Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welp...have we seen enough..?

bakedtater1

It's too early.  Even after 6 more games it's too early.  He has the best arm I've ever seen in a Redskins' uniform.  But he struggles mightily with NFL concepts.  The problem is this.  If we have the #1 pick, I just don't think you can pass on Burrow.  He is just too good.  I feel bad for Haskins. He should of been drafted by a team with an older elite qb where he would have sat for 2-3 years.  Like New Orleans of LAC.  He just didn't get the right experience in college to lead an NFL team his rookie year.  I also don't see him winning 10 plus games a season anytime soon.  But I hope I'm wrong.  

On 11/18/2019 at 11:24 PM, SoCalSkins said:

You are a bust or you are not a bust. I would be wrong for claiming he was a bust. My point being that if you call him a bust 12 to 36 months from now he would be a bust from the moment he was drafted. 

I gave you pretty good reasoning why I believe he is a bust and I don’t need to see another snap to be certain. History and stats are on my side. It’s not even close. The guy is cartoonishly bad. An SNL skit of what a bust is. You want more information to draw the same conclusion. However, that’s about you and what you want to see doesn’t change the underlying fact he’s a bust at this very moment.

You are officially recorded as the first poster to declare definitively that Haskins is a bust, the very first, it's in the book.  Perhaps you'd like to change your signature to memorialize your insight lest anyone of us forget.   

13 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

It's too early.  Even after 6 more games it's too early.  He has the best arm I've ever seen in a Redskins' uniform.  But he struggles mightily with NFL concepts.  The problem is this.  If we have the #1 pick, I just don't think you can pass on Burrow.  He is just too good.  I feel bad for Haskins. He should of been drafted by a team with an older elite qb where he would have sat for 2-3 years.  Like New Orleans of LAC.  He just didn't get the right experience in college to lead an NFL team his rookie year.  I also don't see him winning 10 plus games a season anytime soon.  But I hope I'm wrong.  

These are all fair points - oh and welcome to the board - or at least posting to the board. 

For me, I am more a believer in trial by fire. Ok, we all know he was/is extremely raw. He shows flashes but so far it's been real inconsistent. If you look close he is making improvements - not so easy with the **** team in front of him. His earlier lack of intensity while somewhat concerning - is understandably considering the dumpster fire he came into. Now he is the guy and really has no reason to pout or not work hard. 

So the part I like about starting him the rest of the year is it's all on him. He either makes no improvement - at which point you have plenty of video to show dan and bruce that you need to move on (does not mean they will, but at least you have data) or he proves the naysayers wrong and makes huge strides. 

I truly do not care either way. I did not want him at 15 but if he solves the problem long term it does nothing but really help the team. They will have a lot more freedom to leverage what will be at least top 5 pick if not #1 or #2. Play him and find out with on field data. If he is still the same look for the replacement. If he makes enough improvement that he showing much stronger signs of being the long term solution then use your resources to build a team around him. At least then you never have to do the "what ifs".  This will help whoever the incoming HC is. 

Keenum did better on offense with the same "garbage" players than Haskins did.

So, are we still blaming garbage players on the current starting QB's "garbage" play?

Who knows if Haskins is a bust, but I'm not going to blame anyone else for his poor decision making.

57 minutes ago, Smooters said:

Keenum did better on offense with the same "garbage" players than Haskins did..

Not that much better. At least Dwayne has aired it out a few times.

If anything, the overall energy level picked up once Haskins went in. I'd like to see them experiment with tempo to try and get Haskins in rhythm.

1 hour ago, Smooters said:

Keenum did better on offense with the same "garbage" players than Haskins did.

First I’d have to ask if he really did look better.  Generally, I’d say yes, but if we look at apples to apples, we should probably only compare their performances under Callahan.  The offense changed, and Thompson and Davis were playing the first few weeks.

Keenum looked pretty good vs the Vikings I thought, though he only scored 6 pts by halftime.  Miami game saw a very poor completion percentage from Case.  49ers game was strange due to weather, but 0 points ain’t great.  Overall though, Keenum put up a slightly better completion %, better avg yards/attempt, better qbr, but of course, fewer points.  Both played 1 and 1/2 games vs good defenses, and 1 vs not so good defenses (though the Jets defense is better than Miami’s).  Keenum benefited from very few penalties vs Miami, whereas Haskins outing vs the Jets was penalty-ridden.  I’d also give Haskins a slight nudge due to the drops he faced vs the Jets.  But yes, Keenum probably has an edge on Haskins if we try to isolate the qb play.  
The main problem in comparing them though is that 1 is a rookie, 1 a journeyman that took the offseason snaps.  

So, are we still blaming garbage players on the current starting QB's "garbage" play?

I blame the FO and coaching more than anything.  

Who knows if Haskins is a bust, but I'm not going to blame anyone else for his poor decision making.

For the most part, I’ve been ok with his decision making, but the execution has been pretty poor.  The good news is that a lot of that can be cleaned up with reps, experience, and coaching (especially work on his mechanics).  I liked hearing that over the bye week he worked on his mechanics with his HS coach as it shows a willingness to improve it, and an admission (I think) that it does need work.  Who knows how far any of that gets him.  He was a raw draftee that hasn’t been given a ton of support - both the team around him and in terms of reps and trust - and, unsurprisingly is still raw.  I think this offseason will tell us a lot about what he can become... if he gets that support.  

Archived