Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ever met any music stars?

ThePackisback

My wife & I rode the elevator in the Ritz Carlton Central Park South with Edgar Winter. 

Not a musician but I met Mohammad Ali in the Cincinnati Airport. He was walking on the moving walker headed towards his gate. His wife was about 10 paces behind him. I turned around & followed him. He had a group of 5-6 peeps around him shaking his hand. I pushed through them, reached out my hand and said "Hi, Champ, I'm a huge fan." He was seated, looked up at me, pointed at my well coiffed 'do and said "Pretty boy." I said, "Not me Champ. You are!" He started laughing. This was before cellphones so I didn't get any pics. 

Alan Thornton of Nantucket...he autographed my boobs.

Steve Stone of ARS, with the sound guy Jerry who was always a great tipper...he worked for Kansas too, and brought Steve Walsh in one night for about 5 minutes to meet me...I was absolutely floored. 

Dave Mustaine tossed me the burgundy (!!) corduroy shirt he was wearing during a show at International Ballroom...I still wear it. 💖

(I'd like to say I met Steve Vai, but I was only close enough to touch him throughout an entire show. Lots of eye contact, something I'll never forget.)

Depeche Mode and The The...they let us "security folks" get some dinner in their catering room. I had no idea about Dave Gahan's heroin addiction at the time, he was super nice. 

Billy Ray Cyrus. I had the area behind the stage where they dropped off all the gifts people brought him, boxes of stuff...he said it was like Christmas every day. Went upstairs with him to the blue room where he did a greet/photo meeting with fans, people followed him like the Dead, and he knew their names & details about their lives. 👍He also had a crazy rider...diet Dr. Pepper & they got him the wrong peanut butter, which caused quite the kerfuffle. 🙄

Lenny Kravitz and his guitarist Craig Ross, got autographs. His backstage was full of people...I met Emily & Amy (Indigo Girls) and forgot about everyone else, including members of REM.:ols:

The opening act for Lenny was Blind Melon, met Shannon Houn at the soundboard. 😢

I was set up to have Aretha Franklin's dressing room because I was the biggest fan out of all of us, but she wanted our biggest black guy, Bo. He said he couldn't have eaten a sandwich the size he saw her finish. She talked about weight gain during the show...said she had smoked cigarettes most of her life and the weight came on when she quit, so "have something to do with your hands, people!" 

Got a list of wrestlers, Braves, & Falcons too. 

15 hours ago, drowland said:

Ha...back in the mid 90s when I was in college and on a trip to Miami with some friends we saw him and his band at a Denny's.  I had no clue who they were since it was before their "Sweet Dreams" cover hit MTV, but I'm like who are these freaks throwing pie at each other in the parking lot and my buddy recognized them and said oh that's Marilyn Manson.  

LOL, every time I hear Marilyn Manson's name, I think of this: https://entertainment.theonion.com/marilyn-manson-now-going-door-to-door-trying-to-shock-p-1819565904

He always seemed like he was trying a bit too hard to offend.

I've met a bunch of pretty prominent jazz musicians, all of whom have been super nice.

Years ago, I twice hung out with Hootie and the Blowfish (everyone except Darius Rucker). Woman I was dating at the time was an entertainment lawyer, and they were clients. Just an atrocious band but super nice dudes. Skins fans too!

Not a rock star, but I met Olga Kern after a concert a few years ago (absolutely amazing classical pianist). She was super nice, super gorgeous, and super tall (well not SUPER tall but as I'm only 5'8 she was damn tall to me...probably 6 foot, but she was in heels as well so probably 6'3 or so). 

16 hours ago, c slag said:

Grew up in the same neighborhood with the members of the 90s band Live 

I'd be interested in hearing more about these guys, this was one of my favorite bands in high school.  Throwing Copper was definitely on my top whatever list.

7 hours ago, Forehead said:

I'd be interested in hearing more about these guys, this was one of my favorite bands in high school.  Throwing Copper was definitely on my top whatever list.

They grew up in York Pennsylvania and when they were a band at William Penn High School thier original name was "Public Affection" because  the members of the band were told by a teacher "no display of public affection in the hallway " as they were caught kissing thier girlfriends 

They own a recording studio/ real estate development in York Pennsylvania still to this day

Think Loud Studios is the name of it

Hung out talking to Joe Walsh for about 60-90 minutes after his show at an outdoor amphitheater in Detroit's northern suburbs.

In the late 80's, I was at U-Michigan dating a girl whose older brother was the top morning drive time DJ in Los Angeles. The older brother knew Joe, so when he came to Detroit for a show, my girlfriend and I got backstage passes. She had previously met Rick the Bass Player and they were friendly in a "kid sister of my buddy" kind of way.

So we're backstage hanging out in the Green Room, and it's time to go. Rick told us the hotel they were staying at (an unremarkable 2-3 star kind of place nearby like a Hampton Inn or something) and told us to come by. Then Joe asked a bunch of us to crowd around him so he could make it to the limo without people being able to grab him. Seemed like he'd had a bad experience. So we all crowded around him, walked him to his limo, girlfriend and I walked to my car, and we drove over to the hotel.

