Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The history on interim coaches getting the permanent gig, isn't that great.

Bill may have one good season; but doubtful he has long term success. Also, 

The cancer would still be here and you can't overcome that.

It's best to start over. Also, we beat Miami, Detroit and a fading Carolina. Not exactly the best teams. The NFc East sucks. The team might be able to do well in the ****ty east but when you face the better teams, you will not win those.

I think we also have to look at the team, and ask the serious question of whether or not Bill runs a scheme, or can adjust to one, that suits the core of our talent.  Callahan wants to run the ball.  He appears to be old school in that sense.  Now part of that likely is the fact that we have a raw, young QB and he wants to make sure he's somewhat protected, so I get that. 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm not sure what's happening with the o-line, but Callahan is tinkering.  Jay never did that.  Geron Christian played 1 quarter of football against the Jets, 1 against the Lions, and 1 (or more) against the Panthers.  He's done that, seemingly not because of injury, but because they want to see what else they can do with the offense.

Christian started the Lions game because Penn was held out for the first quarter for some unspecified disciplinary reason. He came in at RT yesterday because Moses hurt his back.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I want to add another dud.

The prevent D.

We dominated the game and nearly "prevented" it away. I understand the need to play conservatively with a lead, but that was ridiculous.

Good point, never got the premise behind making things easier to move the ball for the opposing offense.  Seems counter-intuitive, but every team does it sooo...

One more dud, Cam Sims played 1 snap on offense...and in that snap he was called for a penalty.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well, I have more than a few reasons... but a quick one while I'm busy...

He's tied to Allen.

If he's here, that likely means Bruce Allen is here. And I think you can find plenty of people to do what Callahan is.

In a fair world, where I didn't believe Allen and him were tied? I'd be slightly more open to it.

I agree with this.  I'd add, it's not like he inherited some atrocious team and rose them from the ashes.  As much as I among other people mocked Bruce for the we are close comment, I get why he thought it.  It's been a mediocre not awful but mediocre team for three seasons in a row.   I thought it was mediocre myself and still do.  He thought the mediocre was about to go up a notch.

Everyone and their mother before the season wondered about the tough start to the season and whether they'd get off to a rough start for that reason and then recoup.  I myself said on a thread during the summer that I thought it would be a tough start but then the schedule gets easier and they will rally.  They haven't really rallied they way I expected but have found their way back to mediocrity or a little less than that now.

If people want to say Jay had them stuck at mediocrity but couldn't take them above that and got off to a rough start this season.  That's true.  Callahan has found his way to bring the Redskins back to the 2015-2018 mediocrity that us Redskins fans are used to.  That's true, too. 

None of that IMO makes it worth to bring his buddy Bruce back because it looks clear that its a package deal.  Callahan isn't the only coach on the planet who believes in discipline.  There are plenty of other fishes in the sea for those who crave disciplinarian types.  Most of the coaches that I've pushed on this thread are those types. 

All players don't love Callahan, at least according to Hoffman at least.   Callahan himself said he knows not everyone is going to like him and his style but that comes with the turf.  It's been documented that multiple players in Oakland didn't care for him.   I think players here would get over it.   But in his defense, I don't really care if they all like him or not. 

But good luck selling the fan base on Callahan and Bruce in 2020.  I think Dan would have a wild ride and not a fun one as to season ticket renewals.

To want Bruce back and all the dysfunction that accompanies that I'd have to believe Callahan is Lombardi to go for that ride. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In the off season, with hopefully changes across the board in the FO and coaching.  You add a TE.   A corner.  LT.   And hopefully Haskins develops.  Then you are cooking with oil IMO. 

So what you're saying is we're close? :P 

And don't you cook with gas?  I always heard that you cooked with gas? I don't know anybody who cooked with oil.  That would be messy.

Most likely in 2020:

QB: Haskins (outside shot of Smith?). I think Haskins will develop really well in the off-season given the right situation. 

OL: Re-sign Flowers.  Do it now.  Need a LT, and I'd like to see about moving on from Moses.  Is that Christian?  Not sure.  Need a piece or two here and depth.  Rouiller and Scherff are back next year.  

TE: Complete re-build.  Reed and Davis need to be gone. Sprinkle is "ok" but you need better.

RB: Right now you have Guice, AP and Love.  Assuming Love is healthy, that's pretty good.  

WR: McLaurin, Harmon, Simms seem like keepers.  Richardson is too oft injured. Quinn is a try-hard lacks physical talent Gruden man-crush who we can thank for his services and move on from.  Need another play-maker across from McLaurin.  

