Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Bezos & Amazon Want In ...On the Redskins?

Conn

Not a lot of substance here, but I think we'll all take a dash of hope during this dreary season...

Article Link

Per Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports and Radio.com Sports, Bezos has spent plenty of time around NFL owners and has support from a group of snobby billionaires.

He reportedly watched the Super Bowl last year from Commissioner Roger Goodell's suite. per LaCanfora's sources.

LaCanfora specifically pointed out that Bezos, who owns the Washington Post as well, is moving to Washington and has spent some time with Dan Snyder.

More at the link...

Picturing ‘Amazon Stadium’, leased by the ‘Skins - rebranded as the Washington Amazons - is quite a rabbit hole.  (Hogettes could maybe still use their wigs, for example)

One other random offshoot was that I kinda like the idea of the ‘Washington Swamp Things’.  

Man, this while post made me feel like I was on drugs.  I’m thinking I should head to bed....

Be careful what you wish for with this guy.  Pretty sure NFL.com is on AWS, and the new DC stadium almost guaranteed will be called Amazon Field. 

He'll be less controversial then Snyder only if he wins.  They'll stop protesting the name if he changes it,  ut dont be shocked if they come after him for other reasons like taking health insurance from his part time employees then buying a house with elevators in it. Plural.

I'd be fine with it, I see how he modernized and saved the Washington Post.  But in every article that mentions him they mandatory add a sentence that he owns the paper to address the obvious conflict of interest.  Will they cover the team differently if he owns both? 

Hes the only one by himself that can buy Snyder out and wants to do it.  Jus keep in mind it's going to be awkward and hes going to stay owner until he dies, no one is going to be able to buy him out if this goes south.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Be careful what you wish for with this guy.  Pretty sure NFL.com is on AWS, and the new DC stadium almost guaranteed will be called Amazon Field. 

He'll be less controversial then Snyder only if he wins.  They'll stop protesting the name if he changes it,  ut dont be shocked if they come after him for other reasons like taking health insurance from his part time employees then buying a house with elevators in it. Plural.

I'd be fine with it, I see how he modernized and saved the Washington Post.  But in every article that mentions him they mandatory add a sentence that he owns the paper to address the obvious conflict of interest.  Will they cover the team differently if he owns both? 

Hes the only one by himself that can buy Snyder out and wants to do it.  Jus keep in mind it's going to be awkward and hes going to stay owner until he dies, no one is going to be able to buy him out if this goes south.

I have no idea if what you're saying is even valid lol...but that first sentence in bold most definitely is. The rest sounds plausible, though.

And saying "Anyone but Snyder" when it comes to a new owner isn't the right mindset to have. Afterall, "Anyone but Vinny" is one reason we now have Bruce.

To me the timing of this report is interesting.  Recently,  the NFL has expressed interest in having a NFL team in London. Chargers were linked to that. Leaves Chargers owner to aggressively deny the report. Now Bezo wants to buy a team. Conveniently he lives in the DC area where the football team have fell out of grace with the fanbase after putting up with decades of incompetence. 

I'm no reporter but my gut feeling tells me this is the NFL's way of politely telling Snyder to move/start a franchise in London allowing Bezo to setup a team in DC salvaging one of the bigger Markets in the NFL.

Therefore making everyone happy, as Snyder becomes the forerunner for American football as his team will be the 1st of many creating new markets for the NFL internationally.

To me at least this would make sense.

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I didn't get the impression it would be about buying the Skins from Snyder, but rather joining him in some way (no idea how) as part-owner, maybe?...I dunno....

Well, he doesn't really need to buy the whole team. But something like 30/40 should allow him to settle with minority owners and claim the title over Dan Snyder. Dan has something like 60 or 70% of the team at best if I'm right.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Could he really do an effective job. 

Sure. The best owners hire the right people and then GTFO the way. If he wants to buy the team, hire a great GM, and then spend his days running his business while the football side takes care of its self, that would be perfect. 

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Well, he doesn't really need to buy the whole team. But something like 30/40 should allow him to settle with minority owners and claim the title over Dan Snyder. Dan has something like 60 or 70% of the team at best if I'm right.

