ConnSKINS26

SI: Bezos & Amazon Want In ...On the Redskins?

1. The name stays. Everything else can go If you want to own a part of one of the most profitable businesses in the world that has no possibility of losing revenue, then that’s a small price to pay. 

2. peeing in bottles is common in all double-shift manufacturing companies. In fact, it’s pretty common in FedEx facilities around prime season. Who has been our sponsor for the last decade?

3. no billionaire exists that hasn’t exploited the work force or cheated in some fashion. 

4. Amazon is business gold. People fall in line for bezos

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

HERE's the problem.  The bolded statement is absolutely not true.  There are other laughing stock owners in this league, proving that it's not hard at all to find owners that are just as bad if not worse than Dan (looking at Brown in Cincy).  Sure, getting rid of Snyder would be great, but not just to have anyone come in and take over primary ownership.  There are a LOT of people out there that would not be an upgrade, and could even make things worse, and this is a person who has proven that he may be even worse.  People want to knock Snyder for caring only about the bottom dollar.  Well, Bezos is even more of a douche bag in that department.  Removing Snyder for another, richer and more head-strong Snyder isn't the answer, and would lead to more decades of waiting for our owner to learn how to own an NFL franchise, blah, blah, blah.  Put me down as a "No ****ing thank you!"

Dan is on par with 80's Saints ownership under Benson.  Please do explain how it could be worse? 

Terrible onfield product

Team following is dwindling

At or near bottom of league in attendance (as percentage of capacity)

Negative press

No organizational direction 

The best results have occurred under this regime when Snyder has gotten the eff out of the way.  That doesn't bide well for his involvement in the franchise.  

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Angelos is just an old man version of Snyder so that argument is invalid. 

A young, successful business man who grew up a fan didnt work either.

If Bezos wanted to join Leonsis and Lerner to split Synders ownership share to keep this from being jus another leg of the Amazon empire, I'd be more open to this.  This area has plenty of people with money that can team up and do this.

If we get too picky, we'll be stuck with Snyder.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

A young, successful business man who grew up a fan didnt work either.

He wasn't particularly successful.  He hit the lotto during the tech boom and cashed out on an overvalued asset. 

It's been more apparent that he has the reverse Midas touch on pretty much anything he has come into contact with since then.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Washington post hasn’t written a good thing about this team in 2 decades, so I think bezos owning it would immediately change that narrative. I’m all for it just to remove guys like czaban for the circuit. 

10 minutes ago, megared said:

So under this scenario of a new stadium, you do realize Dan would have to put up his own money, correct?  They have zero appetite to use taxpayer dollars beyond infrastructure improvements to the area.  Is Dan even liquid enough to do that?  

If Dan stays owner, I'm predicting they're staying put, in Landover.  

I'd rather talk about selling the team first then who pays for the stadium.  I'd like to see where DC has already taken the stand against public funds for the stadium, which I agree with, and about the push back in Maryland and Virginia populace, that's how DC got back in the conversation.  VA governor formally threw his hat in the race and freaked DC out, then PG county started becoming resistant to giving Snyder a new plot of land for a new stadium.

Lol...that's what negotiating IS.  We're talking about Bezos here, because that's the rumor.   

I live in Alexandria, I k ow what a cluster**** that's Crystal City corridor is.  We didnt need him, the metro is in shambles, if he buys the team he'll get as much out the DMV governments as possible to pay for it.  Oh we'll get in line alright...

2 minutes ago, megared said:

He wasn't particularly successful.  He hit the lotto during the tech boom and cashed out on an overvalued asset. 

It's been more apparent that he has the reverse Midas touch on pretty much anything he has come into contact with since then.  

You dont have to be a good business person to be successful.  Hes an idiot who made enough money to buy a football team.  From a profits perspective, hes tripled the value of his initial investment in the franchise, easily.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, megared said:

Exactly, the Redskins are the only thing keeping him afloat because it's impossible to lose money once you're part of the club.

Six Flags - failed

Johnny Rockets - failed

Radio - failed 

Dick Clark productions  - probably failed, I honestly don't know. 

