Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welp...have we seen enough..?

bakedtater1

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

He was drafted by Dan Snyder.

What else needs to be said?

We might as well get used to it and hope somewhere along the line he gets it right because, as long as he owns the team, he will always pick the QB. I can't stand even the thought of him always picking a bust, so I hope soon he gets it right.

It's way to early to say that. Let him finish the year and then next year, let's see how he does.  A full offseason of being committed to him. After year 2, you can make that determination.

It will not surprise me if Haskins is destined to have an NFL career, it won't be with the Redskins.  We aren't the type of organization to develop a raw player like Haskins. If he shows as enough the rest of the year that we feel we can build a team around him, that would be great.  If not, I wouldn't tie the new coach to him and let the next coach decide.

Haskins was starting QB for 1 year in college.

1 year.

He opted out of his last 2 years in college to be in the NFL draft. 1 season of college football is nowhere near enough for a QB much less any other player. There are so many things to learn, to experience, to suffer from, to grow into the position, just flat out experience of a college QB.

I can understand his position; NFL dollars are big bucks and the temptation can be overwhelming, but in his case he jumped the gun when he would have been better off staying in college for his remaining years.

I've been critical of his playing, but he is a very raw QB who needs a lot of work. He has arm strength, but he needs to be coached up by people who know what they're doing, so if the Redskins plan to keep him, they should treat him like they did back in the say; keep him in the background for at least a year, and draft a good QB. If the FO puts their eggs in one basket with Haskins, it will not end well, and it could jeopardize the health of WRs if he gets in the habit of throwing the ball late and across the middle.

He needs a lot of work; work that he should not be getting in real-time action.

I think DH will come around as he matures and realizes effort equals results. Last year came easy for him and clearly the NFL isn't giving him easy street. Beyond looking the part with his bandana, Lawrence Taylor earing and pearl bracelet he needs to realize he aint all that. Even his appeal to his O Line seemed a little disingenuous. I see a immature young man who needs to grow inside before he ever grows as a pro.

A problem with letting fans make managerial decisions. Haskins may ultimately end up a bust, but 3.5 games on a terrible team with no real head coach is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way too early to make any real determination. So to answer the original question, no it is not enough.

7 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I think DH will come around as he matures and realizes effort equals results. Last year came easy for him and clearly the NFL isn't giving him easy street. Beyond looking the part with his bandana, Lawrence Taylor earing and pearl bracelet he needs to realize he aint all that. Even his appeal to his O Line seemed a little disingenuous. I see a immature young man who needs to grow inside before he ever grows as a pro.

He also needs a really good QB coach, and do they have enough faith in Cavanaugh to coach him up?  This will not be a simple 2-3 month thing, its gonna take a lot of patience and growing pains. But they need to make some changes to the other QBs on the team now, maybe let one go and draft another, because its death by 1000 paper cuts or 1000 broken bones.

31 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

You'd think he'd get it by now that he's too dumb to pick the QB.

Yeah, unfortunately it's the only position he THINKS he knows. He likes to play Jerry Jones in the war room with this, and I mean only if one is up for grabs in the first round. Any other position he doesn't have a clue. He let's Allen be clueless.

It’s too soon to make a final judgement on Haskins. It just is. 

But watching him leaves a lot to be desired. His mechanics are absolutely horrendous. Which would work if he was making plays on a consistent basis, but he’s not. He literally jumps when he throws the ball more than 20 yards downfield. 

His short to intermediate arm strength is very good. Really has good velocity and puts it in good spots when throwing it outside the numbers. Quick release. He’s comfortable. On throws further, the ball looks heavy. Like he’s throwing a shotput. The first bomb to McLaurin actually looked like he was going to hurt himself while throwing. The pass itself connected, but it wasn’t a great ball. 

The second bomb to McLaurin was actually intercepted. Again, mired in poor mechanics. 

McLaurin saved him more than once. 

It’s tough to fault him for his pass catchers dropping footballs that hit them in the chest or in the hands. Which the Skins has entirely too many of. 

Mechanically, he may actually be slipping. I don’t see any improvement, and it’s possible he’s regressing. Game management wise he seems to be progressing slowly. Leadership/maturity wise, from an outside perspective, he comes across as overly confident in himself in a way that puts teammates off. 

An argument I see made here are people pointing out how bad his supporting cast has been. That’s not wrong. The supporting cast hasn’t been great at all this year, but they seem worse under Haskins. 

Why is that? I don’t know. But it’s possible one of the reasons is that they don’t believe in him as a player. Their body language says it. Guice and Peterson played hard today. McLaurin player hard. Harmon played hard. The rest of the offense seemed less than enthused.

