Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are we this bad on the field?

D’Pablo

Other than Bosa most folks couldn't name a single player on the 49ers, but I'm sitting here watching them and they are looking like the class of the NFL right now.  No big name flashy players. Just a Dominant defense and hard nosed style of play on both sides of the ball.  Now I'm no expert on culture,  but from my untrained eyes I see a front office that built that team and staff with a clear vision and solid plan.  What a noble concept!!!!  Are they the most talented roster? Nope, but they're certainly showing us what solid leadership from top to bottom looks like and how a "damn good culture" should look like. 

Saw this somewhere else: Skins are playing with a $44.7 million cap hit on a $188 million salary cap, that’s 23% not on the field (Alex, TW, Reed, Foster). $28 million on unproductive players (Kerrigan & Norman). $10 million on CT and Vernon who constantly miss games. That’s like half the cap. 

41 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Saw this somewhere else: Skins are playing with a $44.7 million cap hit on a $188 million salary cap, that’s 23% not on the field (Alex, TW, Reed, Foster). $28 million on unproductive players (Kerrigan & Norman). $10 million on CT and Vernon who constantly miss games. That’s like half the cap. 

Not to mention that the former Redskins team would beat the actual Redskins team up and down the field. Especially with the former Redskins coaching staff coaching them. Kyle Shanahan as HC McVay as OC, Gregg Williams as DC etc.

Most of our players aren't that good. Frankly, they could be packing groceries come January.

That 2012 RGIII draft set us back at least for a decade. Instead of spreading our picks by trading down,

we've systematically drafted players for more than they are worth. That's led to weak rosters.

Good teams play the numbers, take a bunch of picks and hope they luck out.

If you combine that with a decent people management, good things happen. 

Do it consistently and suddenly you have a good NFL team.

X: The people picking the players and the coaches are bad at it

O. The people who were picked and then responsible for developing players bad at it.

There are your X's and O'x.  Anyone who thinks a teams 20 year failure in a league is because of a lack of X's and O'x just doesnt understand sport, business, and building anything with humans.

Outside of this season, the worst record the last four years was 7-9. That's not great, but hardly awful. Just really mediocre. And the talent level wasn't really any better than the record. So those were reasonable results given the players. That means we're really just talking about this year in terms of on the field performance. And the easy answer there is offense. 108 points ranks dead last in the league. In pure yards, the team does edge out the Jets and Dolphins. So it ranks 30th in total yards (26th in running, 31st in passing). That's because of a mediocre OL (at best) combined with poor QB play and overall poor receivers. The defense isn't bad, but it's not elite and when the offense consistently does nothing, it basically puts it all on the defense to do anything. That'll lose most weeks.

A head coach chooses { for the most part } his assistants, to help out in the different aspects of a team.

However, this team has decided 'hey, let's hire some of our old players from years gone by to perk up fan support', and it ends up being a failure.

So, you can look at it from this perspective;

1. Bad head coaching/game management

2. Awful and clueless assistants

3. Weak practices

4. Injury-prone players

5. Horrible strength & conditioning dept

6. Outdated bland facilities

7. Severe lack of team leadership

These are all fixable issues; problem is, the assistants that were here had qualities that could lift this team out of the dumpster and into respectability, but we all know the story with them, and when the HC is clueless, its not like an assistant can override his decision-making.

17 hours ago, Califan007 said:

No QB (so far) and no coach.

Yep & except for in last few weeks IMO this was handled very, very poorly.

If Gruden was not on board with Haskins then why in the hell was he brought back as coach?  If it was obvious that he a major issue with this then it should have been a no brainer to not bring him back as coach (ditto for Manusky & still scratching my head as to why this guy is still coaching).

Beyond that when it was obvious that the Redskins were not making the playoffs (even the biggest homer would have to admit that was after Bears game or Giants at latest) they should have went 100% with Haskins (flaws & all).  They delayed this & then even waffled when he initially started.  Keenum & McCoy are career backups & serve no value to this team long term - leave them as backups at best.  The poor decisions for the QB position have a major effect on the entire offense & team.  Good teams would have handled this much better in most cases.

9 hours ago, Jericho said:

Outside of this season, the worst record the last four years was 7-9. That's not great, but hardly awful. Just really mediocre. And the talent level wasn't really any better than the record. So those were reasonable results given the players. That means we're really just talking about this year in terms of on the field performance. And the easy answer there is offense. 108 points ranks dead last in the league. In pure yards, the team does edge out the Jets and Dolphins. So it ranks 30th in total yards (26th in running, 31st in passing). That's because of a mediocre OL (at best) combined with poor QB play and overall poor receivers. The defense isn't bad, but it's not elite and when the offense consistently does nothing, it basically puts it all on the defense to do anything. That'll lose most weeks.