It was a suite with a kitchen area, a living room, and whatever back bedroom(s). Joe was sitting at the table in the kitchen area with his girlfriend and his "Uncle V" (Vern? hard to remember) who was Joe's legit Uncle, a professor at Michigan State. When my girlfriend and I walked in, Rick invited us over to the table, reminded Joe who my girlfriend is, and we sat down. Swear to Jebus Joe was at the head of the table and somehow I ended up at the corner of the table right next to him.

So we all hung out, drank some beers, and talked for 60-90 minutes. The few things I remember from the conversation:

Joe is a genuinely cool, nice, and decent human being. Genuinely worried about other people in the abstract sense and even more in the people-around-him sense

Joe's girlfriend was one of the two most beautiful women I've seen in person in my 51 years on this planet. Not in a glamorous, Loni Anderson made-up kind of way, but in a genuinely beautiful gorgeous kind of way. The other is Heather Locklear, who I once saw sitting at a table with some friends in a bar I was at in Los Angeles. TV cameras just don't do Heather justice if you can believe it.

At one point Rick lit a joint. This was the 80's, a different time ("just say no"). Joe looked at my girlfriend, looked at Rick, shook his head, and Rick put the joint away 😂

If the Big One hits in LA, Joe planned to fill his bathtub with water. That conversation always stayed with me, and I have one of these in my house to this day: https://www.thereadystore.com/65-gallon-bathtub-water-container-comparable-to-water-bob

There are basic human dignities that people shouldn't have to pay money for. And that is why toilet paper ought to be given out for free

Uncle V was incredibly smart about a lot of things, and Joe & Rick quizzed him about stuff for a good 20 minutes. At one point Joe said "We ought to do this as a radio bit with listeners calling in to ask questions. We'll call it 'Ask Uncle V.'" A year or two later when Joe came back to town they did it on one of the Detroit rock stations

The story came out somehow (don't remember the context) that Joe had been in a bar somewhere, playing on the stage with Eric Clapton. Wasn't a planned show or anything, they were just there and decided to jam. The girlfriend (super-cool gal) told the story with the usual "there he was, goofing around with his buds, when I was trying to get him out the door because we were late to get somewhere" kind of vibe--like it was a normal situation and not freakin Joe Walsh jamming with freakin Eric Clapton!

Joe obviously has a reputation as a partier, but he wasn't really involved with the party action going on in the living room area. I think mostly because Uncle V was there. For me, there as the hanger-on-to-the-hanger-on, it was an incredible stroke of luck to be around for that!

Played Rocklahoma in 2007, met quite a few of the old 80s hair band legends. 

Had breakfest with Steven Adler(Guns N Roses) he was pretty cool. Joe Leste (Bang Tango, Beautiful Creatures) stole a bottle of JD from another local band and hung out wish us for awhile. 

Dee Snider and Geoff Tate were super cool and hung out backstage a bit. Stephen Percy(RATT) was actually backstage before our set drinking beer with us at 11am and stayed to watch us play.

One guy that was not cool. Vince Neil. Also witnessed someone beat up the singer for Faster ****cats backstage. The singer for Enuff Z Nuff tried to steal my other guitar players wife.

It was definitely a 3 day weekend well above our pay grade. lol.  

Got to hang with Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and Joey Kramer in 1994 in Hershey. It was their last show before Woodstock 94. Really cool guys, super nice. They were at the Hershey Chocolate Factory about 5 hours before the concert. My friend, mom, cousin, and I got to go on the Hershey Chocolate Factory ride after chatting them up for about 30 minutes. 

Met all the guys from Tesla a few times. Really nice down to Earth guys. Got to jam with them a bit on their bus in Pittsburgh during their reunion tour in the early 2000s. Frank Hannon is just one hell of a nice guy, they all are, but the dude is such a music geek. Can't really say enough how great he is. The rest of the band were super nice, even Tommy Skeoch, who others have not had so much luck.

The band Crobot is another group of the coolest guys. The singer grew up about 20 minutes from me. The last couple of years, they've had some momentum. They deserve it. Brandon is one hell of a singer. Bishop is a cool, funky, groovy guitarist. Do miss the Figueroa brothers in the band. Jake is one hell of a bass player. Hope he gets life straightened out.

Jackyl is another band who I've got to spend some time with. Great guys, but musically not everyone's cup of tea. When they tour, they still do meet and greets for free. That's rare these days. After the meet and greet, hang around a bit, they'll come out and have a beer with fans that hung around, shoot some pool. They're not wild and crazy, but just nice dudes.

Last, met Jimmy Page and Robert Plant back during the Unledded tour in Philly. It was just a passing, quick hello and expressed appreciation for them touring together. They were in a hurry to get to sound check. Was really appreciative for the 30-45 seconds they gave my friends and me. 

