Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Thread: Redskins @ Buffalo Bills

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

in the game conditions in a somewhat close game (one score until mid way through 4th quarter) with a rookie making his first start I have zero issues with today’s play calling.

I don't either.

Just saying that O'Connell probably doesn't have full control when it comes to play calling.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

As much as I agree with his quote, he's the one who dropped a TD pass that would have at lease kept the game close. 

The fade in the first half? He had no real shot at that catch. Would have needed a crap load of stickum to make that one ...

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

I don't either.

Just saying that O'Connell probably doesn't have full control when it comes to play calling.

Well he’s certainly calling plays within an overall game plan and I’m sure Callahan has a big input to that.

• Like 1
Just now, MartinC said:

The fade in the first half? He had no real shot at that catch. Would have needed a crap load of stickum to make that one ...

Well, I thought it should have gone to Harmon, but it hit him in the hands and so I fault the WR. It would have been a difficult catch, but a game changer. LIkewise there was a drop by a Bills player after an Allen scramble that would have been a gamechanger (I think they wound up scoring but still). Playmakers need to make plays. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Well, I thought it should have gone to Harmon, but it hit him in the hands and so I fault the WR. It would have been a difficult catch, but a game changer. LIkewise there was a drop by a Bills player after an Allen scramble that would have been a gamechanger (I think they wound up scoring but still). Playmakers need to make plays. 

Certainly would agree the Redskins need a lot more play makers. Haskins badly needs someone to take a slant 60 yards or or turn a screen pass into a 40 yard gain. Apart from McLaurin and AP no one else today was even a threat to do that.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Certainly would agree the Redskins need a lot more play makers. Haskins badly needs someone to take a slant 60 yards or or turn a screen pass into a 40 yard gain. Apart from McLaurin and AP no one else today was even a threat to do that.

I was just saying this on Twitter, but I think that the fact that Haskins can use the whole field and throw balls outside the numbers will have a big effect. First it will open up more lanes in our running game. I don't know how soon that will be because teams will still dare him to beat them and do it consistently. But also, I think if it forces CBs to play outside or off the it can open up the middle for a guy like Quinn or Sims to do just this. And lets not forget that we've got Guice, Thompson and Davis all still injured. Thompson made Cousins's year in 2017 by taking screens the house all year. I'm not saying that we'll see that again, but I definitely think we'll see the big plays come as Haskins settles in. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, MartinC said:

in the game conditions in a somewhat close game (one score until mid way through 4th quarter) with a rookie making his first start I have zero issues with today’s play calling.

Zero issues?  I agree that the general concept was probably correct but we should have been running play action an awful lot more, especially on first down, and taken at least 1-2 shots to Torpedo Terry deep off of PA looks.  Our line is suspect but it doesn't take him much time at all to get vertical separation against a defense playing the run 

When Haskins got to throw he was really not bad at all 

5 minutes ago, TommyWilson said:

Zero issues?  I agree that the general concept was probably correct but we should have been running play action an awful lot more, especially on first down, and taken at least 1-2 shots to Torpedo Terry deep off of PA looks.  Our line is suspect but it doesn't take him much time at all to get vertical separation against a defense playing the run 

Deep shots in a 20 mph wind? Allen threw two - neither ended up being with 5 yards of the receiver. Punts were an adventure let alone deep throws.

But I certainly agree going forwards we need to pass more on 1st down and look for opportunities to get the ball to McLauren on shot attempts.

• Like 1
Just now, MartinC said:

Deep shots in a 20 mph wind? Allen threw two - neither ended up being with 5 yards of the receiver. Punts were an adventure let alone deep throws.

But I certainly agree going forwards we need to pass more on 1st down and look for opportunities to get the ball to McLauren on shot attempts.

Cal and Haskins addressed this in the post-game, saying that both the field conditions and the fact that they were doubling TMac made it harder to take shots. Plus the fact that when they did seem to be trying to go deep, the pass rush was right on him. I think he made some really good decisions going to Richardson on a lot of those times when TMac was covered. And the play where the announcers said he missed TMac on a deep ball, I saw the S creeping over and maybe he had a window but maybe not so I wasn't so sure he ever had a real opportunity missed

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Fair enough, I didn't consider the wind.