And that doesn’t mean they purposely messed anything up. If their mental states weren’t there, then you get less than impressive results.

Now, we can’t know that. We’re not there. But the tea leaves have spoken volumes. The supporting cast has played much better under Keenum. I’m not sure what that means but my eyes tell me a story.

I think patience with Haskins could be important. And it’s possible he can pan out here. But he needs a few years to clean mechanical stuff up and mature as a human. If the team were to treat him as, say, a 4th rounder, go with someone else at QB and keep his development cycle going I’m okay with seeing how he puts things together as a Skin. 

But nothing I’ve seen so far screams franchise level quarterback.

But, you can’t give up yet. You can’t just say he’s a bust. Let’s see how this season plays out.

2 hours ago, aszumilo said:

That's a trick question.  There are none.

Its a dumb question, another dime a dozen Ohio State hater, who should probably STFU unless he's an Alabama or Clemson fan.  Cause those are the only two programs in Ohio State's stratosphere in terms of pumping out NFL talent.  

Besides Brady, who was the last Michigan QB? So were they dumb to draft Brady?

Who was the last Wisconsin QB?  Were they dumb to take Wilson?

Who was the last Purdue QB before Brees?

I can go on and on.  

Who was the last Alabama QB?

Who was Clemson's before Watson?

Who was Miami's...ever?

Who was Florida State's..ever?

Florida?  

No college football program consistently puts out good NFL QB's -- there are simply not enough of those in existence for any college football program to be able to name more than ONE successful NFL QB.  Go ahead and try, name me any college football program that has put out 2 or more good NFL QB's in the last 20 years.  

Way too early to say he’s a bust, but the fact of the matter is that Snyder took a long shot at 15th overall in the draft.

You don’t take a project and a “maybe he pans out 2 or three years down the road” that high in the draft.  We have little choice but to wait and see.  If I was a betting man the odds are far greater he ends up a bust than he does a franchise QB.  Only time will tell.

My biggest fear is that they hire the wrong head coach for the team for the sake of trying to turn water into wine with Haskins.  

28 minutes ago, profusion said:

The QB situation is going to be a big factor in which coaches are willing to come here. Their evaluation is the one that really matters.

Haskins' decision making is about what I'd expect for a rookie. His inaccuracy is not.

Given that accuracy was supposed to be a strong-point for him, Im holding out some hope that the accuracy issues are solve-able, or that they relate more to his lack of comfort right now than they do to his innate accuracy potential.

Anyhow, I think the bottom line for me is that it really would be insane to not play him the rest of the season.  We stand to gain absolutely nothing by benching him.  What is Case Keenum gonna win a few games for us?  And how would that, exactly help us.

Right now, this is the best possible thing.  We are continuing to lose games (i.e. get a high draft pick), while getting to see where we really stand at QB with Haskins.  Maybe he continues to stink it up -- good we now know what to do with our high draft pick.  Maybe he starts to show improvement -- good, now we have more options, maybe we still draft a QB, maybe we dont, but either we flexibility and more options are usually a good thing.    Or maybe he shows that he's more of a backup NFL QB.  Good, why throw the baby out with the bath water -- keep him on the roster as our backup.  

No, I haven't seen enough.  It's ugly, but I haven't lost faith that he can be really good. His main objective early today was to be ultra conservative, get the ball out quick, and not turn it over.  This was reflective in the plays called as well.  We did open it up a little more today, but it is clear he is not "seeing the field" yet, so they are playing it ultra safe.  That goes for his decision making and the coaches.  His first game he threw 22 passes, this game he threw 35.

It's good work for him to get.  He's just got to keep working. 

He seemed to scamper out of the pocket way too much.. at least 5-6 errant throws due to mechanics.  Additionally I saw at least 5-6 dropped passes, 3-4 bad snaps, penalties galore, poor blocking, and a piss poor excuse of a Defense.  Manusky shouldn't have a job.

The bar is Super Low right now, and maybe that is ok, if you really believe he can be special.  It's just really hard to see at the moment because losing sucks and our FO doesn't inspire a lot of faith.  

Later in the game he seemed more comfortable, as comfortable as I've seen him in a reg season game, albeit in garbage time.  

He did throw for over 200 yds with his first 2 TD's the 1 int. and had two passes of over 40yds and another of 60+ called back. 

Some progress was made, it's not what people want yet but it's was it is.  Just keep working and playing and let's see how he looks towards the end of the season.

4 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Beyond looking the part with his bandana, Lawrence Taylor earing and pearl bracelet he needs to realize he aint all that. Even his appeal to his O Line seemed a little disingenuous. I see a immature young man who needs to grow inside before he ever grows as a pro.

Its crazy you bring that up..that's exactly what the ole man was saying yesterday 

Archived