Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would you do IF YOU bought the team???

a0tmike21

01) Retire Sean's #21.

02) Fire Bruce Allen, spend time searching for the best possible GM I could find.

03) Sit down with Trent and try to fix things. He deserves better.

3.5) Talk with every other player on the roster to get their input and opinions on the old onwer/FO/staff and how to fix things.

04) Probably offer KOC the HC job and allow him to pick every coach on the staff. If KOC doesn't work out, the GM will be responsible for hiring his replacement.

05) Huge upgrades to our scouting departments, again search for the absolute best options available.

06) Replace the medical staff. Upgrade in every way possible.

07) Vast improvements to all team facilities. Weight rooms, the field itself, etc.

08) Really focus on keeping fans and current/former players at the center of attention. There's a full generation of damage to repair and people need to see that MY Redskins team intends to make every effort possible to rebuild bridges, win games and revive the passion in the fanbase.

09) Work on getting the team into a new stadium and make sure that it's permanent once that's done.

1. Hire a competent GM.

2. Stay out of Football decisions

3. Upgrade facilities 

4. Get stadium deal done

5. Name - find a Native American Tribe that is interested in some sort of affiliation/licensing type deal a la FSU. There has to be a tribe out there interested in such a deal. The Washington Cherokee? Washington Navajo? You can keep most of the colors and logos (I think our Brave is based on a member of the Delaware Tribe so that may need some adjustment. If not, go back to being the Braves. The name is going to change sooner or later. However, to me a full rebrand to me, would make it feel like a completely different franchise.  

10 hours ago, Learned Hand said:

2. Stay out of Football decisions

I honestly never really understood this sentiment.

What's the point of owning an NFL team if you don't make decisions regarding it? Why would you want to completely turn your billion dollar business over to someone else?

I don't think there is a single successful owner in sports who is not involved in the sports-related decisions.

Should the owner make every decision alone? Of course not. But the idea that you should want an absentee owner is stupid.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

What's the point of owning an NFL team if you don't make decisions regarding it? Why would you want to completely turn your billion dollar business over to someone else?

I don't think there is a single successful owner in sports who is not involved in the sports-related decisions.

Should the owner make every decision alone? Of course not. But the idea that you should want an absentee owner is stupid.

I think you're talking two extremes there.  Dan's level of involvement far exceeds what most other owners are doing.  Do you really want yours 'taking over the first round of the draft' or targeting FAs, or wining/dining/bowling with players?  

The ideal setup is the owner as an approval point in the workflow.  Sure, he should have a say, but only after the FO has decided on the player.  

5 minutes ago, megared said:

I think you're talking two extremes there.  Dan's level of involvement far exceeds what most other owners are doing.  Do you really want yours 'taking over the first round of the draft' or targeting FAs, or wining/dining/bowling with players?  

The ideal setup is the owner as an approval point in the workflow.  Sure, he should have a say, but only after the FO has decided on the player.  

I always thought that the owner should at the very least give the overall direction he wants from the team.

The Reuben Foster drama late last year was a perfect example of where you want your owner to step up and and prevent such kind of mess. The Trent Williams Saga should also have the owner step in to sort this out before it comes to much of a distraction. In this case you'd love to have an owner stepping in, takes notes of what happens (both sides if possible) then thell the GM: Trade him ASAP if there's no clear solution in sight. 

I can even see him telling who to choose, or not in the first round, on some specific case. There's not a thing he shouldn't have a say.

But obviously, if the owner can just sleep and not care about anything then it means your team is doing good.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:51 AM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I played two years of JV football and watched football all my life. I have that amount of understanding the game. Accordingly, I have no business making football decisons from Xs and Os to player moves. The only business I have with "my" hypothetical football team, is setting the tone and culture for excellence as an organization, including accountability. The only football decision I should be making is doing my best to hire the right people to implement that vision. I may have to step in and be an arbiter if there is a seriousness issue that is deadlocked between GM and Coach - but if I made the right hiring decisions, it should rarely, if ever, come to that.

i live my life with the saying "true wisdom is knowing you know nothing." That's how I think one should own a football team unless you have the football experience resume.

