Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

33 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

And can someone please give me a logical explanation as to why the guy who hit Trey Quinn was not ejected but Ryan Anderson was?.. I just got out of time out and eating breakfast and too lazy to look over stuff LOL

We were playing in Carolina?

Joking but the refs didn't flagged the helmet to helmet. They flagged a hit on a defenseless returner. Which was really weird.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I’d root for the Vikings also, our former QB winning it all. Thing is, Kirk probably loses the Vikes first playoff game; which might be against the Packers.

RGIII is on the Ravens, you could always root for that ex QB.  And hoping to not jinx him, I did say many times that Robert would be in the Super Bowl before Luck.  I am hoping this is the year I am shown to be a great prognosticator.  😋

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Chase is definitely a keeper:

I've been saying this OL has been playing better than people realize, certainly better than the national media portrays.  Everyone has us going for OL help desperately in the draft and it's not necessary.

1st sack given up, the RB whiffs on the blitzer.  Maybe Scherff should've peeled back, but regardless that was easily the RB's fault.  Surprisingly Sprinkle does a pretty good job 1v1 against their Edge.

2nd sack, they send 6 pass rushers, Flowers locks his guy up, Penn mirrors his, but his guy spins off and finds a lane on the other side of Flowers.  It's definitely not a stunt, but basically became one.  Flowers than releases his guy to pick up the now unblocked guy who spun inside.  Penn get's knocked off track by Flowers former guy, who then goes on to sack the QB.

3rd sack, it was a sack of 0 yards lost, there was no pressure.  Haskins thought he saw a window to pick up a 1st down up the middle with his feet, but he was wrong.

4th sack, 2 minute drill, we're in the Red Zone.  Penn can't keep up with the Edge.  He's almost able to knock him off course, but he doesn't move like he used to.  At the same time in that play, Geron was losing his block to a bullrush.  Geron was losing, but losing just slow enough that Haskins would've gotten the ball out.  He had already been stripped of the ball at that point.

5th sack, red zone, 100% on Haskins.  This should have also been a 1st down or probably a touchdown if Haskins had done any one of many things better.  Just a bad play for him.

Almost 6th sack, Haskins somehow managed to evade that but Sprinkle drops it.  Re-watching and it's just crazy.  Panthers show standard 4 on LoS, but with a LB initially threatening the left B gap.  He bails, the Edge on that side bails, leaving Flowers and Penn to block 1 DT.  Meanwhile a safety and other LB blitz the rightside B gap.  Geron is unsure who to pick up before he correctly goes to the Edge on the outside.  He gets a hand on him, but not enough.  Haskins pocket presence there is bonkers good.

On Guice's 60 yard run, both Flowers and Roullier completely seal their responsibilities out of the play, big lane there.

On AP's 22 yard run, Scherff and Geron do exactly what you want to see.  They engage with the DT, Scherff's initial contact is more than enough for Geron to take over and seal the DT off, and Scherff is able to take a step up and lock out the LB, Thompson.  In surprising news though, Bergstrom actually blocks well against the Edge.  Adrian Peterson's vision and jump cut does the rest.

I'm watching some more of the solid but not big gainer runs, and Bergstrom is playing kind of well.  Where did this come from?

On AP's 21 yard run when we were backed up at our own 1 yard line.  Flowers moves Gerald McCoy (yeah, the 6 Time Pro-Bowler) out of the lane, Roullier moves the LB out of the lane.  Scherff moves his guy out of the lane, AP sees the opening and cuts back towards it.  I thought Geron lost his block, but it looks like he was able to re-anchor and prevent the DT from pushing through to get a hand on AP.

2020 O-line Status:

Christian can start for us immediately, to those that say otherwise, I don't know what you're watching, but it's not the last 3 games where he's got playing time.  He's one of our starting OT's in 2020 for sure.

Flowers needs to be re-signed, he'd be a lot cheaper than Scherff.

