Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welp...have we seen enough..?

bakedtater1

I don't even seen promise or really anything potential in Haskins at this point. He's about to make Jason Campbell look like Joe Montana. A couple passes don't show potential, they show that he has played the position before and actually thrown a football. That's pretty much it. Is this what you expect from a first-rounder?

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Interesting.  I can only think of Akili Smith, think he only had a season.

Cam is probably playing elsewhere in 2020. Since we are So Close, will Bruce get Cam?

If Haskins flames out I think they do this over drafting another one. 

Here's where I am with Haskins. I've accepted that he's a "project." I've seen "project" QBs before. Cam Newton was something of a project.

What is disturbing is that it's rare to see a project where you're thinking, "Oh, Jesus....he's not good at, like, dropping back and handoffs and ****....."

The other thing that's kind of bizarre is that usually these "project" QBs are next level athletes. Again, like Newton. Or Lamar Jackson. Aside from his size and insane arm strength, I don't fee like I'm watching the next evolution in athleticism when I see Haskins.

16 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here's where I am with Haskins. I've accepted that he's a "project." I've seen "project" QBs before. Cam Newton was something of a project.

What is disturbing is that it's rare to see a project where you're thinking, "Oh, Jesus....he's not good at, like, dropping back and handoffs and ****....."

The other thing that's kind of bizarre is that usually these "project" QBs are next level athletes. Again, like Newton. Or Lamar Jackson. Aside from his size and insane arm strength, I don't fee like I'm watching the next evolution in athleticism when I see Haskins.

You put into words what I've been thinking watching Haskins play thus far.

A project with wheels can be entertaining and win a few games.  A project without wheels is frustrating to watch.

I have no clue how this all turns out and there's no reason he shouldn't continue playing out the season, but I'll be damned if I'm seeing anything to be excited about thus far.  If he was hitting what should be the easy throws with regularity, his performances look so much better.  But he's not and it makes it look very underwhelming.

People are really trying to compare what we've so far to what we saw from Kirk early in his career?

I'm not giving up on Haskins at all, but in his rookie season Kirk came in and beat the Ravens and then came back and started the next week and won another game while RG3 was hurt. Can anyone honestly tell me they think Haskins would be capable of doing that with the same exact team from what we've seen so far? He could definitely make big strides in the last 6 games of the season, but what I've seen so far doesn't look like a QB that is ready for the NFL.

So many holes to fill on this team.  Next draft will not fill all the holes.  Vernon Davis needs to retire and so does the other tight end who has concussions.

I do not really want to let Alex Smith back on the field again but if he wants to play again Deadskins management must decide if they keep him and his huge

salary or if they tell him to go find another team to play on.   But if we are stuck paying him then maybe we do not pick a quarterback in this draft unless

we have a new Head Coach and a quarterback genius to help the new guy.  Most fans will want the shiny new quarterback but if they pick the wrong dude

then we are back to square one again.  We need secondary help, tight end help, offensive line help, etc. etc.  We will need a starting cornerback once Josh is

released.  We really need a General Manager who knows what he is doing!!!  Picking the next General Manager is step one before we go into the next draft.

A sharp General Manager may be able to get us back to respectability sooner than one new player drafted in the first round.  This season is toast.

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You put into words what I've been thinking watching Haskins play thus far.

A project with wheels can be entertaining and win a few games.  A project without wheels is frustrating to watch.

I have no clue how this all turns out and there's no reason he shouldn't continue playing out the season, but I'll be damned if I'm seeing anything to be excited about thus far.  If he was hitting what should be the easy throws with regularity, his performances look so much better.  But he's not and it makes it look very underwhelming.

I mean, the throw that was called back yesterday is what you are hanging your hopes on, I guess. Because there are very few people on Earth who could throw a ball that far from that position.

But...I dunno...one of those people is Rex Grossman. And Rex Grossman was a lot more polished in a lot of other areas that Haskins simply is not.

