Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The { Possibly } Sweetest Game Of The Year

skins island connection

Football, at least for this year, has not really panned out the way Redskin fans would like, myself included.

Disappointing, ugly, poor, lackluster, are just some of the words used to describe the feelings fans have.

BUT, it did give me a little thinking time, and the possibility of a certain scenario slowly developing crept into my clouded brain, and as the season has not turned out the way we would all like, we may as well enjoy a little discussion on preferences of fans of the Redskins.

So, the Cowboys are currently in a tailspin, and in danger of not only losing the NFC East championship, but missing the playoffs altogether. The Redskins are in a much worse position.

The question is, with the heat that the Cowboys HC is feeling, which scenario would you prefer, and I do have to ask why.

So here it is.

Going into week 17, the Cowboys and Redskins somehow have managed to end up battling for the NFC East division. Winner takes all.

Would you prefer;

1. beating the Cowboys and winning the division, then finding out that Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett was fired after the game by a super-ticked off Jerry Jones. The Redskins get into the playoffs but are bounced out in the wildcard round in a blow-out.

2. losing to the Cowboys, but in next year's NFL draft, some trades are made and the Redskins get in the top 2 overall slot, and the player you really want is available.

Knowing how this season has played out, I thought it might be a little interesting to see some of the answers and why they chose the way they did.

I'd prefer #1. If trades are made, we'd be giving up picks to get to the top 2. With Chase Young in the market, that's a lot of picks. No thank you. I'd much rather spoiling the Cowboys season, since our chances at a good draft pick are probably spoiled anyway.

Option #1 And it’s not even open to debate. 

Any other answer is wrong.

Dead wrong! 

NO draft pick is guaranteed to work out in the pros. 

We need ALL the picks we can get to continue to fill all the holes we have on this roster. 

You NEVER turn down the chance to not only get to the playoffs, but win the division as tough as the NFL is each and every season to succeed in. This is the 88th season of Redskins football. In that time, we’ve won the Division a whopping FIFTEEN times. With only THREE NFC East titles in the 28 years since the las Lombardi. These things are EXCESSIVELY hard to win. 

And that’s before you even get to the Redskins/ Cowboys scenario and what would be one of the best and sweetest finishes to a regular season in our entire, storied history.

Anyone saying otherwise, for whatever reason, be it to get rid of Allen et al, give your heads a SERIOUS wobble! 

if you don’t want exciting success like in that scenario, not least after the year we’ve had, I honestly don’t understand what you get out of being a football fan?

Hal.

Agreed with the majority here.  While I always like a good win against Dallas, what is the point?  It will only hurt us for the future in that we have a lower draft pick and possibly allowing Bruce to remain.  Allowing Bruce to remain means that possibly talented head coaches go elsewhere.  We have needed to explode and rebuild this team for sometime and at the beginning of the year, we had a good chance to with trading Trent.  Now we are sitting with a falling 1st rounder and no 2nd round pick.  Yes, draft picks are not guaranteed but it still is a valuable part of building a team.

We have to stop being short sighted.  

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

You NEVER turn down the chance to not only get to the playoffs, but win the division as tough as the NFL is each and every season to succeed in. This is the 88th season of Redskins football. In that time, we’ve won the Division a whopping FIFTEEN times. With only THREE NFC East titles in the 28 years since the las Lombardi. These things are EXCESSIVELY hard to win. 

GHH, with all due respect, the reason we've only won the division three times in the past 28 seasons isnt because of any excessive difficulty.

The reason is because we've sucked ass.

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

GHH, with all due respect, the reason we've only won the division three times in the past 28 seasons isnt because of any excessive difficulty.

The reason is because we've sucked ass.

It's all relative though bud. The same way any win this year, be it against Miami or whomever, has worth down to how hard the NFL is to win in with so few games a season. 

Turning down a Division title when we're so bereft of them to me is as asinine and totally foreign to being a fan as it gets. 

Hail. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. S said:

Agreed with the majority here.  While I always like a good win against Dallas, what is the point?  It will only hurt us for the future in that we have a lower draft pick and possibly allowing Bruce to remain.  Allowing Bruce to remain means that possibly talented head coaches go elsewhere.  We have needed to explode and rebuild this team for sometime and at the beginning of the year, we had a good chance to with trading Trent.  Now we are sitting with a falling 1st rounder and no 2nd round pick.  Yes, draft picks are not guaranteed but it still is a valuable part of building a team.

We have to stop being short sighted.  

I don’t care about draft picks or beating Dallas.  Give me a long term fix.  A couple of wins to go to 3-9 and some fans  on here react like Pavlov’s dogs.  Which I’m sure make Dan and Bruce happy.

Time to stop the bandaid fixes and address the real issues.  Otherwise we’ll be having the same conversations next year.

Option 3:

Win the division, win the Super Bowl, Allen gets fired or he retires anyways, we are given the #1 overall pick because the league feels bad for the franchise for having to deal with Bruce Allen for so long.

Any other answer is wrong.

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Option #1 And it’s not even open to debate. 

Any other answer is wrong.

Dead wrong! 

NO draft pick is guaranteed to work out in the pros. 

We need ALL the picks we can get to continue to fill all the holes we have on this roster. 

