Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you been shamed for wearing Redskins team gear in public?

Boss_Hogg

I mostly get pity these days. A few ask me why I would wear it. It’s mostly cowboys fans so I know they have no understanding of what it means to be a fan and are just on the bandwagon. But even the ones who know football are almost disappointed because it’s no fun for them anymore to harass or pick on Redskins fans. Yeah, they make the jokes about how they suck, but they aren’t the same as when the team is competitive. 

I've never been shamed for wearing Redskins gear, but I've gotten genuine pity from other football fans. From that perspective we are probably clumped into fans of teams like the Dolphins, Bengals and Browns of old. 

Specifically with the name I have had some very open discussions with friends of mine that are Native Americans. One specific conversation sticks out where it was me (white guy) and 4 Native Americans. 2 didn't care, one was offended and the other didn't feel good about it, but also didn't want to make an issue about it. Overall a very small sample, but knowing the people and hearing how it made them feel I do look at things a bit differently. 

For me the name doesn't mean too much, so I respectively avoid using the team name around the two individuals above. IMHO if a word offends someone I can easily change it. There's a lot of debate over the origin of the word 'Redskins' and some of those stories are pretty dark. If that's where it takes some people it's easier just to avoid the conflict altogether. Also, when I'm bringing up the team I'm not wanting to have this heavier conversation. I typically just want to talk football. If I can call them 'Washington' in front of certain crowds to get down to talking football (and avoiding something else) that works for me. 

On 11/12/2019 at 9:18 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Why? I've never been to StJohn. I'm Cruz. 

I assume that's something from their tourist area, just for tourists or else I'd know about it.

Put another dime in that coconut modem of yours and read this webpage about st john's: https://stjohnsbayrum.com/pages/history-st-johns-bay-rum

Company was started by a naval officer. It's manufactured on st. thomas. 

Here you go "butthole" 😀:

U.S. Naval Officer, John Webb of Minneapolis, was stationed in St Thomas during WWII. With knowledge and inspiration from bay rum producers that preceded him, he set out to revive bay rum in the Virgin Islands. He began producing St Johns Bay Rum® and designed the soon-to-be-famous "Fishnet Weave®" bottles, each carefully crafted by hand using native palm fronds. The combination of St Johns Bay Rum®'s distinct fragrance and beautiful packaging were a recipe for success, and the demand increased. The group of local weavers in the islands grew to more than 200 families, creating a huge local industry that produced tens of thousands of bottles annually.

Well, I live in California and when people see me in Skins gear I get more questions/confusion than anything. It's usually goes something like

THEM: "Redskins fan?"

ME: "Yeah."

THEM: "You from the DC area?"

ME: "No, I'm from here. They're just the team that got me into football."

THEM: (puzzled look) "Really?"

On 11/13/2019 at 10:42 AM, Unbias said:

I've never been shamed for wearing Redskins gear, but I've gotten genuine pity from other football fans. From that perspective we are probably clumped into fans of teams like the Dolphins, Bengals and Browns of old. 

Specifically with the name I have had some very open discussions with friends of mine that are Native Americans. One specific conversation sticks out where it was me (white guy) and 4 Native Americans. 2 didn't care, one was offended and the other didn't feel good about it, but also didn't want to make an issue about it. Overall a very small sample, but knowing the people and hearing how it made them feel I do look at things a bit differently. 

For me the name doesn't mean too much, so I respectively avoid using the team name around the two individuals above. IMHO if a word offends someone I can easily change it. There's a lot of debate over the origin of the word 'Redskins' and some of those stories are pretty dark. If that's where it takes some people it's easier just to avoid the conflict altogether. Also, when I'm bringing up the team I'm not wanting to have this heavier conversation. I typically just want to talk football. If I can call them 'Washington' in front of certain crowds to get down to talking football (and avoiding something else) that works for me. 

I like this post muchly..not trying to derail the topic but I remember reading something in here about those dark stories you mention and yeah...uhhh pretty dark..oh, and I as well have a Native American friend and I dont think we've ever talked about it much..i do avoid wearing anything with the logo around him tho...but it is hard when I have there logo tattooed on the inside of my wrist lol

I have a redskin tattoo on my left shoulder. A short sleeve polo covers it. I will not wear a tank top in public. My wife and daughter who are Packer fans laugh and tease me when I wear a tank top inside my home. My wife actually said "Do you remember that old commercial about pollution that made the Indian cry? You should get that touched up and put a tear from his eye to his cheek." The really sad part is I am actually thinking about doing it. Thanks Danny.....

Was pumping gas in Jacksonville, FL. Wore my #89 Santana Moss shirt. Went to pay and the gas station owner said "Redskins huh? that's my third favorite team"

I asked who are the 1st and 2nd favorites?

"I like the Dolphins first then whoever is beating your sorry ass f***ot team."

sounds personal, but damn. This was a first for me...a homophobic slur and I ain't even gay. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. 

Damn, the hate for this brand is strong. 

26 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Was pumping gas in Jacksonville, FL. Wore my #89 Santana Moss shirt. Went to pay and the gas station owner said "Redskins huh? that's my third favorite team"

sounds personal, but damn. This was a first for me...a homophobic slur and I ain't even gay. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. 

I'm able to absorb Redskins bashing, but that's taking it to the next level, to where I'd have to take it there with him.  I'm not eating that and keeping it moving.

2 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

A dolphins fan talking smack?  Really?!?

16 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

A dolphins fan talking smack?  Really?!?

He just really hates the Redskins. I asked why and he said for many reasons. 

Could be the owner, team name, lousy football play, the GM? who the hell knows

Plus I think its safe to say we are the worst team in the NFL and probably the worst run pro sports team in the world. So basically anyone from any other team can talk **** to us

2 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

He just really hates the Redskins. I asked why and he said for many reasons. 

Could be the owner, team name, lousy football play, the GM? who the hell knows

Plus I think its safe to say we are the worst team in the NFL and probably the worst run pro sports team in the world. So basically anyone from any other team can talk **** to us

True, but on the ladder of teams above us, there aren't many rungs between us and them currently.  

I wear gear all the time, I get a little ribbing, but the Falcons suck & have never won a trophy, so their fans can kiss my arse. 

I waited on 2 fellas today, uncle & nephew, Skins fans like  me, they said it's a family thing. Got a huge tip on that one! Told em about ES, and the nephew said he thinks his brother is a member...??? ATL, btw.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, Boss_Hogg said:

You should have told him that the only reason he needs the 2nd team is because his team can't even beat the Redskins in it's current pathetic state.

Yesterday at a gas station.  Attendant sees my hat and said "nice win".  I just said yeah thanks as there was a line and no time to chit chat.  

I almost felt like turning around to make sure he wasn't talking to someone else.  Im sure he just took pity on me.  I also had a friend text me "congrats on the win" after the game as if I was so happy they won.  People genuinely feel bad for us.  My friend who is a Seahawks fan and typically talks crap told me he is rooting for the Skins this year.  I don't like it.  Its like the Skins are so bad that now you are a tool if you talk smack about them.  

Archived