Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread -Eagles at Redskins

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No. 

But maybe could have worded it better.

Also, I don’t label people as defenders or haters. It’s stupid. 

The people who defend Haskins regardless were quiet about his play, but still, “he’s a rookie! It’s the lines fault!” Etc.

The people who have viewed Haskins the opposite way, today, have been complimentary. 

The people who make posts trying to call out “haters” or “defenders” and don’t see the whole of the situation are some of the worst parts of this forum. 

Watch him play. Make evaluations based on play. That’s my point, really. Labeling people as a hater or defender is asinine and does nothing to improve conversation.

Well yeah, I agree that those labels are reductive and silly, but there are most definitely people who fall roughly into those categories in this fanbase.  I legitimately feel, without naming names,that there are actually people in this fanbase who want him to fail.  There are also people who will defend him basically no matter what he does because they're "die hard" and won't allow themselves to criticize him no matter what.  I don't like labels in general but sometimes they are appropriate.  

I'd like to think 90% of fans fall into a much more rational mindset which you essentially described in your last paragraph, and that's where my thinking lies as well, but you're basically using the phrase "the people who defend Haskins" instead of saying "Haskins defenders" in your very own post.  And those extremes definitely exist, regardless of how much that sucks.  It just seems a little pedantic to worry that much about what word is used to roughly group those people.

Anyway this doesn't seem like a productive area of discussion.  I agree with pretty much everything you said, which is usually the case.

Hail

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not miscommunication. Haskins missed the throw because of horrendous footwork and mechanics.

Next year, he will be the unquestioned starter.  He will get the reps he didn't get this year and he will be much better...I hope.

Just now, mistertim said:

That was miscommunication. Haskins thought sims was going inside but instead Simms went in and then broke back outside. 

This is one of Haskins biggest issues, though. And I’d have to see the play again to be sure, but it looked like he was waiting on Sims to break to throw it. When Sims broke he saw him go inside, so that’s where he threw it. It didn’t look like the throw was based on what the D did.

Again, I am open to changing my perspective on a rewatch. But that’s what I saw.

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Part of me wonders if Urban Meyer had a word with Haskins and if it helped. Seems unlikely, but who knows. He certainly looks different.

I think it's just a combination of improvements, small improvements, to lots of areas of his game starting to come together, along with first team exposure in games and practice 

Just now, Springfield said:

I’ve been painting my bathroom.  Yes, watching paint dry is more fun.

But hey, I think we should stick with this Haskins kid.  Love that we’re beating the Eagles.  But ****, we’re gonna screw up our draft position.

Eh. If Young isn’t available I’m not as concerned with #3 vs. say #6

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Part of me wonders if Urban Meyer had a word with Haskins and if it helped. Seems unlikely, but who knows. He certainly looks different.

Kind of a simple and reductive view of what it takes to succeed at QB in the NFL, isn't it? A small pep talk from his old college coach is all it takes when he lives football all season? 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

This is one of Haskins biggest issues, though. And I’d have to see the play again to be sure, but it looked like he was waiting on Sims to break to throw it. When Sims broke he saw him go inside, so that’s where he threw it. It didn’t look like the throw was based on what the D did.

Again, I am open to changing my perspective on a rewatch. But that’s what I saw.

Yeah it's hard to say for sure. But it looked to me after watching it again like it may have been a choice route. Haskins saw him break inside and thought he was going to continue so he threw it to the spot he thought Simms would end up but instead Simms went inside then broke back outside. 

Just now, TommyWilson said:

I think it's just a combination of improvements, small improvements, to lots of areas of his game starting to come together, along with first team exposure in games and practice 

All of these. And a bad Eagles secondary. And no, those of you ready to pounce, that’s not a knock. Haskins earlier this year would have struggled. He’s doing what he should do. And those kind of games give you confidence and can change the tide of your season and even career.

But let’s not discount how bad the Eagles D has been for Keenum and Haskins to pick apart. And again, that’s good that they did it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’ve been painting my bathroom.  Yes, watching paint dry is more fun.