Still, a "deep shot" isn't even necessarily a 60 yard bomb.  If Terry can get a step on his man and the ball gets uncorked quickly, it might not have to travel very far in the air and you can put some velocity on it.

Ehh I'm just drunk and frustrated, and I'm certainly no expert, but I think there certainly needed to be more PA with the way we were running it.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

Cal and Haskins addressed this in the post-game, saying that both the field conditions and the fact that they were doubling TMac made it harder to take shots. Plus the fact that when they did seem to be trying to go deep, the pass rush was right on him. I think he made some really good decisions going to Richardson on a lot of those times when TMac was covered. And the play where the announcers said he missed TMac on a deep ball, I saw the S creeping over and maybe he had a window but maybe not so I wasn't so sure he ever had a real opportunity missed

The word is out league wide on Terry Mac - he’s going to draw coverage. That should open things up though to the other side.

Still best time to get single high and man coverage on Terry will be first down. We are seeing a lot of heavy boxes on 1st down

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The word is out league wide on Terry Mac - he’s going to draw coverage. That should open things up though to the other side.

Still best time to get single high and man coverage on Terry will be first down. We are seeing a lot of heavy boxes on 1st down

Honestly thats what impressed me maybe the most about Haskins today. He went to Richardson and didn't force it. I want to look at the box score again to see how we were doing on those passes as far as down and distance. 

From what I see, the third down opportunities weren't there. 

1. 3rd and 5 - Haskins scrambles for 3

2. 3rd and 6, incomplete to Smallwood 

3. 3rd and 2, sacked

4. 3rd and 8, incomplete deep to Richardson (end zone fade route)

5. 3rd and 11, complete to Quinn for 9 (should we have gone for it on 4th and 2?)

6. 3rd ad 18 , complete to TMac for 12

7, 3rd and 6, Haskins runs for 9

8. 3rd and 10, incomplete to TMac, under pressure

9. 3rd and 10, sacked 

10. 3rd and 20, complete to Sprinkle for 16

In the first half we had much better down and distance on third down, but we just werent making the plays. In the second, we were way behind the sticks which made the conversions  a lot more difficult. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, TommyWilson said:

Yeah the overall concept wasn't that bad, considering we had a raw rookie starting his first game against a top 3 pass defense, as well as the weather/wind. My biggest issue (AS ALMOST ALWAYS) was the lack of adjustments. AP was a madman in the first half, so I had no problem with just pounding it down their throats with him. Then the Bills adjusted after halftime and were stuffing him. But we just kept running him the same way over and over on 1st down almost every time. They knew it was coming by that time and knew how to stop it. I simply can't comprehend how this team seems so supernaturally talented at finding coaches who are so terrible at making adjustments after their opponent does. 

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

Seeing ghosts ? ;)

That happens when you're looking down field. Not to mention that 400 lb dude probably runs a sub 5 40. Bottom line for me is to put all of this into its proper perspective. He's a rookie with limited game reps. Two QBs on this team have been in the NFL for over 7 years. They both have stated difficulty grasping this offense and it shows. But even more telling is Alex talking about all it takes to play the QB position as well as what it takes for the offense to be effective and to be efficient. Now replace this 14 year vet standing up on the podium with Haskins. If you can accept what Alex is saying, surely you can understand what a rookie must be going through. And oh BTW, notice around the 6:45 mark where he talks about how long sustained drives without chunk plays decreases scoring probability. Kevin and/or Bill obviously didn't get the email. Some of you need to lower the unreasonable expectation on the rookie. Its a process (not taking from the old #8). 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, max21 said:

We need a game breaking WR To compliment Terry, the offense is so ****ing boring. Just please do something cool 

Thank you. Bruce Allen sucks at this. Garcon, Pryor, and now Richardson. Whoopdi doo. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

36 points in 5 games? 

Oh oh we are SO CLOSE!

The 36 in 5 games was before this game. I already talked about it a few days ago. Now it's 45 points in 6 games.

Thats a 120 point per season pace. 7.5 per game.

So ****ing close!!!

Oh and the 3 games with 0 TDs means that Calahan is 3 for 4 with 0 TDs as coach. Championship!

• Like 2