Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith's future with the team....

On 12/15/2019 at 9:20 AM, cakmoney61 said:

And what was the Chief's compensation?  A promising young DB and a third-round pick?  This just gets better and better the more I think about it.😠

That was a bad trade at the time, and was only worse after his injury.  But I think we need a little perspective on this, bc it's not as bad as some ppl make it out to be, and maybe we get a little closure and move on.  

The cap space we are using on him hurt us more than what we gave up to get him. 

The assets we have up stung at the time, but it ended up being 2 replaceable players.  We gave up Kendall Fuller, who was doing well for us, but really disappointed in KC and they are probably going to let him walk.  We can probably get him back if we really want.  We also gave up the 78th pick who turned out to be Malik Jefferson, who is on his 3rd team in 3 years, now on a practice squad.  I know there were some quality guys still on the board, but hindsight is 20/20, you can't expect the Redskins to have taken the player that we all know now in 2020 is the best player.  Odds are we would have taken another very replaceable player.  So we need to stop acting as if we gave up Jeff bagwell for Larry Anderson.

The cap space he has used and is using is definitely significant, but do you really think it blocked us from signing an impact player or two that would have put us over the top?  If so, I have some beautiful oceanfront property in kansas to sell you.  If anything, it made a 6-10 team 3-13 instead, and led to chase young and Bruce getting canned.

We gave him a huge contract, and it took up a lot of room the past 2 years, and will eat a nice chunk when we get out of it.  We will have a lot of cap space in 2020, and I don't think we are gonna be big spenders in FA as we try to assess our own guys as we transition to a new defense and new coaches.  We can get out of it with minimal impact if we choose.  We lose 10 mil in cap room and lose a solid mentor for Haskins, and we can wipe the slate clean ( I'm assuming he can pass a physical by Sept 1)

So while I definitely think it was a bad move, and I hope we don't make another similar bad move, I think the negative impact of this trade is overblown by many.  

15 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

Meaning Dan Snyder, Ron Rivera, and Dwayne Haskins?

I see what you did there.  I hope they’re as smart as the rest of us.  I’m mostly convinced they are.

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

We lose 10 mil in cap room and lose a solid mentor for Haskins, and we can wipe the slate clean ( I'm assuming he can pass a physical by Sept 1)

So while I definitely think it was a bad move, and I hope we don't make another similar bad move, I think the negative impact of this trade is overblown by many.  

If he can pass a physical by September 1st, there's a slim chance Nagy will trade for him. Rumour mill is Chicago want either Smith or Dalton to bail them out of the Trubisky show.

Smith put up his best career numbers under Nagy so there'd likely be mutual interest. 

Maybe Smith can do a trade and restructure to allow the Bears to fit him into the cap if he is serious about playing again and thinks Nagy will start him.

I'd be happy to trade for something nominal (swapping 7th rounders or similar) to get that contract off the books. I'd be sad to lose him from the locker room as he's a great guy to have in there, but ultimately knowing that contract was off the books would let us future plan and maybe bring someone in on a frontloaded deal who could fill the leadership void and be a more impactful position/player than a $16 million backup QB.

Obviously it's a moon shot but maybe we'll get lucky.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I see what you did there.  I hope they’re as smart as the rest of us.  I’m mostly convinced they are.

I hope so, because this needs to be the Dwayne Haskins show....I can't go back to that "dont win the game, just keep from losing the game" BS......

• Like 2
8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Wonder what they'd give up for him, Higskin?

If true, I doubt much RWJ and really good dude but if his Nagy connection helps get a cap dump, I'm all for it!

31 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

If true, I doubt much RWJ and really good dude but if his Nagy connection helps get a cap dump, I'm all for it!

Yes, me too. 

8 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

That was a bad trade at the time, and was only worse after his injury.  But I think we need a little perspective on this, bc it's not as bad as some ppl make it out to be, and maybe we get a little closure and move on.  

The cap space we are using on him hurt us more than what we gave up to get him. 

The cap space he has used and is using is definitely significant, but do you really think it blocked us from signing an impact player or two that would have put us over the top?  If so, I have some beautiful oceanfront property in kansas to sell you.  If anything, it made a 6-10 team 3-13 instead, and led to chase young and Bruce getting canned.

I appreciate your positive attitude.  For sure, hindsight is 20/20.  I didn't like what the Redskins gave up at the time, but that was water under the bridge.  What made the trade bad for me was his play at QB.  Smith was horrific.  They were 6-3 (6-4?) because of him, because their record should have been better.  His ultra pedestrian play hurt the offense week after week.

The trade itself nor his possible career ending injury were major problems for me.  His play on the field, however, was shockingly bad and a revelation.  I was not expecting that when they traded for him.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I think the negative impact of this trade is overblown by many.  

The the impact of his terrible play is overlooked by many because: he wasn't Kirk Cousins (he "wanted to be here") and "we were 6-3!"

Alex needs to retire. He attempts a comeback; he will probably get injured again and this time it could be worse. He could end up with injuries that will plague him for the rest of his life.

Retire. You had an ok career. If want to be involved in football, become a coach.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

The the impact of his terrible play is overlooked by many because: he wasn't Kirk Cousins (he "wanted to be here") and "we were 6-3!"

I agree, his play was pretty terrible.  He left a lot of points on the field.  We were lucky to be 6-3 heading into the Houston game.  

I'm not disputing that it was a bad trade, and I'm not disputing he wasn't very good.   I just think the negative impact from that trade is exaggerated.  If anything, it took a mediocre team and led them to be a little worse, and we are getting Chase young out of it, along with showing Bruce the door.  