I'd convince Snyder that I really respect his football acumen and beg him to stay on as GM on a three year contract.  Then I'd fire him a week later and hire a poodle/golden retriever hybrid dog in his place.  I'd bring Dan into the office and tell him that I found a more qualified candidate because, while the football knowledge base was about equal, the golden doodle would be dander free and doesn't shed.  Dan might argue that he is also dander free and non-shedding, but I'd tell him I'm going with the dog because its younger.

Then I'd fire the golden doodle and hire a real GM.

Day One: significant housecleaning of a highly toxic front office.

Reach out to well established GMs and other operations people for recommendations for a top notch GM and President; grant full authority on personnel decisions as I am nowhere near qualified to evaluate the needs of the team in order to win games while keeping 20 boxes of pens to sign checks.  😀

Re-establish HOME WHITE jerseys (and burgundy pants).

Revamp the radio broadcast booth ... PxP: Frank Herzog (for his signature touchdown call) or Mike Patrick; Offensive Analysis: Cooley or Theismann; Defensive Analysis: Darrell Green; The "Whatever He Wants to Do" Guy: Doc Walker.

Marching bands at half time, whether it be the Redskins marching band or showcasing local/regional schools.  Virginia Tech's "Marching Virginians" - some 330 strong - played halftime in 1989 at RFK versus the Cardinals.  Maryland is just up the road as well as plenty of high school bands.

Identify improvements needed to the stadium, both short team (in the event of a new stadium deal is still on the table) and long term (if staying in Landover is what happens), that includes restoring Coca Cola products.

Add more tailgating time; five hours before kickoff still never felt like enough.  😀

Research and implement a plan to stop the huge swaths of opposing teams' fans invading our home turf.

1.) Immediately rebuilt the entire Front Office.  Hire a real football talent as GM (with scouting background) & rebuild scouting department.  

2.) Change team name.  Just change name to Warriors & change logo/color scheme.  Burgundy & gold instead of yellow lol Spear on helmet would be slick.

3.) Build new stadium in DC (preferably old RFK site).  If not build stadium near Nats park if possible.  Should be easier now that Snyder is out and name has been changed! 

4.) Retire numbers properly.  9, 28, 42, 44, 81.  Get them all retired before anybody passes away.  All other numbers that are “unofficially retired” are now made available if not retired by me, the owner.

5.) Wake up.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, Learned Hand said:

I played two years of JV football and watched football all my life. I have that amount of understanding the game. Accordingly, I have no business making football decisons from Xs and Os to player moves. The only business I have with "my" hypothetical football team, is setting the tone and culture for excellence as an organization, including accountability. The only football decision I should be making is doing my best to hire the right people to implement that vision. I may have to step in and be an arbiter if there is a seriousness issue that is deadlocked between GM and Coach - but if I made the right hiring decisions, it should rarely, if ever, come to that.

i live my life with the saying "true wisdom is knowing you know nothing." That's how I think one should own a football team unless you have the football experience resume.

My drafts would be amazing.

I have the war room all laid out in my head. Giant video screens. A sushi buffet. Glorious.

22 hours ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

I'd seek past successful GMs and coaches to advice me on hiring a competent GM and then get out of the way.

Why wouldn't you just hire the guys you are asking for advice on?

This is another thing I've never really understood. Why does anyone think Joe Gibbs has a list of ten sleeper picks to run the Redskins in 2019?

You know who I would hire for GM? Chrissy Teigen. That would change the culture for damn sure. I bet it would be fun.

Along with several of the above ideas, I would hire Brian Mitchell as a consulting/P.R./quality control guy.

Next, I would try to "buy out" the current lease for FedEx Field, and get moving forward on a new stadium site, preferably the RFK site, or out by Dulles Airport/Metro Silver Line (proximity to Northern Virginia fan base, the largest segment of the ticket holder base). 

Then, for cosmetic details, go back to the dark maroon and maize color scheme.  And since nickname change would very likely be a proviso for being the new owner, rename them the Washington Cannons (the weaponry of choice used at the forts built around the city to protect the Capitol building, in the 1800s).  If not the Cannons, then Sentinels.

