Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welp...have we seen enough..?

bakedtater1

In no way do I think he's a bust. Give the guy a chance to develop. The entire team is playing horrible so it's not like he has much to work with. Scherff and Moses can't seem to block without holding. The running game has been pitiful. I'm not ready by any means to call Haskins a bust,

I would assume there are few, if any, QBs whose offenses were TD-less in their first ~12 quarters who went on to eventually become upper tier NFL passers. However, we've really got nothing to lose unless he is actively hurting the development of the rest of the team.

2 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

kid doesnt pass the eye test, one of the worst rookie qb's I have seen in a long time. Cant read the defenses, after 9 months doesnt know the playbook, mechanics all round terrible, accuracy garbage.

Having said that give him the rest of the season so even the blind here now know we need to move on!

Please tell me what we're gonna move on to....Haskins has just gotten his 2nd start in the NFL and now this? I wouldn't want any QB behind this garbage o-line and mediocre cast of WRs except Terry.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

He has talent, but also a lot of flaws. With a good coach like an Andy Reid type, he could develop into a fine starting QB(don't think he'll ever be a top 5 elite type guy). But with our organization he's more likely to be out of the league in three years.

Agree, that's why this is the wrong question.  Hes in the first year of a reasonable rookie deal.  This is not an environment currently constructed to developing QBs, we are worse then when Cousins was here. 

Drafting someone else wont matter right now, we have so many other problems, we better off riding him at least 2-3 years during a rebuild and then ask if he can be the guy.  Dont waste another draft pick or do another Alex Smith trade, hell, we need to get some contracts off the books to help whoever the hypothetical new guy would be.

I dont think hes a bust, but he doesnt need an all pro, he jus needs to not cost us games.  Right now, we could have Peyton Manning and still not have a winning record, theres that much wrong with this organization right now, let alone the team.

Not a valid discussion. The real problem is that he was drafted in the first place, against the coaches desperate wishes. They should have just moved on from Gruden last season, if this was going to be how they planned for moving forward. It was simply a wasted season and now they are in a terrible bind. Draft Burrows or such, relying on a tiny sample size for the talented young QB they drafted, and decide whether or not to move on based on such evaluations.  Ineptitude is the only way to describe this debacle. 

On a normal football team, even a bad one, I would say of course he needs more time to grow and could wind up great.

The Redskins have no idea what they're doing, no idea who would be coaching him, and that will surely affect him. 

I'm not even worried about the QB at this point, I'm just hoping things change with a real GM and an overhaul of everything...which would include the QB.  So hate on Haskins or love him, the poor guy is in a terrible situation.  

On one hand, I don't see how you can possibly come to this conclusion based on the sample size.

On the other hand, I've seen nothing from draft night until now that leads me to believe he is anything close to being "the guy".

Ride it out the rest of the season and let the new coaching staff evaluate before the 2020 draft, I guess.

Well, of course, it's more than just two games. 

I'm sure many here want to make the "sample size" as infinitesimally small as possible. But it is far more than just the games he's started for the WFC. 

It goes back to last season at ohio state and the complexity, or lack thereof, of the scheme there. More to the point, it was simple, basic. The rawness displayed there in the 1st season as starter. Or more to the point, the clearly underdeveloped status that Haskins truly was when deciding to enter early. 

And it also encapsulates the prior two years when on scholarship. Sitting completely in 2016 and a backup in 2017 with a tiny amount of snaps. It begs the question just what the hell was Haskins studying for two years prior to being the stater, because when he was the starter, it was bare bones basic. 

It was simple route concepts nearly all the time. And not just a simple two route route concept but it was almost entirely cordoned off to 1/3rd field reads. Massive simplification. And not only that, Haskins clung to his primary read almost exclusively. So, it was a 3rd year man doing 1st year stuff ... why?

And of course two games in the NFL is not the sample size either, even if you just want to limit the scope to just the professional game. The sample size started the day he was drafted to this point in time now. That's months upon months of time to prep and work. There's nothing in the world stopping Haskins from being a playbook nerd and learning every nuance possible. And yet, darn if it isn't the case that things look like simple iso routes the majority of the time. 

Predetermined playcalling to a specific route without having to process much of anything, exemplified with the abundant amount of screens and dump offs, which ironically seems to go haywire themselves often enough. 

That's all before anyone wants to talk about mechanics. Or any of the other myriad of things a QB needs to do to win at the NFL level, like pre-snap awareness, slide protections, film study clues, etc. 

But, let's just call it two games so that the "evaluation" process can take an interminably lone time and clutter people's mind's enough to forget that the organization should by all rights draft another QB, immediately. 

Haskins got better every week while at Ohio State, he looked more confident and was more successful in the second half today.  If he continues to improve at this pace he will be the where everyone thinks he should be now by the end of the season.  The rest of the team looks crappy with very little hope for getting better.  Our O line needs a complete overhaul, our defense needs know leadership and direction.  We are not a good QB away from being a good team, so let the young man develop and let's try to build a team around him.

I was back and forth on Haskins before the draft, as the draft got closer I was out on Haskins and on draft day i actively lobbied for them not to draft him. 

Still, I am not vested in my predictions if they are on this team, I am rooting for them all to succeed.  

I'd say since we drafted Haskins if anything the arrow is pointing even further down than what I felt in April.  But, still, it's way too early.    Let the dude work through the ups and downs.  So at the minimum give him the season before having a strong verdict IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Well, of course, it's more than just two games. 

I'm sure many here want to make the "sample size" as infinitesimally small as possible. But it is far more than just the games he's started for the WFC. 

It goes back to last season at ohio state and the complexity, or lack thereof, of the scheme there. More to the point, it was simple, basic. The rawness displayed there in the 1st season as starter. Or more to the point, the clearly underdeveloped status that Haskins truly was when deciding to enter early. 

And it also encapsulates the prior two years when on scholarship. Sitting completely in 2016 and a backup in 2017 with a tiny amount of snaps. It begs the question just what the hell was Haskins studying for two years prior to being the stater, because when he was the starter, it was bare bones basic. 

It was simple route concepts nearly all the time. And not just a simple two route route concept but it was almost entirely cordoned off to 1/3rd field reads. Massive simplification. And not only that, Haskins clung to his primary read almost exclusively. So, it was a 3rd year man doing 1st year stuff ... why?

And of course two games in the NFL is not the sample size either, even if you just want to limit the scope to just the professional game. The sample size started the day he was drafted to this point in time now. That's months upon months of time to prep and work. There's nothing in the world stopping Haskins from being a playbook nerd and learning every nuance possible. And yet, darn if it isn't the case that things look like simple iso routes the majority of the time. 

Predetermined playcalling to a specific route without having to process much of anything, exemplified with the abundant amount of screens and dump offs, which ironically seems to go haywire themselves often enough. 

That's all before anyone wants to talk about mechanics. Or any of the other myriad of things a QB needs to do to win at the NFL level, like pre-snap awareness, slide protections, film study clues, etc. 

But, let's just call it two games so that the "evaluation" process can take an interminably lone time and clutter people's mind's enough to forget that the organization should by all rights draft another QB, immediately. 

When I am this much in agreement with Monk, it usually portends either something wonderful or something horrifying.

I doubt he ever pans out. One thing I've learned watching the NFL is that rarely do quarterbacks that look horrible all of a sudden blossom and become great players. If had shown some flashes then I'd say give it time. He has the rest of the year to show something, if not I'd say it is time to move on. Try trading him for a fourth rounder or something. 

Archived