Sign in to follow this  
Destino

CNN: Man who ate the $120,000 banana art installation says he isn't sorry and did it to create art

Recommended Posts

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/david-datuna-banana-art-basel-trnd/index.html
 

Quote
When a banana that was duct taped to a wall sold for $120,000, not everyone understood the artistic inspiration behind the piece.
 
But one hungry artist did.
 
David Datuna, an installation and performance artist from Georgia, peeled off the art piece from the wall on Saturday and ate it while hundreds of stunned onlookers watched. 
 
And he's far from apologetic. 
 
"It wasn't vandalism, it was art performance from me and absolutely I am not sorry," Datuna said during a press conference on Monday.


This is, somehow, not an onion article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Art is whatever you can get away with"

Marshall McCluhan, but usually attributed to Andy Warhol who proved it.

 

~Bang

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bang said:

"Art is whatever you can get away with"

Marshall McCluhan, but usually attributed to Andy Warhol who proved it.

 

~Bang

“There’s a sucker born every minute.”

 

speaking of which, I want to know more about the person that paid 120k for a banana duct taped to a wall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what i read .. the artist then ate the banana, so they buyer paid for a piece of duct tape.

 

~Bang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bang said:

From what i read .. the artist then ate the banana, so they buyer paid for a piece of duct tape.

 

~Bang

A different artist ate the banana.  Because... 

 

Quote

“This is how artists talk with each other. We talk by art. This was his art and this was my performance."


More of us should talk to our peers by eating their low effort work product.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's more fun info: https://people.com/human-interest/performance-artist-eats-banana-art-miami-beach-art-basel/

 



However, it turns out that even by literally eating the artwork, Datuna’s actions did nothing to change its value.

 

“He did not destroy the artwork,” gallery spokesman Lucien Terras told The Miami Herald, noting that the banana was always meant to be replaced when necessary. The outlet also noted that the work came with a certificate of authenticity, which was what collectors were really purchasing.

 

“Certificates of authenticity are crucial in the buying and selling of conceptual art,” gallery spokeswoman Katherine Wisniewski tells PEOPLE. “ ‘Comedian’ has a COA that contains exact instructions for installation and authenticates that the work is by Maurizio Cattelan. Without a COA, a piece of conceptual artwork is nothing more than its material representation.”

 

But here's the REALLY fun part:

 

Cattelan made “Comedian” in 3 editions, the spokesperson added, noting that the editions sold for between $120-$150K.

 

The original artist, Cattelan, SOLD IT THREE TIMES ALREADY TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, techboy said:

The original artist, Cattelan, SOLD IT THREE TIMES ALREADY TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

And here I've been working for The Man like a sucker.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gone through a lot of my life thinking most modern and conceptual artists (both the artists themselves and the consumers) are knuckle dragging morons.  This story does nothing to change that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I really want to know is, what do you have to DO to get to that level where someone's paying 120k for a banana duct taped to a wall.  What other ridiculous **** has this guy done to legitimize himself in the art world to reach this point?

 

I want to shoot apples on a piece of wood with a nail gun and roll up to a museum and see if they'll let me hang it up there.  Like Hedberg said, the only way I could get my last album in stores is to take it in and leave it.  Seriously though, I'd love to know how an artist gets to a level where they can do something like that and get away with it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Forehead said:

I've gone through a lot of my life thinking most modern and conceptual artists (both the artists themselves and the consumers) are knuckle dragging morons.  This story does nothing to change that.

 

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What I really want to know is, what do you have to DO to get to that level where someone's paying 120k for a banana duct taped to a wall.  What other ridiculous **** has this guy done to legitimize himself in the art world to reach this point?

 

I want to shoot apples on a piece of wood with a nail gun and roll up to a museum and see if they'll let me hang it up there.  Like Hedberg said, the only way I could get my last album in stores is to take it in and leave it.  Seriously though, I'd love to know how an artist gets to a level where they can do something like that and get away with it.

 

 

It's pretty easy to get to that level when you have the right connections. Get a good money laundering service and people will pay for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.