Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 - 2020 NCAA Basketball Thread - Cancelled, Go Home People

PleaseBlitz

Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa will miss 12 games as he was among four players suspended by the Big 12 on Wednesday for their roles in a brawl between the Jayhawks and Kansas State on Tuesday night.

In addition to De Sousa's suspension, which was the stiffest of the four, the Jayhawks' David McCormack received a two-game ban. For Kansas State, James Love will miss eight games, while Antonio Gordon must sit for three games.

So they get De Sousa back for the Big 12 Tournament and NCAA Tournament.  

Predictably, Kansas fans think they are getting hosed because it was all KSU's fault and what chair?  :ols:

Okay, back to actual college basketball, not MMA at Phog Allen.

Big 12 / SEC challenge today.  I'm on a delay for the WVU game, with 8 minutes to go, Missouri is getting beaten up in all respects.  :deadhorse:

I'd say their saving grace is that WVU can't make free throws, but we are outrebounding them so bad, we miss a FT, get the rebound, and score every time.  

FWIW, this guy is sub-.500 picking against the spread, but he makes a good point that TT is going to be desperate.  WVU is a really young team and so far has not done well going into extremely hostile environments.  Once/if they turn that corner, they will be scary. 

No. 12 West Virginia at Texas Tech (-2), 8 p.m. (ESPN+): Boy, do the Red Raiders need this one. After Saturday’s overtime loss to Kentucky, they’re just 1-7 in Quad 1 games and sitting dangerously close to the NCAA Tournament cut line. But here comes a West Virginia team that’s No. 1 in the country in defense, which is supposed to be Texas Tech’s domain. The Mountaineers won the first matchup, 66-54, on Jan. 11 in Morgantown. Expect a rock fight, since neither team scores easily in the first place. If Texas Tech loses this one, it could be looking at a four-game skid because the next game is, gulp, at Kansas. It’s hard for me to buy a Chris Beard team sinking that far, so I’ll say the Red Raiders eke this one out. The pick: Texas Tech

That was the best game I've watched all year.  Two evenly matched teams.  I like both of them to make deep runs in March.  LSU has a bunch of big strong dudes who can score in the paint and rebound.  Skylar Mays is a great senior leader.  He had an uncharacteristic turnover at the end of regulation that helped Auburn win.

#14 WVU has been playing like **** their last 4 games.  Not sure why, but I trust Huggins to fix it.  The next 2 games will probably decide a lot about their season.  They play #3 Kansas tonight at home and turn around and play #1 Baylor in Waco on Saturday.  If they lose both, they'll end up with a mediocre season, probably a 5 seed, and I'll probably pick them to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament.  Win both and they'll shoot up the rankings, have a ton of momentum for the rest of their schedule against bottom feeders (except for playing Baylor again to end the regular season) and into the Big 12 tournament, and probably get a 2 seed in the big dance, but maybe the last 1 seed.*  Split and everything will remain TBD.

*It would suit this team perfectly to beat both Kansas and Baylor, and then **** the bed the next game at home against an Oklahoma State team that is 2-9 in conference play.  

Defending national champs UVA has been stringing together some scrappy, ugly ACC wins lately. They’re still struggling big time with losing their top 4 scorers to the NBA, but starting to find ways to get it done.

Right now they’re a projected bubble team, Lunardi had them as an 11 seed in his most recent bracket. With their style of play and experience in the tournament last year, that’s an absolute NIGHTMARE matchup for the 6 seed (and subsequently 3 and 2 seeds) in their region. Notably, the 11 seed is commonly where surprise runs are made from because you have a relatively easy first game and you avoid the 1 seed until the elite 8. 

Now don’t get me wrong, UVA sucks this year. But the more their team plays together and finds ways to win, the more dangerous they are going to be in March. Worth keeping an eye on. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived