Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

I do. Not so much as the player, but what a home developed QB would have meant for the culture. 

He's a good QB. probably top 10-15. He had a hard start to the season, but that's the way his career has always gone.

What bothered me is that he continued to develop, won the job and the team just wouldn't commit with him. I think he went from wanting to be a Redskins for life (and get that contract) to wanting to be a FA. 

Do I think the Redskins should have paid the contract he got in FA to keep him? Hell no. Do I think there were multiple opportunities to lock him in for an Andy Dalton type deal? Absolutely. 

Anyway, looking at what we've done at QB since he's left and how much it cost us wouldn't it had been better to have someone consistently there? 

You’re asking a bunch of people that pinned the failures (which now look like great feats) of the team on him.  

A great many of these people championed the move to Alex Smith and really believed the team was 6-3 last year because Alex was a ‘gamer’ and a ‘winner’ that Kirk was not.  Nevermind the fact that every time Alex played a good team, they got destroyed. 

So I don’t think you’ll ever get many of these guys to admit how stupid it was for this organizations or it’s fans to turn their noses up at Kirk.

That said, Kirk isn’t the type of QB to right this ship.  I’m not sure any QB is though really.  Way too many wasted resources here to build a roster Kirk is capable of leading anywhere meaningful.  If anything, signing Kirk long term would have led to more years of Bruce Allen, and Kirk being the scapegoat for his ineptitude.

Letting Cousins go worked out for Smith, Keenum,  Haskins, and most of all Kirk Cousins who got a great contract with a better organization.  He's 6-2 with a team that has a shot this year.  It's hard for me to imagine the Redskins ever building a roster as good as the 2019 Vikings.  People want to be with the Vikings whereas in Washington they don't even know how to keep their Offensive Captain and perennial Pro Bowl LT happy much less attract other talent. 

Everyone else lost out starting with Gruden, who lost his job.  The fans lost two seasons including this 2019 debacle.  With Cousins the Redskins would be in the hunt for the division this year because the division is weak.  Things would have been different if Smith had stayed healthy but he didn't.  Of course it was a mistake to let Cousins go, Kirk was the best thing to happen in the Daniel Snyder era and they let him get away.

He never really did anything here but put up numbers. And that was fun for a while no lie. But eventually it got to the point where his numbers didnt do the team any good when we needed to win to keep the season going and I got tired of that pretty fast. 

If he starts winning post season games maybe I will regret it. But right now he would just be one position we had figured out compared to the many many many we do not. Also he would have to do something with this offense, which I remind you has nothing going for it but Terry. And I dont think he had that kind of skill to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, mike42 said:

100% regretting it. Very idiotic. It turned out worse than I could possible imagine. We finally a respectable QB and we let this one get away.

Just out of curiousity, where did you stand in the years leading to his departure?  I'm just interested to see if any of Kirk's biggest detractors are willing to own up.

The funniest ones to me are not those who have lofty goals for the team and don't believe Kirk is a Super Bowl caliber QB.  I can at least see that, because he lacks the ability to take off and run when teams pin their ears back, and it's what will prevent him from ever being truly 'great'.  But for the guys who say they realize the team is what it is with Dan and Bruce at the helm, can't imagine letting a guy like Kerrigan go because of the warm and fuzzies he provides them, and ultimately just want to watch some decent, competitive football --- it cracks me up seeing those guys say they have no regrets about how badly they crapped on a guy they never gave a fair shake because he was a Shanny guy that eventually unseated their beloved. <--- Because that's what it is and what it's always been.  They'll never admit that either.  Even though their posting history is out there for the world to see if anyone is interested to go that far back in time and confirm that what I'm saying is fact and not debatable.

Just now, Rdskns2000 said:

No.  He didn't do enough here to justify us signing him to the money he wanted.  

We know what he got from the Vikings after the Skins released him but the only Cousins salary request I recall that became public was his request something like 16M per year and two years guaranteed.  I may be off a little bit but I'm pretty sure it was something close.  Snyder decided to tag him instead I suppose expecting Cousins to want continue the discussions rather than saying thanks, 19.5M for one year sounds great!  In the end Cousins got a big 3 year deal with the Vikings but I don't remember him ever disclosing what he wanted from the Vikings in 2016 or later.