Good pt & this makes me think that it may be better to have a horrible & not mediocre season in 2019.  All of those previous mediocre seasons provided false hope for Snyder/Allen & made those clowns believe that they were a player or two away from a championship (laughable).  They subsequently made some poor moves & convinced themselves that they could run the FO without a true football GM.  IMO the biggest mistake was when they fired Scott M & didn't immediately replace him with a proven NFL GM (or at least try).  Even making Doug Williams a true GM & giving him the related power would have been a start (instead of just making him a puppet).

22 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Because we still owed him two years of salary, and Dan didn't want it to go to waste.

Lol - probably true.  So they wind up giving Gruden the money anyhow & having Gruden being embarrassed by a horrible start. They also didn't get to even consider Haskins nor play AP (except for Guice injury) since Gruden didn't like either one of them.  Brilliant & someone is actually asking why the players perform poorly on the field?  LOL.

The Rams were an elite team last year, but the wearing down of Gurley and more importantly the breakdown of their offensive line has rendered them rather average.

Our OL is well below average, with the vaunted right side grossly underperforming. This is likely to be even more of an issue now with Haskins starting, since he tends to be erratic under pressure.

Our secondary still doesn't have a solid free safety, and Norman has been toasted more times than a loaf of bread at a Greek Diner. 

On top of all this, the last creative mind we had was McVay. Everyone on both sides of the ball is plugged into a system...and yet the back 7 on defense still don't seem to be on the same page.

Imagine if Lamar Jackson had been drafted by the Redskins, and had to learn under Gruden rather than Harbaugh. We would all be complaining bitterly about another draft bust, rather than seeing him light up the field.

17 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

Thanks, Burgold. Literally every thread in this forum is hijacked by discussions about culture, the front office, and Dan Snyder. These are all issues that contribute to a poor product. Yet, this thread is about the objective performance we see on the field, not how Bruce Allen may have said something snarky about Player X, and now no one is capable of playing even mediocre football.

If you’re uninterested in engaging in this topic, please don’t litter the thread with what we all already know. I already know you’re right to some degree, but I’d like to know what the next set of players, coaches, front office personnel, and/or owners (we can wish) will have to fix in the coming years.

I agree about the FO whining. 

We're wildly unprepared and then outcoached and it's hard for a professional to go to work, when they're bosses cant be counted on. I think everyone tries, but its gotta be discouraging. 

One of our first games I remember Spiff making a comment in the game day thread I think. He was on the field. At halftime, the other teams players ran excitedly off the field. Our players walked begrudgingly with heads down. It was a close game too.

1 hour ago, dicksogj said:

Good pt & this makes me think that it may be better to have a horrible & not mediocre season in 2019.  All of those previous mediocre seasons provided false hope for Snyder/Allen & made those clowns believe that they were a player or two away from a championship (laughable).  They subsequently made some poor moves & convinced themselves that they could run the FO without a true football GM.  IMO the biggest mistake was when they fired Scott M & didn't immediately replace him with a proven NFL GM (or at least try).  Even making Doug Williams a true GM & giving him the related power would have been a start (instead of just making him a puppet).

why do you believe those mediocre seasons are the false ones, and not this season?

16 minutes ago, carex said:

why do you believe those mediocre seasons are the false ones, and not this season?

I didn't say that those previous seasons were false ones.  I said that they provided false hope for Snyder/Allen.  My pt is that they may need to hit rock bottom to be somewhat realistic about the team & their players.  However with these fools even that may not make them come to their senses.  Honestly I think that you could easily make a case that Snyder is the only NFL owner who would have put up with Allen this long.

So Carex - I reread your reply & understand.  OK - let's say that the previous seasons were more realistic & this team is just mediocre & not really bad.  Great - so this is the MO for several of the Snyder years.  Finish around .500 - on the occasional season have a one & done playoff season & then miss the playoffs the following few seasons. Who the hell wants that?

The goal should always be to eventually go to & win the SB.  Any goal less than this is pretty lame.  That doesn't mean that you put all of your chips in for one season, but rather in many cases slowly build for an eventual SB run.  The Redskins always seem to take the impatient approach & always misjudge their worth.

A team with a long term goal wouldn't do something like tag Cousins twice & then trade for and extend an aging game manager like Alex Smith. That is a move done for a team that a best wants to squeak into the playoffs.  They have several other recent moves along these lines (including how they have bungled the Williams situation).

The Redskins need to be patient, build the team the correct way & take their lumps just before they potentially can achieve true success (like say the 49ers).  I truly believe that this will never occur as long as Bruce Allen is a part of the organization.

46 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Most have probably forgotten this, but Dannyboy fired the groundskeepers right after he bought the team.

I hadn’t realized this... I wonder if the field conditions are actually worse, though. In the 90’s, artificial turf was rare and pretty terrible. We may have been comparatively better, but perhaps not by today’s standards.

Archived