A good GM (assumption is we have one) should be able to sign/draft a couple OL, TEs and get somebody at WR who can complement McLaurin.  This isn't a complete re-build of the entire offense. This seems doable.   

Defense: ** First, I would do what Cooley and others have said and scrap the 3-4 and move back to 4-3 full time because even if you're only in 3-4 35% of the time, you're STILL not using your personnel to it's fullest in those 35% of the time. Sweat and Kerrigan should never be dropping into coverage.  I actually am a huge fan of the 3-4 if run properly.  We haven't run it or "staffed" it right for 10 years, I don't believe we'll start doing it now.  

DL: I move Kerrigan and Sweat to DL as DEs.  You can move either around a bit between OLB and DE in different situations.  But I'd consider them more DE pass-rushers than LBs.  Then you have Kerringan/Sweat/Allen/Payne/Matt I(I am too lazy to look up how to spell his name) as your core DL, with a few rotational guys like Settle thrown in.

ILB: Reuben Foster, and some of the folks from this year. Bostic as a backup maybe? 

OLB: Anderson, Holcomb.  You also have the law-firms of SDH and JHC for depth somewhere.

Safety: Collins and somebody playing for a different team.  Need another safety.  Sorry Monte.  

DB: Dunny and Moreau penciled in on the outside. Need to find a nickle and depth. Norman goes back to Carolina.  

So, assuming you have good coaching, (another assumption) and you use your personnel correctly, you need help in the secondary.  Safety and nickle corner for sure. You probably don't need DL or LB help, more depth than "help."  

The defense really has been the most disappointing part of this team.  They have WAY too much individual talent to have been this bad.  It is telling that as soon as Norman moved to the bench, they started playing better.  Also moving Moreau from inside to outside helped.  Not sure which of those two complementary moves was  chicken or egg, but together, the secondary has been better. 

This team has more talent, specifically young talent, than their record.  If they could rip off a few wins with Callahan, and Dan isn't stupid enough to retain Callahan and Bruce, they have a real shot of going from "worst to ... not worst" next year.  I don't think "first." But they could get back into that 8-9 win range if they are smart.  And they would be young.  Which would be promising.

Key is getting the FO and coaching right.  Everything starts with that.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

2 things I know Dan knows how to read: P/L and ratings. He might not know anything else, but he knows how to read those 2 things.  He MIGHT even know how to read a balance sheet. But I don't know if I give him that much credit. :) 

He is going to make a change at the end of the year.  That was the best game they have played in a year and nobody cared and nobody watched.

He knows he is going to have to do SOMETHING, and that SOMETHING probably starts with Bruce, and Dan probably knows that.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So what you're saying is we're close? :P 

And don't you cook with gas?  I always heard that you cooked with gas? I don't know anybody who cooked with oil.  That would be messy.

Yep, I messed up the metaphor.  😁

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

QB: Haskins (outside shot of Smith?). I think Haskins will develop really well in the off-season given the right situation.

I really don't have a feel for it as for Haskins yet.  i like some of what I've seen and heard and dislike some of it, too.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

OL: Re-sign Flowers.  Do it now.  Need a LT, and I'd like to see about moving on from Moses.  Is that Christian?  Not sure.  Need a piece or two here and depth.  Rouiller and Scherff are back next year.  

Scherff might leave in FA.  Some think Bruce's goes to his favorite thing though, the tag.  😀

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

TE: Complete re-build.  Reed and Davis need to be gone. Sprinkle is "ok" but you need better

Agree.

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

RB: Right now you have Guice, AP and Love.  Assuming Love is healthy, that's pretty good. 

If they stay healthy I think they will beat pretty good but will be great.

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

DL: I move Kerrigan and Sweat to DL as DEs.  You can move either around a bit between OLB and DE in different situations.  But I'd consider them more DE pass-rushers than LBs.  Then you have Kerringan/Sweat/Allen/Payne/Matt I(I am too lazy to look up how to spell his name) as your core DL, with a few rotational guys like Settle thrown in.

While we still have a fighting chance I'll keep pining for Chase Young.  I think he transforms that D line.  Kerrigan to me isn't that hot of a pass rusher anymore.  Young to me is special. 

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

ILB: Reuben Foster, and some of the folks from this year. Bostic as a backup maybe? 

I like Foster but wonder if he can stay healthy and I felt that way even before the ACL tear.

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The defense really has been the most disappointing part of this team.  They have WAY too much individual talent to have been this bad.  It is telling that as soon as Norman moved to the bench, they started playing better.  Also moving Moreau from inside to outside helped.  Not sure which of those two complementary moves was  chicken or egg, but together, the secondary has been better

Agree.  