Not a bit. Cousins is a fumbler and hasn't performed under pressure. If you look at his performances and the teams he played he hasn't exactly beat any good teams. Here are the teams, their defensive ranking, score of the game and what cousins has done against them:

Team                              Score                              W/L                             Defense rank                           PC/ATT         Yds                TD       Int            Fumbles

Atlanta Falcons           28-12                                 W                                    27                                         8/10              98                    1          0                0

Green Bay Packers     21-16                                  L                                     22                                        14/32           230                   1          2                2

Oakland Raiders         34-14                                 W                                    25                                        15/21            174                    1          0                0

Chicago Bears             16-6                                    L                                      7                                         27/36          233                   0         0                2

New York Giants         28-10                                W                                    28                                        22/27          306                   2          0               0

Philadelphia Eagles    38-20                               W                                    14                                         22/29          333                   4          1                0

Detriot Lions               42-30                               W                                    31                                         24/34           338                   4         0                0

Washington Redskins 19-9                                 W                                    26                                        23/26           285                  0          0                0

So what is so special about Cousins? He put up great numbers against poor defenses and was aided by a good RB that was over 100 yds each game except 3. But in both loses he committed 6 turnovers in which 4 were fumbles for which he is known for. Not exactly an elite QB.

1 hour ago, mike42 said:

100% regretting it. Very idiotic. It turned out worse than I could possible imagine. We finally a respectable QB and we let this one get away.

He hasn’t beat a winning team this season, how would that change here???  He still be would stuck with a horrendous Swiss cheese defense.  Cousins will get run over the first playoff game.

Kirk is much better than Keenum; I didn’t feel this way before watching Keenum consistently this year, so the current state of definitely love to have above average QB play— a professional at QB. Alex and Kirk are in same stratosphere of QBs, bummer about the injury. The Skins most likely would be in the thick of the playoff hunt and NFC east with Alex. 

Kirk wanted no part of an Alex Smith deal signed or 10% of the cap. 

But I’m on the extreme end of the QB pay debate and realize it. For example, I’d rather go with a Brisset, Bridgewater, or even take a shot at a Tannehill type and pay them 5-7% of the cap while trying to find a stud young QB in the draft. Or next year, Dalton will great value to a franchise and probably will only command 6-8% of someone’s cap, if that. 

12 minutes ago, paloosa said:

Not a bit. Cousins is a fumbler and hasn't performed under pressure. If you look at his performances and the teams he played he hasn't exactly beat any good teams. Here are the teams, their defensive ranking, score of the game and what cousins has done against them:

Team                              Score                              W/L                             Defense rank                           PC/ATT         Yds                TD       Int            Fumbles

Atlanta Falcons           28-12                                 W                                    27                                         8/10              98                    1          0                0

Green Bay Packers     21-16                                  L                                     22                                        14/32           230                   1          2                2

Oakland Raiders         34-14                                 W                                    25                                        15/21            174                    1          0                0

Chicago Bears             16-6                                    L                                      7                                         27/36          233                   0         0                2

New York Giants         28-10                                W                                    28                                        22/27          306                   2          0               0

Philadelphia Eagles    38-20                               W                                    14                                         22/29          333                   4          1                0

Detriot Lions               42-30                               W                                    31                                         24/34           338                   4         0                0

Washington Redskins 19-9                                 W                                    26                                        23/26           285                  0          0                0

So what is so special about Cousins? He put up great numbers against poor defenses and was aided by a good RB that was over 100 yds each game except 3. But in both loses he committed 6 turnovers in which 4 were fumbles for which he is known for. Not exactly an elite QB.

Nobody let's an elite QB go.  Eh, nevermind - Bruce might.  But still...it's never been about is Kirk an elite QB, pretty much everyone already knows he's not.

I just find it odd that Redskins fans of all people, have the audacity to be holding out for an elite QB, when we've been just trying to lock up one decent one for basically ever.  The same Redskins teams that pay both our own and free agents top of the market contracts that also aren't top of the market players, at other positions.

