Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

Yes.

they should have signed him when he was cheap and showing promise. Iirc there was a thread about it by very old school.

he was the best qb that I had ever seen with the redskins and though he wasn’t perfect, we could have built with him. He also fitted nicely with grudens tenure.

i wouldnt have been a huge fan of giving him the contract that he has now but I am very wary of large contracts to any nfl player because it emphasizes the individual over the team and that player is only one hit from being out for the season.

what is worse though, and unforgivable, is not finding a way to keep him but doubling down for Alex Smith.

1 hour ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

let me know when you're ready to show off those debate skills, sweetie.  Particularly, since one of the questions I posed to you has no possibility of being answered in your little "plan" in some comment somewhere, which of course you won't address.   I won.

This is kind of copyrighted but .... Hi there.

Note to everyone else in this thread do not respond to this post.

1 hour ago, SprintBomb said:

I never understood the hatred of Cousins. We had a top offense with him and he holds many franchise records. The fact that he was able to have productive seasons while playing  for this joke of an organization says something about him.

For 20 years we were begging for a franchise QB. Someone that we drafted and could consistently put us in position to win games. Well we had that with Cousins but for some reason it wasn't good enough.

"But he cant beat good teams", that's crap. It takes a lot more than a good QB to beat great teams and win playoff games. 

If Haskins puts up Cousins stats then drafting Haskins will be considered a success. 

Bruce botched the whole Cousins deal. Go figure.

I wasn’t here to read the debates, I don’t get why he’d be hated, but it *makes as much sense as paying him 30 million a year. Minnesota didn’t improve after moving from Case to Kirk, they should have found a guy who could run the offense effectively, addressed the line, and found another CB. Imo. 

As I’ve said before, Kirk for 10 million is great, Kirk for 30 million is a disaster. Stafford the same, it’s not about Kirk, is about how much a solid QB can do from the pocket, it’s just not worth 30 million if the best you can do is get what the X’s & O’s provide. Rodgers, Watson, Mahomes, & Wilson make plays the X’s & O’s can’t account for, they are a different class of QB because of that. The other guys are worth what’s around them. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Yes, letting Cousins walk was dumb.  Just like Williams, and any other good player here, Snyder can’t build a team to save his life.

So here we are now, with a broken low end starter, a long time journeyman, a below average backup and a rookie.  With know coaches who know how to plan to their strengths.

Vikings fans have thought signing him was dumb until the last few weeks, and they’ll soon feel that way again.

55 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This is kind of copyrighted but .... Hi there.

Note to everyone else in this thread do not respond to this post.

I’m a good boy.

I assume you meant not to respond to the post quoted. 🤨

21 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

they never gave a fair shake because he was a Shanny guy that eventually unseated their beloved.

This pretty much sums up the reason why Kirk was rejected by a decent portion of the fan base.  Stephen A. Smith essentially admitted to this on First Take.  

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/08/16/first-take-hosts-try-so-hard-to-spin-kirk-cousins-comments/

14 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

IIt would also help if he beats a team that is considered a contender (Its never happened, I'm not even sure he's beaten a team that finished a season above 500, if so it could only be once and that was back in 2015). 

The 2016 Packers...you know the team that lost in the NFC Championship game...in *gasp*, PRIME TIME!

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The 2016 Packers...you know the team that lost in the NFC Championship game...in *gasp*, PRIME TIME!

As I pointed out I thought it happened once, I was just wrong on the year, actually in 2017 he also beat Seattle who finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs. 

But with that being said, what's your point?  That beating 2 teams that finished with a winning record in 4 1/2 years of being a starting QB is a good thing?

One had 10 wins and the other missed the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

But with that being said, what's your point?  That beating 2 teams that finished with a winning record in 4 1/2 years of being a starting QB is a good thing?

Wins/losses are a team stat, not an individual one.  Look up Alex Smith's "wins and losses" pre-Andy Reid and post-Andy Reid.  

13 hours ago, volsmet said:

As I’ve said before, Kirk for 10 million is great, Kirk for 30 million is a disaster. Stafford the same, it’s not about Kirk, is about how much a solid QB can do from the pocket, it’s just not worth 30 million if the best you can do is get what the X’s & O’s provide. Rodgers, Watson, Mahomes, & Wilson make plays the X’s & O’s can’t account for, they are a different class of QB because of that. The other guys are worth what’s around them. 

