Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Does he have a no trade clause?

They cannot trade Cousins without his prior written consent. No transition tag, but they can franchise tag him to the tune of around $40M. Unless he can get them to either the NFCC or SB next year, I'd say he's got 1 year left in Minny.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

They cannot trade Cousins without his prior written consent. No transition tag, but they can franchise tag him to the tune of around $40M. Unless he can get them to either the NFCC or SB next year, I'd say he's got 1 year left in Minny.

If they’re going to get to the SB with Kirk on the roster, they’re going to need Kirk to change positions.

• Haha 12
3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I honestly don't see him having much trade value. An underwhelming end to the season and so far has still done nothing to show he's capable of leading a team in clutch moments. Only one year left making 31 million against the cap and no signs of re-signing with whomever. He had a solid surrounding cast in Minny (with the exception of a poor OL) and still came up small. Minny is better off drafting someone this year and letting him sit on the bench ala what KC did with Mahomes.

IMO if Kirk does not deliver a NFC championship this coming year the Vikes will insist on a pay cut for Mr. Cousins. He can shop himself again but what will be the odds that some team will pay him $30 mil a year after 3 choke years with the Vikes with all that talent. 

25 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

IMO if Kirk does not deliver a NFC championship this coming year the Vikes will insist on a pay cut for Mr. Cousins. He can shop himself again but what will be the odds that some team will pay him $30 mil a year after 3 choke years with the Vikes with all that talent. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see him elevate his game in yet another contract year. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, wit33 said:

Wonder if the Vikings extend him this off-season. I imagine Kirk will not attempt to leverage his situation again and just take a deal that requires him to work with the Vikings. 

I'm wondering if the Vikings draft a QB this season, or wait until next season lol 

18 hours ago, ntotoro said:

You really think he'll be that humble? Everything with him is "If not for this, if not for that."

For a guy who didn't like Bruce Allen, he reminds me of a much more wholesome, likable version of him.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm wondering if the Vikings draft a QB this season, or wait until next season lol 

I don't think it would be a particularly bad choice for the Vikings to try to get Tua if it isn't for a huge ransom. Unless Cousins offers his first hometown discount on negotiations, his last year there can give Tua a full year to heal up and see what they've got in him. If Zimmer is toast by the end of it, Tua might make for good HC bait.

Just now, KDawg said:

For a guy who didn't Bruce Allen, he reminds me of a much more wholesome, likable version of him.

If he were a guy that did Bruce Allen, that would absolutely be a whole lot less wholesome.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I don't think it would be a particularly bad choice for the Vikings to try to get Tua if it isn't for a huge ransom. Unless Cousins offers his first hometown discount on negotiations, his last year there can give Tua a full year to heal up and see what they've got in him. If Zimmer is toast by the end of it, Tua might make for good HC bait.

This is a brilliant idea!   The Vikings to draft Tua, give him a year to heal and learn, and then when Kurt goes away have him take over.  If I were a Vikings fan I would LOVE this!

Almost like Mahomes, except we won't be bribing the Chiefs with draft picks and players to turn to their sophomore QB

13 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

This is a brilliant idea!   The Vikings to draft Tua, give him a year to heal and learn, and then when Kurt goes away have him take over.  If I were a Vikings fan I would LOVE this!

Almost like Mahomes, except we won't be bribing the Chiefs with draft picks and players to turn to their sophomore QB

Except if they're in win-now mode, drafting a QB isn't going to bring them closer to the superbowl. They clearly need help in the secondary and maybe another pass rusher.

34 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Except if they're in win-now mode, drafting a QB isn't going to bring them closer to the superbowl. They clearly need help in the secondary and maybe another pass rusher.

So my gut reaction was "Maybe they should pick up one of those positions in FA so they can simeltaneously build for the future.

But then I went over to over the cap and discovered something:   Their win now window is over.  Now.

They currently only have 42 players under contract for 2020.  To make matters worst, they are 5,443,264 OVER the cap.   That means, if they fill out their roster with vet min players, that would bring their effective cap to $10,033,264 over the limit.