On 11/19/2019 at 12:54 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Why wouldn't you just hire the guys you are asking for advice on?

This is another thing I've never really understood. Why does anyone think Joe Gibbs has a list of ten sleeper picks to run the Redskins in 2019?

You know who I would hire for GM? Chrissy Teigen. That would change the culture for damn sure. I bet it would be fun.

Gibbs wouldn't even be on my list. I'm talking guys like Cowher, Ozzie Newsome, etc. Maybe hire Ozzie Newsome.

1.) Change the nickname. If I have the money to buy a multi-billion dollar NFL team, I can take whatever short-term, financial hit that comes along with rebranding. 

1a.) After hiring a "transition team" to help with the aftermath, fire Bruce Allen and conduct an Stalin-esque purge of the management - from the front office to the strength and conditioning staff. This franchise's troubles are systemic and must be treated as such - clean house and start over, with all the slings and arrows that come along with it.

2.) Make a phone call to Jeff Lurie and ask him how he took a struggling franchise approaching rock bottom with terrible facilities and ask him how he did it in Philadelphia. As much as it may pain us to admit it, the Eagles have become the anti-Redskins not only on the field but off the field (i.e. actively engaged with with their community vs. actively alienated from their community) and Lurie is one of the more respected team owners in the League. He basically had to rebuild twice - once i the 1990s and then again after the Chip Kelly fiasco - and while it wasn't perfect, it was a sight better than anything we've seen under the current regime in Ashburn. 

3.) After gleaming whatever wisdom I can from Lurie and the aforementioned transition team, rebuild the front office and let them get to work on "football matters." I know next-to-nothing about how to build a football team and I'm not going to pretend I do. The owner ought to be the person who writes the checks and is the public face of the team. Speaking of - 

4.) Go on the most ambitious goodwill tour imaginable and apologize for the way the franchise has actively alienated the Greater Washington, D.C. Area and beyond, both through the press and through "town hall style" meetings from the Eastern Shore to Martinsburg to Newport News. This would include scouting for a new stadium site. This would also include multiple community meetings in D.C.'s 7th Ward where the RFK Stadium site is located. There's been a lot of justified push back against building a new stadium there. If this team is going to build a stadium there, we're going to go about it in the most responsible way possible. 

Fire coaches. 80% of them coordinators head coach gone. Draft new QB LT, RT and Center and TE. Get rid of defensive backfield except Moreland and Dunbar.Stuck with Collins. Trade Williams and Sweat. Try to get a 5th for Haskins. That will take the whole draft and the some and free agency but i can bring this team back to the Super Bowl. Guaranteed.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Let's make a distinction here between overall direction and philosophy, direct control of who the GM is and a say in who is hired as HC and, on another extreme defensive play calling (Snyder once put a gallon of ice cream on Mike Nolans desk when he was the DC here with a note saying "I don't like vanilla') and the draft board.

My to do list of I suddenly became the owner would be.

1. Fire Allen

2. Hire the best GM I possibly can. I would interview Doug Williams but I'd want to cast the net much wider (and I would see if Peyton Manning was interested in the job with possibly an equity stake if he did)

3. Empower that GM to make whatever changes in personnel and structure of the front office he wanted to.

4. Also empower him to make whatever HC hire he wanted - I would have veto but he'd be making the hire.

5. Hire a football business guy to completely overhaul the marketing, sales and PR operation. That to include stadium relocation and experience.

6. Take a deep and personal interest in cheerleader try outs.

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

How about not? We already had enough of a problem in that area.  Personally, I would have ended the cheerleader program at that point.

SMH at all the people suggesting name changes.

7 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

How about not? We already had enough of a problem in that area.  Personally, I would have ended the cheerleader program at that point.

SMH at all the people suggesting name changes.

Let me introduce you to the concept of a 'joke' ...

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I was thinking about that. How is it possible that 3 pages in nobody already made a plan regarding cheerleaders...

Obviously I would made it mandatory for them to havee a bust of 36FF at least to be a cheerleader of this team.

3c161496d4975689062b1b162fb848ec.jpg

Archived