Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you been shamed for wearing Redskins team gear in public?

Boss_Hogg

I get more sympathy than anything else.  Went to see GWAR a couple weeks ago.  Had my Redskins hat on.  One of the security guards looked at me and said "I'm sorry for you. I know how you feel, I'm a Giants fan".  Seems to be a lot of camaraderie in the cellar.

9 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Yes, but not for the team's performance. Rather, the name.

I send my kids to school in gear that only says "Washington" on it, with the logo. Nothing that says Redskins. They're young, and I don't want them to have to deal with it.

Some people dont know what it's like being a kid having the defend the team for being garbage and people saying the name is racist at the same time, high school it was one or the other all the time, and still wore my champ or lavar jersey after losses.  Those two things have gone hand in hand in basically wiping out an entire generation of fans.

16 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Hang your head. 

Why? I've never been to StJohn. I'm Cruz. 

I assume that's something from their tourist area, just for tourists or else I'd know about it.

Look for mutiny vodka.

16 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I live in the Philly area, most people do have pity and appreciate my dedication to such an awful franchise. They do get it that we had many good years back in the day so they understand the loyalty. Then they always tell me that the Redskins are their least hated team in the division behind Dallas and NYG.

I'm from philly and theres zero rivalry between us and them. I'm pretty sure eagles cowboys is this biggest rivalry in the east.

Not really... There's always a loudmouth Cowboys fan but they usually only end up a game or 3 ahead of us.

If someone ever brings up the name my response depends on how much time and patience.

If it's a lot I ask them: Why is the name Redskins is disrespectful to Native Americans but Yankees, Sooners, Cowboys, Trailblazers, 49ers, ect get a pass? You know... all the names that evoke the Manifest Destiny that put them on Reservations.

If I don't have time or patience then it's : If they don't like it they should have copied gunpowder and cavalry (then end the conversation)

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm from philly and theres zero rivalry between us and them. I'm pretty sure eagles cowboys is this biggest rivalry in the east.

That's cuz to have a rivalry the teams must be competitive.  The Skins have no rivalries anymore because they simply aren't competitive on a consistent basis

I haven't, but I also don't wear Redskins gear right now.  I still have my Redskins lanyard at work though.  Not sure why, I should have switched to my Caps one a while ago.

I did however go into the grocery store about a month ago Sunday morning and the cashier asked me if there was a game on that day.  I told her yep there was a game at 1pm and she was asking because I didn't have any Redskins gear on like I normally do.  Then the lady behind me who was probably 70+ overheard us and she started talking about how ****ty Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen are and how they have ruined the team lol.

It was like being reverse shamed or something.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Then the lady behind me who was probably 70+ overheard us and she started talking about how ****ty Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen are and how they have ruined the team lol.

70 year old Great Granny knows what's up yet we're supposed to believe that Dan Snyder still thinks that that we're CLOSE!!! :rofl89:

The team is ran by a young Mr. Magoo

giphy.gif

I can't say I was shamed but i had one guy give me crap in a bar when we were losing, a Bengals fan, a Bengals fan in an Andy Dalton jersey!

I looked back at him and said, "Yeah, we are struggling a bit right now but you know what?, I got to see my team win 3 Super Bowls.  3!  Not a lot of fans can say that"

I turn around drink my beer for a minute, then I look at him and start naming all the teams that had not won a Super Bowl...

"Brown's fans, Jaguar fans, Lion fans, Viking fans, Cardinal fans..."

I pause drink my beer, name a few more...

"Chargers' fans, Bills' fans...and you guys"

He looked at me and said "Goddamn Joe Montana"

It got a good laugh from everybody around us.

40 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I can't say I was shamed but i had one guy give me crap in a bar when we were losing, a Bengals fan, a Bengals fan in an Andy Dalton jersey!

I looked back at him and said, "Yeah, we are struggling a bit right now but you know what?, I got to see my team win 3 Super Bowls.  3!  Not a lot of fans can say that"

I turn around drink my beer for a minute, then I look at him and start naming all the teams that had not won a Super Bowl...

"Brown's fans, Jaguar fans, Lion fans, Viking fans, Cardinal fans..."

I pause drink my beer, name a few more...

"Chargers' fans, Bills' fans...and you guys"

He looked at me and said "Goddamn Joe Montana"

It got a good laugh from everybody around us.

Yeah but in reality, who ****ing cares what happened 30 years ago.  It's two completely different franchises.  The only thing in common is name.  

I mean I can still say that **** to my brother in law who is an Eagles fan, but I'd much rather the Redskins be in the Eagles position the past decade than the position they have been in the past decade.  

The Redskins winning SB's is a blurry memory to everyone at this point.  

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

You can probably make the case that the first 3 SBs the Pats won in the early 00s led by the same coach and QB as now is ancient history.

Yes, let's compare the Patriots of the past 2 decades to the Redskins.  

They are two very comparable organizations.

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

I did shame one guy who had on one of the desert colored jackets that say Washington Football. No Redskin fan should be buying one of those when every other team uses their team name on this gear.

Un****ing believable..every other sweater has the full team name on it except the Redskins one..Washington football team..wtf!?!?!

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Yes, let's compare the Patriots of the past 2 decades to the Redskins.  

They are two very comparable organizations.

Nah, didn't mean my comment in a smart-*** way or to compare with our crapshow team...…..just that given the amount of success the Pats have had since 2014 alone (with what, 4 out of 5 SB appearances), their exploits in 2001-7, including the 16-0 season, are in a way kind of ancient history. Remember, in the six seasons between 2008-13, the Pats ONLY went to (and lost) one Super Bowl. The horror!!!

16 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yeah but in reality, who ****ing cares what happened 30 years ago.  It's two completely different franchises.  The only thing in common is name.  

I mean I can still say that **** to my brother in law who is an Eagles fan, but I'd much rather the Redskins be in the Eagles position the past decade than the position they have been in the past decade.  

The Redskins winning SB's is a blurry memory to everyone at this point.  

Of course, I hesitated in posting the story knowing I might get a response like this.  Yes, yes, I know our championships are ancient history but it was just a cool bar story that I like to tell because I know we get our share of crap but I will be damned if I will take it from a Bengals fan.

My other posts explicitly display my disdain for the current regime and the 20 years or complete suck so I did not feel I had to include it on this post.

I have a "Property of Redskins Football" cap that I wrote "NOT" on top of and wear that.

We are in a neighborhood watch group and there was a post about a woman knocking on doors at 10:30 at night asking to use a telephone. She was described as speaking poor English and wearing a Redskins sweat shirt. She was probably wearing that to help with the sympathy angle.

The day of the Skins-Dolphins game this year I was at a brewery in western Loudoun County.  Place was packed and what struck me was that there was not one person wearing Skins gear.  Again, this is Loudoun County, the home of Redskin Park.  In fact, there were 2 people wearing Dolphins shirts, so they outnumbered Skins shirts 2-0.  

When the Dolphins made their final drive and nearly pulled out a win, everyone watching the tv's was pulling for Miami.  It was a surreal experience.

Thanks Dan and Bruce.  Thanks a lot.

Archived