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This team has more talent, specifically young talent, than their record.  If they could rip off a few wins with Callahan, and Dan isn't stupid enough to retain Callahan and Bruce, they have a real shot of going from "worst to ... not worst" next year.  I don't think "first." But they could get back into that 8-9 win range if they are smart.  And they would be young.  Which would be promising.

Key is getting the FO and coaching right.  Everything starts with that. 

Agree though FO worries me more.  

I'm a little unfamiliar with the Callahan and Bruce connection.  But multiple people have mentioned it, so something is there.  We brought Callahan in during the same off-season we brought McCloughan in.  Callahan has a connection to Jay's brother Jon, but not to Jay himself.  Bruce was with the Raiders for a few years during the time Callahan was there.  So that's how the recruiting process started (I'm assuming).  That said, Callahan was widely regarded as being one of the best O-Line gurus in the league at that point.  It's not like Bruce just brought back any old buddy of his.

I do know Callahan supposedly did a power play to wrest power away from Bruce when he was offered the job.  Callahan said he'd only take the interim gig if he was given roster power that Bruce never wanted to give up to Jay.  Does that mean they're not friends, because Callahan was afraid of Bruce meddling?  Or does that mean they are friends, because Bruce was willing to give up that power?  I don't know.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm a little unfamiliar with the Callahan and Bruce connection.  But multiple people have mentioned it, so something is there.  We brought Callahan in during the same off-season we brought McCloughan in.  Callahan has a connection to Jay's brother Jon, but not to Jay himself.  Bruce was with the Raiders for a few years during the time Callahan was there.  So that's how the recruiting process started (I'm assuming).  That said, Callahan was widely regarded as being one of the best O-Line gurus in the league at that point.  It's not like Bruce just brought back any old buddy of his.

I do know Callahan supposedly did a power play to wrest power away from Bruce when he was offered the job.  Callahan said he'd only take the interim gig if he was given roster power that Bruce never wanted to give up to Jay.  Does that mean they're not friends, because Callahan was afraid of Bruce meddling?  Or does that mean they are friends, because Bruce was willing to give up that power?  I don't know.

According to multiple people who cover the team, Bruce and Callahan are very close.  One example among many, Finlay said on air on a postgame show after the Jets game when asked by one of the moderators that no way Callahan is back, right?  Finlay goes don't count out Callahan because that's Bruce's guy and they are close. 

Just about everyone who covers the team have said it's very important for Bruce to end the season well so he can sell it was Jay not him.  It's the new version of Cerrato saying the year Zorn was canned that he gave him a playoff roster so it's not his fault its Zorn.

Some who cover the team also said there are some coaches that Dan might covet that likely wouldn't want to come here if Bruce is the President.  Callahan on the other hand is cool with Bruce being in charge supposedly.   So for those covering the stories on what happens next -- to them (if they are correct) Bruce and Callahan are tied to the hip.  If Callahan is gone, better shot Bruce is gone.  If Callahan is back, good chance Bruce is part of the ticket.

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2 things I know Dan knows how to read: P/L and ratings. He might not know anything else, but he knows how to read those 2 things.  He MIGHT even know how to read a balance sheet. But I don't know if I give him that much credit. :) 

He is going to make a change at the end of the year.  That was the best game they have played in a year and nobody cared and nobody watched.

He knows he is going to have to do SOMETHING, and that SOMETHING probably starts with Bruce, and Dan probably knows that.  

I hope you are right, this story has some legs, being discussed on 106.7 now. 

9 minutes ago, JCB said:

The D line was beasting yesterday! Exactly what I thought we'd look like all season.

That is not a word.

Please only use words that exist.

15 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Working together, these two best friends can only lead us to glory!!

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Problem is, there's no correlation between P/L and ratings for Dan. He still gets his 1/32 cut of the league's TV revenue even if more people are watching infomercials than the Skins games.

The league undoubtedly cares, but there really isn't much they can do, at least not directly. Now, if Dan needs something, such as league support on a stadium deal, he might find that to be a tough sell if the Skins aren't contributing much to the overall bottom line.

@Voice_of_Reason Agree with much of that.  A few points though.  Moreland is looking pretty good in the slot, IMO Honestly, I’m shocked with how physical he is given his stature.  I’ve been holding out hope for Moreau (as a boundary corner), and it looks like he’s making strides there.  I would still love to add a good corner though. We need depth and could certainly do better than Moreau.  This (improves coverage) will also help our dline get home - something that was lacking but has improved in recent weeks.  Kyle Allen held the ball a bunch of times that lead to sacks, qb hits, throwing the ball up for grabs, etc.  And yet, they still passed for a lot of yards on us and suffered from a lot of big time drops.  Point being, I still have corner as a top need for us.  