Years ago back when I had spare time I used to make music videos of sports/movies using my favorite songs and many of them used my favorite band Sevendust. One particular video I made of Bruce Lee using their song "Hero" went viral and spread all over the place and racked up millions of views on Youtube. The band actually saw it, loved it and tracked me down on my website and e-mailed me. First I thought it was a joke until I checked my IP tracker and saw a lot of hits from Peachtree Studios had visited my site. I knew that's where they recorded their music so it hit me that the e-mail was real. So we wrote back and forth and they invited me out to the next concert near my area which just happened to be 3 days after Christmas and they wouldn't take no for an answer. I'm an introvert and didn't like crowds so I was looking for any excuse not to go lol. My girlfriend (now my wife) pushed me to go and told me if I didn't go I would regret it and she was absolutely right. They told me to get there early so I could hang out backstage before the show and they were the most down to Earth laid back guys you could ever meet. They put me at ease immediately and showered me with compliments and how much they loved the video and it was a pleasure getting to know them. The show was awesome and they actually found me in the crowd and called me out during the show. We hung out backstage some more afterwards and exchanged phone numbers and I left feeling like I had just lived a dream. Then minutes after I left I got a call on my cell from Lajon who had noticed I had left empty-handed and told me to get my ass back in there and they gave me some t-shirts, a hoodie,  an autographed drum stick from Morgan Rose and a VIP pass. It was one of the best nights of my life and it didn't stop there as I've gone to many more of their concerts over the years. Those guys really brought me out of my shell. After the show my wife said "you're welcome" and I didn't have to ask what she meant lol. I could go on and on about my experiences with Sevendust. They're just a great group of guys.

Nope.  I live a boring and sheltered life.

But I do definitely enjoy the stories you all are sharing.  Even if I haven't heard of some of the artists, it's pretty cool that some of you have met people that you're really into.  The stories are all pretty nice to read about.

This thread is a winner.

I played tackle football with Pharrell Williams little brother, he would come to our games/practices whenever he was in town. Super nice guy and would take a picture with all of us. I was also at a BBQ at a rich buddies house and Pusha T was there, also a really nice humble guy. He was drinking Guinness surprisingly. 

1 hour ago, AJ* said:

Years ago back when I had spare time I used to make music videos of sports/movies using my favorite songs and many of them used my favorite band Sevendust. One particular video I made of Bruce Lee using their song "Hero" went viral and spread all over the place and racked up millions of views on Youtube. The band actually saw it, loved it and tracked me down on my website and e-mailed me. First I thought it was a joke until I checked my IP tracker and saw a lot of hits from Peachtree Studios had visited my site. I knew that's where they recorded their music so it hit me that the e-mail was real. So we wrote back and forth and they invited me out to the next concert near my area which just happened to be 3 days after Christmas and they wouldn't take no for an answer. I'm an introvert and didn't like crowds so I was looking for any excuse not to go lol. My girlfriend (now my wife) pushed me to go and told me if I didn't go I would regret it and she was absolutely right. They told me to get there early so I could hang out backstage before the show and they were the most down to Earth laid back guys you could ever meet. They put me at ease immediately and showered me with compliments and how much they loved the video and it was a pleasure getting to know them. The show was awesome and they actually found me in the crowd and called me out during the show. We hung out backstage some more afterwards and exchanged phone numbers and I left feeling like I had just lived a dream. Then minutes after I left I got a call on my cell from Lajon who had noticed I had left empty-handed and told me to get my ass back in there and they gave me some t-shirts, a hoodie,  an autographed drum stick from Morgan Rose and a VIP pass. It was one of the best nights of my life and it didn't stop there as I've gone to many more of their concerts over the years. Those guys really brought me out of my shell. After the show my wife said "you're welcome" and I didn't have to ask what she meant lol. I could go on and on about my experiences with Sevendust. They're just a great group of guys.

I have several musician buddies that have had the opportunity to hang with the Sevendust crew.  To a man, they rave about em.  Some of the nicest guys in the business.

Great story, btw.

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I have several musician buddies that have had the opportunity to hang with the Sevendust crew.  To a man, they rave about em.  Some of the nicest guys in the business.

Great story, btw.

They really are. Being introverted was the main reason I hesitated to go but I was also apprehensive about meeting them because I've heard horror stories about people meeting their favorite musicians/celebrities and having a bad experience.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:55 PM, ShredSkins said:

Also witnessed someone beat up the singer for Faster ****cats backstage. The singer for Enuff Z Nuff tried to steal my other guitar players wife.

Ok 13 year old me wants to know who and/or why someone beat up the lead singer of Faster ****cat.  

And was your guitar player's wife's name Michelle, that he wanted to fly high with?  

Back in the late 80's to mid 90's,yes I did.  My bartending gig back then in Park City allowed for that,(which we thought,and still do,think was cool considering the size of the small town back then. I will say that to a member of the bands,they were all pleasant and very cool,(though a few could drink,well,a lot). 

14 hours ago, drowland said:

Ok 13 year old me wants to know who and/or why someone beat up the lead singer of Faster ****cat.  

And was your guitar player's wife's name Michelle, that he wanted to fly high with?  

Lol. If I remember right he said on stage he was glad someone died of cancer.

Archived