Sign in to follow this  
Cooked Crack

Courier Jounal: Bevin pardons include convicted killer whose brother hosted campaign fundraiser for him

The family of a man pardoned by Gov. Matt Bevin for a homicide and other crimes in a fatal 2014 Knox County home invasion raised $21,500 at a political fundraiser last year to retire debt from Bevin’s 2015 gubernatorial campaign.

The brother and sister-in-law of offender Patrick Brian Baker also gave $4,000 to Bevin’s campaign on the day of the fundraiser, according to the Kentucky Registry of Election Finance database.

A photo of Bevin attending the July 26, 2018, fundraiser at the home of Eric and Kathryn Baker in Corbin was published six days later in a local paper, the News Journal.

Commonwealth’s Attorney Jackie Steele, who prosecuted Patrick Baker and other defendants for the 2014 death of Donald Mills, told The Courier Journal on Wednesday it would be an “understatement to say I am aggrieved” by Bevin’s pardon. 

The Friday order was one of 428 pardons and commutations Bevin issued since his narrow loss in November to Democrat Andy Beshear, who was sworn into office Tuesday.

The beneficiaries include one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner and a third who killed his parents.

Steele noted Baker served two years of a 19-year sentence on his conviction for reckless homicide, robbery, impersonating a peace officer and tampering with evidence.

Steele, who, like Bevin, is a Republican, also cited the fact that two of Baker’s co-defendants are still in prison. "What makes Mr. Baker any different than the other two?" he asked.

Answering that question, he said he believes Baker was pardoned while the others remain locked up because Baker’s family has given generously to Bevin. State records show that Victoria Baker, who lives at the same Corbin address where the fundraiser was held, donated $1,000 in 2015 and that Kathryn Baker gave another $500 to Bevin’s reelection in March.

If not for Bevin’s clemency order, Baker would not have been eligible for parole until July 2027. The minimum date for expiration of his sentence would have been January 2034.

Judge David Williams, the former president of the Kentucky Senate, sentenced Baker in 2017. He said in 30 years of practice: “I’ve never seen a more compelling or complete case … the evidence was just overwhelming.”

Steele said in an email to a Courier Journal reporter that Baker was the most culpable of the defendants because “he was the one who shot Mr. Mills.”

According to his indictment, Baker and co-defendant Christopher Bradley Wagner posed as law enforcement officials to force their way into Mills’ home, where they fought with Mills before Baker shot him.

They also restrained Mills' wife and took various items from the house. Three children were also in the home at the time of the crime.

He pardoned Micah Schoettle, who was convicted last year of raping a 9-year-old child in Kenton County and sentenced last year to 23 years in prison.

Bevin wrote that Schoettle was convicted of a heinous crime "based only on testimony that was not supported by any physical evidence.” He added that the case “was investigated and prosecuted in a manner that was sloppy at best. I do not believe that the charges against Mr. Schoettle are true.”

But that explanation infuriated Kenton County Commonwealth's Attorney Rob Sanders, who prosecuted Schoettle

“So, I guess Matt Bevin thinks he’s smarter than the 12 citizens that heard the actual evidence,” Sanders said. “I’ve got news for him: Child molesting rarely happens in front of witnesses or leaves physical evidence. If we didn’t pursue those cases, 99% of child rapists would never be prosecuted.”

"This irresponsible manipulation of the justice system is why the public’s confidence is constantly eroded," Sanders added. "No one from the Bevin administration gave any warning this was coming. If they had, we’d have shown them why these rapists and killers were behind bars to begin with. These pardons regurgitate false statements of defense attorneys that juries of Kentucky citizens obviously didn’t believe."

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/11/bevin-issued-hundreds-pardons-and-commutations-final-day/4399770002/

😐  Not convinced? This guy did the murder!

In the guy's defense, it looks like the "payoff" happened years before the conviction. Makes me less likely to believe that this was payment for a pardon. 

Maybe more a case of a pardon for a payment. 