Redskins - pretty much killed the brand 

Craziest thing I've ever seen. 

Edited by spjunkies

2 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Washington post hasn’t written a good thing about this team in 2 decades, so I think bezos owning it would immediately change that narrative. I’m all for it just to remove guys like czaban for the circuit. 

It wont, they blast Bezos all the time to appear impartial.  Post wont turn into his propaganda arm, and my understanding is hes fine with that.  Theres too many people buying his services for him to care who's mad at him.  Hes making a profit off a national newspaper that calls him out, again, awkward. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, megared said:

Dan is on par with 80's Saints ownership under Benson.  Please do explain how it could be worse? 

Terrible onfield product

Team following is dwindling

At or near bottom of league in attendance (as percentage of capacity)

Negative press

No organizational direction 

The best results have occurred under this regime when Snyder has gotten the eff out of the way.  That doesn't bide well for his involvement in the franchise.  

It can get worse by having a team that goes decades without a chance at a division title and/or playoff berth.  As bad as it has been the last 20+ years for the redskins, every few years we have that mirage season that gives some fans a glimmer of hope and a reason to watch in December.  I don't fall for that **** anymore, and, until we have a consistently contending team, i can't get myself hyped about this team, but there are millions of fans that will and they will show up, tune in and buy merch.  We go 10+ years without even a mirage season, yeah, it will be worse.  Much worse.

It can also get worse by losing the team and/or its name.  I know some don't seem to care, which blows my mind, but I am a fan of the Washington Redskins, the team/franchise that my father rooted for, that his father and mother and brother rooted for, etc.  I am not going to be a fan of the London Redskins, or the San Diego Redskins, or the Washington Senators or Washington Crepes.  Those teams will not be and could never be the team that my family and I rooted for and planned our Sundays around for generations.

So, yes, things could be worse, as hard as it is to imagine.  At this point, I don't think it is even remotely possible that Snyder would sell the team unless he was forced to by the league, but he hasn't broken any major laws nor committed any major social faux pas to give validity to the other owners forcing him out.  The only realistic hope is that Snyder FINALLY has seen enough, gets rid of Bruce, hires a real GM and gives him full power over everything football related.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd rather talk about selling the team first then who pays for the stadium.  I'd like to see where DC has already taken the stand against public funds for the stadium, which I agree with, and about the push back in Maryland and Virginia populace, that's how DC got back in the conversation.  VA governor formally threw his hat in the race and freaked DC out, then PG county started becoming resistant to giving Snyder a new plot of land for a new stadium.

Right now, the land is marked for sports and recreation under the terms of the existing lease with the federal government. The city would like to receive the land outright and, barring that, extend the lease and expand the options for the site with a vision of mixed-use development happening there, too.

“We can have a mixed-use development there that would be vibrant,” Falcicchio said, “and allow us to build housing, create jobs with office, retail and even a hotel.”

Ward 6 Councilman Charles Allen said the District should be in charged of that land. RFK sits in Ward 6, and residents want to see the fields of asphalt replaced by something more useful and more aesthetically pleasing.

But, countering, Allen said, “The RFK site continues to be a very wrong choice for an NFL stadium.”

“There’s so much more we can do with that space, where we could add new housing, new jobs, new commercial activity. We can have parks and green spaces that connect our city to the river,” he added. “There’s so much of a different, and frankly better, vision than using it for a massive NFL stadium that’s going to get used a handful of days a year.”

But, Falcicchio added that if the team does relocate to the city, “the most important thing for us is for the team to understand that they would be paying for the stadium. The District will have to make improvements to that site, but the stadium itself will have to be paid for by the team, and that’s something we won’t budge on.”

Allen said even that’s too much for him and those who live in the neighborhood.

“I think that’s the wrong site,” Allen said, adding that he didn’t see what was wrong with the team’s current site. An NFL stadium wouldn’t work at RFK, he said, and that he’d fight every effort to put it there.

