in that situation you grab as much as you can and run.  

Haskins has shown enough he’s given you the luxury of not HAVING to pick a QB at 2, even if it is Burrow.  

And I’m positive you could find a trade partner for Burrow. Dolphins might give up 2 of their first round picks this year.  Trade back to 5-ish and grab the best player available. 

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I hope you right, because I will be furious if Alex is on the roster and anyone is the primary backup except Alex.  For real, if he ends up a $20+ million cap hit to be the 3rd string QB, that's entirely possible when we talk about who this possible third QB would or should be.

If Smith is still on the roster, we should make sure he's the one that goes in in case of Haskins being hurt, not even bother with a QB that can compete for Alex job.  But then if that's the case, what's the point for 2020?  If we're talking about drafting a QB to have for next year, do we really need one and for what? 

If this potential third QB who's a rookie ends up starting next year, it'll be because Haskins and Alex got hurt, which case season would be over anyway.  I'm not endorsing the two QB solution going forward, just thinking about this up coming draft and then the 2020 season.  Ideally you have at least one young QB you are grooming for the primary backup or starting role if they aren't starting already.  2020 I'd make an exception simply because of how weird the situation would be if the two veterans are Haskins and Smith.

i think the big question is can Alex play again, and when will we even know. Will he even be durable or competitive? I'd hate to wait till after FA and the draft to find out. 

really is a crazy situation. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

We already have 3 QBs on the roster behind Haskins.  I can see the argument for getting rid of all three of them, along with a reason to keep only Case as a cheap veteran backup.

I believe Keenum and Colt are both on the last year of their contracts and neither is expected to return. 

Alex Smith might not ever be clearer to play again.  

So, basically we have nobody behind Haskins at the moment.

Unless I am wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I believe Keenum and Colt are both on the last year of their contracts and neither is expected to return. 

Unless I am wrong. 

You aren't, I just don't want that somebody to be a rookie, that'll hurt Haskins more then it helps, imo.  And until Alex is not on the roster, he unfortunately is.

???

3 QBs on the roster after Haskins is a total 4, but there's still 3 QBs on the roster after Haskins, which is still true, so not sure what you're correcting. *corking eyebrow, smilng

Yeah sorry I read you wrong... Thought you said we had 3 QBs on the roster.

Though I didn't check PS, but I believe we got one there, so technically that would make it 4 behind Haskins lol :D

53 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Chase Young better have 10 sacks his first year or this place is going to explode.

He'll have 10 sacks on his first play, then will tear both ACL, MCL, Achilles, Pectoral and Shoulder on the second play. That would perfectly fit the Redskins.

Case and Colt are FAs and Smith... well, who knows if he ever plays again.  So that leaves Josh Woodrum?

So yes, we need a qb.  

Haskins has shown enough to be given the starting spot without question (or competition).  I mention this all the time, but I’d love to run uptempo practices.  You can get maybe 50% more reps that way, which affords the chance to get your backups (including backup qbs) valuable reps.  

Not sure about spending a 5th on a backup qb... our last few 5th rounders are Ioannidis, Sprinkle, Settle, and Holcomb/Piersbacher.  So we can possibly/likely find a contributor there.  If the staff loves a qb in that spot though, sure, pick him up.  

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Unless I am wrong. 

Obviously a lot depends on the HC hire and what, if any, continuity there is with scheme. If KOC is retained as the OC (or even HC) I’d like to see if Keenum could be signed to return as the backup. I can’t see him getting starting offers. Even if it’s a new HC/OC Keenum is a good backup option.

I really can’t see Alex Smith passing a physical - there is probably as much chance he is the GM or EVP Football next year as on the roster. So whatever we need to sign a veteran backup and probably spend a late draft pick on a developmental QB.

You aren't, I just don't want that somebody to be a rookie, that'll hurt Haskins more then it helps, imo.  And until Alex is not on the roster, he unfortunately is.

Wait a second, you said we shouldn’t draft any QB on any round because we have 3 QBs on the roster behind Haskins already. 

Except we won’t.  

Not drafting a rookie because you don’t want a rookie backing up a second year guy is fair. But it’s a different reason. 

