Sign in to follow this  
Sticksboi05

WP: Nationals are D.C.’s favorite team, Post poll finds, as Redskins’ popularity plummets

A World Series title coupled with years of on- and off-field blunders by the local football team has reshuffled the sports hierarchy in Washington, and the Nationals are now clearly the city’s favorite sports franchise, according to a poll from The Washington Post.

More than one in four D.C. residents — 28 percent — name the Nationals as their favorite local team, four times the number that named them in 2010. Meanwhile, fandom for the Redskins, long the dominant sports team in the region, has plummeted, with just 13 percent of Washingtonians now calling the Redskins their favorite local team, down 21 percentage points from 2010.

The Nationals and Redskins are followed by the Capitals with 10 percent, the Wizards and Mystics, both at 8 percent, and D.C. United at 6 percent. Under a quarter, 23 percent say they don’t prefer any of the local teams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/21/washington-favorite-team-nationals-redskins-poll/

The Nationals being No. 1 isn't surprising since they just won the World Series but 34 to 13 percent is a staggering drop. And for the Redskins to be nearly even with the Capitals ... Football is America's game, hockey is a Canadian sport that has only recently not been a Canadian league as well (over 25% of the league is now American and from college hockey). For the local football team to be nearly even is staggering.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Certainly the Nats are going to get a big boost since they just won a World Series.  

Even before they both won championships, and still now, mine is a tie between the Caps and Nats.  I don't really give a **** about any of the others, although I was happy to see the Mystics do well and I want to go to a United game just because I hear they are a fun experience.  I actively avoid anything related to the Redskins at this point, they are an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

The Redskins havent been DC's team since the mid 90's at least. I've been here long enough to know the impact the '90s Cowboys had on the area, the rise of the Ravens, and the Skins descent into the 9 circles of hell. Every few years, they hit the next level down.

• Like 1

The relationships between DC residents and the Caps is very, VERY special, something the Nationals will likely never surpass. 

Nothing against the Nats, but its just like saying the Bruins will rival the popularity of the Red Sox in Boston. Never going to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The fact people say stuff like you gotta support your local team concerning the Nats and dont like baseball, but in same breath wince and make exceptions for the Redskins is telling.

3 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

The relationships between DC residents and the Caps is very, VERY special, something the Nationals will likely never surpass. 

Nothing against the Nats, but its just like saying the Bruins will rival the popularity of the Red Sox in Boston. Never going to happen. 

Not sure I follow, MLB is far more popular the hockey.  I jus checked, Nats average about 10k more in attendance per game then the Capitols do.  If the answer is the size of the stadium, my response is why arent hickey stadiums as big as baseball stadiums or football stadiums?

Wow....color me shocked....FLABBERGASTED, even!!!! That dc sports fans would love a team that just won the World Series, more than a 1-9 NFL team. 

I mean....is this really supposed to be news? Seriously? Yeah, thanks captain obvious 😂😂😂😂😂😂 

This city hasn't really been a Redskins town since 2012. Its been a steady downfall since.

D.C. is a Caps and Nats town and have been for 5+ years now.

I'm sure recency bias plays a role in that poll, but the football team is definitely losing a generation of fans

Its going to take more than one good year to bring them back. 10 years ago, I devoured every news story and transaction related to the team, now I don't even get excited by the wins because the structure is so ****ed. I watch games more out of habit than anything else, the team has pretty much contributed to killing my passion for the game overall.

I can handle the team being bad, I refuse to tolerate structural and pervasive incompetence. Wizards almost lost me keeping Grunfeld as long as they did, but they finally rectified that issue. They're not any good, but they are fun to watch and you can at least see a vision of what they're trying to do moving forward

I see no such path for the football squad

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Anyone else noticed that a lot of Caps fans are weird about the Nats winning the championship? I've seen it repeatedly across the internet and I don't get it. 

• Like 1

Capitals are my favorite, not a huge baseball fan, but with the Nationals winning the series, I have to finally go to see a game at the stadium this summer 

1 hour ago, DoneMessedUp said:

Anyone else noticed that a lot of Caps fans are weird about the Nats winning the championship? I've seen it repeatedly across the internet and I don't get it. 

A lot of Caps fans are happy the Nats won the World Series. Mourneblade is a known Nats hater.

• Like 1

I've lived in MD, IN and CA for extended periods of time and ended up splitting my allegiances across DC and Chicago sports. Right now, I would honestly rank my pro sports fandoms like so:

Nats

Blackhawks

Redskins

Bulls

In 2012, one of the last times until recently that I felt blessed as a sports fan, it was more like:

Redskins (RG3 RG3 RG3) 

Blackhawks (that point streak tho!) 

Bulls (Rose and co. were thrilling at the time) 

Nats (really wasn't into baseball yet but I liked what I'd seen) 

I fell in love with baseball in May 2014 when I moved to California and was unemployed that whole first summer. It was a really scary time and there was something about the consistency of having games to watch every day that hooked me. The Nats were a very good and likable team that year with tremendous pitching and I was happy to make them part of my routine. 