“We know the myth they’re trying to sell everybody is that their lease is going to end and they can’t play there past 2027,” Allen said. “That’s now been blown up, and everyone knows they can stay there actually. They could rebuild a stadium at that site. Perhaps a large, suburban space is the right idea for a stadium that’s only used a couple of times a year.”

https://wtop.com/local/2019/02/fight-for-old-dc-taking-new-meaning-as-nfl-stadium-suitors-dwindle/

It'd be extraordinarily stupid to entrust Dan as an economic driver to that area.  Landover is the perfect dump for him to gouge everyone.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You dont have to be a good business person to be successful.  Hes an idiot who made enough money to buy a football team.  From a profits perspective, hes tripled the value of his initial investment in the franchise, easily.

That has less to do with him, and more to do with the growth of the league, and TV deals.  

28 minutes ago, megared said:

I'd say that's at least one definition of successful.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Exactly, the Redskins are the only thing keeping him afloat because it's impossible to lose money once you're part of the club.

Six Flags - failed

Johnny Rockets - failed

Radio - failed 

Dick Clark productions  - probably failed, I honestly don't know. 

Redskins - pretty much killed the brand 

Craziest thing I've ever seen. 

I think that's any billionaire.  They've all got failures.  And you really need to be right once. 

We can say he "failed" with the Redskins, but his ROI when he decides to cash out would say otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Snyder isn't selling so its all a moot point.

Yep. I suspect the most that happens here is a naming rights deal for the new Stadium.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I'd say that's at least one definition of successful.

Talking more of a sustained record of success. 

It's just like the team, the more involved he is, the more the business fails.  

• Like 2

https://wtop.com/local/2019/02/fight-for-old-dc-taking-new-meaning-as-nfl-stadium-suitors-dwindle/

It'd be extraordinarily stupid to entrust Dan as an economic driver to that area.  Landover is the perfect dump for him to gouge everyone.

Your article is from Feburary, a lot has changed since then.  This is from a month ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/dc-mayor-wants-redskins-playing-back-district-eyes-rfk-site%3famp

According to the Washington Business Journal, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser spoke with reporters Friday at a conference hosted by the University of the District of Columbia. She stressed that “all of our teams should be playing within our boundaries,” saying that the site of RFK Stadium would be a great fit for the NFL franchise.

“We’re not going to chase them down and we’d like them be winners when they come,” Bowser said. "We don't feel like we’re in the position to beg for this type of development. We have a great site, we think the best site in the region. And when the time is right, we’re going to make sure the site is activated.”

It's obvious some people dont want them at the site, and some people do.  The Mayor does, and what's changed is the threat of losing out on the money the stadium in DC would bring, a city that's kicking everyone out so they can move in people with more money.

That has less to do with him, and more to do with the growth of the league, and TV deals.  

Fair, but businesses are judged by profitability first.  A lot of businesses are run by incompetent people, but fill a niche that keeps them in business, worked for them.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Snyder isn't selling so its all a moot point.

Disagree.

Dan's history of failure is impressive.  

With the way the NFL is organized to create parity his tenure as the owner of the Redskins only exemplifies how consistent he is at failing.  He ruins whatever he touches.  Its comical to hear him talk - when he does which isn't frequently.  I assume he won't talk again until the team has some success so we may never hear from him again.

Anyway, Dan will never sell the team.  Its his cash cow and his toy.  As big of a failure as he is, the NFL is a money making machine that won't be stopped as others who aren't failures run.  He gets to ride their coat tails and watch "his" investment only increase in value despite his failure as an owner.  

It is fun to dream however about someone - anyone else owning the team.  The rejoicing that would take place.  I would expect a parade.  Im against a name change but then Im getting to the point where I don't care anymore.  The Redskins are dead anyway.  

• Like 2

It's not often a guy who could literally buy the entire league outright and everything in it wants in on your product.