And that’s before you even get to the Redskins/ Cowboys scenario and what would be one of the best and sweetest finishes to a regular season in our entire, storied history.

Anyone saying otherwise, for whatever reason, be it to get rid of Allen et al, give your heads a SERIOUS wobble! 

if you don’t want exciting success like in that scenario, not least after the year we’ve had, I honestly don’t understand what you get out of being a football fan?

Hal.

With all due respect, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this issue.

Winning the division amounts to nothing except minor bragging rights for a year.  We drop lower in the draft order and Allen could be back to torture us again.  SnyderCo is given ammunition to get his stadium deal.

Losing improves our draft and gives Snyder more justification to move on from Allen.

I live to beat Dallas and would love to ruin their season, but I'm looking long term.

Agree in general GHH, but just not this season. I understand the argument that winning the division would mean that we ended on a six game winning streak and thus *should* be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs, winning a division at 7-9 does not sit well with me. Especially since we would be getting a home playoff game we don't deserve (neither will the Cowboys or Eagles).

Given the choices, I would pick #1, mainly because, as others said, it would take too much to move to the #2 pick. The Garrett angle I can care less about, as he is toast after the season regardless.

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t give a **** about the cowboys. Fix our own house first and actually field a professional caliber team and then we can worry about what other teams in the division are doing. 

A meaningless win against Dallas would only hurt us in the long run. 

I understand your point of view, but disagree with it.

For me, the draft is something that happens next season and I will enjoy it then, whatever position we end up. Right now, we are still playing football and have a chance to win the division, albeit a very small chance. The whole point of playing competitive games is to win and I could never root for a loss, especially against the cowboys.

Also, calling a possible win 'meaningless' is a strange choice of words to me. It would be a big positive for the players, coaches and a lot of fans (myself included). So a win would have meaning. Even in regards to draft position, a win would still have meaning, although in a negative sense.

11 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

With all due respect, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this issue.

Winning the division amounts to nothing except minor bragging rights for a year.  We drop lower in the draft order and Allen could be back to torture us again.  SnyderCo is given ammunition to get his stadium deal.

Losing improves our draft and gives Snyder more justification to move on from Allen.

I live to beat Dallas and would love to ruin their season, but I'm looking long term.

That's sound mate. Difference of opinion is good and it would be a boring board if everyone agreed. Appreciate and understand the explanation. Even if I don't agree. 

I just don't personally see the point of watching or playing the games if you ultimately don't want to win silverware. (I know the Lombardi is the be-all and end-all but if you're not even in the dance .....). 

In the hypothetical proposed by the OP, turning down a Divisional title, and a shot in the paloffs ..... That's just so foreign to me as a match-going fan who follows his other sporting love all over the World I can't begin to tell you. 

Hail. 

Did yall read the OP? He said "some trades" to get a #2 pick.

When we already dont have a second round pick.

This should be easy yall.  I remember the Griffin trade, there's not a single player in this draft I would make that sacrifice for.

And yes, I'd rather bounce Dallas out the playoffs in their stadium regardless of the draft slot.  That's what rivalries are all about, pissing off your rival.

Sheehan just doubled down about a win in GB likely saves Bruce's job.  I am not rooting for a win.  I can't actively root for a loss in the process of a game.  So on reflex when the game starts I root on the team.  But when its over I want a loss.

This team has mastered the art of winning the battle to lose the war.  I want the reverse.  Lose a battle to win the war. 

Having said that, I got no problem with anyone who feels differently.  Fans should be able to rock anyway that makes them happy.  For me I'd be cringing coming into another season with this dude at the helm so I'll take a little pain to hopefully win the war.

The difference in draft position between just missing the playoffs and getting smoked in the wildcard round is like 6 spots at most so technically if we gotta sell the farm to move up we could have options a and b if we wanted. 

A better hypothetical for option b is to have us lose the rest of our games and get the second pick organically.

Under these circumstances I just dont see how on earth you wouldn't choose option

A.

I think many are not answering the actual question the OP posed - hear me out.

The position of the OP is that we would have already won enough games to get to the win and you are in scenario. So when answering the question, it's not from where we are now do you want to win enough to be in contention then win or lose. The assumption is you are already there. So the record has to already be 6-9. So it's do you want 6-10 or 7-9 and PO game. 

I say this because people are talking these big drops in draft position and Bruce Allen being kept or fired. If the team gets to a divisional game chance with dallast, bruce is going no where win or lose that game. So you can take that out of the equation. If the team wins the next 3 games he is locked in for next year, period. 

Next is draft position. At 6-9, a loss puts you maybe in the top 15, like 13 to 15. So you have already played yourself out of a top 5 pick. A win does automatically put you at 20 at best (likely 20 unless you win a PO game since we would be the only team with a losing record). Really pushing the potential spread - 12 to 20. This is the consequence of winning or losing.

Sure, there is a talent difference, and it applies throughout the draft. But a win against dallast knocking them out of the POs to me is worth 6 to 8 spots in the middle of the draft. Once you get past the first 5 or so, the talent really levels out. I get the alternative argument i just have a hard time rooting for a loss of any kind, much less a loss to dallast! 

Archived