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Obviously a lot depends on the HC hire and what, if any, continuity there is with scheme. If KOC is retained as the OC (or even HC) I’d like to see if Keenum could be signed to return as the backup. I can’t see him getting starting offers. Even if it’s a new HC/OC Keenum is a good backup option.

I really can’t see Alex Smith passing a physical - there is probably as much chance he is the GM or EVP Football next year as on the roster. So whatever we need to sign a veteran backup and probably spend a late draft pick on a developmental QB.

I agree, but there’s no way Keenum signs until he at least finds out if he could compete for a starting job.

You could do worse than Keenum as a backup.

Colt needs to go run for governor of Texas or something. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Wait a second, you said we shouldn’t draft any QB on any round because we have 3 QBs on the roster behind Haskins already. 

Except we won’t.  

Not drafting a rookie because you don’t want a rookie backing up a second year guy is fair. But it’s a different reason. 

No, I said we shouldn't draft a QB this draft period and listed we have three options to have as Haskins backup already here no matter what we choose to do. 

I honestly don't want any of them to be his backup, scorched earth, let the new coach decide who they want, maybe someone that knows their system already.  Case would be path of least resistance if KOC stays, but I've seen nothing to suggest Alex will get cut, so matching crazy with crazy, no one should be allowed to be the primary backup except the highest paid player on the team.  Just to keep my sanity.

But glad we agree Haskins backup shouldn't be a rookie.  I gave a web of reasoning for that, even if those points can be used elsewhere.  Another one of those things that should be straight forward but can't because this franchise historically won't allow it to be.  I want a completely different veteran backing up Haskins, but I don't believe that's going to happen.  What I want and what will happen aren't the same thing : /

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

This would be the Eagles defense that just held the Cowboys to 9 points and zero touchdowns?

And here he is escaping the pocket.

Yes, the same Eagles that gave up 37 to the Redskins and 31 to the Dolphins.

You're a pro-Haskins guy, and I don't have any issues with that, but you seem to be putting him on a platform that he shouldn't be on.  He started 1 year in college, so he wasn't subjected to all of the in-game experiences and situations to face that would have given him more valuable learning tools to bring over into the NFL.

Now on the pocket presence, you're not gonna stoop to showing a clip of him doing this one or two times; we've all witnessed his lack of pocket awareness and inability to escape the pocket to the point we are screaming to run on many many plays. He takes 1 or 2 steps to avoid the initial pressure, then stops to re-evaluate the field, as if once he escapes a guy he is free and clear. If they get a good QB coach maybe he can get that worked out, but it takes a lot more than a strong arm to play in this league, and right now I'm just saying he needs a lot of work; if you disagree, that's your opinion, its not fact.  

40 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Yes, the same Eagles that gave up 37 to the Redskins and 31 to the Dolphins.

You're a pro-Haskins guy, and I don't have any issues with that, but you seem to be putting him on a platform that he shouldn't be on.  He started 1 year in college, so he wasn't subjected to all of the in-game experiences and situations to face that would have given him more valuable learning tools to bring over into the NFL.

I’m pro Redskins. I was high on his potential during the draft - I was concerned by his early appearances but even then I saw traits I liked. Since he’s been starting I’ve seen consistent improvement and commented on what specifically I saw that made me feel positive about him. The last two performances have been a significant step forwards. 

But it’s a small sample size. The pedestal I’m putting him on is that of a POTENTIAL good starting QB and just maybe a top 10 guy. But that’s a maybe still on both counts. What I am sure though is he will go into the offseason and next season as the undisputed #1 and be given every chance to continue his development. Where that leads we will see.

And the progress will not be linear. There will be rough games, peaks and troughs. We may not be sure this time next year if he’s a franchise type QB - but we will have a solid idea if he’s an NFL starter. 

if you disagree, that's your opinion, its not fact.  

Its 100% just my opinion. But it’s one I’m feeling increasingly comfortable about. 

I would always looks to draft a QB, but we'll see how our board looks.  I gotta feeling Alex Smith will be on the roster next year to collect that money.  As he should.

The best thing about Haskins improvement, is simply the fact that I will be excited to watch him/Skins play next year.  I was more apathetic about this season than any one in recent memory.  What a dull, lifeless organization Dan has erected.  Merry Christmas.

Archived