And that the end of the day, he was Rex Grossman.

So, I'm watching this dude and am thinking, "What we have here is a less polished Rex Grossman," which is pretty terrifying.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I mean, the throw that was called back yesterday is what you are hanging your hopes on, I guess. Because there are very few people on Earth who could throw a ball that far from that position.

But...I dunno...one of those people is Rex Grossman. And Rex Grossman was a lot more polished in a lot of other areas that Haskins simply is not.

And that the end of the day, he was Rex Grossman.

So, I'm watching this dude and am thinking, "What we have here is a less polished Rex Grossman," which is pretty terrifying.

Found myself thinking about a less polished Trubisky a lot during the game.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Found myself thinking about a less polished Trubisky a lot during the game.

The Tua injury has me all flipped around. My thought has been that if you are in position to get Burrows or Tua, you trade Haskins for whaever you can - a late second/early third/whatever - and ride with the real blue chipper. I just don't want to be in year four with Haskins and wondering when he is going to take the next step. I don't want to live in that Dolphins/Ryan Tannehill purgatory.

But if you are #2 and Tua is potentially damaged goods, I don't know what you do.

44 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I see where you're coming from, but you have to remember that Roullier and Haskins have had very little time to work together, so the placement and timing at the snap and during hand-offs is going to look awkward for a while.  It's an adjustment period that a lot of young QB's go through, especially after solely playing in shotgun throughout their college careers.  

The only real issue I have with Haskins is his footwork/mechanics, which is why I was one of the strongest proponents of sitting him the whole season right after we drafted him.  He needs a complete overhaul - which is possible.  It's what Aaron Rodgers did.   He needs to find a QB guru and work religiously on his footwork/mechanics this offseason.  It's what Dak did this previous offseason, and Dak's accuracy looks night and day from last year.  Haskins needs it even more than Dak did.  I hope he's humble and smart enough to seek it out.  He has all the other tools he needs to be successful in this league.

39 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

People are really trying to compare what we've so far to what we saw from Kirk early in his career?

I'm not giving up on Haskins at all, but in his rookie season Kirk came in and beat the Ravens and then came back and started the next week and won another game while RG3 was hurt. Can anyone honestly tell me they think Haskins would be capable of doing that with the same exact team from what we've seen so far? He could definitely make big strides in the last 6 games of the season, but what I've seen so far doesn't look like a QB that is ready for the NFL.

Kirk was running the read option before it was figured out. Moreover, he had a 1500 yard rusher in Morris and a veteran receiver corps led by an in his peak Garçon. Also, three of the most successful offensive coaches in the NFL this season were on that staff.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I see where you're coming from, but you have to remember that Roullier and Haskins have had very little time to work together, so the placement and timing at the snap and during hand-offs is going to look awkward for a while.  It's an adjustment period that a lot of young QB's go through, especially after solely playing in shotgun throughout their college careers.  

Seriously….this is your defense? It takes a while to adjust to a ****ing snap?

So, you figure by year 3, we'll be onto mastering handoffs.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Seriously….this is your defense? It takes a while to adjust to a ****ing snap?

So, you figure by year 3, we'll be onto mastering handoffs.

Getting the drop is tricky for NFL quarterbacks

Teaching young NFL quarterbacks how to properly take a snap from center isn’t a snap at all, coaches say, especially when those players have spent the bulk of their high school and college careers operating out of the shotgun formation.

From coast to coast — from San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick to Carolina’s Cam Newton — and a lot of places in between, quarterbacks are having to relearn their craft.

“People don’t make a big deal of it, but it’s a big deal,” said Cleveland Browns President Mike Holmgren, a noted quarterback expert who played the position at USC. “When you’re in that college offense that so many schools run, you don’t feel the same kind of pressure you feel when you’re under center.”

When he’s snug against the line of scrimmage, as opposed to standing five yards back and having the snap tossed to him, the quarterback’s perspective can change dramatically.