Is $21,500 all it costs to get away with murder* these days?  Cause I can raise that in one phone call and I can think of a few folks that need an early look at that celestial glory.

*if you’re white, obv

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

In the guy's defense, it looks like the "payoff" happened years before the conviction. Makes me less likely to believe that this was payment for a pardon. 

Maybe more a case of a pardon for a payment. 

Pretty sure this is incorrect, Larry.  Baker was convicted in 2017 for the 2014 murder reckless homicide.  Baker's family hosted the fundraiser to retire Bevin's campaign debt in July 2018, raising $21K. They personally gave $4,000 to the campaign on that day.

So

1. Murder Crime occurred in 2014.

2. Conviction/sentencing in 2017.

3. Fundraiser/donation by murderer's family in 2018.

4. Pardon this week.

[Edited to replace "murder" with "reckless homicide," whatever that is... Per the indictment, Baker andanother man posed as law enforcement officials to force their way into Mills’ home, where they fought with Mills before Baker shot him. They also restrained Mills' wife and took various items from the house. Three children were also in the home at the time of the crime.]

Edited by Dan T.

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Pretty sure this is incorrect, Larry.  Baker was convicted in 2017 for the 2014 murder.  Baker's family hosted the fundraiser to retire Bevin's campaign debt in July 2018, raising $21K. They personally gave $4,000 to the campaign on that day.

So

1. Murder in 2014.

4. Pardon this week.

There were donations in 2015 but the murder already happened.

Edited by Cooked Crack

3 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

There were donations in 2015 but the murder already happened.

The lesson being give til it hurts, or until your brother gets released.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

What is Bevin's connection the child rapist he pardoned?

Or does he just sympathize with those types?

A pedophile ran for Senate in Alabama and received the full backing of the GOP. The President is on record saying that he enjoyed visiting the dressing room of teenage beauty contests to see underage girls naked. 

Pedophiles have a very special place in the new GOP, along with other types of bottom feeding scum.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Pretty sure this is incorrect, Larry.  Baker was convicted in 2017 for the 2014 murder reckless homicide.  Baker's family hosted the fundraiser to retire Bevin's campaign debt in July 2018, raising $21K. They personally gave $4,000 to the campaign on that day.

So

1. Murder Crime occurred in 2014.

4. Pardon this week.

[Edited to replace "murder" with "reckless homicide," whatever that is... Per the indictment, Baker andanother man posed as law enforcement officials to force their way into Mills’ home, where they fought with Mills before Baker shot him. They also restrained Mills' wife and took various items from the house. Three children were also in the home at the time of the crime.]

I see what it was.  I was seeing "2017 conviction" and "2015 campaign".  Silly me, I assumed fundraisers for a campaign occurred before/during the campaign.  

On 12/12/2019 at 9:35 AM, No Excuses said:

A pedophile ran for Senate in Alabama and received the full backing of the GOP. The President is on record saying that he enjoyed visiting the dressing room of teenage beauty contests to see underage girls naked. 

Pedophiles have a very special place in the new GOP, along with other types of bottom feeding scum.

If he received the full backing of the GOP he'd be a Senator right now.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, StillUnknown said:

What is Bevin's connection the child rapist he pardoned?

Or does he just sympathize with those types?

Actually these may be all related - Bevin was probably trying to hide the pardon of the brother among a bunch of eye brow raisers.

8 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Seems like he’s punishing people for voting him out of office at this point.

Edited by No Excuses

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

In all fairness, the woman beheaded was reportedly a liberal democrat, so no real Americans were killed.

I won't be surprised when we learn all the people he pardoned became super evangelical inside. Minus the guy who's family paid him off.

6 hours ago, nonniey said:

If he received the full backing of the GOP he'd be a Senator right now.

He received the backing of the Party.  

Yes, when the candidate is a pedophile, about 10% of GOP voters are willing to let it change their votes.  

On 12/12/2019 at 10:36 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hey look, another crimes against humanity thread.

Your responses (at least on first instinct)  concerning issues of a... certain nature, never cease to be interesting.  I wonder if I am the only one that notices this.