But hey, I think we should stick with this Haskins kid.  Love that we’re beating the Eagles.  But ****, we’re gonna screw up our draft position.

While i'm all for a better draft pick, if Haskins can catch momentum to finish the season and proves to be our guy going forward, it means we can make different decisions... that's much more valuable than losing the next 3 games and feeling pressed to move on from Haskins because he hasn't shown it.  

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah it's hard to say for sure. But it looked to me after watching it again like it may have been a choice route. Haskins saw him break inside and thought he was going to continue so he threw it to the spot he thought Simms would end up but instead Simms went inside then broke back outside. 

That’s what I described above. The problem there is that choice routes are based on defensive reads. Haskins made his read based on what Sims was doing, which hurts timing. 

He really needs to get more comfortable reading defenses this offseason.

He may have a chance if he gets that figured out.

• Thanks 1

Man, I’m still ticked about that personal foul on Anderson.  It was just so obvious - a guy doesn’t get knocked forward like that on a below the knees hit.  

Bummed about that throw to Sims on the sideline, and I’d like to see fewer almost INTs.  I’ve been digging Haskins’ play for the most part though.  

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Based on what the D did? Your not running option routes that deep in the field and adjusting based on coverage. Clearly Simms add libbed and broke off his route.

I’m encouraged because they were talking it up on sidelines and getting on same page.

Just now, KDawg said:

You're presuming to much here.

That was a read play. Haskins dropped it over the defense into a spot where he expected Simms to be.  

Simms likely made a safety read and took it back out (it also could have been ad-hoc).

I wouldn't say this was a Haskens issue.

This is Simms second start.    With that being said, they are both rookies with 8 starts between the both of them.   

That type of play happened twice in last week's game where Aaron Rodgers bit his receiver's head off from making the wrong read. It happens.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

All of these. And a bad Eagles secondary. And no, those of you ready to pounce, that’s not a knock. Haskins earlier this year would have struggled. He’s doing what he should do. And those kind of games give you confidence and can change the tide of your season and even career.

But let’s not discount how bad the Eagles D has been for Keenum and Haskins to pick apart. And again, that’s good that they did it.

Yeah, good QBs are supposed to be able to pick apart bad secondaries. The fact that Haskins has had a good passing game so far against a poor secondary is a good sign. I completely agree...earlier season Haskins would still have played poorly against this secondary. He's obviously improving every game IMO.

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

While i'm all for a better draft pick, if Haskins can catch momentum to finish the season and proves to be our guy going forward, it means we can make different decisions... that's much more valuable than losing the next 3 games and feeling pressed to move on from Haskins because he hasn't shown it.  

I think he should be given next season regardless ( unless the next coach or GM have other ideas)

• Like 1

I'll tell you the thing that really burn me up about this season. The NFCE is PATHETIC. I mean probably the worst it has ever been historically. If we were even half way decent we should have run away with this division this year. It really shows just how poor we really are. 

3 minutes ago, pico926 said:

Based on what the D did? Your not running option routes that deep in the field and adjusting based on coverage. Clearly Simms add libbed and broke off his route.

I’m encouraged because they were talking it up on sidelines and getting on same page.

Not sure you have the right read here. But not sure I do either, to be honest. So your take is just as valid as mine :ols:

3 minutes ago, dc1 said:

You're presuming to much here.

That was a read play. Haskins dropped it over the defense into a spot where he expected Simms to be.  

Simms likely made a safety read and took it back out (it also could have been ad-hoc).

I wouldn't say this was a Haskens issue.

This is Simms second start.    With that being said, they are both rookies with 8 starts between the both of them.   

That type of play happened twice in last week's game where Aaron Rodgers bit his receiver's head off from making the wrong read. It happens.

You’re presuming just as much as I am :ols:

I didn’t mean THAT play was a Haskins issue. I meant that is one of Haskins issues. He waits for thing to happen and then makes throws. You can almost tell the plays that he reads the D versus the receivers break.

Edited by KDawg