Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would you do IF YOU bought the team???

a0tmike21

In light of all the craziness around our team, and now the news of Bevos hanging out with Snyder and wanting to buy a team.  I thought it would be fun to think about what would you do IF YOU bought the Washington Redskins.  Just a fun thread to kick around and I'm curious what changes other people would make.  For me I thought about the name change, I grew up a skins fan and never looked at it as a negative.  However times change and if there is a large group of people who find it offensive then maybe it should be changed.  I personally love tradition and I think I would change the name back to its original one.  In 1932 the team was founded in Boston and named the Boston Braves, then changed to the Redskins in 1933.  I like the sound of the Washington Braves!!! And with that we wouldn't have to change the logo, team colors, or any of the traditions with the franchise; maybe Hail to the redskins would have to change but really that's it.  Of course I would fire Bruce Allen, change the whole front office, hire a GM and let him do his job.  What else?  What would you guys do?  

Rebrand day 1. The Skins brand is toxic at this point. Treat this as basically an expansion team... accordingly: 

Spend big bucks on an analytics-focused front office. Spend little bucks on coaching at first. Trade away all expensive veterans. Accumulate draft picks. Intentionally tank for like 2-3 years. Sell the fanbase on "trust the process" much like the Astros did when they were losing 100 games.

Try to open a new stadium around the same time the team is getting good. 

Do a thorough analysis on what teams have had the best draft record over the last 5 years, and from this assemble a list of QUALIFIED GM candidates. Interviews would follow - not just by me, but by a consulting group. Hire the best candidate, and charge him with hiring the next head coach. Make it clear that there will be a 3 year grace period to shed all the deadweight from the roster.

Strip Brucifer naked and tied to a sheep, and force him to do 2 laps around FedEx field while Trent Williams rings a bell and shouts "Shame...Shame..." while fans pelt him with all the stale beer and peanuts the team had been selling.

52 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Rebrand day 1. The Skins brand is toxic at this point. Treat this as basically an expansion team... accordingly: 

What would you rebrand them as?

I was thinking: The Washington Marshalls.  This would honor our original owner and keep a tie to the past while rebranding our future.

35 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I was thinking: The Washington Marshalls.  This would honor our original owner and keep a tie to the past while rebranding our future.

Marshall was a notorious racist.  In fact, there is a movement trying to get the memorial to Marshall outside of Fed Ex removed.

So I’m not sure the Washington Marshalls would go over so well.  😂 

39 minutes ago, mojo said:

Marshall was a notorious racist.  In fact, there is a movement trying to get the memorial to Marshall outside of Fed Ex removed.

So I’m not sure the Washington Marshalls would go over so well.  😂 

Yeah, but he was from a different time.  Plus, he is in the HOF, so he can't be all bad right?

Establish a ring of shame and immediately put Dan and Bruce in it. All toilets would have their faces in them. At half time of every home game I'd pick a random fan and let them attempt to kick a field goal (football with Dan's ass on it) from 45 yards out, if they made it they would get season tickets for life.

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

Marshal? While he was the original owner, he was also wildly and radically racists to a level that would make most people blush. No, not the Marshals.

Re-brand to something like the Washington Warriors or just take the name Washington Sentinels (from the movie).

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

As owner I would hire top dollar marketing consultants for this purpose. But some ideas I've seen tossed around:

Federals (fits with Nationals, Capitals themes)- probably my favorite for starting fresh

Stars and Stripes (Stars for short) - go with a patriotic theme

Warriors - logo can be the throwback spear 

3 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

Jesus Christ.

Your solution to the naming issue is to choose a MORE offensive name? That's impressive.

Why not the Washington Klansmen?

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Federals (fits with Nationals, Capitals themes)- probably my favorite for starting fresh

Stars and Stripes (Stars for short) - go with a patriotic theme

Warriors - logo can be the throwback spear 

Federals - a 2 year nightmare (7-22)

Stars - can't stand looking at the ones in Dallas

Warriors - seems to be what most people agree to except it is shared with a pro team in SF. 

Hire someone to fill Bruce Allen's role that NFL agrees is right person to run the franchise and turn it around.

That person will hire the GM, who will hire the coach, who will say who they want the QB to be.  I want accountability to be our identity as a football team, that will transcend any football scheme.

As owner, my goal will be asking what we need to the best at everything possible and get it for them.  At the same time, I'd prioritize rebuilding the fan base, I would not rely on winning doing that alone.  I'd drop ticket prices, concession, and parking prices to the lowest on average in the league knowing the majority of my money comes from TV contracts.

And yes, I'd move the team to a 60k open air stadium on top of the RFK site.  I would also change the name of the team to Washington Warriors using a darker version of the 70th anniversary jersey.  I'd put jus as much effort into public relations as I would winning football games.

And I'd do regular Q&A interviews and require the same of who I tapped to be President.  I'd discuss with the NFL the legality and practicality of turning of full ownership to DC after my death and buying out the minority owners on the condition the city meets certain affordable housing requirements instead of kicking out all the broke people. This would require an exception similar to what the Packers have and their public nature (though a single government instead 100k plus share holders), and like the Packers, I'd release the franchise balance sheet with every league year.

1.   HIre a consulting firm to look at the culture and look for ways to improve

2.  Fire who needs to be fired 

3.  Hire pragmatic people at every possible level that do the right thing but not at the expense of team values

4.  Invest in independent reviews every 3-5 years to reevaluate culture and football strategy

5.  Hire sports psychologists and make sure every player has regular sessions (individual or group)

6.  Invest in analytics and require that it be included in football decisions

7.  Draft, bring in Ray Lewis hype machines that guys can rally around

8.  Create a mechanism for players to provide feedback on football strategy

10. Win championships

Archived