I've debated plenty on the Kirk issue.  I don't 100% agree with volsmet on the subject but I 100% respect his opinion and miles above some of the others I debated on the issue.  He has a point specific on QBs that have nothing much to do with those individual QBs but the principal of only paying for elite QBs.  Heck he even debated me about whether Brees was worth paying.  So its pure football stuff -- pure team building.  Honest football discussion. 

Having debated others on Kirk, for some (not all) it often delves into personal stuff, definition of greed, some RG3 underpinnings, team loyalty, Bruce, Dan, the actual negotiation and whether it was played well -- a lot gets into the soup and it gets heated.  volsmet wasn't part of those debates.   He's keeping it pure football.  I mostly agree with volsmet on stuff but when we disagree he makes me think because its all football X and O's for the most part.   And it's good stuff. 

Having said that, here's my take on it:

A.  The Alex Smith trade IMO was a debacle and compounded by Bruce being willing to do for him what he wasn't willing to do for Kirk and that is give 3 years (actually 3 plus) guaranteed money.  That will hurt our roster for years.  

B. To piggybank off of point A, if I recall we are paying more for the Qb position than any other team in the league, or maybe top 3 now?  Whatever it is we are paying top dollar right now for crap QB play.   We are definitely not getting the last laugh.  It was misplayed IMO anyway you cut it.  If you are going to let Kirk go, start over, go young. 

C.  Would we be better off keeping Kirk versus what we did next?  I think by a mile.  No doubt.  

D.  I was opposed paying Kirk 27 million dollars.  I was ok with 24 but if they were smart they could have gotten it even cheaper.  I think framing the discussion as 27 million or bust misrepresents the negotiation.  Bruce IMO created the 27 million drill with the tags.

E.  If I thought Kirk was a bum and stunk (which i don't) I'd actually hate the way we handled it even more.  Trade the dude.  A 3rd round comp pick for him is a joke.

F.  I actually think Kirk is a good to very good QB.  Romo to me is a good comp.  Like Romo he's streaky.  When he's good he can be very good and then kicks in with some awful games, too.  You got some roller coaster with him.  He needs to get over the hump to show he can win the big games at the end of the season.

G.  I am never married to any Redskins player current or ex -- my issue with the Kirk handling was in my view the same fool who mishandled that is still running the team.  If Bruce were gone, I wouldn't give a rats behind about anything relating to Kirk.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Bruce was gone, I wouldn't give a rats behind about anything relating to Kirk.  

This point gets lost on the Kirk haters.  They think the Kirk lovers are married to him.  Absolutely not.  But since Allen is still here I absolutely am rooting for him to win a Superbowl (or a deep playoff run) as another knock against that moron.

20 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

As I pointed out I thought it happened once, I was just wrong on the year, actually in 2017 he also beat Seattle who finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs. 

That was the best Kirk game imo, nobody healthy & he made a few spectacular clutch throws up in Seattle. 

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This point gets lost on the Kirk haters.  They think the Kirk lovers are married to him.  Absolutely not.  But since Allen is still here I absolutely am rooting for him to win a Superbowl (or a deep playoff run) as another knock against that moron.

I am for anything, Kirk or name that player or situation that embarrasses Dan enough to change and get rid of Bruce.   You got me though what if anything effects Dan psychologically.  But am all for anything that does. 

16 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Wins/losses are a team stat, not an individual one.  Look up Alex Smith's "wins and losses" pre-Andy Reid and post-Andy Reid.  

Thank you, Grant Paulsen and I disagree.

Where are all these great QB's who led their teams to mediocrity or 500 records?

Im shocked so many of you still hate on Cousins.  Lol its insane to me.  Not worth the money?  Look what Alex smith did for the money.  Look what ANY OF OUR BIG PRICED PLAYERS HAVE DONE for the money?!?  If we had cousins right now, we never would be 1-7 and would be in playoff contention.  Instead just like BEFORE COUSINS, were talking about the freaking draft halfway through the season.  A lot of you guys took him for granted and didn't know a good thing when you had it.  Cowboy fans with Romo did it, Steeler fans do it with Ben. Ridiculous.

Archived