“You don’t even hear the same noise,” Holmgren said. “If you’re of the faint of heart, it would scare you to death.

“When you’re underneath the center, you hear every single thing: the growling, the hitting, the cursing, the spit flying. You’re close. But when you get away from the center . . . that’s why the shotgun is very comfortable for these guys.”

It might sound simple, but taking the ball directly from the center then retreating in a three-, five- or seven-step drop — all the while reading what a defense is doing — is an incredibly difficult and complex process, experts say.

“You’ve got big guys around you,” said former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, voted the league’s most valuable player in 2002. “You’ve got guards pulling. You’ve got people stepping back, people setting. You’ve got to get your feet out of there. You’ve got to sink your butt. There are a lot of different things.”

Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young said that if a quarterback has been in the shotgun throughout high school and college, it might be a lost cause to try to start him from scratch when he gets to the pros.

“When a guy hasn’t done it at all, I’d work around it,” Young said. “I’d say that if a quarterback has never been under center, I’d fiddle-faddle with it for a year or two and kind of introduce it, but I wouldn’t force-feed it. It’s that difficult.”

What looks effortless and natural on TV can be a very challenging chore, he said.

“You have to get back seven steps, and you have to move,” Young said. “Your head’s bobbing up and down, and you’ve got to try to track the safeties on the back side. That’s hard.

Eventually, dropping back becomes second nature. That can take thousands of repetitions, or — in terms of the following analogy from Young — thousands of miles on the football odometer.

“Remember when you started driving, and you got on the outside lane on the highway and thought you were going to die?” he said.

“Now, you drive with your knees, with a sandwich, on the phone, and you have the inside lane and you’re honking at everybody.

“It just takes time.”

“When I was in high school, we had to take Latin for four years,” Gannon recalled. “One of the quotes that stuck with me was ‘Repetitio est mater studiorum’ which means ‘repetition is the mother of learning.’ That’s what this is.

“If you haven’t done it, you have to rep it.”

Repetitio est mater studiorum.

But for those quarterbacks struggling to learn under center?

All Greek to them.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The only real issue I have with Haskins is his footwork/mechanics, which is why I was one of the strongest proponents of sitting him the whole season right after we drafted him.  He needs a complete overhaul - which is possible.  It's what Aaron Rodgers did.   He needs to find a QB guru and work religiously on his footwork/mechanics this offseason.  It's what Dak did this previous offseason, and Dak's accuracy looks night and day from last year.  Haskins needs it even more than Dak did.  I hope he's humble and smart enough to seek it out.  He has all the other tools he needs to be successful in this league.

Yeah, this is what we have to hope happens. Given this organization, I'm not optimistic. It's hard to imagine Haskins sitting for two more years until he learns competent footwork. He should have been drafted by a good team to sit for a few years behind a legend who is the unquestioned starter. The Saints, for example, or the Chargers.

If he's not ready to be a bona fide starter next fall, no ambitious coach is going to want Haskins around the locker room as a distraction.

I don't think anyone really wants him benched at this point, we have 6 games to see him develop and we will coast to the 1st or 2nd pick in next year's draft while doing it.

My take is I think you need a guy to benchmark at a certain level for that player to develop properly or to the point where the team can rely on him for the future, otherwise, he is developing from below average to average or above-average instead of developing from average to good or good to great.

Haskins seems to benchmark much lower than a normal 1st round pick which means he has a lot of ground to makeup and I know people talk about him needing to develop but when does that really happen in the NFL?  When does a QB who starts as a below average player all the sudden develop into a player who throws a 2-1 TD to INT ratio?

I'm trying to think back and besides a couple of guys who took 8 or 9 years to figure it out, I can't think of anyone besides Goff that looked that bad and then became a good player and in Goff's situation that seemed to be more about coaching and scheme so hopefully that's what fixes Haskins when we get to next season.

Archived