I don't have a strong opinion either way as far as keeping him on the roster or not.  Keeping him means we have a great mentor for DH and short term cap relief (which we probably won't really need in 2020, but can roll over).  Cutting him means shedding the contract and moving on, which will help the 2021 cap and beyond.  

We aren't getting any decent compensation from anyone for Smith considering the extent of the injury and the size of the contract.  Maybe swapping our 7th for someone's 6th, and I'd be surprised even at that.

Also, I am against having AS start.  I'd like to see DH out there and take his lumps if need be.  We need to see if he is a franchise QB or not, starting a placeholder such as AS in year 2 of Haskins deal is a waste.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Alex needs to retire. He attempts a comeback; he will probably get injured again and this time it could be worse. He could end up with injuries that will plague him for the rest of his life.

Retire. You had an ok career. If want to be involved in football, become a coach.

I'm pretty sure that would increase the cost to us, so we do not want him to do that yet

10 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm pretty sure that would increase the cost to us, so we do not want him to do that yet

Unless they work out some sort of retirement deal, but I don't know what the CBA has (if anything) to say about that. He could be doing a "Theismann," making all the right gestures for insurance purposes, only knowing all this time that he's finished.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

He isn't going to retire and give up $40 million dollars.  

He is either going to be on the Redskins, if he's healthy enough, could be traded, or he will be released.  

If he is released, he can choose to retire after he collects his money.

The first question is, is he ever going to be healthy enough to play again.  If so, then there are options.  If not, he's just an anchor on the cap for another year.  A parting gift from Bruce. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bulletin:

Back from the dead...

Coach Ron resuscitates Alex Smith.

Should be a fun off season of some spirited debates ;) Probably a 85-15 split with 85% wanting Haskins to be the unquestioned starter and the rest being mixed with wanting competition and it be earned. 

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

Bulletin:

Back from the dead...

Coach Ron resuscitates Alex Smith.

Should be a fun off season of some spirited debates ;) Probably a 85-15 split with 85% wanting Haskins to be the unquestioned starter and the rest being mixed with wanting competition and it be earned. 

I heard Rivera's interview but also some of the beat guys who have talked about what they are hearing.   Based on all of that, I get the impression Alex's comeback would be a remarkable story but somewhat unexpected.  He wants it bad.  But it sounds like there is some doubt in that building that he pulls it off.

It would be quite the contrast, if he did pull it off.  Haskins IMO has mega talent but plenty have questioned some of his intangibles.  Alex isn't mega gifted talent wise but brimming with intangibles.   I think it would be a win win for Alex to come back.  For Alex it would be a nice personal story for him.  As for Haskins, I get the impression that he is fueled more so by external motivational forces versus internal ones -- in other words, I think he's competitive and is spurred by actual competition. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/27/andy-reid-ride-work-super-bowl-liv-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

Alex Smith was Reid’s first quarterback in Kansas City, and he went 53-27 in five seasons as a Chief, with a stellar 102-33 touchdown-to-interception ratio, making the playoffs in four of five seasons. Smith was a dream student, leader and executor of the offense. But he won only one playoff game. He had a ceiling, and it looked like he’d reached it. There was a drumbeat inside the organization—and certainly in the stands at Arrowhead Stadium—to upgrade at quarterback as 2016 turned into 2017. As Reid said, “Alex is no dummy.” He could feel it too.

One day in the spring of 2016—after the third of Smith’s five years as starter—Reid walked down to the scouting area and saw co-director of player personnel Brett Veach studying some tape. “I’m watching our next quarterback,” Veach told Reid. It was tape of Mahomes as a Texas Tech sophomore. Reid watched the strong arm and command and mobility of Mahomes for five or 10 minutes. “Coach,” Veach said, “I can only imagine what he’d do in this offense.”

...Listen,” Reid said. “I love Alex Smith. Not because he’s just a great football player. But great person. Highly, highly intelligent. One of the best I’d ever been around. I mean, I wish I would’ve had him when he was younger in this offense. He would’ve been spectacular. Even more so than what he was. Go back and look at what he did here for those few years. We were bringing Pat Mahomes in. We were drafting him to sit for a year or two potentially, to learn from Alex and these coaches that we’ve got . . . Didn’t ask Alex to teach him. But Alex opened it up to do that. He learned, followed him everywhere. Whether it was talking about how he took his notes in the classroom to how he trained to what he did when he went home to study. Everything. Every little thing that goes into being a great quarterback in the NFL. The whole time, Alex knowing that this kid had talent just by watching him practice . . . Alex had his best year with this kid on his tail, in theory.”

Reid got 538 texts in the hours after Kansas City’s AFC Championship victory over Tennessee last week. One was from Alex Smith.

Reid recalls, “[Alex] goes, ‘Phenomenal win. The kid was unbelievable.’ He’s his biggest fan. That’s what’s weird about it. And Patrick’s his biggest fan.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 4

He's conquered potential amputation and even death.

So relatively speaking, compared to that, it would feel like nothing to him psychologically to come back and play football.

He risked his life, to deny amputation and save his leg. So ya think he isn't motivated to play football ?

It would be one of the greatest comeback stories in sports, if he were to do that.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/28612793/redskins-qb-alex-smith-very-much-lucky-alive-broken-leg

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

There needs to be insurance policies in place for teams and players in situations like this. The team should be able to cut him without it affecting the cap + Alex gets his money. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, dyst said:

There needs to be insurance policies in place for teams and players in situations like this. The team should be able to cut him without it affecting the cap + Alex gets his money. 

they took a small one out

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But IIRC it only kicks in if Alex is unable to pass a physical this year. 

That's a lame policy then. It should kick in if he can't pass a physical for any year, like the last one.