65%

He sold 15% of the club to real estate developer Dwight Schar, 15% to Florida based financier Robert Rothman and 5% to Frederick W. Smith, owner and founder of Federal Express

Can put up with the Washington Amazons as long as Snyder is definitely kicked out of DC :ph34r:;)

Until then thanks @ConnSKINS26 :silly:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5vF8xgIxLF6N5_6Ay-S6

54 minutes ago, FrFan said:

65%

He sold 15% of the club to real estate developer Dwight Schar, 15% to Florida based financier Robert Rothman and 5% to Frederick W. Smith, owner and founder of Federal Express

Can put up with the Washington Amazons as long as Snyder is definitely kicked out of DC :ph34r:;)

Until then thanks @ConnSKINS26 :silly:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5vF8xgIxLF6N5_6Ay-S6

Thanks for the update.

So he just need to buy 16% of Danny boy. Which is 560M of bucks if the team is valued at 3.5Billion.

That's two hours of work for Jeff Bezos. He can make it.

As much as I despise Snyder/Allen, the possibility of him selling the team to Bezos or ANY other billionaire doesn't sound appealing in any way to me.

1. Possibility of a name change; ok, so everything Redskins-related is no longer viable, and fans will have a bunch of memorabilia of a team that does not exist, doesn't represent the team, and could possibly not end up being the correct color scheme, if the new owner decides to change the name/logo/colors.

2. Possibility of the team moving? Another Colts coup in the makings? There is a chance Bezos could move the team to another city, even across the pond. Nothing about that sounds appealing in any way shape or form.

Maybe I'm on the minority side of this, but this team is the Washington Redskins; not the London Tea-sippers, St.Louis Archers, or any other city/name. This is the team that I grew up loving as a child, following and sticking with through thick and thin, and any change, whether its moving to a new city or changing the name, will not be the team that I've followed for damn near 50 years. Some may be ok with this, and hey, to each their own, but IMO changing anything about the location/name/colors of this team would be the end of a very proud and storied franchise, and that isn't something I can follow.

Bezos might be in favor of this, because it will mean more money from fans replacing their team-related items, jerseys, caps, cards, banners, and everything else related. So do fans of the Redskins just pack their stuff into boxes and throw it in the attic or give it to Goodwill? Change always sounds great, until the reality of change affects them financially and/or negatively, and at that point its too late...

SIC

38 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Bezos might be in favor of this, because it will mean more money from fans replacing their team-related items, jerseys, caps, cards, banners, and everything else related. So do fans of the Redskins just pack their stuff into boxes and throw it in the attic or give it to Goodwill? Change always sounds great, until the reality of change affects them financially and/or negatively, and at that point its too late...

SIC

Our best bet is to start with the businesses hes already taken over.  He doesnt overhaul the identity of businesses he buys, jus the functionality to improve its reputation.  One of the first things he did with whole foods was work to slash prices to change its reputation of needing your whole paycheck to shop there.

But even if he changes the name to Washington Warriors with some variation of the 70th anniversary jerseys, what happens to the fight song?  It will suck, but I believe if the franchise starts winning we will get used to it. When Ravens showed up in Baltimore, it was chance for Colts Marching band to return.  Now, the marching band is purple and theyve won two super bowls since.

Only time Baltimore thinks about the Colts anymore is when they are on the schedule.  Is Houston still complaining about losing the Oilers now that they got Watson? Doubt it.

My bigger concern even if we start winning is that we will be just another leg in some transnational empire with a target in it's back.  Even after Bezos is gone, you can make the arguement we'll be the first NFL team owned by something like the Disney Empire.  Theres no getting out of that no matter how it goes.

I don't buy the idea of Bezos collaborating with Snyder. Bezos could write a check for the entire operation without blinking. No way he ties himself up with a clown like Snyder.

Hard to say whether he'd be a good team owner. You'd like to think he knows what he doesn't know.

We've been talking about this some yesterday on the Bruce thread.  The anyone idea but Vinny brought us Bruce is true.  But the moron who hired two buffoons in a row was Dan.  Dan is the common denominator to everything that has gone wrong. 

I'd take anyone over Dan just about.  Bezos is not without controversy.  But I'd roll the dice with him because no one accuses him of being incompetent and dumb.  More importantly, he at least understands his customer base.  Dan seems lost in a perpetual fog.   Bezos has the guts to face the music publicly, too. 

Archived