Roullier is good, that was a great 6th round draft pick.

Scherff is worth paying the premium he'd command if the offense is designed to be run heavy.  That's where his value is, the run game.  If we got a different coach in, with a different scheme, that wants to showcase a passing offense based around Haskins, then we don't pay Scherff.

Moses is OK, but his cap hit is increasing.

Franchise tag of Scherff costs 16.1 million.  I have no idea how much money Flowers will get, but let's say half or a little less than half of Scherff?  If we cut Norman, and trade Trent then we've got around $51 million in cap space.  Or $45 million after draft picks are signed.  That gives us a lot of room to work with.  And some other cuttable contracts like Kerrigan and Reed (another $20 million that could be freed up)

38 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

RGIII is on the Ravens, you could always root for that ex QB.  And hoping to not jinx him, I did say many times that Robert would be in the Super Bowl before Luck.  I am hoping this is the year I am shown to be a great prognosticator.  😋

I may root for the Ravens, but that would be because of Lamar Jackson.   RG3 would get to Superbowl as a backup, before the Skins ever did.  I'd hope he's get a little playing time, near the end of the game; in a Ravens blowout win.

6 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

You guys are one of the few NFC teams I like or that I'd root for if my pack is eliminated. We love your team and fans.

Thank you. Very kind of you to say. 

And it's reciprocated speaking personally. Always had a soft spot for GB. 

Total respect for sticking to your roots and beliefs. Proper football team/ town that. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Thank you. Very kind of you to say. 

And it's reciprocated speaking personally. Always had a soft spot for GB. 

Total respect for sticking to your roots and beliefs. Proper football team/ town that. 

Hail. 

Here here.  🍻

I married a Packer fan, and have always like the Packers, and I wouldn't be sad if my two sons grew up to be Packer fans instead of diehard Redskin fans.  I'm certainly not forcing it upon them! 😋

15 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Hire Ron thread coming soon I'm sure....thoughts?

Of the names that are out there right now, he's on my list of 'acceptable.'  

it's not going to blow me away, but he is superior to some others that have been floated like Jason Garrett. 

I would almost prefer to have him as a DC.  I like what he brings as far as a scheme, and I can see similarities between Cam and Haskins.  Big body, big arm QB.  Cam had superior speed which opened things up in the QB run game... something I don't think Haskins can do.  Defensively, I can remember the Panthers just being an absolute TERROR with guys like Julius Peppers.  I think Rivera can do good things with this young defense we have.  

He's not my top choice, but I wouldn't put my hand in my face the way I did when we announced Zorn either.    

19 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I've been saying this OL has been playing better than people realize, certainly better than the national media portrays.  Everyone has us going for OL help desperately in the draft and it's not necessary.

Are you confident we can do what we need to do without addressing O-line at all in this draft?   

I think we have some room to upgrade, and it's at the tackle position.  Even if Christian can be starting caliber, having an anchor on the left side and sliding Christian over to the right side is an instant, and tangible upgrade.  

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

Lock down flowers and scherff and roulier..if BPA is a left tackle despite decent play from penn ya go with left tackle for youth..right tackle is a ? with that right tackle.from Louisville 

If Callahan isn't the HC, Flowers may WANT to follow him.

You can't say "we need to lock him down" - sometimes guys don't want to just stay where the money is. Sometimes they do.

Offensive line is a problem next season. 

Penn is likely to retire. Flowers is a FA that could stay or go. Roullier is under contract. Scherff is a free agent, who the team may wind up tagging (which, I'd like to not rely on tags) and Moses is under contract but underperforming.

Add that Williams will be gone, and there's no telling what we get for him. Or he's NOT gone and we hold him hostage another year.

Martin and Piersbacher on on roster, as is Christian. So there are some possible replacements. But we are thin at tackle. Moves need to be made there. The OL is far from being in a good place. And if you consider TE as part of the OL it's in an even worse place.