The one thing I like about the 34 is that it gets 3 of our best players on the field - Allen/Payne/Ioannidis. I’m fine with OLBs dropping into coverage  at times (Sweat, in particular is relatively suited to this with his wingspan and athleticism), but they can’t be manning up on a back or TE.  Puts pressure on olines when we bring a blitzer and have an OLB drop into a shallow zone.  

I think we should really take advantage of this receiving class, but I’m happy with Harmon as McLaurin’s complement.  TE is the much bigger need IMO.  However, I’m not going to assume Sims will develop into a starting caliber slot receiver (I like Harmon in the ‘big slot’ role as @stevemcqueen1has mentioned - Draft Network likes him for that role too IIRC), but I think he has potential.  Finding a receiver that could man the slot or start on the outside, and/or serve to bolster our depth would be nice.  

As to running back, I’m a big fan of Guice and Love, and AP is a nice complement.  I think we could really benefit from a good 3rd down back.  Love Thompson, but I just don’t think bringing him back makes sense.  Due to health/age issues at the position, if that ‘hands back’ could maybe occasionally handle a full load that would be an added bonus.  The position is just so dangerous for a defense.  

I’m down with re-signing Flowers.  I’d wait though in case of injury.  Assuming we pick either him or Scherff to re-sign, I’d still hope to draft a guy to compete with Martin.  

I'm sure these stats will come down to earth after playing Aaron Rodgers, but the two backup QB's for the Lions and Panthers have really made our defense look elite.  It also happens to be when we made the cornerback changes, so I'm going to enjoy this temporary status and unreasonably assign all credit to recent defensive changes instead of the lack of strength of schedule.  Split this into 3 categories.

With Jay as HC After firing Jay After Def. Changes
  Games 1-5 Games 6-10 Games 11-12
  Rank Number Rank Number Rank Number
D Yards Allowed Per Play 24 6.07 11 5.09 5 4.46
D Sacks 27 9 16 14 1 13

I want to give Callahan 

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I'll add to everything @Alcoholic Zebra has said thus far with a key point that's sticking out as regards the future. The young guys, in particular, seem to be responding to what he's trying to instil here and his motivation. As exemplified not only by their on-field displays but the glowing way they talk about him/ one of the beat guys references similar. 

I am definitely not opposed to keeping Callahan as the coach next year, but I don't want to be blind to the state of dysfunction that this team was in before Callahan took over that lead to what @Alcoholic Zebra called a low bar. How many times have the Wizards been all but out of the playoffs then when wins didn't matter, suddenly they win enough games to spoil their lottery chances. I'm not as big on the NBA Draft Lottery like I'm not too big on the NFL Draft position, I'm bigger on a winning culture. But it would be different if we knew Callahan was going to be the coach next year. But what does this win mean? Would we keep Manusky - he's looked good too? Part of me wants to say that all options should be on the table including the keeping things as they are option.

But if we weren't in this downward spiral, would we have played these younger guys? I don't think so because Callahan didn't play Haskins early, he didn't play Sims until after Quinn's injury, he didn't play Harmon until after Robinson's injury, he didn't play Moreau until after Norman's injury. maybe the injuries are an excuse to put the younger guys in but it does seem convenient. 

10 minutes ago, profusion said:

Problem is, there's no correlation between P/L and ratings for Dan. He still gets his 1/32 cut of the league's TV revenue even if more people are watching infomercials than the Skins games.

The league undoubtedly cares, but there really isn't much they can do, at least not directly. Now, if Dan needs something, such as league support on a stadium deal, he might find that to be a tough sell if the Skins aren't contributing much to the overall bottom line.

Russell and some who say have sources at the FO expressed that the two things Dan cares about the most are stadium attendance and TV ratings.  Who knows if its true but hoping it's the case.    That was part of Garafalo's report over the weekend which is Dan realizes there is a problem when tickets are selling for a few bucks, etc. 

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Gave up 30 per game through the first 5 of Gruden, 20 per game through the next 7 of Callahan.  Cant be a coincidence, IMO.  I would have to think Callahan said something to Manusky.

Kinda makes you wonder what they saw in Quinn this whole time.  I was trying to cut the WRs as a unit some slack until they got a good QB in here, but nah, Quinn's just not very good at WR or PR.

Doesn't really matter, he shouldn't be playing or on the roster.  Steve SIms does everything he does, but better.

Archived