Let's be honest here, and pretend Dwayne Haskins hasn't played an NFL down yet, and optimism is as high as it was in the offseason.  We'd be thinking our lucky stars if he was as good as Cousins at any point, and even if he got there - by that time, he'll also want a top of market contract.

The only guy here who i don't necessarily agree with about the QB position, but at least makes some semblance of sense, is @volsmet.  In that you never ever pay any QB not named Mahomes a top of market QB contract and you just keep trying to recycle affordable quarterbacks by building beast teams around them.  I'm not sure that would ever really work, but there is logic behind it that I can respect.  All this other stuff is just picking nits for the sake of holding onto long time convictions.

53 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Nobody let's an elite QB go.  Eh, nevermind - Bruce might.  But still...it's never been about is Kirk an elite QB, pretty much everyone already knows he's not.

I just find it odd that Redskins fans of all people, have the audacity to be holding out for an elite QB, when we've been just trying to lock up one decent one for basically ever.  The same Redskins teams that pay both our own and free agents top of the market contracts that also aren't top of the market players, at other positions.

Let's be honest here, and pretend Dwayne Haskins hasn't played an NFL down yet, and optimism is as high as it was in the offseason.  We'd be thinking our lucky stars if he was as good as Cousins at any point, and even if he got there - by that time, he'll also want a top of market contract.

The only guy here who i don't necessarily agree with about the QB position, but at least makes some semblance of sense, is @volsmet.  In that you never ever pay any QB not named Mahomes a top of market QB contract and you just keep trying to recycle affordable quarterbacks by building beast teams around them.  I'm not sure that would ever really work, but there is logic behind it that I can respect.  All this other stuff is just picking nits for the sake of holding onto long time convictions.

I am not saying he is a bad QB but he is not a guy that thrives under pressure and is a fumbler. Even the NFL analyst have put up the stats on him and they aren't completely sold on him either. If you look at numbers he is a good fit but if you look at wins against the best defense he is not even a guy that I would want under center. Yeah I didn't like the way it was handled by Allen and Snyder but I think it was the best move.

First off, I don't regret not paying him what he got in Minnesota. That said, let's see ....

Character guy

Never gets injured

Home-grown talent drafted by the team

His success lessened the blow of the RG3 failure (this one gets overlooked too often)

Set multiple franchise records

Strong in the community

Yeah, why WOULDN'T we regret letting a douchebag like that go? Of course we should. 

No, he's not elite. He would still be the worst QB in the division, more than likely. But he's worlds better than anything we have now. It doesn't matter anyway. With the brain-dead trust running this team, everyone is doomed to fail. 

On 10/29/2019 at 5:33 PM, volsmet said:

He stinks. The only thing that would make this season worse is having that goofball here.

Yeah, Kirk and his boring 4,000K+ yards, 70% completion rate, 30 TDs, 10 INT, 100+ rating, and incessant taking responsibility for mistakes wore on me also.  Cousins didn't tackle or block worth a damn, no wonder the Skins were mediocre with him starting.  The Skins were much smarter than the Vikings when they got a franchise QB, Smith, for 71M for 3 years and saved 13M or 4.3M per year, clearly, Dan and Bruce dodged a bullet when they released Cousins.   

Just now, Veryoldschool said:

Yeah, Kirk and his boring 4,000K+ yards, 70% completion rate, 30 TDs, 10 INT, 100+ rating, and incessant taking responsibility for mistakes wore on me also.  Cousins didn't tackle or block with a damn, no wonder the Skins were mediocre with him starting.  The Skins were much smarter than the Vikings when they got a franchise QB, Smith, for 71M for 3 years and saved 13M or 4.3M per year, clearly, Dan and Bruce dodged a bullet when they released Cousins.   

If I only had the stats in front of me, I’d have been more prepared for the test. Kirk is a slow minded, one read, choke artist, game manager with a nice arm. 

Your strawman skills are impressive, I didn’t want Alex Smith here, I’m not the Redskins, dear. 

Archived