By 2019, they overtook everyone and became a steady source of inspiration as they worked themselves out of a tough spot. My daughter loved Baby Shark and I made watching the Nats part of our routine. What a wonderful season and great franchise. 

• Like 5

Damn, I feel old as ****.  I’ve been a die hard baseball fan since the late 80’s LOL

Seriously, the Nats have been nothing but great for me as a fan. Since 2014, I've seen four postseason appearances and a championship in six seasons. It's not exactly the Patriots, but you can't ask for much more from your team. 

Mike Rizzo is a DC sports legend and the day he is no longer with the team will be a dark one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I'm sure recency bias plays a role in that poll, but the football team is definitely losing a generation of fans

Its going to take more than one good year to bring them back. 10 years ago, I devoured every news story and transaction related to the team, now I don't even get excited by the wins because the structure is so ****ed. I watch games more out of habit than anything else, the team has pretty much contributed to killing my passion for the game overall.

how long is a generation?  25-30 years?  Dan Snyder has had the team for 20 years that have been mostly bad... so yeah it’s fair to say this team is working hard to miss out on an entire generation of fans.  

My only hope is that Snyder is exposed now and if they have some sort of a decent season next year that the fans don’t come back.  Would be better if they just go 2-14 every season.

The caps and Nats have given me all the winning I care for.  A Redskins super bowl is meaningless.

Edited by Springfield

Doesn't surprise me in the least. This is Extremeskins. Extreme Redskins fan. Home of rabid Redskins fans. The mood of the Stadium is darker than almost any funeral. Redskins haven't given fans enough reason to love them. They've exhausted so much good will.

It's not even about winning. There are teams that are loveable losers. Look at the Dawg Pound in Cleveland. Look at the Raiduhs. Teams that have been mostly bad for a long, long time. They managed to keep their fan base and to keep it fun. The Redskins have actually not been the worst team in the league under Gruden. They've been a slightly worse than average team. Shanny's team (minus RGIII's rookie season were awful) Gruden's were borderline okay. We were almost always in the playoff hunt. We rarely got there, but we were in the hunt until game 16. So, it's not about being awful. It's about not enough bang for the buck. It's about likability.

It wouldn't be hard for me to make a case that we have players worth rooting for. We do. We don't have bad citizens on the field (Montae excluded possibly), but there is a shadow of disgust that looms over the team. There's an ugliness and a pettiness that makes everything worse than it is. That's right. The Redskins right now are worse than their 1-9 record. That's what they have to fix.

That's why a blow up is important and not a blow up of the roster. I still believe there's pretty good talent here. A blow up of the top of the Front Office. We draft pretty well, but we do free agency, trades, and contracts lousy. We treat our fans lousy. Right now, we coach lousy, too, but lousy, lousy, lousy, lousy, lousy.

Why wouldn't you ride with the Baby Shark over the 'skins? Why wouldn't you Rock the Red over the Burgundy and Gold? Why wouldn't you chant for the Mystics over hail the Redskins? All those teams are fun. When's the last time we had fun being Redskins fans.

It's not just girls... Boys wanna have fun, too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Seriously, the Nats have been nothing but great for me as a fan. Since 2014, I've seen four postseason appearances and a championship in six seasons. It's not exactly the Patriots, but you can't ask for much more from your team. 

Mike Rizzo is a DC sports legend and the day he is no longer with the team will be a dark one. 

Nats have the best or second best record in the NL since 2012

15 minutes ago, Springfield said:

My only hope is that Snyder is exposed now and if they have some sort of a decent season next year that the fans don’t come back.  Would be better if they just go 2-14 every season.

The caps and Nats have given me all the winning I care for.  A Redskins super bowl is meaningless.

The fun part is that some people think that “some sort of decent season” is a possibility. It’s not. 

• Like 1

"Some sort of decent season" under Snyder has proven to be 9-7 to 10-6 and a head cave-in in the WildCard. Yeah, that's like grounds for firing for elite franchises

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

I don't live in DC, but the Redskins will always be #1 for me despite their complete futility.  Maybe cuz football is my favorite sport, and growing up the Skins were by far the biggest draw in the city.  Wizards are just as bad, but they are #2.  Capitals #3.  I'm an Orioles fan so Nats are irrelevant to me, but it is obvious to see why DC has embraced them.

I care more about Hoyas and Terrapins men's basketball more than anything.

Edited by abdcskins

23 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I don't live in DC, but the Redskins will always be #1 for me despite their complete futility.  Maybe cuz football is my favorite sport, and growing up the Skins were by far the biggest draw in the city.  Wizards are just as bad, but they are #2.  Capitals #3.  I'm an Orioles fan so Nats are irrelevant to me, but it is obvious to see why DC has embraced them.

I care more about Hoyas and Terrapins men's basketball than the Mystics or United.

Wizards are just as bad?!  Look I realize the wizards aren’t contenders but lets not get carried away.  The Wizards have won a playoff series in three of the last six seasons.  The last time the redskins won a playoff game was 2005.  Back when the wizards were this:

DJuoBkn.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2