Maybe guys can develop and be studs. Or maybe they're not. But OL is one of the few position groups you can't be thin/unproven at and plan to succeed.

5 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Lock down flowers and scherff and roulier..if BPA is a left tackle despite decent play from penn ya go with left tackle for youth..right tackle is a ? with that right tackle.from Louisville 

The way Penn was telling coming into the season, this was gonna be his last season and then he was gonna retire.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Callahan isn't the HC, Flowers may WANT to follow him.

You can't say "we need to lock him down" - sometimes guys don't want to just stay where the money is. Sometimes they do.

Offensive line is a problem next season. 

Penn is likely to retire. Flowers is a FA that could stay or go. Roullier is under contract. Scherff is a free agent, who the team may wind up tagging (which, I'd like to not rely on tags) and Moses is under contract but underperforming.

Add that Williams will be gone, and there's no telling what we get for him. Or he's NOT gone and we hold him hostage another year.

Martin and Piersbacher on on roster, as is Christian. So there are some possible replacements. But we are thin at tackle. Moves need to be made there. The OL is far from being in a good place. And if you consider TE as part of the OL it's in an even worse place.

Maybe guys can develop and be studs. Or maybe they're not. But OL is one of the few position groups you can't be thin/unproven at and plan to succeed.

Time will tell

27 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The way Penn was telling coming into the season, this was gonna be his last season and then he was gonna retire.

Yeah I can see penn retiring..

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Scherff is a free agent, who the team may wind up tagging (which, I'd like to not rely on tags)

It'd be absolutely stupid to tag him at $15 M/ year, but refuse to offer him what you'd be paying anyways.  The Redskins window for negotiation has probably closed on that one.  

He's in the unique situation of having his tag lumped in with a bunch of other positions.  So he gets to benefit from the top 5 salaries of all O-linemen. 

If you don't want to pay him $15 M, why tag him?  All it does is put the onus on Bruce to get value for him.  If anything, they ought to transition tag him.  

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Are you confident we can do what we need to do without addressing O-line at all in this draft?   

"without addressing O-line at all"?  No.  Depth is thin.  You always need developing prospects.

We have 2 free agents who are currently starters.  We do have a Guard waiting in the wings to replace one should they leave.  But that leaves no depth.  And if both starters leave, then we're in a bind.

As of a month ago, the two best OL in college right now aren't even draft eligible.  We're looking at a deeper crop of quality prospects, but there aren't the elite blue chippers you would expect with a Top 5 draft pick.  We likely won't get a 1st for Trent anymore after the ****show Bruce Allen displayed.  But I'd take a 2nd.  If the intent was to draft an OL in the 1st, I would prefer trading back and picking one of the OT's there that are all close as prospects than overdrafting one just because.

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I think we have some room to upgrade, and it's at the tackle position.  Even if Christian can be starting caliber, having an anchor on the left side and sliding Christian over to the right side is an instant, and tangible upgrade.  

Sure.  Penn is the weakest link on the OL right now, and while the offense can still function with him, upgrading that spot would make things easier for Haskins/run game.  That can happen easily via promoting Christian.  We can then use draft picks to address depth we're missing along the line.

Or, if we draft a LT in the 1st, slide Christian over to RT, release Moses to save money cause nobody is paying a backup $9million.  Then we're still minus depth, with the best draft pick we have already used.

2 hours ago, megared said:

It'd be absolutely stupid to tag him at $15 M/ year, but refuse to offer him what you'd be paying anyways.  The Redskins window for negotiation has probably closed on that one.  

He's in the unique situation of having his tag lumped in with a bunch of other positions.  So he gets to benefit from the top 5 salaries of all O-linemen. 

If you don't want to pay him $15 M, why tag him?  All it does is put the onus on Bruce to get value for him.  If anything, they ought to transition tag him.  

This is where I’ll take the liberty to say two little “words” and perhaps that will jog your memory of what this organization is capable of.

Bruce.

Allen.

Archived