Forget win now.... they are going to have to make some tough choices just to field a team.  

Edit:  Ironically, this might be Kurt's best chance to get extended.   Agree to a 2 year deal with less gaurentees and a SB to push his cap hit off over the next two years.

Edited by hatchetwound
1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

So my gut reaction was "Maybe they should pick up one of those positions in FA so they can simeltaneously build for the future.

But then I went over to over the cap and discovered something:   Their win now window is over.  Now.

They currently only have 42 players under contract for 2020.  To make matters worst, they are 5,443,264 OVER the cap.   That means, if they fill out their roster with vet min players, that would bring their effective cap to $10,033,264.

Forget win now.... they are going to have to make some tough choices just to field a team.  

Like I said CAP HELL. The Vikes screwed the pooch on KC. It will go down as one of the stupidest moves ever at that price.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Edit:  Ironically, this might be Kurt's best chance to get extended.   Agree to a 2 year deal with less gaurentees and a SB to push his cap hit off over the next two years.

Precisely why most teams wouldn’t have given that guaranteed 3 year deal. It’s not a contract a team and a face of the franchise can work together on to help in some cash strapped seasons. It’s more like a hired gun. 

The value for a franchise on the backend of a long term deal with a highly paid QB is huuuuge. Though, it’s mightily overlooked in these parts. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Precisely why most teams wouldn’t have given that guaranteed 3 year deal. It’s not a contract a team and a face of the franchise can work together on to help in some cash strapped seasons. It’s more like a hired gun. 

The value for a franchise on the backend of a long term deal with a highly paid QB is huuuuge. Though, it’s mightily overlooked in these parts. 

7 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Like I said CAP HELL. The Vikes screwed the pooch on KC. It will go down as one of the stupidest moves ever at that price.

I couldn't agree more.  Excellent posts!

14 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

They currently only have 42 players under contract for 2020.  To make matters worst, they are 5,443,264 OVER the cap.   That means, if they fill out their roster with vet min players, that would bring their effective cap to $10,033,264 over the limit.

I expect Diggs to be traded and maybe Rudolph as he's basically a solid rental for a team who can then cut him by 2021 for a little more than 4 mil on a dead cap. Essentially they're going to have to go the route of what Houston did in giving up draft picks in order to cut salaries. Reiff will probably be restructures or cut, the same applies to Griffin who, even after a great deal has a mere 800K dead cap hit. Same also with Rhodes who did NOT look good last year, plus the team has invested a lot in corners the last few years. There's a lot of dead weight they can trim. But they'll still need to refill those with draftees so wasting a high pick on a guy who probably won't play for them this year seems odd.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Perhaps they need a few more eyes on the ES draft thread. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I expect Diggs to be traded and maybe Rudolph as he's basically a solid rental for a team who can then cut him by 2021 for a little more than 4 mil on a dead cap. Essentially they're going to have to go the route of what Houston did in giving up draft picks in order to cut salaries. Reiff will probably be restructures or cut, the same applies to Griffin who, even after a great deal has a mere 800K dead cap hit. Same also with Rhodes who did NOT look good last year, plus the team has invested a lot in corners the last few years. There's a lot of dead weight they can trim. But they'll still need to refill those with draftees so wasting a high pick on a guy who probably won't play for them this year seems odd.

Holton Hill will break out in 2020.

Of a penitentiary.

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't see the Vikes being able to be in a position to draft Tua without trading a ton of draft capital to move past Miami who i believe will take him. Are they really willing to give up so many high picks for a QB with his injury history?  

They gave up $30M/season for Cousins, so they are clearly not afraid of tremendous risk and using ridiculous assets in doing so.

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They gave up $30M/season for Cousins, so they are clearly not afraid of tremendous risk and using ridiculous assets in doing so.

Has nothing to do with that particular team. No team will spend as many high picks as it would take to move up that far to draft a QB as risky as Tua.

• Jumbo locked this topic