Bezos literally has gotta be worth more than all 32 owners combined.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Your article is from Feburary, a lot has changed since then.  This is from a month ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/dc-mayor-wants-redskins-playing-back-district-eyes-rfk-site%3famp

It's obvious some people dont want them at the site, and some people do.  The Mayor does, and what's changed is the threat of losing out on the money the stadium in DC would bring, a city that's kicking everyone out so they can move in people with more money.

But only the mayor really wants it.  The debate over public funding isn't something that has altered significantly.  There's still a lot of support that would have to be lended, to a generally unlikeable guy.  And Congress still needs to reclassify the land.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Fair, but businesses are judged by profitability first.  A lot of businesses are run by incompetent people, but fill a niche that keeps them in business, worked for them.

There's no special formula Snyder is following to make money.  He's gouging on non-shared revenues, while he's perfectly happy to neglect the things which are subject to sharing.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I never knew Czabe wrote the Post.  Interesting.

7 minutes ago, megared said:

But only the mayor really wants it.  The debate over public funding isn't something that has altered significantly.  There's still a lot of support that would have to be lended, to a generally unlikeable guy.  And Congress still needs to reclassify the land.

That's not true, some people on the council want them in the city, some don't want them at RFK.  Remember when the red line to get back in the city was changing the name?  Losing the Redskins and that revenue for the foreseeable future changed the conversation, all that principle sounds good until Virginia offered to step in, it's going to get more real the closer we get to 2027.

7 minutes ago, megared said:

There's no special formula Snyder is following to make money.  He's gouging on non-shared revenues, while he's perfectly happy to neglect the things which are subject to sharing.  

We are missing each others point of the semantics on whether Snyder is successful it not.  He was a controversial young darking when he bought the team.  We accepted the risk and it failed miserably, it's just not that simple to say anyone owning the team would be better, because he fit the ideal profile of what you want as an owner until all the sudden it wasn't. 

Does Bezos even like football?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, megared said:

Talking more of a sustained record of success. 

It's just like the team, the more involved he is, the more the business fails.  

No argument he is toxic.

But I think this is more confirmation that success in one line of business is no guarantee of success in another. Quite the opposite in many cases.  Especially if you are too arrogant to learn the lessons of failure and examine what makes your competition successful.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's not true, some people on the council want them in the city, some don't want them at RFK.  Remember when the red line to get back in the city was changing the name?  Losing the Redskins and that revenue for the foreseeable future changed the conversation, all that principle sounds good until Virginia offered to step in, it's going to get more real the closer we get to 2027.

Not seeing how anyone can look at what Snyder's done to Landover and assume that he's going to fit into an operating model of mixed development, with retail and residential spaces.  It's completely against what he's done at FedEx.  Metro access?  Stuff within walking distance?  Lol. 

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We are missing each others point of the semantics on whether Snyder is successful it not.  He was a controversial young darking when he bought the team.  We accepted the risk and it failed miserably, it's just not that simple to say anyone owning the team would be better, because he fit the ideal profile of what you want as an owner until all the sudden it wasn't. 

Snyder's 'success' is like bragging about interest accruing in a savings account. 

He only benefited from NFL ownership being an asset that generally appreciates with time.  He hasn't kept pace with where we were (in league value).  We've gone from being #1 to 7-ish.  Blame it on him not having a new stadium...but I can't think of a good business move (NFL or otherwise) he's made, that has made him exceptional, amongst NFL owners.  Charging for training camps?  Expensive parking?  That's really all I've got.     

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Did Jack Kent Cooke? He was involved in the sports business for over 40 years, and the Skins were the only one of those businesses that was a football team.

Bezos would bring a lot to the table. He started and grew the most successful customer-facing business in history.

Amazon succeeds at everything it touches, including things Bezos presumably knows little about. He clearly knows how to build a winning organization.

He hasn't meddled in the editorial side of the Post, as far as I know.

I really don't see any downside. I'd think the Seahawks would be a more likely purchase, but they've already maxed out their business potential. The Skins are intriguing because they languishing in one of the largest, richest markets in the USA. I can see a billionaire's ego seeing that as a tempting target. Imagine gameday being an event in DC again, with all the celebrities and politicos circling around *him* and fighting for access.